Bont A1's, custom molded

Chaderotti

Bont A1's, custom molded

Postby Chaderotti » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:31 pm

6-10 weeks I was told. 15 weeks later I finally got the shoes.
"I'll write a note so that the shoes are made a fraction larger with a bit more room in the toe box for you," I was told. It fits like a glove and there is pressure on my toes in the toe box.
Sticking my feet into the shoes, there was bits of plastic and crap under my toes which I had break off, kind of like having little rocks in your shoes

For $750 you'd imagine the shoes to fit perfectly. I know they are heat moldable but I'm a bit iffy about 'stretching' the shoes for more room for the toes. I'll see how it goes.

So far: Not happy.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

foo on patrol

Re: Bont A1's, custom molded

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:47 pm

You'd want to knuckle down and do some serious training for that price Chad!! :shock:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:52 pm

I wouldn't be happy either - even the cheapest carbon soled Shimano shoe is finished better than that - the carbon seam underneath is atrocious.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:02 pm

They're shoes. $750. They're shoes. $750. Shoes. $750. :shock:

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:They're shoes. $750. They're shoes. $750. Shoes. $750. :shock:

Jimmies are at least $1000.00 I think he got of easy

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 pm

if you saw what my feet look like...
Princess

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:59 pm

Parker wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:They're shoes. $750. They're shoes. $750. Shoes. $750. :shock:

Jimmies are at least $1000.00 I think he got of easy
Volleys are $20. I think he got off stupid.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Me dear ol' mum always said that if you can't say somethin' nice you should !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!.

I like the cleat positioning grid...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Me dear ol' mum always said that if you can't say somethin' nice you should !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!.

I like the cleat positioning grid...
Well, OK, that's neat.

I like the carbon because it comes pre-delaminated. No need for future disappointment :lol:

I like the wavy printing on "monocoque" because it looks, um, hand made (not amateur, definitely not amateur :lol: ) and you won't be worried when it gets scratched off.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:50 pm

here is my right foot
and the left side of my left foot, completely flat.
Princess

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Chaderotti wrote:here is my right foot
and the left side of my left foot, completely flat.

Must be cool to leave circular footprints!

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Chaderotti wrote:and the left side of my left foot, completely flat.
on the bright side, you won't have to worry if they re-introduce conscription :lol:

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:50 pm

Please tell me you wear orthodics and have them in your riding shoes too >>>>>>>>

MM

ps nice shoes

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:07 am

Marty Moose wrote:Please tell me you wear orthodics and have them in your riding shoes too >>>>>>>>

MM

ps nice shoes
Yep I do, but its a hassle. No other off the shelf shoe fit me cause they're soo damn narrow. We thought this would eliminate that completely.
Princess

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:09 am

even with a custom shoe, with feet like that you do need orthotics to correct to horrible foot structure.
i use custom ones made only for my cycling shoes, which are a different shape then normal everyday ones for obvious reasons. ( look at the shape of the cyclingshoe from side on). a lot more pressure is placed on the forefoot when cycling so its important that there is adequate arch support to control the front of the foot. you dont need much heel support or adjustment though.
excuse the crappy iPhone pics.
since wearing them, i no longer get any feet or toe pain, even after 90km rides. the orthotics feel weird when walking but once on the bike they are not noticable. i think after heaqlth fund rebates they cost me something like $60 out of pocket..

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:21 am

I also have custom orthotics which also cost an arm and a leg.
When I had the molds done, I placed my foot on my orthotic so the sole is molded to the orthotic giving me adequate arch support.
Princess

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:14 am

Chaderotti wrote:So far: Not happy.
For $750 I would return them if I wasn't happy. The the makers what you don't like about the fit. They can probably fix it for you.
<removed by request>

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:14 pm

We're working on that.
I went around the block and realllly, for $750 dollars the shoes aren't what you'd expect. The 'leather' upper around the toe is rock hard with no room to move, I have a pair of expensive Carnacs ($500+ brand new) and the leather is incredibly soft, reallly beautiful stuff. Also, the interior of the shoe is horrendous, a soft sole but the lining of the upper is just tough plasticy crap, I won't be surprised if I get a blister on my right foot now.
Princess

Romper

Postby Romper » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:55 pm

I was looking for some shoes to help with my feet problems, tried on some bont's wasn't terrible impressed they where rough around the edges and to stiff for my feet. I would mold them because their so stiff you'll get heat-spots and they should feel better too.

not to make u jealous chad but i'm very happy with my sidi 6.6 mega's
Romper! now stiff yet vertically compliant

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:59 pm

They will bed in Chad mould them and ride :) :) You do still ride right ???

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:44 am

Why don't you give Bont or your retailer a buzz. Provided you purchased locally - I can help you with a contact to Bont.
Cycling is in my BNA

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:37 am

Romper wrote:I was looking for some shoes to help with my feet problems, tried on some bont's wasn't terrible impressed they where rough around the edges and to stiff for my feet. I would mold them because their so stiff you'll get heat-spots and they should feel better too.

not to make u jealous chad but i'm very happy with my sidi 6.6 mega's
I need stiff shoes. Comparing the acceleration while wearing my old $100~ shimano shoes to these bonts is like night and day, I will say they are incredibly stiff.
Marty Moose wrote:They will bed in Chad mould them and ride :) :) You do still ride right ???
I'm not going through the pain of blisters with shoes which should have fit perfectly out of the box :P
AUbicycles wrote:Why don't you give Bont or your retailer a buzz. Provided you purchased locally - I can help you with a contact to Bont.
I'm working with my LBS on it, he agree's that Bont cocked something up.
Princess

ejm

Postby ejm » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Chad,

I think you've done quite well to get $1200 shoes for $750. Your local bike shop must have something special going on for a deal like that!
15 weeks is a bit long if they've told you 6 weeks - but consider pretty much any other custom manufacturer is 6 months, it's not too bad - just a pitty it was longer than stated.
The shoes do look nuts! That red stands out! I've been in bonts for a couple of years and they're freaking awesome! Stiff, light, low stack height! I now own five pairs (2x road shoes (one pair was getting a bit old and marked up) 2x MTB shoes (again, one pair that's been absolutely hammered, and another that I use for mtb racing) and recently ordered and received some of the new crono shoes). Every drama I've had has been fixed by Bont really quickly and they've always gone out of their way to help out. They're a small company that HAND MAKE shoes. They're not a mass produced shoe, so they don't have the finish of some other shoes. They are working on some new designs etc. as were shown at Eurobike that smarten the shoe up a bit. But, at the end of the day i've bought them for performance - and although uncomfortable before heat moulding (testing them in the shop) - once heat moulded they are the best shoe's I've ever had! Perfect fit. I imagine that the full custom would be much closer out of the box - but the edging apparently will mould up to 5mm in or out once heated. Going off my dealings with BONT, i'm sure you'll be looked after.

Considering you got such a good deal from your dealer, did you go back and talk to them before bagging the shoes on the forum? Seems like they've gone out of thier way to help you getting the shoes, and i'm sure they'll help sort this out.

good luck Chad, and don't lose hope - these shoes are the best thing you can do for your riding!

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:17 pm

ejm wrote:...snip... , and don't lose hope - these shoes are the best thing you can do for your riding!
Hmm. Do they also sell legs? :D

ainsy

Postby ainsy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:24 pm

I will not make any comment on Bont relating to their protocol on customer service and "doing the right thing"....

I want to bring your attention a little piece of legislation called the Trade Practices Act 1974
This requires your goods to be of...merchantable quality. That is, they must meet a basic level of quality and performance, taking into account their price and description. They also should be free from defects that were not obvious to you at the time of purchase.

What were you expecting/assured from your investment? I would expect quite a bit for $750.....