Queensland Cyclist Assaulted by Pedestrian

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:54 pm

Brisbane cyclist left with fractured ankle in clash with pedestrian on footpath
Melinda Howells, ABC online wrote: A Brisbane cyclist has been left with a fractured ankle after a shocking clash with a pedestrian, which was captured on bike-mounted cameras.

James Stevenson said he was riding to work in the Brisbane CBD on October 10 when he brushed past a man on the footpath on Hutton Lane.

"I moved over to the left as far left as possible so both of us could pass on our way," Mr Stevenson said.

"Unfortunately, he didn't seem to want to give me much room, so our shoulders touched.

"I didn't give it much thought and just carried on. Next thing I know is I feel a punch from behind.
Last edited by find_bruce on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved posts to keep discussion in one place
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Usernoname

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Usernoname » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:15 pm

Hopefully police action, but unlikely. Best outcome his employers get outed and shamed into doing something. Wearing some sort of access card, so fuel for employer to link.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:44 pm

She asked anyone with information about the incident to contact QPS.
Thats always a troubling statement to read. It's pretty clear cut what happened going by that video, no further information required.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:11 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-23/ ... d/10418068
A Brisbane cyclist has been left with a fractured ankle after a shocking clash with a pedestrian, which was captured on bike-mounted cameras.

James Stevenson said he was riding to work in the Brisbane CBD on October 10 when he brushed past a man on the footpath on Hutton Lane.

"I moved over to the left as far left as possible so both of us could pass on our way," Mr Stevenson said.

"Unfortunately, he didn't seem to want to give me much room, so our shoulders touched.

"I didn't give it much thought and just carried on. Next thing I know is I feel a punch from behind.
Hopefully we do see some appropriate Police action from this.

Shred11

Re: Queensland Cyclist Assaulted by Pedestrian

Postby Shred11 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:52 pm

The law requires cyclists to keep left on footpaths and shared paths. The cyclist was doing nothing wrong.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Shred11 wrote:The law requires cyclists to keep left on footpaths and shared paths. The cyclist was doing nothing wrong.
Regardless of positioning on the footpath, a punch from behind is assault. Does Queensland have specific One Punch laws?

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:17 pm

simurs4 wrote:
Thats always a troubling statement to read. It's pretty clear cut what happened going by that video, no further information required.
Maybe they need public help to identify the assailant.

p.s. Obviously there was no excuse for the attack, but IMO the cyclist should have passed on the right, or stopped. There just wasn't room to pass on the left.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:but IMO the cyclist should have passed on the right, or stopped. There just wasn't room to pass on the left.
Except that the vast majority of peds would have stepped to the left without a thought to allow a fellow human to pass by without causing contact and no need to stop, the usual exception being one of those ipeds not looking where they are going.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:28 pm

Shred11 wrote:The law requires cyclists to keep left on footpaths and shared paths. The cyclist was doing nothing wrong.
The law requires us to give way to pedestrians, which the cyclist didn't quite do. And certainly in SA, it would have been legal for the cyclist to pass on the right; we only need to pass other cyclists on the left. I think the cyclist should have passed on the right, or stopped.

But of course nothing justifies the retaliation; the pedestrian should be charged with assault.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:33 pm

the disproportionate response from the ped is what will bring him undone, especially considering he has occasioned actual bodily harm...he is proper phukked.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:27 pm

Will be interesting to see the pedestrian's social media and news site comments, in case the Judge Dredd righteousnous was premeditated and publicly declared.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:40 pm

This is all assuming the Ped can be identified and subsequently arrested/charged/summonsed etc..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:09 am

Interesting to note in the article how there is information about "how he was going to work" and the mention of the wife etc etc .... IOW adding a "person" issue that defies the logic (probably not the best choice of words) of the anti-cyclist jihadistic rhetoric. If there was a conversely themed thread to "the constant smear campaign against cyclists", this might rate a mention.
If providence should conspire to grant you 15 minutes of fame under similar conditions, therein lie a few clues about suitable keywords to drop to the press gallery.

What struck me was how juvenile captain beefheart appeared. Middle aged office worker suddenly undergoes a hormonal change and turns into the equivalent of an antisocial 16 year old disenfranchised from society .... I'm not sure that is what they mean when they say cycling makes people feel younger ... Hopefully this gets broader news coverage, complete with enlarged images of captain beefheart's mug.
Go!Run!GAH!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:13 am

Captain Beefheart and Norm from LifeBeInIt join forces for a new Find30 campaign, licensing Victoria Bitter theme song "you can get 30 any old how..."
Path if least commute probably find the guy indignantly on the same corner tomorrow same bat time.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:59 am

Actually captain beefheart bears a stark resemblance to the Guardian's, First Dog on the Moon's "Ian, the climate denialist potato"

Last edited by Cheesewheel on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go!Run!GAH!

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:24 am

Usernoname wrote:Hopefully police action, but unlikely. Best outcome his employers get outed and shamed into doing something. Wearing some sort of access card, so fuel for employer to link.
That's clear assault. Even if there was a substantial thump in the shoulder pass, to then run and pursue to smack them in the back of the head (and subsequently knock them off their bike and fracture their ankle) is assault. The moment you pursue and attack, you automatically lose most of your hopes to claim defense ..... moreso if such doofusness is captured on camera and the cloudiness of conflicting testimony gets somewhat aired.
Go!Run!GAH!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:22 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:
The law requires us to give way to pedestrians, which the cyclist didn't quite do. And certainly in SA, it would have been legal for the cyclist to pass on the right; we only need to pass other cyclists on the left. I think the cyclist should have passed on the right, or stopped.

But of course nothing justifies the retaliation; the pedestrian should be charged with assault.
The bully would then have stepped to his left causing a collision. The bully was determined to produce an incident.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:23 am

I know it's a bit hard to cover all bases, but that lady in the back ground might have been a good eye witness to get a statement from.
But it is hard in the spur of the moment.
Probably lucky he got punched and not been hit with a 30 kg lunch bag.... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 am

outnabike wrote:I know it's a bit hard to cover all bases, but that lady in the back ground might have been a good eye witness to get a statement from.
You're displaying fat phobia. Have some compassion. You don't understand what it's like living in a world of small lunch bags.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 am

simurs4 wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:Maybe they need public help to identify the assailant.
Where the police want to identify someone they usually say so directly.

What I suspect is that the video shows the assault, but what it doesn't show is assault causing the cyclist to fracture his ankle. The reason that is important to police is that in Qld common assault is a misdemeanor (minor crime) with a maximum penalty of 3 years in prison, & often punished with just a fine, whereas assault occasioning bodily harm is a much more serious offence with a maximum penalty of 7 years in prison & more often results in time in prison

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am

madmacca wrote: Does Queensland have specific One Punch laws?
Yes.

My take: charge cyclist with failing to give way -~$200 fine
Charge ped with one punch attack. He goes to jail

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:44 am

It's really no different to two pedestrians clashing shoulders. Even if the bicycle stopped Cartman was going to shoulder check him.
Cartman then turned it into assault, which also happens between pedestrians.

Should all be pretty simple case of assault if he can be identified.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 am

madmacca wrote:Does Queensland have specific One Punch laws?
I think they apply to death, not just punching someone from behind. That's just normal assault.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:31 am

Jmuzz wrote:
madmacca wrote:Does Queensland have specific One Punch laws?
I think they apply to death, not just punching someone from behind. That's just normal assault.
Appears you are right. Sadly. So just common assualt

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:17 pm

biker jk wrote:
outnabike wrote:I know it's a bit hard to cover all bases, but that lady in the back ground might have been a good eye witness to get a statement from.
You're displaying fat phobia. Have some compassion. You don't understand what it's like living in a world of small lunch bags.
Maybe it could be my fixation on his similarity to Ian the Clumate Denialist Potato, but I think that is a big lump of coal and not his lunchbag in his hand.
Go!Run!GAH!