Video Camera who uses one?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:02 pm

A rear facing GoPro is an option but means separate lights. And for dark riding, sports camera all struggle.
Cycling is in my BNA

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:40 pm

AUbicycles wrote:A rear facing GoPro is an option but means separate lights. And for dark riding, sports camera all struggle.
the latest version of Mobius is EXTREMELY good in low light levels - compared to previous versions.
with a good light up front - visibility in the recording is excellent.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Nate wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:A rear facing GoPro is an option but means separate lights. And for dark riding, sports camera all struggle.
the latest version of Mobius is EXTREMELY good in low light levels - compared to previous versions.
with a good light up front - visibility in the recording is excellent.
If anyone is buying these from Mobius Action Cams there is a 5% discount code on offer ... ACTIONCAM-BUCKS

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm getting pretty fed up with the GoPro mounts. The mount that clips into the helmet mount broke as I was clipping it in, just before leaving work. I'd only had it for about 6 months. What the hell do they make these from? Cheese? :roll: Perhaps I should consider another brand. My main requirements are: battery life and low-light performance.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Aluminium mounts - expensive but generally more reliable.
Cycling is in my BNA

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 am

AUbicycles wrote:Aluminium mounts - expensive but generally more reliable.
I use a K-Edge aluminium mount for the rear-facing saddle-mounted GoPro, but I'm not aware of any such mounts for helmets. I mentioned in my previous post that it was the helmet mount that broke.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:02 am

For the helmet it could be harder task.

GoPro and not very responsive - cycling is such a tiny part of their market and they have never put much focus - perhaps with the exception of major events/players even as a growing number of competitors enter the market.

The good thing is that the standard mounting used in GoPro is fairly widespread so it makes it much easier to improvise and even search for competitors mounts. Nothing comes to mind however...
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:25 am

The gopro helmet mounts are not exactly low profile, but there are plenty of alternatives eg

Available from all the unusual suspects

But why settle for a helmet mount when you can hold it with your teeth :|

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:28 am

I think I need to try one of these alloy K-edge out front mounts for my Fly12 (GoPro mount), the plastic mounting arm that came with my bike doesn't hold the camera steady when going over bumpier terrain. It tends to eventually tip up and point skywards, even with the screw as tight as possible.

find_bruce wrote: But why settle for a helmet mount when you can hold it with your teeth :|

Can you imagine how much drool you'd have running down your chin and neck hahaha. I wonder how many of them they sell :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Forget plastic - no matter what, it will fail.

the amount of energy going through mounts due to vibrations is considerable, & the constant flexing destroys anything plastic.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Fly6(v) stopped again after filling the 32GB card. This was about 2/3 of the way into work with no fault beeps to let me know. It seems not to be looping reliably when it fills up. Lucky I didn't need any footage from the last part of my ride.

Formatting it once a week or so isn’t an onerous task but it’s annoying to have to do it, when one of the selling points of the device is that it can endlessly loop.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 pm

Well you should be able to loop and not have to format that regularly.

How are you formatting... a proper (full) format with the free SD Formatter application, or just a basic superficial format via the camera.

If the card has some issues, a full format (write to zeroes) is necessary.

Also wondering, what is the speed of your card? A big but slow card will eventually struggle. The SD card classes are actually a bit confusing and somewhere in BNA I went into detail. Wikipedia is a good reference to understand the different levels and the crux is that it is easy to make a mistake.
Cycling is in my BNA

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:23 am

My fly6 [v] died so i sent it back. Sadly, without tracking. Now its lost :(

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:51 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Well you should be able to loop and not have to format that regularly.

How are you formatting... a proper (full) format with the free SD Formatter application, or just a basic superficial format via the camera.

If the card has some issues, a full format (write to zeroes) is necessary.

Also wondering, what is the speed of your card? A big but slow card will eventually struggle. The SD card classes are actually a bit confusing and somewhere in BNA I went into detail. Wikipedia is a good reference to understand the different levels and the crux is that it is easy to make a mistake.

It's a 32GB class 10 card. I've been formatting the cards on either Windows or Mac depending on if I'm at work or home.

I'll give the SD Formatter software a go.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 pm

SD Formatter is the way to go - it really needs to be a deep level format.

As a reference for others - here is the wikipedia entry for the Speed Classes for SD Cards.
Cycling is in my BNA

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Mububban wrote:Fly6(v) stopped again after filling the 32GB card. This was about 2/3 of the way into work with no fault beeps to let me know. It seems not to be looping reliably when it fills up. Lucky I didn't need any footage from the last part of my ride.

Formatting it once a week or so isn’t an onerous task but it’s annoying to have to do it, when one of the selling points of the device is that it can endlessly loop.
I suspect it will be either a formatting issue or the card itself, or a contact issue within the camera. I was asked to test a 8GB card over a year ago now by the folks at Cycliq. I do not know what brand or specification it carries as it is totally blank. I believe it is what they are currently shipping with the Fly6.

I formatted it once when I received it using SD formatter on my Mac, it has now ridden with me for around 7500km untouched. I couldn't imagine just how fragmented it must be... The request was to test it to death, turns out to be a difficult task which probably won't reach it's ultimate result with the Fly6 coming off the bike very soon to thrash the new Fly6ce.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Going "retro" for a moment :lol:

I have a Hero3 Black that I haven't used in a few years. Last time I used it about 2-3 years ago the wifi/remote capability kept switching itself on, which meant the camera kept switching itself on, and the thing just started getting unpredictable to use. I seem to recall it was a common problem with this model. I removed the battery and put it back in the cupboard.

I'm thinking of pulling it out and using it again for some other bike related purposes. Anyone else experienced these issues? Did you have any success in getting them fixed?
Last edited by trailgumby on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:06 pm

trailgumby wrote:Going "retro" for a moment :lol:

I have a Hero3 Black that I haven't used in a few years. Last time I used it about 2-3 years ago the wifi/remote capability kept switching itself on, which meant the camera kept switching itself on, and the thing just started getting unpredictable to use. I seem to recall it was a common problem with this model. I removed the battery and put it back in the cupboard.

I'm thinking of pulling it out and using it again for some other bike related purposes. Anyone else experienced these issues?
Not for me. I've used a Hero3 (for rear) and Hero3+ (for front/helmet) for about 3 years now, on every commute (so about 480 commutes * about 1 hour + per commute), and both cameras have performed quite well, with very few instances of recording stopping due to card reading problems, battery problems, etc. Damn, I hope I don't jinx myself by typing this...

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:43 am

One thing I hate about the GoPro cameras is their really poor quality mounts. Why can't GoPro focus on the basics, for a change, instead of piling on new features with every new release? Their mounts aren't durable enough. Another one of my helmet mounts broke yesterday, after only a few months use. They also need to improve battery life.

Lift your game, GoPro, and start fixing some of the basic problems!

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:24 am

I'm thinking of getting front and rear cameras but as always, mounting space is a premium so combined functions are desirable.
computer, light and camera combo, what's out there apart form fly 12 and fly 6, are there comparative reviews?

Ken

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:11 am

I was reading a few posts on a FB motorcycle group I'm involved in and they were talking about a Go-Pro-ish type cam for about 1/4 the price of a Go-Pro and say the comparison is pretty good with picture quality and features and seem to be pretty happy with them....so I'm thinking seriously of getting the latest model SJcam M20.
They use the Sony IMX206 16MP sensors, come in lots of flavours...err I mean colours and are good for 30M underwater with their own waterproof case.
Heres a review from Review Hub UK on this little camera.
https://www.review-hub.co.uk/sjcam-m20- ... am-review/

and another of where you can buy one online for $130 AU
Mind you these are transhipped from overseas but still it's an Australian online site so we should still be protected by AU consumer laws.
https://www.crazysales.com.au/online-sj ... =cpc&aid=3

Only 6 days left at this prices...

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Il_Mascalzone

Postby Il_Mascalzone » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm

After really close pass a week ago in the Dandenong Ranges (VIC) from a semi-trailer pulling a massive flat-bed trailer transporting some kind of large earth movie equipment, I've decided to buy a camera for my bike too.

It was the first time I've been seriously shaken after a punishment pass (and like most of us, I've had few!), he actually went off the road after passing me! Anyway, I was considering the Shimano CM-2000 since it's now under $100 but the battery life seems short and from what I can find around the web, it's a pain in the arse to set up, lack of support and only about 1 update a year gets released.

After researching a host of cheaper camera's, I ended up buying the Xiaomi Mijia Mini 4K 30fps Action Camera, cost about $125 and had good reviews all round. Should arrive in about 2 weeks so I'll give a report after testing it!

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:36 am

Anyone using the new Fly12 CE or Fly6 CE? Waiting for some more reviews before biting the bullet, particularly on the Fly6. Was disappointed with the video quality of previous Fly6 models.
Thanks
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 pm

The Shimano camera was not the strongest product from this company. They push out some cash getting it on the bikes of pro cyclists when they launched but the video quality was the big criticism. At a low purchase price however it could be a more competitive purchase - and it is still intended as a bike camera whereas other cheaper alternatives can delivery similar or better quality footage however don't naturally mount for bikes.

Regarding the new Fly6 and Fly12 - I will contact them again. With their growth and success they have overlooked many of their early supporters.
Cycling is in my BNA

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 am

My fly 6[v ] was sent back after it failed in October (5 months old). I got confirmation yesterday that i was getting a new one. I asked if i could have a fly6ce instead. I was offered a 15% discount. Considering i was on the kick starter for both the fly6 and fly 12 i thought i may have been offered something a bit nicer (original fly 6 failed, then the fly6[v] failed)