Moron Motorists #3

BobtheBuilder

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby BobtheBuilder » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 pm

L3Spoke wrote:I take that as a NO ? Disappointing. I think it is fair and the best path to win.
Very serious.
I totally agree, but I think we should do this in alliance with pedestrian advocacy groups.

Wouldn't it be powerful if cyclists and pedestrians both advocated being licenced!?! We should also remember that walking causes damage when you add up the amount of people who walk.

And sorry for being a bit of a dreamer, imagine if you had compulsory helmets for pedestrians. Surely it's reasonable for pedestrians to do a short competency test before licensing and it makes total sense for us, when using our feet for transport, to wear a helmet.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:16 pm

BobtheBuilder wrote:and it makes total sense for us, when using our feet for transport, to wear a helmet.
Particularly in that dangerous section of the house when you're getting in and out of the bath.

Won't someone please think of the children?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

BobtheBuilder

Postby BobtheBuilder » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:00 am

Thoglette wrote:Particularly in that dangerous section of the house when you're getting in and out of the bath.
Although licensed bathroom users should probably also be required to wear some sort of hip protection, given the high rate of hip injuries.

L3Spoke

Postby L3Spoke » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:06 pm

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... OApBTRXFR0

Appreciate any advice on best.. please

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:25 pm

L3Spoke wrote:https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... OApBTRXFR0

Appreciate any advice on best.. please
Can you explain what this has to do with moron motorists ?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Trevtassie wrote:
L3Spoke wrote:I take that as a NO ? Disappointing. I think it is fair and the best path to win.
Very serious. In fact, can someone also advise what the best cycling charity organizations / causes are ?
Vehicles do not pay for the roads they use. Worst offenders are trucks. That's why trains can't compete, because trucks basically receive use of the road pretty well for free compared to the damage they do.
Even better, those of us in the road reco business get paid by you for fixing the damage our trucks cause 8) :lol:

There was a line in The Godfather about that.

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 pm

cogs19 wrote:This evening I was rear ended by a motorist going through a roundabout.

Typical issue of wanting to get in front of me and failing, so honked at me persistently. I slowed in the roundabout and gestured "what do you want" and there was a flurry of activity in the driver seat indicating for me to move over to the left - which I refused to do. The car then lurched a couple of times towards me in a threatening manner, the second time connecting with my back wheel resulting in buckling and a broken spoken. There was then a verbal altercation - she then drove off.

So it is with the police now. Constable was pretty friendly and showed concern. She is seeking to contact the driver and urge her to exchange details. And then she says the police will no longer be involved. There will only be an investigation if the driver disputes my story. BTW it's all on camera (front and rear) and witness stopped and kindly gave me her number and said she is willing to make statement.

So does anyone find this strange - a driver (according to me) causes an accident and then drives off and the police are not interested in following that up with a view to penalising her?

Anyway - I'll keep you posted.

Been commuting for over ten years, with cameras for the last three, and this is first time needing to go to the police.
Just a follow up:

Police contacted me today and have decided to charge the driver. The officer left a message so didn’t get any of the finer details. I’ll follow up tomorrow. All I know is she has a date in court. I still don’t have the driver’s details - I’ve got a bill for a new wheel with her name on it!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:10 pm

pj wrote:Forgot to post these morons last week

I'm guessing that Allpress Espresso aren't interested in the cyclist dollar...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

pj

Postby pj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
pj wrote:Forgot to post these morons last week

I'm guessing that Allpress Espresso aren't interested in the cyclist dollar...
I was tempted to leave them a google review with some photos!

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:03 pm

cogs19 wrote:Just a follow up:

Police contacted me today and have decided to charge the driver. The officer left a message so didn’t get any of the finer details. I’ll follow up tomorrow. All I know is she has a date in court. I still don’t have the driver’s details - I’ve got a bill for a new wheel with her name on it!
Can't do a "like" here but otherwise, I like this.

And dont stop at the wheel. You'll be asking for all the costs you have incurred. I'm the wrong sort of lawyer to ask, but maybe Mr Bruce would have a comment..?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:27 am

cogs19 wrote:Police contacted me today and have decided to charge the driver. The officer left a message so didn’t get any of the finer details. I’ll follow up tomorrow. All I know is she has a date in court. I still don’t have the driver’s details - I’ve got a bill for a new wheel with her name on it!
I'd guess that her details would be revealed at the court hearing. You can have these claims heard at magistrate's courts - a mate did it. He got a lawyer to guide him, but I'm unsure you need one - it was very straightforward once the lawyer had prepared the paperwork. The driver put his stupid case forward and the magistrate found in favour of my mate. The guy never paid, but interest accrues at 22% apparently. If you want to be nasty, you can follow it up again and make a tidy profit (in theory, or cost yourself more money - but at least make their life difficult/costly).

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:43 am

cogs19 wrote:Just a follow up:

If she takes it to court, give a copy of the bills for any costs to the Police prosecutor - in NSW (& I think in Vic) the police can seek an order that the offender pay for costs arising because of their offence & these are over & above any fine etc.

If she pays the infringement notice so it doesn't get to court, you will need to obtain her details from police - it is easy enough for a solicitor or insurance company, but I think they make individuals jump through a few hoops - start by asking at the relevant police station. Then its a matter of submitting a letter of demand & if necessary following that up with a small claims application in the magistrates court.

Damage arising from a motor vehicle crash are common & there are a heap of pages out there about the process & what you can & cannot claim. Most importantly is a an itemised bill for the costs of the repairs.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:19 pm

cogs
bruce is definitely on the right track
I believe that in NSW potentially your swiftest/cheapest path would be to rely on s. 97 of the Victims Rights and Support Act 2013, which empowers the court to order any person convicted of an offence to pay compensation to any "aggrieved person". Link to the legislation here:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewd ... 8/s97.html
Getting such an order is best done by application made at immediately at the conclusion of any trial or guilty plea. The power only exists if a conviction is recorded: beware the judicial officer who decides that although the offence is proven no conviction should be recorded because the driver is such a nice person usually.
Of course, having the chance to make the application relies on your having notice of any hearing and being able/prepared to set aside the time to be there. You may turn up one day, only to find that it's adjourned off to some other time. Yes, the system works fine for those who are paid to be there, not so well for everyone else.
If you're a witness at the hearing you should have the opportunity to tell of your losses while giving evidence, and you'll get witness expenses in some limited amount.
Alternatively, you can go the civil route via letter of demand and small claim, as jules has suggested.

murbul

Postby murbul » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Some cornering skillz I see on an almost daily basis.

I made this vid in response to some people on FB whinging about cyclists not staying in their lane.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:11 pm

murbul wrote:
I made this vid in response to some people on FB whinging about cyclists not staying in their lane.
I reckon I could do the same vid for Sylvan Rd

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:11 pm

murbul wrote:Some cornering skillz I see on an almost daily basis.

That bike lane is pretty much a waste of paint
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:43 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Most bike lanes in Australia are pretty much a waste of paint
Ftfy

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:57 am

Saw the title, and I thought "I wonder if Dickson Street, Wooloowin is in this compilation". 45 seconds, boom!, there it is.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:20 am

Another moron truck driver takes his oversize truck into Galston Gorge, this time damaging the bridge and ripping open his fuel tank, spilling diesel on the road. Note the incident was yesterday (story refers to "today").

https://www.2gb.com/truck-causes-chaos- ... ton-gorge/

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Had someone brake check me, after thinking that I wasn't stopping at a stop sign. Then followed some friendly exchange of words between myself and the driver. The moment got the better of me, however I should have just shut up.

Wasn't nice being brake checked by a car when in a bike though.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Yair. This happens every morning on my commute. In fact the paint is worn off on left hand bends on the main drag through my suburb. Yet the traffic sergeant at my LAC called me arrogant for not using the (un-signposted) "bike lane".

Paint is not infrastructure.

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Half a second till impact.....
No damage or injuries to me. Big dent in his door, hope he thinks of me every time he opens it.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:29 pm

skyblot wrote:Half a second till impact.....
No damage or injuries to me. Big dent in his door, hope he thinks of me every time he opens it.
Nice effort on the dent and surviving unscathed! :mrgreen:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:06 am

Got a photo of the dent?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:28 am

Ouch, glad you're ok! How is the bike though? :)