Aldi Specials

gorilla monsoon

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Grabbed some nice "exercise jackets" a couple of weeks ago to wear under my jersey for extra warmth in winter and this week got the WD-40 lube, wash and degreaser trio as well as a couple of Bikemate LED light sets. 40 lumen headlight and 6 lumen tail light but USB rechargeable. Handy sets of spare winkies.
The great thing was I was away on business so 'er indoors got out early and picked them up for me. Winner!
Not my circus, not my monkeys

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Grabbed some nice "exercise jackets" a couple of weeks ago to wear under my jersey for extra warmth in winter and this week got the WD-40 lube, wash and degreaser trio as well as a couple of Bikemate LED light sets. 40 lumen headlight and 6 lumen tail light but USB rechargeable. Handy sets of spare winkies.
The great thing was I was away on business so 'er indoors got out early and picked them up for me. Winner!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:44 pm

I picked up another pair of full finger gloves as they are great for temps here. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:58 pm

Is the wd40 stuff any good?
I suck at maintenance so have no clue what i would need.
The bike shop sold me a chain cleaner gadget that have no idea what to put in it and some gold lube stuff.....
Should i get wd40?
2015 Giant Cross City 0

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:20 pm

No, WD40 is more general purpose but is not a proper bike lube.

For the chain cleaner, look for an eco friendly one.
Cycling is in my BNA

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:46 pm

AUbicycles wrote:No, WD40 is more general purpose but is not a proper bike lube.
For the chain cleaner, look for an eco friendly one.
Avoiding all the furor about WD40 classic as a bike lubricant, the WD40 stuff Aldi are flogging at the moment are specific bike lube, bike cleaner compositions. One of the guys at work bought the bike lube and it 'feels' like it has a high proportion of Teflon in there, Good as most of the really expensive stuff for general use I would say. No idea on the chain cleaner but in my experience most are overpriced, nice smelling versions of stuff easily and more cheaply available from the hardware store

Richard

idler

Postby idler » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Agree that the full finger gloves are great - okay down to around 5 degrees.
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:26 am

I've used them in 2-3c temps and still good. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:19 pm

WD40 have a whole bike range.
Wet and Dry lube, degreaser, frame protectant (some sort of wax or silicon product, I think), etc.

http://www.wd40bike.com/

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Unbelievable...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112058776054
$30 jersey on ebay for $70!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:09 am

rodneycc wrote:Unbelievable...
And if you don't sell it you can return it for full refund.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:03 pm

rodneycc wrote:Unbelievable...
Not unlike the bike mate bike lift that pops up regularly locally. Started at $60 plus post, now it's $50. Think they were either $15 or $20 from Aldi.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:08 pm

I think the CO2 inflator looks pretty good.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:39 pm

duncanm wrote:WD40 have a whole bike range.
Wet and Dry lube, degreaser, frame protectant (some sort of wax or silicon product, I think), etc.

I've been using the WD40 wet and dry lube for the past month. Wet on my wife's bike and dry on mine to get a comparison. Wet leaves the chain a bit blacker but both have actually been quite good lubes compared to what I have been using in the past (squirt, triflow, mcculloch chainsaw oil, muckoff).

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:44 pm

Gotit - I assumed it was 'classic' WD40 - and on a couple of my runs to ALDI, this sold out very quickly - all the bike stuff sold except helmets, there are a couple and there is one road bike left.
Cycling is in my BNA

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:56 pm

tallywhacker wrote:
duncanm wrote:WD40 have a whole bike range.

I've been using the WD40 wet and dry lube for the past month. Wet on my wife's bike and dry on mine to get a comparison. Wet leaves the chain a bit blacker but both have actually been quite good lubes compared to what I have been using in the past (squirt, triflow, mcculloch chainsaw oil, muckoff).
I won some of these last year. I love the wd40 chain lube and the degreaser is quite nice as well. I would recommend it.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:03 pm

wombatK wrote:A novel item at my local Aldi was a 25 l dry bag backpack for $69.99. Maybe from a previous week's catalogue but stumbled on it while checking out this week's cycling specials. Quite a bit cheaper than dry-bag panniers, although carrying weight on your back isn't
as comfortable.

Nevertheless, looks a great solution for all-weather riders or commuters --- previously my practice has been to use a cyclindrical dry bag inside a draw string bag. Can't wait for a serious downpour to give it a workout :)
Just an update of the dry bag's performance... it did the job very effectively. Everthing inside dry as a bone after riding in steady rain for 2 hours. The bag is nice and light too ... just 750 grams unloaded, and the large side pockets can securely hold a 750 ml water bottles securely. Saw some "straggler stock" in my local Aldi today, so it might still be possible to pick one up.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:18 pm

So.. the lights in the sale a couple of weeks ago.. Pretty good.

I'm not saying you'd gown downhill mountain biking with them.. but for someone commuting around the suburbs they would be ok. The back is more than bright enough and the front is equivalent to a 2w Basta light I bought when I first started riding.

They charged quickly but I can't comment on burntime yet.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:14 pm

wombatK wrote:
wombatK wrote:A novel item at my local Aldi was a 25 l dry bag backpack for $69.99. Maybe from a previous week's catalogue but stumbled on it while checking out this week's cycling specials. Quite a bit cheaper than dry-bag panniers, although carrying weight on your back isn't
as comfortable.

Nevertheless, looks a great solution for all-weather riders or commuters --- previously my practice has been to use a cyclindrical dry bag inside a draw string bag. Can't wait for a serious downpour to give it a workout :)
Just an update of the dry bag's performance... it did the job very effectively. Everthing inside dry as a bone after riding in steady rain for 2 hours. The bag is nice and light too ... just 750 grams unloaded, and the large side pockets can securely hold a 750 ml water bottles securely. Saw some "straggler stock" in my local Aldi today, so it might still be possible to pick one up.
I have one and can vouch for its waterproofness at least initially. Only concern however is how durable it will be as (1) the fabric seems lighter than the dry bags & (2) lots of stitching points etc that are a common source of water ingress.

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 pm

I grabbed some of the WD40 brand Bike Cleaner they had, as they say its safe for everything on a bike e.g. metal, plastic, rubber, carbon. Handy for me as I have a couple of ally bikes plus a carbon one. Haven't yet used it though! :P

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:59 am

Comedian wrote:So.. the lights in the sale a couple of weeks ago.. Pretty good.

I'm not saying you'd gown downhill mountain biking with them.. but for someone commuting around the suburbs they would be ok. The back is more than bright enough and the front is equivalent to a 2w Basta light I bought when I first started riding.

The lights are reasonable and enough to keep you out of trouble. The front light is more a "be seen" than a "see stuff" job but not too bad. I like their quite robust construction as well as their quick charge.

Tried the degreaser, not too bad but the WD40 lube? It's okay but I think I'll stick to my regular drop.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:06 pm

Comedian wrote:So.. the lights in the sale a couple of weeks ago.. Pretty good.
The run time on the rear is good, but unfortunately I've found the front one to be a bit disappointing. Not sure if mine is a dud or something, but the "low battery warning comes on very early. In under one hour from fully charged when used on the full brightness setting. It's just enough to get me home, but not enough for any type of decent evening ride. :(

I can extend my run time to a few hours by using the flash mode at dusk and then switching over to the low brightness setting once it's fully dark. This gives my enough run time for a decent night ride, but pretty disappointing to only be able to use half brightness.

Can anyone else who bought these lights give me some feedback on their run time. Because I'm not entirely sure that the battery in my front one isn't a dud.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:02 pm

I bought the winter gloves and a head/ear warmer thing and both have been fantastic. The gloves have been fine down to 1 degree and the head/ear thing has been excellent at keeping the ears warm (and also blocking out road noise). Absolute bargain.

I also bought their base layers in their ski sale earlier in the year and they are excellent.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:35 pm

uart wrote: Can anyone else who bought these lights give me some feedback on their run time. Because I'm not entirely sure that the battery in my front one isn't a dud.
I'll try it and report back. :)

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Comedian wrote:
uart wrote: Can anyone else who bought these lights give me some feedback on their run time. Because I'm not entirely sure that the battery in my front one isn't a dud.
I'll try it and report back. :)
If they are those little circular ones then I've had excellent run time. Probably 3++ hours.... Which is great for something that size.