The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

duncanm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby duncanm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 am

AdelaidePeter wrote: I know what I wouldn't do: smash a windscreen. That's totally unacceptable.
does anyone seriously think they can smash a windscreen with their fist? I bet that bloke didn't. I suspect it escalated beyond whet he thought it would.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:53 am

duncanm wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote: I know what I wouldn't do: smash a windscreen. That's totally unacceptable.
does anyone seriously think they can smash a windscreen with their fist? I bet that bloke didn't. I suspect it escalated beyond whet he thought it would.
I very much doubt I could without breaking bones. Esp when not in the middle of the screen. You could do it easily enough with a heavy metal bike light or lock though...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 pm

jasonc wrote:came in early this morning, way before sunrise, runners on the bike path again, no lights. wearing black clothing, oh joy.
Went back through the footage. Can't see him in the footage

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Riding around a local lake on the shared path, I saw two dog walkers approaching each other from opposite directions up ahead, on a curve in the path. I wasn't in a rush and didn't want to overtake in an unsafe manner, so I slowed and stopped a few metres behind them as the two dogs said hello to each other. The guy heard me unclip behind him and put my feet down, and he moved apart on the path, but the dogs were still sniffing each other so I waited with a nod and a smile.

When there was sufficient space, I slowly wheeled through, then as I was clipping back in, the guy comments "Oh, it's only a cyclist, and he doesn't even have a bell anyway." At which point I put the brakes on, turn around and said "Actually, smart arse, I do have a bell (ring ring) but I didn't use it as I wasn't overtaking you. I was happy to wait. Have a lovely day." That's not all I wanted to say but I left it there.

Would he have preferred if I'd rung my bell then blasted through the tiny gap, hitting both dogs in the face as I went, and scaring the bleep out of him and the other lady?
Or perhaps ring my bell once I've already come to a complete stop and startle them?
Did I do the wrong thing by stopping at a safe distance and politely waiting in a non-aggressive manner?!?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Mububban wrote:Did I do the wrong thing by stopping at a safe distance and politely waiting in a non-aggressive manner?!?
nope. i would have done the same thing. sadly some people spend too much time listening to talk back radio

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Mububban wrote:Riding around a local lake on the shared path, I saw two dog walkers approaching each other from opposite directions up ahead, on a curve in the path. I wasn't in a rush and didn't want to overtake in an unsafe manner, so I slowed and stopped a few metres behind them as the two dogs said hello to each other. The guy heard me unclip behind him and put my feet down, and he moved apart on the path, but the dogs were still sniffing each other so I waited with a nod and a smile.

When there was sufficient space, I slowly wheeled through, then as I was clipping back in, the guy comments "Oh, it's only a cyclist, and he doesn't even have a bell anyway." At which point I put the brakes on, turn around and said "Actually, smart arse, I do have a bell (ring ring) but I didn't use it as I wasn't overtaking you. I was happy to wait. Have a lovely day." That's not all I wanted to say but I left it there.

Would he have preferred if I'd rung my bell then blasted through the tiny gap, hitting both dogs in the face as I went, and scaring the bleep out of him and the other lady?
Or perhaps ring my bell once I've already come to a complete stop and startle them?
Did I do the wrong thing by stopping at a safe distance and politely waiting in a non-aggressive manner?!?
What ever you did would of been wrong, some people are constantly negative. 99% of peds we came across Sunday morning on trail ride, happily moved across into single file to let us pass, and most even said sorry, but one lady who we had slowed to walking pace and politely said bikes back, still had to pipe up about a bell.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:20 pm

duncanm wrote:
A windscreen is made out of safety glass. It has to be by law, that's why it doesn't tend to shatter even when its cracked. Most people would break their wrist before they broke a windscreen. Sure a large solid object will, such as your head when you're not wearing a seat belt, at speed. However, I doubt the average person could break one with their hand.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote: Unfortunately people are people and will lump us all together in the same bag.
And for those that think otherwise consider my situation.

I ride a unicycle and ONLY a unicycle. And all my acquaintances know it.

But I am always being bailed up by those acquaintenances at BBQs and the like to listen to complaints about cyclists. Because I am "one of them".

Yep, in the eyes of the haters there is little difference between any of us. :lol: What one douche did, you ALL did. :roll:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:<<incorrect quote>>
And for those that think otherwise consider my situation.

But I am always being bailed up by those acquaintenances at BBQs and the like to listen to complaints about cyclists. Because I am "one of them".

Yep, in the eyes of the haters there is little difference between any of us. :lol: What one douche did, you ALL did. :roll:
Colin, can you correct your previous post, please? I never posted what you quoted above.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Mububban wrote:Riding around a local lake on the shared path, I saw two dog walkers approaching each other from opposite directions up ahead, on a curve in the path. I wasn't in a rush and didn't want to overtake in an unsafe manner, so I slowed and stopped a few metres behind them as the two dogs said hello to each other. The guy heard me unclip behind him and put my feet down, and he moved apart on the path, but the dogs were still sniffing each other so I waited with a nod and a smile.

You did nothing wrong, but I probably would have done both, i.e. rung my bell (from a fair distance back) AND waited. I remember one time I was slowly passing a group of pedestrians; they apologised for not moving over, and I said something like, "That's ok, the bell's just to let you know I'm coming, not to ask you to move."

westab

Postby westab » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: I ride a unicycle and ONLY a unicycle. And all my acquaintances know it.

I have had this as well - my usual response is asking them to explain the illegal and downright dangerous (or idiotic) behaviour of other car drivers. I usually get a response that how would I know I wasn't there and it wasn't me so why are you asking me.

Often when the words are half out of their mouth the penny drops and we talk about more pleasant things or get more in depth about how both drivers and cyclists both do stupid things - but usually only one method of transport causes death or serious injury; both long term (through inactivity) and short term(through "accidents"). I usually don't get asked a second time. :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:47 pm

westab wrote:. I usually don't get asked a second time. :mrgreen:
Neither do i anymore, although I use different methods. I'm over it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:05 pm

fat and old wrote:
westab wrote:. I usually don't get asked a second time. :mrgreen:
Neither do i anymore, although I use different methods. I'm over it.
I just agree with everything. After 5 minutes of day dreaming, they've normally stopped

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Mububban wrote: Or perhaps ring my bell once I've already come to a complete stop and startle them?
Well it's always a good laugh when you have been sitting there behind them for ages peacefully letting oncoming traffic pass and then when you pass at +1kph with or without a ding they yell "slow down maniac!!! You almost hit me!"

I wish road laws would be applied to shared paths.
Keep left, indicate and check before merge/cross right, at fault if you move right in response to a bell, lights at night even for walkers, no sudden stop on path without warning (emergency exempted).

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:39 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:And for those that think otherwise consider my situation.

Complain to them about bloody motorbike riders, how horrible you all are etc. When they say that they aren't a motorbike rider, just point out that "Oh, I though since you complained about people on vehicles with twice as many wheels as me, I'd complain about people with half as many wheels at you!"
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:28 pm

A dumb pedestrian but the uninformed blame the cyclist and call for cyclists to be registered. :roll:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victori ... 4z1s0.html

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Because registration would mean that wouldn't happen ? :roll:

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Because registration would mean that wouldn't happen ? :roll:
Well, it might mean they have 3rd party insurance...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:44 pm

biker jk wrote:A dumb pedestrian but the uninformed blame the cyclist and call for cyclists to be registered. :roll:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victori ... 4z1s0.html
I don't think you can put too much blame on the elderly pedestrian. Some of them are just not as alert, just as you find with elderly drivers. It's an unfortunate accident.

Someone in the comments asks how it can be prevented in the future. I know how they'll prevent it, they'll just stop people from riding bicycles anywhere outside of velodromes. I'm being sarcastic, but I sure wouldn't put it past governments prodded by shock-jocks to do something so stupid.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:51 pm

redsonic wrote:
Well, it might mean they have 3rd party insurance...
Just had a look on the TAC site. Pedestrians are not covered if hit by a tram or a train either. They need to be registered!

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Meanwhile, the large, invisible elephant in the proverbial room is the pedestrians killed and/or injured by badly-driven motor vehicles every day in Australia. It must be invisible, because it sure as hell doesn't make news headlines when it occurs.
Yes, it's bad that a pedestrian was injured by collision with a bike (and I'm not commenting on how it occurred or who was at fault), but the news media need to get a sense of perspective, and stop this anti-cyclist witchhunt.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:37 pm

Just like how motor vehicles being registered stops them from hitting cyclists
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:38 pm

Was the cyclist injured? I did browse read, but didn’t see any comment of injuries other than for the ped.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Procat

Postby Procat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Just had a look on the TAC site. Pedestrians are not covered if hit by a tram or a train either. They need to be registered!
Pedestrians are covered in these situations - if the accident was caused by the driving of the tram or train. No idea how that is interpreted. See http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/what-to-do-af ... th-the-tac
Last edited by Procat on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 pm

This statement in the article is false.
Neither party involved in Sunday's accident was breaking the law.

Under Victorian road rules, cyclists are legally allowed to travel through stopped or slow-moving traffic.

The pedestrian was also within the law, crossing the road more than 20 metres from a prescribed pedestrian crossing.
sorry - the pedestrian was 'obstructing traffic' (the bike rider).

Vic legislation:
236 Pedestrians not to cause a traffic hazard or
obstruction
(1) A pedestrian must not cause a traffic hazard by
moving into the path of a driver.
Penalty: 1 penalty unit.
(2) A pedestrian must not unreasonably obstruct the
path of any driver or another pedestrian.

(note, the definitions state 'driver' in this instance includes bike riders.