Moron Motorists #3

duncanm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby duncanm » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:40 am

InTheWoods wrote: "Correct" just in your opinion, but not legally required which is different. There are sometimes valid reasons to avoid the shoulder, and the passing motorist is not to assume the rider's choice is invalid and pass illegally as a result. I suppose women choosing the correct clothes is required to avoid trouble when out at night too... Its the same mentality of according at least partial blame to the victim for a decision totally in the control of someone else.
Indeed.

And in this case, one of my personal bug bears, the lane ends with a dashed line rather than 'open' - which means the cyclist must give way when merging back in. If there were an accident at this point, the onus is on the cyclist.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety ... lanes.html

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:21 pm

duncanm wrote:
InTheWoods wrote: "Correct" just in your opinion, but not legally required which is different. There are sometimes valid reasons to avoid the shoulder, and the passing motorist is not to assume the rider's choice is invalid and pass illegally as a result. I suppose women choosing the correct clothes is required to avoid trouble when out at night too... Its the same mentality of according at least partial blame to the victim for a decision totally in the control of someone else.
Indeed.

And in this case, one of my personal bug bears, the lane ends with a dashed line rather than 'open' - which means the cyclist must give way when merging back in. If there were an accident at this point, the onus is on the cyclist.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety ... lanes.html
I agree Duncan, there should be way more emphasis on merging and more emphasis of the faster traffic, which is the right lane giving a way to the slower traffic in the left lane. Its much easier to slow down and merge than it is to speed up and merge
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

pj

Postby pj » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:13 pm

mikesbytes wrote: Its much easier to slow down and merge than it is to speed up and merge
Especially when you are on a bike going uphill.

Idiot today, yes I was going very slow but still no excuse :evil:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:12 pm

pj wrote:
mikesbytes wrote: Its much easier to slow down and merge than it is to speed up and merge

Appears to be exceeding the speed limit too

9pm tonight I got stuck behind one of those food delivery cyclists. I clocked him at 10kph on about 2% gradient incline. How much difference did it make to my journey? None, I ended up sitting behind the same car at the next traffic lights
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:17 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
pj wrote:

Appears to be exceeding the speed limit too

9pm tonight I got stuck behind one of those food delivery cyclists. I clocked him at 10kph on about 2% gradient incline. How much difference did it make to my journey? None, I ended up sitting behind the same car at the next traffic lights
Overtaking on a Ped-X - a SERIOUS no-no.

pj

Postby pj » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:33 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Appears to be exceeding the speed limit too
Yes it definitely looks like they are going over 25 when coming out of the crossing.
trailgumby wrote: Overtaking on a Ped-X - a SERIOUS no-no.
I know, big moron, with oncoming traffic also.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:19 pm

pj wrote:

That is a definite punishment pass alright. I would put that into the police with a nice close up measurement due to the permanent white markings on the road. Police can not refute the measurement of those crossing marks at all.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Moron me. Accidentally MGIF'ed a cyclist. Moved to overtake on approach to a roundabout but obviously misjudged the distance and might have looked like a psycho driver. Apologies if you're out there.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:16 pm

pj wrote:

Yes that video highlights two big issues in my opinion.

1. It appears that some drivers cannot accept that there are some places where it is unsafe to overtake a cyclist. Put quite simply, they seem to believe that a cyclist must be passed where ever and when ever you meet one, and as soon as you meet one, without even a seconds thought as to whether or not it is safe to do so. Seriously, I strike this all the time and it is the most infuriating thing. :x

2. The traffic furniture at 0:36 in your video (and again at the end) is there to make it safer for pedestrians, but I wonder if anyone even considers its impact on cyclist's safety. Given the prevalence of drivers described in point one, the existence of this traffic furniture seems to make it unsafe to do anything other than to hog the entire (single) lane on roads that have these "features".

pj

Postby pj » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:46 pm

outnabike wrote:That is a definite punishment pass alright. I would put that into the police with a nice close up measurement due to the permanent white markings on the road. Police can not refute the measurement of those crossing marks at all.
Yes definitely easy to get measurements at that point, would love to see this driver at least get a phone call/caution.
uart wrote:Yes that video highlights two big issues in my opinion.

1. It appears that some drivers cannot accept that there are some places where it is unsafe to overtake a cyclist. Put quite simply, they seem to believe that a cyclist must be passed where ever and when ever you meet one, and as soon as you meet one, without even a seconds thought as to whether or not it is safe to do so. Seriously, I strike this all the time and it is the most infuriating thing.

2. The traffic furniture at 0:36 in your video (and again at the end) is there to make it safer for pedestrians, but I wonder if anyone even considers its impact on cyclist's safety. Given the prevalence of drivers described in point one, the existence of this traffic furniture seems to make it unsafe to do anything other than to hog the entire (single) lane on roads that have these "features".
Totally agree, it's the MGIF attitude. On my commute I have a few long gradual gradients where I ride at the 40/50 speed limit. Some drivers will still speed and overtake just to get in front.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 pm

The above video is a couple of months old but I have only just got hold of an editing programme. I did not want to bore everybody with the whole ten minutes. I had just pulled up at the traffic lights and claimed the left hand lane - or thought I had! I had my left foot on the ground and, consequently, the bike was leaning to the left. I could not have lifted the bike upright without striking the MM's mirror. Afterwards, the MM followed me along a four lane road for 2 km without making any attempt to pass. If it was an attempt at intimidation, it was another fail, as I had no idea he was following me until I got home and reviewed the footage.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:56 pm

I was nearly a moron motorist today. I was at a stop sign, turning left from a side street. There were two riders coming from my right, matching kit and clearly together, rider two on the first riders wheel.
About 5m from the intersection the front rider indicated to turn left into the side street and I started to pull out but luckily didn't. Rider two, the wheelsucker was going straight on.
I think the only reason I didn't go was because I wanted to look at the bikes and kit. I should never have assumed they were both going to turn, could have been nasty.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:I should never have assumed they were both going to turn, could have been nasty.
The same could apply for cars. You never know when someone has left their indicator on for no reason. I followed a car yesterday along a stretch of road and they indicated left for almost the whole thing. Couldn't draw their attention to it either.

Always make sure they're slowing down and turning before you pull in front of them.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Agreed. Tbh, would have been better if the first rider didn't indicate and just turned. Something I'll think about when I'm riding with a mate I turn off at roundabout while he goes straight on after our training rides.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:34 pm

Philistine wrote:

The above video is a couple of months old but I have only just got hold of an editing programme. I did not want to bore everybody with the whole ten minutes. I had just pulled up at the traffic lights and claimed the left hand lane - or thought I had! I had my left foot on the ground and, consequently, the bike was leaning to the left. I could not have lifted the bike upright without striking the MM's mirror. Afterwards, the MM followed me along a four lane road for 2 km without making any attempt to pass. If it was an attempt at intimidation, it was another fail, as I had no idea he was following me until I got home and reviewed the footage.

I once had a bloke squeeze his Statesman between me in the centre of the left lane and a little Suzuki in the right lane, and then berate me for not being further left. I calmly explained that my position meant that I would not be run over by left turning vehicles and would not hold him up at all when the light went green as I would immediately move left out of the way(!)(the road widens after the intersection) As he held forth with more abuse the light went green. I wished him a good day and rode off. Lady in the little Suzuki didn't want to move cause he was so close. He was waving her forward. By the time the light was red again they were still sitting there, waving at each other to go, he floored it through the red......
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:23 am

Here's another idiot on the roads.... Gosnells, WA.

This idiot almost wiped me out AND the blue car next to me to my right... I deleted the audio because I was swearing like a trooper throughout the close call but the blue car was also on the horn at this idiot.

How do retards like this get a licence in the first place????????

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:03 am

Dodgy-Knee wrote:This idiot almost wiped me out AND the blue car next to me to my right... I deleted the audio because I was swearing like a trooper throughout the close call but the blue car was also on the horn at this idiot.
I'm guessing they brain farted and thought their green light was a green arrow rather than a filter turn. I've seen this happen quite a lot.

If they were deliberately trying to get around before oncoming traffic (yes, that's something else I've seen), they're going to gun it and go fast. This person looked like they were dawdling.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:18 pm

MisuVir wrote:
Dodgy-Knee wrote:This idiot almost wiped me out AND the blue car next to me to my right... I deleted the audio because I was swearing like a trooper throughout the close call but the blue car was also on the horn at this idiot.
I'm guessing they brain farted and thought their green light was a green arrow rather than a filter turn. I've seen this happen quite a lot.

If they were deliberately trying to get around before oncoming traffic (yes, that's something else I've seen), they're going to gun it and go fast. This person looked like they were dawdling.
Maybe... the driver was looking at me as she got towards the middle of the intersection and actually laughed at me when I gave her the finger.... didn't stop or slow or even take evasive action... I've got ultra bright daytime lights on my bike, I'm in a yellow cycling jersey, the car to my right was also sounding the horn but this idiot just kept on driving... might have been a brain fart but the laugh did it for me.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Probably was a brain fart and a failure to realise it. Hence her reaction.

I used to regularly go through an intersection which had cars do this all the time. I never noticed a difference in behaviour whether I was on my bike or in my car.

The issue was two right turning lanes, no right turn arrow and relatively little traffic from straight ahead. Thus many drivers simply didn't recognise their need to give way.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:11 pm

About the laughing, it could just be a panic / nervous reaction. We all do unexpected things sometimes. For example, I laugh when I'm in intense pain. It made my wife uncomfortable when I had to go to emergency once and I spent half the waiting time laughing.

You might notice I like giving people the benefit of the doubt. Not always warranted, but it's easier than being angry at everyone.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:40 pm

MisuVir wrote:You might notice I like giving people the benefit of the doubt. Not always warranted, but it's easier than being angry at everyone.
Agreed.
Hanlon's razor:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

That said, I think most off us have seen plenty of malice from drivers, words and actions. So its is sometimes easy to see it all as malice.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:42 pm

Nearly cleaned up a moto last night. Two lanes, stopped at lights. On the green my car went into limp mode, again, which meant a slow start across the intersection. I held up a coupe of cars for a few seconds hike I restarted and got it going properly. A motorbike came up decided to change lanes to in front of me to get into a gap at the same time I surged forwards. Had I not heard him coming and backed off s but he might not have had a big enough gap.

Me: moron, should really get the car sorted.
Him: to much of a rush - temporary Australian.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

pj

Postby pj » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:59 pm

Bloody trucks, I hate the way they sometimes start wide then cut back in too early. His cab end might have given me 1m but the back end sure didn't.

Hard to see from the video but I had to move into the gutter and cycle over a grate to try and maintain some distance from the back corner of the truck.

He made some weird hand gesture at me when I told him he was too close :lol:

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:23 am

MisuVir wrote:About the laughing, it could just be a panic / nervous reaction. We all do unexpected things sometimes. For example, I laugh when I'm in intense pain. It made my wife uncomfortable when I had to go to emergency once and I spent half the waiting time laughing.

You might notice I like giving people the benefit of the doubt. Not always warranted, but it's easier than being angry at everyone.
Gee... thanks for the great advice. I'll keep that in mind.

By the way... see my avatar? ... that's a result of another idiot driver who didn't give way to me and thought that they could just barge through an intersection... but if I'm ever in hospital again, I'll be sure to remember what you said.