Moron Motorists #3

Lukeyboy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 pm

trailgumby wrote:
biker jk wrote:Looks to be heading south from Road Warriors at Mt White.
Yep.
duncanm wrote:I'm struggling - is it a really low speed limit there or something?

Can't see what the motorcyclist did wrong otherwise.
We were scratching our heads a bit at first too.

Speed limit is 60 clicks. Going back on the GPS data on Garmin Training Centre we were doing 50-55, although it doesn't look that quick. I'm guessing MC was doing 75+. The riders that passed us 20-30 seconds later went past *much* more slowly. :lol:
I assume the motorcycle cop got him speeding over the crest.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:48 am

Today's MM was wearing headphones in his car such that he was oblivious to 115dB of air zound. That would be ok if he was looking, but no, was oblivious to all around. Apparently could read lips however

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:15 pm

I left hooked the cycling lane whilst driving one of the trucks this morning, turning into Royal Pde, Melbourne from Park St.

Luckily, the victim was a Toyota Corolla driving motorist who decided using the cycle lane meant 1. He could scooch up to the front. 2. There was no need to pay attention to my working indicator because as a cycle lane user he had right of way.

Don't try that at home kids!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:02 pm

fat and old wrote:I left hooked the cycling lane whilst driving one of the trucks this morning, turning into Royal Pde, Melbourne from Park St.

Luckily, the victim was a Toyota Corolla driving motorist who decided using the cycle lane meant 1. He could scooch up to the front. 2. There was no need to pay attention to my working indicator because as a cycle lane user he had right of way.

Don't try that at home kids!
Did you give his right side a touch?

My rough rule that morons come out in droves after Sat/Sun 8am was confirmed Sunday morning.
About 9.30am "I was riding along" with no shoulder, possibly 30cm right of the kerbing, on a 4 way carriageway, 60kph limit, and this tosser's side mirror missed me by about 1cm.
Closest call I've had in 2 years....

APART from
2 weeks ago, when after crossing train tracks, there was a car stopped at a left side street wanting to make a right hand turn across my path. She was a middle aged Asian lady with thick glasses, and seemed to be edging forwards as I approached. I went into defence mode and stopped pedaling.. I was within 3-4 meters when she just darted out in front while looking right at me. She had a give way sign too. Stunning. Just confirms some people don't know the rules, and/or have vision issues or higher processing issues. I kind of didn't get perturbed, because I expected the worst.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:11 pm

CKinnard wrote:I was within 3-4 meters when she just darted out in front while looking right at me. She had a give way sign too. Stunning. Just confirms some people don't know the rules, and/or have vision issues or higher processing issues.
this is how priority is negotiated in certain regions north of Australia. once you blink, you've surrendered 'right of way'. I know some people might think I'm being racist, but it's how driving works in some countries. obeying traffic signs and written rules is a uniquely Anglo concept

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:15 pm

fat and old wrote:There was no need to pay attention to my working indicator because as a cycle lane user he had right of way.
No he didn't.

141 No overtaking etc. to the left of a vehicle
(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not
overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle
unless—
(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road
and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in
a marked lane to the left of the vehicle; or
(b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a
U-turn from the centre of the road, and is
giving a right change of direction signal; or
(c) the vehicle is stationary and it is safe to
overtake to the left of the vehicle.

(2) The rider of a bicycle must not ride past, or
overtake, to the left of a vehicle that is turning left
and is giving a left change of direction signal.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:58 pm

jules21 wrote:
CKinnard wrote:I was within 3-4 meters when she just darted out in front while looking right at me. She had a give way sign too. Stunning. Just confirms some people don't know the rules, and/or have vision issues or higher processing issues.
this is how priority is negotiated in certain regions north of Australia. once you blink, you've surrendered 'right of way'. I know some people might think I'm being racist, but it's how driving works in some countries. obeying traffic signs and written rules is a uniquely Anglo concept
LOL... yeah lucky I wasn't wearing my sunnies, but just clear protective glasses.
though yes, she seemed somewhat anxious and confused, and may have interpreted me stopping pedaling as yielding to let her do her right hand turn. Though that's the way I roll now...if in doubt, hesitate or take defensive action.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:16 pm

P!N20 wrote:
fat and old wrote:There was no need to pay attention to my working indicator because as a cycle lane user he had right of way.
No he didn't.

141 No overtaking etc. to the left of a vehicle
(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not
overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle
unless—
(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road
and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in
a marked lane to the left of the vehicle; or
(b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a
U-turn from the centre of the road, and is
giving a right change of direction signal; or
(c) the vehicle is stationary and it is safe to
overtake to the left of the vehicle.

(2) The rider of a bicycle must not ride past, or
overtake, to the left of a vehicle that is turning left
and is giving a left change of direction signal.
I was stationary. Red light

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:19 pm

jasonc wrote:
then this one is interesting. Thrifty hire car will be getting a communication shortly

Driver issued a tin for driving on the wrong side of the road

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:38 pm

So, what got him all upset? He turned around after the video so obviously went out of his way to catch you up. It seems there must have been an earlier incident, not covered in your video, that got him all riled up?.

Ken

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:43 pm

kenwstr wrote:So, what got him all upset? He turned around after the video so obviously went out of his way to catch you up. It seems there must have been an earlier incident, not covered in your video, that got him all riled up?.
I yelled out "give way" as he was moving out looking like he was going to end up on top of me

opik_bidin

Re: 2018 Cycling Fatalities

Postby opik_bidin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:13 pm

not death, a driver tried stabbing a cyclist over 1 m gap rule

http://cycling.today/driver-stabs-cycli ... -gap-rule/
Last edited by find_bruce on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved as not a fatality (fortunately)

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Minor Injury, A cyclist in Redfern, Sydney in October 2018 ploughed by a car. CCTV by bus

https://au.news.yahoo.com/shocking-vide ... 25312.html

A woman has shared CCTV of a reckless Sydney driver mowing down a cyclist to strengthen the case of added safety and enforcement on the city’s roads.

The video captured at the intersection of Cleveland and Chalmers Street in Redfern on October 30 shows the cyclist coming to a stop at the traffic lights.

Suddenly, a car ploughs into her from behind before running a red light, clipping a pedestrian and hitting a passing van in the process.

Luckily, the cyclist suffered only minor injuries.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:15 pm

opik_bidin wrote:not death, a driver tried stabbing a cyclist over 1 m gap rule

It's strange that they are reporting that one as "news". It happened about 11 months ago, and this current story is not an update, but simply a cut and paste of the original.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/driver-s ... b88720702z

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:20 pm

MM bus driver who ran into Montague St Bridge in prison for 2.5 - 5.25 years for dangerous driving. Tried SMIDSY but for once the judge treated that excuse with contempt
"Three of your passengers saw the bridge. How it is that you did not, is astonishing," Judge Bill Stuart told Aston during sentencing.

"Why you were so grossly inattentive is unknown to me.”

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:48 pm

find_bruce wrote:MM bus driver who ran into Montague St Bridge in prison for 2.5 - 5.25 years for dangerous driving. Tried SMIDSY but for once the judge treated that excuse with contempt
"Three of your passengers saw the bridge. How it is that you did not, is astonishing," Judge Bill Stuart told Aston during sentencing.

A pity he wasn't the judge in cases involving motorists hitting cyclists. So many motorists have not even gone to gaol for far worse negligence hurting cyclists.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:37 pm

find_bruce wrote:MM bus driver who ran into Montague St Bridge in prison for 2.5 - 5.25 years for dangerous driving. Tried SMIDSY but for once the judge treated that excuse with contempt

Bugger me! How'd he end up with a sentance like that? Spit at the beak?

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Yeah it seems insane.

uart

Postby uart » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:51 pm

fat and old wrote: Bugger me! How'd he end up with a sentance like that?
It's a pretty simple formula actually. Just figure on a pedestrian or motorist death/injury carrying ten times the weight of a cyclist death/injury, and all of these sentences make perfect sense.

I bet that driver is lamenting that he didn't hit a pack of cyclists instead of that bridge, he could well have got a lesser sentence. Heck, he could have got a lesser sentence even if he admitted that he saw them and could have safely avoided them, but it was just inconvenient to do so.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:13 am

uart wrote:

It's strange that they are reporting that one as "news". It happened about 11 months ago, and this current story is not an update, but simply a cut and paste of the original.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/driver-s ... b88720702z
[Mod Says] I moved your posts as they were not fatalities (fortunately)[/Mod]

Daus

Postby Daus » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:50 pm

The motorist presumably felt threatened by the cyclist-it's insane. Lucky for him the police didn't pull him over approaching them with a knife in hand would have resulted in a totally different outcome.

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Hmmm, interesting. He's pulled into a disabled parking space but is sprightly enough to attack the guy with a box-cutter. Maybe being a total !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! is now classed as a disability.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Another example of "I can't be bothered waiting another 10 seconds"

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:55 pm

^ I reckon 10 seconds is generous.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:22 pm

Moron bus driver overtake stopped cars metres from stop lights.
From 7news Twitter.
It's the video sending chills through bus passengers a bus driver crossing over double white lines just metres from head on traffic at a busy intersection.
Police and the Transport Minister are furious saying lives have been put at risk.
https://t.co/WUlivpxbD2 https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 70049?s=17
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...