Not good news

Marto

Re: Not good news

Postby Marto » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:21 pm

My sincere condolences to the family and friends.

He's on the biggest best bike ride in the sky now.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:48 am

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.I will pass on these onto His family. :)

Here is a memory of him from our early racing days!

Every Easter for I think 4yrs we would go down to Moree for the 2day carnival and the last three we stayed at the cricket grounds in the change rooms for free. 8)
This one year the both of us road our motorbikes down because we decided that the track was to rough and unsafe.

So whilst we were playing up this one afternoon (drinking copious quantities) we had a bit of a ride around the grounds (no hooning or damage done) and he fell off. The next day he said, gee my shoulder is a bit sore today. Quick as a flash I replied, that's because you fell off the bloody roof and he looked at everyone else and they were all going, yeah you idiot, we told you not to get up there but you did. :lol:

To this day, we never told him the real truth and this was one of the first thoughts that jumped into my head, after being told of his death! Sorry Mal, I guess you will have to wait until all of us join you for that last ride. :cry: ( but still smiling at the memory ) :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bp2

Postby bp2 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:38 am

My thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

As foo on patrol was saying Malcom was a good rider who rode to a National Level as a Juvenile and Junior, I thought I might share a few.

1974 Australian Titles in Sydney on Wiley Park bitumen track
1st Juvenile 500 metre Time Trial with a time of 37.3

1975 Australian Titles in Brisbane on N. Gailey Reserve bitumen track
1st Juvenile 500 metre Time Trial with a time of 36.5
2nd Juvenile 500 metre Sprint (the winner was B. Robins of Vic)

1976 Australian Titles in Melbourne on Northcote Velodrome concrete track
2nd Junior 800 metre Time Trial (the winning time was 56.7 from L. Page of NSW)

1977 Australian Titles in Perth on Lake Monger Velodrome concrete track
2nd Junior 3000 metre teams pursuit (the winning team was South Australia with a time of 3.39.2)
It was the first year that a teams pursuit was run at Nationals for Juniors.
3rd Junior 1000 metre Time Trial (the winning time was 1.13.3 from Tom Sawyer of NSW, 2nd was Allan Peiper of Vic)

Some of the riders from Malcoms era include - Kelvin Poole, Mike Turter, Frank Parker, Kenrick Tucker and Gary West to name but a few.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:42 am

Thats tragic mate, very sorry to hear that. I read about it in the paper. Thoughts are with his family.
Happy Days

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Gary,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mate.
Vale Malcom Kamp. :(
Condolences to his family.
He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us,
more potent, nay, more present than the living man.
All your memories, now more present, and more real.

He must have been quite a rider, as that Juvenile time of
36.5 in 1975 for a 500m Time Trial, is exceptional.
(from one who knows)
Was he out training for competition, now, or just social?
Keep strong, Foo and think well.
BrentonO. :|
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:25 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Sorry,but I don't want to hear there wasn't much shoulder on the road!.I ride on roads with no shoulders and never ever have a truck come close.There are a lot of them on the small roads too.If there isn't enough room they wait!.When you spend a lot of time in a bicycle friendly country you soon realise that it is nothing to do with the road and all to do with the mentality of the road users.
Currently dealing with local councillors after they installed some of those <insert rude word of choice> Door Zone bike lanes on a road near me, for a net loss of road safety..

I'm going to use that phrase, if you don;t mind TLL: "is nothing to do with the road and all to do with the mentality of the road users."

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:35 pm

This is Terrible.

My condolences to you and his familly.

It really makes you think twice about riding in traffic...

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Toolonglegs wrote:
Sorry,but I don't want to hear there wasn't much shoulder on the road!.I ride on roads with no shoulders and never ever have a truck come close.There are a lot of them on the small roads too.If there isn't enough room they wait!.When you spend a lot of time in a bicycle friendly country you soon realise that it is nothing to do with the road and all to do with the mentality of the road users.
I'm on the road everyday. Believe me I've seen it all and it is'nt solely the mentality of road users. Anyway, I don't want to turn this solemn thread into a debate I just disagree with you.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Condolences to family and friends. We saw the news story on tele that night, and I immediately wondered about how it happened (so as to ride safer ourselves). Thanks for sharing what you know Foo.

That draft from trucks is scarey. More than once I've felt the push and then the suck, hoping the suck would end soon, only to realize there's a dog trailer yet to pass. It must be twice as bad for ligher riders.

The buses in Brisbane are scarey cos the engine is down the back so they are on you before you hear them.

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:23 pm

ASIDE FROM THE TRAGEDY .I have learnt something in this thread , i did not know that you can get sucked into a truck , i ahev felt truck draughts 1/2 metre away , but never a suction . i will be ever wary of this from now on . i am humbled and saddened reading this thread . :cry:

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Time and time again the authorities blame the cyclist:
Ipswich District duty officer Brett Munn said the cyclist's death was unfortunate and could possibly have been prevented.

“Riding a bicycle on a highway in a dual lane carriageway with no designated lane-way is risky,” Snr Sgt Munn said.

“It's a fine sunny day and the road conditions are good.

“If there were more designated bike lanes perhaps this wouldn't have happened.”
We could equally say that driving a truck on a dual lane carriageway is risky.

Lets start laying blame where the blame lies, on the heavy vehicles that hit cyclists.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:58 pm

brentono wrote: Was he out training for competition, now, or just social?
Keep strong, Foo and think well.
BrentonO. :|
To tell the truth I don't really know just yet Brenton. Another mate said that they were thinking of getting together to have a crack at the Masters teams pursuit. Just a pity that I haven't been able to get enough time to do some serious riding because that would have been a good goal to aim for. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bp2

Postby bp2 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:31 am

gtfpv cycler wrote:ASIDE FROM THE TRAGEDY .I have learnt something in this thread , i did not know that you can get sucked into a truck , i ahev felt truck draughts 1/2 metre away , but never a suction . i will be ever wary of this from now on . i am humbled and saddened reading this thread . :cry:
The following is the same principal as trucks. But trucks have a higher pressure zone at the front due to their blunt shape.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Malcom will be buried on Tuesday and the service is at Bethany Lutheran Church Raceview at 11am. :(
Goal 6000km

notwal

Postby notwal » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:24 pm

That's very sad news FOP.

Just 2 weeks ago I was looking at finding a route from the Moggill Ferry to Mt Crosby Rd and the obvious choice was to take the Warrego Highway. When I rolled up there via Riverview Road I was confronted by one of those "No pedestrians, agricultural machinery, bicycles..."etc signs. I assumed that riding on the Warrego was illegal so I went via Brisbane Rd and that was busy and dangerous. Ipswich really could use a bit more cycling orientation. Some more signs would be useful to help avoid the more dangerous roads.
judged, insulted, gone

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:19 pm

As far I know, there isn't any from Tivoli or Kholo on ramps Notwal. :?
Goal 6000km

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:49 pm

bp2 wrote:
gtfpv cycler wrote:ASIDE FROM THE TRAGEDY .I have learnt something in this thread , i did not know that you can get sucked into a truck , i ahev felt truck draughts 1/2 metre away , but never a suction . i will be ever wary of this from now on . i am humbled and saddened reading this thread . :cry:
The following is the same principal as trucks. But trucks have a higher pressure zone at the front due to their blunt shape.
Try being passed closely by a cattle train or something similar, or an older style Cab-Over B-Dbl and the effect is huge. we also have to remember that driving on the Warrego is very risky and it has a consistantly uneven and rippled surface. Without aportioning any blame it is very difficult at times to drive larger vehicles safely between Dinmore and the Brisbane Valley turnoff. You do find cyclists on that stretch as a bit of a surprise