Not good news

foo on patrol

Not good news

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Just been informed that one of my best mates has been killed to day, while out training on the Warrego Highway. :( His name is Malcom Kamp from Ipswich for anyone out there from our era.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

X-wing

Re: Not good news

Postby X-wing » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:41 pm

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

dandyandy08

Postby dandyandy08 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Bloody awful...thoughts go out to all who have lost.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:46 pm

:cry:

Terrible news for you, his family and all his other friends.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks, just stunned at the moment after the phone call from my mates. He is the first of my good mates that I've lost and it's like being king hit but without the physical pain.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:11 pm

My condolences fop. :( can you post the whole story? The news flash said a truck was involved.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Damn. :(

Strength to his family and friends.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fitz

Postby fitz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:41 am

Thats sad mate, very sad.
Can I have some of these?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:53 am

Very sad to hear that :cry: .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:20 am

CommuRider wrote:My condolences fop. :( can you post the whole story? The news flash said a truck was involved.
I'm not sure of the full story yet but what I have been told is it would appear he was sucked into the semi near Kolo turn off. my mate said the one good thing is, (if there is thing) is that he died instantly and was not torn to pieces.

I am going to contact his wife today and may find out more then, I just couldn't do it last night as it was 9pm and I was numb and couldn't begin to imagine what his wife and sons are going through. :(

We had known each other for 39yrs since we first started in novices at the age of 14 and 15. He then went onto become Qld and Australian school boys, juvenile and junior sprint and time trial champion. When he stopped cycling he then had a crack at short circuit sidecar rider and picked up an Australian title there with his brother inlaw as the rider. 8)

The thing with all of my mates from the early days of racing is, we new that in times of trouble we were there for each other in a heart beat. That is a bond I have not forged with any one else, that was the best part of my cycling era. :wink:

Sorry I have rambled on more that I intended, I just needed to say this to give some back ground on our history.

The news article.

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/06/06/c ... o-highway/
Goal 6000km

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:43 am

My condolences to you and his family for such a devastating loss. :cry:

Max

Postby Max » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:40 am

That's terrible. I'm so sorry, foo. :cry:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:23 am

Very sad news, really sorry to hear about your friend.

hosko

Postby hosko » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:46 am

Sorry to hear for you loss mate.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:59 am

RIP Mal. He wasn't part of Bernie Ripoll's Springfeild Riders Group was he?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:21 am

To be honest Womble I couldn't say. :|
Goal 6000km

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:41 am

Tragic news FOP, my condolences to you and the deceased's family.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:10 am

RIP to a fellow cyclist and best wishes to his friends and families

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:51 am

FOP, sorry to hear of your lost. I can't imagine how you must feel but you, his family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jon

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:05 am

Not good news at all. Strength to family and friends.

Jim

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:14 am

That really sucks. :(
foo on patrol wrote:I'm not sure of the full story yet but what I have been told is it would appear he was sucked into the semi near Kolo turn off.
You don't get 'sucked' into the side of a large vehicle, but it can be almost impossible to keep a bike under control in the turbulence, and there's a tendency to over-correct towards a large vehicle after the initial effect of being blown away by the air displaced off the front. I've nearly done this with an articulated bus - the piece of work went past me with less than 50cm clearance doing 70kph when I was doing about 30km/h in an on-road cycle lane with nowhere to go, and I only just missed touching the bus about 2/3'rd of the way along the side. It's one of the reasons I'm so bloody cautious with heavy vehicles - there's a small percentage of drivers that have no brains.

Anyway... too close, too fast, and the driver won't be held responsible because he "didn't know" it was dangerous. I wonder what the chances are of getting a campaign running along the lines of "one punch can kill", so that heavy vehicle drivers can't claim they didn't know?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:36 am

difference is that you're alive, twizzle.

My condolences to his family and friends.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:55 am

terribly sorry to hear about this Foo. my sincere condolences.
twizzle wrote:Anyway... too close, too fast, and the driver won't be held responsible because he "didn't know" it was dangerous.
agreed. it's not a 'tragic accident' - it happens when they pass too close, too fast. it's not just a 'mistake anyone could make' either - the causes of HV crashes are frequently more complex than just driver error, often being related to driver fatigue, which can be caused by unrealistic deadlines being imposed on them. there are laws to hold people accountable for this.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks all.

The only + is he died instantly and he was intact with only a few gravel rashes on his right calf,arm and the side of his face. The coroner report should shed more light as to what actually killed him in the end. Little comfort that is to all of us though, with not being able see him again. :cry:
Goal 6000km

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:30 am

jules21 wrote:terribly sorry to hear about this Foo. my sincere condolences.
twizzle wrote:Anyway... too close, too fast, and the driver won't be held responsible because he "didn't know" it was dangerous.
agreed. it's not a 'tragic accident' - it happens when they pass too close, too fast. it's not just a 'mistake anyone could make' either - the causes of HV crashes are frequently more complex than just driver error, often being related to driver fatigue, which can be caused by unrealistic deadlines being imposed on them. there are laws to hold people accountable for this.
To be fair to the truck driver, he would have been doing 80 - 100 kph veering left on the highway when he saw the cyclist, with lots of scrub and trees, and he would not have been expecting to see a cyclist. The highway has no cycle lane, and a very very narrow shoulder - it is not cyclist friendly.

Condolonces to the friends and family of the cyclist killed. The young boy in the truck with his father at the time is also going to be severly affected by this (as will his father).

This tradgedy shouldnt be used to rant about drivers........ blah blah blah - it should be an example as to why cycling infrastructure needs to be improved.

At the end of the day, no matter who or what is to blame - a father, brother, uncle and friend has been lost.