gorilla monsoon

Re: Not good news

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Condolences to you and to his family.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:11 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:To be fair to the truck driver, he would have been doing 80 - 100 kph veering left on the highway when he saw the cyclist, with lots of scrub and trees, and he would not have been expecting to see a cyclist. The highway has no cycle lane, and a very very narrow shoulder - it is not cyclist friendly.
True, it's doesn't look like a bad section from the satellite view, but the photos from the story show there is stuff all space for cyclists to ride in.
Condolonces to the friends and family of the cyclist killed. The young boy in the truck with his father at the time is also going to be severly affected by this (as will his father).

This tradgedy shouldnt be used to rant about drivers........ blah blah blah - it should be an example as to why cycling infrastructure needs to be improved.

At the end of the day, no matter who or what is to blame - a father, brother, uncle and friend has been lost.
True, unfair of me to assume the truckie passed to close without thinking. And there are definitely only losers in these stories. :(

Stay safe out there, everyone.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:33 pm

:cry: Sorry to hear about this, Foo. There are no words or comfort that dull the pain.

Um... might be best to stay off the bike awhile, mate. Your concentration is going to be stuffed. We'd hate for anything to happen to you.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Le Velo wrote:RIP to a fellow cyclist and best wishes to his friends and families
+1
FPR Ragamuffin

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:44 pm

My condolences to you F.O.P. and to his family.

Lump in the throat stuff for me. :(

I've just got back from our Blackwood Valley 600 km route over Sat & Sun although there wasn't much riding on main highways, but I always think of this every time I hear a road train come up from behind...

I believe in the USA there is a road rule that designates that all vehicles must change to the centre lane when passing any vehicle or other object in the stopping lane / on the shoulder of a dual carriage way.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:51 pm

trailgumby wrote::cry: Sorry to hear about this, Foo. There are no words or comfort that dull the pain.

Um... might be best to stay off the bike awhile, mate. Your concentration is going to be stuffed. We'd hate for anything to happen to you.
Thanks Trailgumby, I know what you are saying here! Ironically I was slammed into by a truck (only an 8tonner) at around 80klmh and got out of it with only a compressed spine and head fracture and some other damage, but I was only 20yrs old at the time. The thing is, I was on edge constantly, when I was training again when I heard any traffic coming behind me, and still am but not as edgy. :|

Talking to one of my other mates, he mentioned that we must get together as a bunch of mates again and do a ride in memory of him! :cry:

If I can say one thing from this tragedy, if you have very good mate, that you have forged a friendship over many years and am thinking that we should do whatever thing it is you're thinking of, then make sure that you do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say this because I was constantly thinking that we should have a boys weekend together while we can.Know that will never happen for us, as we will be one short. :(
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:03 pm

I understand Twizzle,guess what I do for a dollar, yep I'm a truckie but the difference with me is that I am fully aware of what it is like too be on the other side!! :wink:

Cavebear2 I think that is a good idea but because of the lack of foresight by both from both Local and State Governments, I think we will always have this problem. Even when myself and another bloke did a charity ride to raise money for cancer reseach, we were constantly being forced of the road and abused by all codes of transport (cars,trucks, buses and motorbikes) even with a support vehicle! :evil:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Condolences to you and to his family
Felt AR2

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:25 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I understand Twizzle,guess what I do for a dollar, yep I'm a truckie but the difference with me is that I am fully aware of what it is like too be on the other side!! :wink:
Previous job I had for about 5 years I too drove trucks. Being a cyclist as well I was quite aware of the draft of a heavy vehicle and what effect it had, so whenever possible slowed down, changed lanes and gave any cyclists I saw a wide berth. I find 99.9% of truck drivers are fine, no problems. Bus drivers on the other hand...

Condolences to you Foo on the loss of your friend. May he RIP.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Sorry to hear the sad news.

Condolences to his family.

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:45 pm

OH MY GOD . I'm so sorry to hear this , i just dont want to accept that people get killed riding pushbikes on the side of the road , it just is not fair .

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Condolences to you and to his family
I sure we'll all get to ride our bike/groupset of choice on the other side!
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

OH MY GOD . I'm so sorry to hear this , i just dont want to accept that people get killed riding pushbikes on the side of the road , it just is not fair .
I think it's a little bit more complicated than that. If you check the news article and the photo of where it happened there is'nt much of a shoulder on that road. I hate to see anybody get hit anywhere. We have little protection unfortunately.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Ross wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:I understand Twizzle,guess what I do for a dollar, yep I'm a truckie but the difference with me is that I am fully aware of what it is like too be on the other side!! :wink:
Previous job I had for about 5 years I too drove trucks. Being a cyclist as well I was quite aware of the draft of a heavy vehicle and what effect it had, so whenever possible slowed down, changed lanes and gave any cyclists I saw a wide berth. I find 99.9% of truck drivers are fine, no problems. Bus drivers on the other hand...

+ 1 for bus drivers. I had maybe a handful of close calls with trucks, but bus drivers are notorious.

Jon

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:23 pm

birdbrain wrote:
OH MY GOD . I'm so sorry to hear this , i just don't want to accept that people get killed riding pushbikes on the side of the road , it just is not fair .
I think it's a little bit more complicated than that. If you check the news article and the photo of where it happened there is'nt much of a shoulder on that road. I hate to see anybody get hit anywhere. We have little protection unfortunately.
Knowing this stretch of road very well, we trained for almost twelve months of the year, five days a week, there is more than enough room for a cyclist and two trucks side by side to pass. I don't want to blame anyone for this tragedy and will wait for the coroners report. :|

If you have mates of the calibre of my mates from my cycling days, then go and do what you are thinking of, because you just don't know what's around the corner. :|
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Sorry,but I don't want to hear there wasn't much shoulder on the road!.I ride on roads with no shoulders and never ever have a truck come close.There are a lot of them on the small roads too.If there isn't enough room they wait!.When you spend a lot of time in a bicycle friendly country you soon realise that it is nothing to do with the road and all to do with the mentality of the road users.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Terrible news Foo :( :( Know the feeling of the king hit with no phycical pain:(

MM

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:51 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Sorry,but I don't want to hear there wasn't much shoulder on the road!.I ride on roads with no shoulders and never ever have a truck come close.There are a lot of them on the small roads too.If there isn't enough room they wait!.When you spend a lot of time in a bicycle friendly country you soon realise that it is nothing to do with the road and all to do with the mentality of the road users.
Mate I’m sorry to have to tell you that if and when you get back to Aus and start riding amongst our current traffic mayhem you are in for a rude shock. :cry:
Last edited by greyhoundtom on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Very sorry to hear this, so sad for all left behind. My sincere condolences to you and his family Foo
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

toppertee

Postby toppertee » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss,
I must have only just missed what happened I was on my way home from work, pretty sure I went pass your mate on the way home thinking I would rather be riding on a lovely Sunday than having to be working.
I lost a friend in the same way, sun in are eyes and a car ran up the back side of my mate he was only 17 years old. 18 years on I still think of him.

Right or wrong even if you are in the right on a push bike you still end up getting hit.
Really does suck.

TrekStar

Postby TrekStar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:06 pm

silkishuge wrote:
Ross wrote:

+ 1 for bus drivers. I had maybe a handful of close calls with trucks, but bus drivers are notorious.

Jon
Condolences to the family. As for buses, I wonder if they have bigger blind spots. I mean truck drivers sit relatively higher than bus drivers. A friend and myself had a close encounter once, all be it slow speed. The bus came less than a metre from us and didn't even bother making room for us (with cars parked on the side too).

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Really sorry to hear about this Foo. My thoughts are with you and his family.

Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Really sorry to hear about this Foo. My thoughts are with you and his family.

Graeme
+1

Cheers,

Simon
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:12 pm

This is terrible :-(

I hate shoulder lines, they should not exist unless the shoulder is actually a car width or more wide. If you are to the left of the lane, both legally, and practically, you are not in the lane and don't have right of way. There is no reason at all why a shoulder line should be drawn over such a narrow space.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Sorry to read this.
Condolences to family and friends.
Too old to live, too slow to die.