Cycle Chic

Ross

Re: Cycle Chic

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am

^Not wanting to take away the "chicness" of the lady above but a mini skirt isn't the most practical item of clothing for a female to wear while cyling and thongs/sandals can be problemetic from a safety POV. Also while we are on the subject of safety I'd be a bit concerned about the hand bag slipping off the shoulder and she would be better off to strap the flowers to the rack rather than trying to clutch them in one hand and hold the handlebars and squeeze the brake lever and signal a turn. And what's that purple thing dangling off the handlebars, a bike lock maybe? That needs to be secured rather than waiting to fall off and get caught in the spokes.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:52 am

Ross wrote:and thongs/sandals can be problemetic from a safety POV. Also while we are on the subject of safety ...
All I can say from a safety POV is: "Welcome to Holland!" where cycling is considered to be just a more effective form of walking (rather than a risky, sporty activity).

And that lady wouldn't get a second glance yet their cycling injury rates are well below everybody else's.

ps- that does look like a lock.
pps - click through and read the article.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Probably has a top speed of 15kph, so if any of the noted issues happened she could simply stop
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:28 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Probably has a top speed of 15kph, so if any of the noted issues happened she could simply stop
I was riding at walking pace with a bag dangling from my handlebars and it slipped off and caught in the spokes and I stopped - when my head hit the ground after going over the handlebars

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:16 pm

Ross wrote:I was riding at walking pace with a bag dangling from my handlebars and it slipped off and caught in the spokes and I stopped - when my head hit the ground after going over the handlebars
You clutz! I think I was about nine the last time I fell for that (fishing rod that time)

Did you remember to say your "OMG MY HELMET SAVED ME!" three times while genuflecting in the direction of the Victorian College of Surgeons :D :D

Anyway, back to the topic at hand
The Guardian has a set of fashion shots from the '30s up at the moment, including this one. I'd have saved it for next month but it may be ephemeral.

I love the paint and the handlebars. And the chain guard. And the stand. And the posing is just, well, so charming. The outfit, on the other hand....

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Thoglette wrote:
I love the paint and the handlebars. And the chain guard. And the stand. And the posing is just, well, so charming. The outfit, on the other hand....
No - those shoes are very, very cool.

Thoglette

Your monthly Scott Schuman

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Back to your regularly schedule Sartorialist shot
Friday, November 19, 2010
On the Street….Place Vendôme, Paris
Interesting, the photo's comments were all about the shoes, which are now rather dated. The rest (especially the bike) is classic and timeless.

Hmm: Apart from the LED rear light, the bike is almost unchanged from a century ago! (hmm 2: I can't find a date for the first bottle dynamo )

vitellan

Re: Your monthly Scott Schuman

Postby vitellan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Thoglette wrote:Back to your regularly schedule Sartorialist shot
Friday, November 19, 2010
On the Street….Place Vendôme, Paris
Interesting, the photo's comments were all about the shoes, which are now rather dated. The rest (especially the bike) is classic and timeless.

Hmm: Apart from the LED rear light, the bike is almost unchanged from a century ago! (hmm 2: I can't find a date for the first bottle dynamo )
Try this link, German

http://www.rijwiel.net/licht_d.htm

Thoglette

Re: Your monthly Scott Schuman

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:26 pm

vitellan wrote:Try this link, German

http://www.rijwiel.net/licht_d.htm
Vielen Dank! (Has an example from 1913, for those playing at home)

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Ross wrote:^Not wanting to take away the "chicness" of the lady above but a mini skirt isn't the most practical item of clothing for a female to wear while cyling and thongs/sandals can be problemetic from a safety POV. Also while we are on the subject of safety I'd be a bit concerned about the hand bag slipping off the shoulder and she would be better off to strap the flowers to the rack rather than trying to clutch them in one hand and hold the handlebars and squeeze the brake lever and signal a turn. And what's that purple thing dangling off the handlebars, a bike lock maybe? That needs to be secured rather than waiting to fall off and get caught in the spokes.
Gee way to go about promoting cycling. Why do so many cyclists feel the need to be scaremongers?

In many places. cycling and especially The Netherlands, is approached in a manner not too different from walking. Why does the clothing, footwear and what she is carrying matter?
Ross wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Probably has a top speed of 15kph, so if any of the noted issues happened she could simply stop
I was riding at walking pace with a bag dangling from my handlebars and it slipped off and caught in the spokes and I stopped - when my head hit the ground after going over the handlebars
:oops: We all make our own choices based on our own abilities. I would suggest she is also doing that.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:08 pm

human909 wrote:Image
Ross wrote:^Not wanting to take away the "chicness" of the lady above but a mini skirt isn't the most practical item of clothing for a female to wear while cyling and thongs/sandals can be problemetic from a safety POV. Also while we are on the subject of safety I'd be a bit concerned about the hand bag slipping off the shoulder and she would be better off to strap the flowers to the rack rather than trying to clutch them in one hand and hold the handlebars and squeeze the brake lever and signal a turn. And what's that purple thing dangling off the handlebars, a bike lock maybe? That needs to be secured rather than waiting to fall off and get caught in the spokes.
Gee way to go about promoting cycling. Why do so many cyclists feel the need to be scaremongers?

In many places. cycling and especially The Netherlands, is approached in a manner not too different from walking. Why does the clothing, footwear and what she is carrying matter?
Ross wrote:
:oops: We all make our own choices based on our own abilities. I would suggest she is also doing that.
In the Netherlands and elderly Australian I know was abused (in english) for wearing a helmet. Isn't that discrimination based on what one was wearing

BTY what if I'm not a lady, will I be denied services offered by the shop behind?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:59 am

I'm not sure your point or relevance here.
mikesbytes wrote:In the Netherlands and elderly Australian I know was abused (in english) for wearing a helmet. Isn't that discrimination based on what one was wearing
In a country of 17 million people I am not surprised there are some people willing to be jerks.
mikesbytes wrote:BTY what if I'm not a lady, will I be denied services offered by the shop behind?
How does this even relate to cycling? (We also have stores with gendered names in Australia.)

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:56 am

I like occasionally checking this thread. I've noticed though that the majority of the images are either from overseas or historical Australian images. While I like these it would be good to see more examples of contemporary Aussie cycle chic.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:05 am

twowheels wrote:While I like these it would be good to see more examples of contemporary Aussie cycle chic.
This lady has been blogging about it for years.
https://veloaporter.com/

Short skirts, short dresses, high heels! Oh My! :shock: :lol:

Or just come hang out at this Park St cafe in Melbourne. You'll see plenty both arriving at the cafe and along the bike path. :mrgreen: Sorry I don't have photos. I'll dig some up:

You can check out the assortment of photos on Freestyle cyclists. Not all 'Chic', certainly not the few with me in it. But just regular cyclists wearing what they choose.
https://www.facebook.com/FreestyleCycli ... =3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/FreestyleCycli ... =3&theater
Open toed shoes: CHECK
Items hanging off handle bars: CHECK
No helmet: CHECK
Coffee in hand: CHECK
Australia: You betcha. :wink:

Some people in this thread might have a heart attack.

And here is the crowd the previous year cruising down the road! Again, oh my!

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:07 pm

love it!

imagine what the matchy-matchy crowd would say! :lol:

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:24 pm

human909 wrote:
twowheels wrote:While I like these it would be good to see more examples of contemporary Aussie cycle chic.
This lady has been blogging about it for years.
https://veloaporter.com/

Short skirts, short dresses, high heels! Oh My! :shock: :lol:

Or just come hang out at this Park St cafe in Melbourne. You'll see plenty both arriving at the cafe and along the bike path. :mrgreen: Sorry I don't have photos. I'll dig some up:

You can check out the assortment of photos on Freestyle cyclists. Not all 'Chic', certainly not the few with me in it. But just regular cyclists wearing what they choose.

Some people in this thread might have a heart attack.

And here is the crowd the previous year cruising down the road! Again, oh my!
Already follow Freestyle Cyclists on FB. My original point remains - I like occasionally checking this thread. I've noticed though that the majority of the images are either from overseas or historical Australian images. While I like these it would be good to see more examples of contemporary Aussie cycle chic.

Recently I saw a young girl coasting down a hill on a retro ladies bike, complete with front wicker basket. Hands free, both wrapped around a sandwich she was munching. Tre cool chic. No chance to take a photo unfortunately.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:05 pm

twowheels wrote:Recently I saw a young girl coasting down a hill on a retro ladies bike, complete with front wicker basket. Hands free, both wrapped around a sandwich she was munching. Tre cool chic. No chance to take a photo unfortunately.
I'd be more concerned if you did take a photo.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:02 pm

twowheels wrote:Already follow Freestyle Cyclists on FB. My original point remains - I like occasionally checking this thread. I've noticed though that the majority of the images are either from overseas or historical Australian images. While I like these it would be good to see more examples of contemporary Aussie cycle chic.
Two intimately related causes. You'll find exactly one post by me of someone wearing a helmet (and I'm just curating other people's work). In Australia, the majority of cyclists wear "cycling specific clothes" and expect to have a shower afterwards.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:30 pm

P!N20 wrote:
twowheels wrote:Recently I saw a young girl coasting down a hill on a retro ladies bike, complete with front wicker basket. Hands free, both wrapped around a sandwich she was munching. Tre cool chic. No chance to take a photo unfortunately.
I'd be more concerned if you did take a photo.
Indeed. My description inaccurate. Young, compared to me, but an adult. I would only photograph with permission, but then the candid moment would be lost & obviously staged.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:04 pm

twowheels wrote:My original point remains - I like occasionally checking this thread. I've noticed though that the majority of the images are either from overseas or historical Australian images. While I like these it would be good to see more examples of contemporary Aussie cycle chic.
Demanding aren't you. :P :lol:

I stopped on the way home from a quick shop and took a few photos.

Just you run of the mill Brunswick cyclists, who stopped to take a photo. Some might say cycling chic. Others would just say somebody dressed for a sunny day out and happens to be riding a bicycle...

Some people might recognise the two people above.... :wink:

Getting more politicians like this into government would be better for cycling. And no, these bikes aren't there for showboating politics. It is just the easier, healthier and more practical way of getting around the suburb. Tim's child had also ridden with him for the occasion.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Noosa Cycling Chic.

(a) Only drop bar roadies are obligated to wear helmets
(b) All other bikes except MTB enthusiasts out on the trails - helmet optional
(c) Tourists - helmet optional
(d) Thongs (flip flops) - check
(e) carry surf or boogie boards - check.
(f) Surf Groms - Helmet highly optional - subject to peer pressure

This morning I stopped for a Coffee in Noosaville. 6 elderly Oz locals came in. All on hybrids or e-bikes. One was wearing the helmet. The others had their helmets in the front basket.

A quick roadside check indicated in excess of 80% of helmet less riders. The QLD government could rake in a fortune on fines.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:The QLD government could rake in a fortune on fines.
Shhhhhh......
We don't want dirty NSW tactics up here.

Thoglette

Your monthly Scott Schuman

Postby Thoglette » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:03 pm

The last of The Sartorialist for the year.
Friday, December 18, 2012
On the Street….Broadway, New York

A Christmas themed outfit Perhaps not for me, even if the bike matches my daily ride fairly well. But while I know my port from starboard the young lad's puzzled expression fits in well with where I am right now: recovering from a (very minor) injury; a number of changes in my life to digest; and with plenty to think about in terms of what I do I want to aim for over the next decade or so.

It's sort of fitting to mention this now as I've also just about finished mining Scott's work for cycle related images so this may be the last "monthly" post.

Anyway, I hope you all have a safe, sane and hopefully chic year ahead.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:49 am

twowheels wrote:I like occasionally checking this thread. I've noticed though that the majority of the images are either from overseas or historical Australian images. While I like these it would be good to see more examples of contemporary Aussie cycle chic.
Again I wish to answer this. Cycling Chic isn't really my thing. I'm not chic on or off my bike, but a many of you know I'm for anything that promotes everyday cycling. And cycling chic is one of them. Australian cycling chic is alive and well in some parts of our country.

So here is a couple of photos. Some taken by myself, this morning.

This one not mine,from here:

This taken this morning. One of the ladies pictured has clocked up some decently ranked Strava segments on her other bike. :mrgreen:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Full marks to Human, for not letting the helmet stop him from posting a good pic. :)