Moron Motorists #3

warthog1

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:53 pm

human909 wrote:Oh and bonus points for the Subaru driver for picking a road rage fight with a legal professional. :D :wink: :lol:
Yes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/of1bVlo_5Y4
Dogs are the best people :wink:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:26 am

human909 wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:And I would say that by crossing the solid line, he was cutting for corner and did not pass "as near as practicable to the right of the centre of the intersection".
I can't really disagree with that. But like I said you really have to be a stickler. While you are at it you might as well get the cyclist for not having a bell.

None of that changes the fact that the motorist was required to give way. In a regular course of events nobody would bat an eyelid for the turn the cyclist did.
I guess that's the rule. For mine, I thought that the solid line was not to be crossed, and you had to cross where the broken line was.

As for giving way, isn't the car in the right with the left turn? I don't know the state this is, but that's the case in Vic. If the car was going straight on (I think Mike may be on to something there) it's no contest. He was in the right. It's not a roundabout. Cyclist should have ridden with brains, not adrenalin.

The bell is a non issue in this instance; the fact is the cyclist thought he had time to turn, realised he didn't and did a silly thing. Even sillier, stopping in front of the car. Sure, lots of us have done that but if you do choose that course you have to be prepared for the consequences. In my eyes, it's a loose loose situation. Post turn, the car/driver should have been belted by the rider, and the rider has no business claiming road rage that he instigated.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:10 am

fat and old wrote: ...the fact is the cyclist thought he had time to turn, realised he didn't and did a silly thing. Even sillier, stopping in front of the car. Sure, lots of us have done that but if you do choose that course you have to be prepared for the consequences. In my eyes, it's a loose loose situation...
Yes, stopping to pick a fight was not only stupid, but probably illegal (creating an obstruction on the road). All for what? Because the car driver honked at him. There is perhaps a place for confronting a driver when your life has been threatened, but I can't help feeling this rider was looking for a fight.

But none of that excuses the car driver.

Meto500

Postby Meto500 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:21 am

I get this crap all the time on the GWY when riding home from Work.
there is a pathway / cycleway before and after a bridge at Huntingwood but I need enter the HWY for 10 metres.
usually doing about 35k but cars and trucks always decide they are going to share lanes.
I have hit up the RTA to correct this on the cycle network website and have had numerous calls but no correction as there is works going on for the Zoo that is being built in Western Sydney

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:00 pm

The Jeep Cherokee that swerved towards me today (he was going the opposite direction).

I was at about 35km/h, he would have been doing 60km/h I guess. No idea what he was playing at, but not impressed. I wish I had a camera going at the time.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:33 am

A 20-year-old Belconnen woman will be summonsed to appear before court, facing multiple driving related charges. The driver, whose licence at the time was already suspended, was caught drink driving twice in just over an hour last night (Saturday, 21 July) while driving unregistered and uninsured car

https://policenews.act.gov.au/news/medi ... -one-night

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Oh dear we have to wait in line, I might be held up for 30 seconds.
Let's just use the emergency stopping lane.
Lemmings!

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Another day, another close pass, Mini bus passed me in an 80 zone, mostly in the same lane, no fog line and a wide lane but still, gravel on left meant I couldn't hug the edge so definitely much less than 1 metre & should have been at least 1.5 anyway. It's a big loud and heavy vehicle, close enough to tho give me quite a start. Then the police car following immediately behind the mini bas did......absolutely nothing at all.

Next incident on a narrow 2 lane bridge a bit further along the same road, another overtake across the bridge deck, straddling the centerline. Not especially close but still, it's a bridge so absolutely no refuge if anything goes amiss. When I did my test, overtaking on bridges was illegal but seems common practice these days........ Grrrr!
Ken

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:09 pm

kenwstr wrote: Next incident on a narrow 2 lane bridge a bit further along the same road, another overtake across the bridge deck, straddling the centerline. Not especially close but still, it's a bridge so absolutely no refuge if anything goes amiss. When I did my test, overtaking on bridges was illegal but seems common practice these days........ Grrrr!
Ken
Overtaking on bridges, in and of itself, is only illegal if there is a "no overtaking on bridge" sign; though obviously all other road rules must be obeyed as well. Which isn't to say it wasn't a dangerous pass!

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
kenwstr wrote: Next incident on a narrow 2 lane bridge a bit further along the same road, another overtake across the bridge deck, straddling the centerline. Not especially close but still, it's a bridge so absolutely no refuge if anything goes amiss. When I did my test, overtaking on bridges was illegal but seems common practice these days........ Grrrr!
Ken
Overtaking on bridges, in and of itself, is only illegal if there is a "no overtaking on bridge" sign; though obviously all other road rules must be obeyed as well. Which isn't to say it wasn't a dangerous pass!
Here http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety- ... idges.html says "When you come to a bridge which is wide enough for only two vehicles, slow down and drive carefully. Sometimes you are not allowed to overtake a vehicle going in the same direction or to pass a vehicle coming towards you."

That's fIne but the main point was the lack of action from the police who obviously witnessed the minibus breaking the minimum passing distance rule and lane sharing. I don't mind if the police don't lay charges but I do expect them to at least pull the driver up and inform them of the law. This needs to be done because a lot of drivers simply don't care or don't know that it's 1.5 m when the limit is above 60 kmph, and all of them think it's OK to lane share. Personally I don't mind lane sharing so long as it's done with care, not in a pinch point or into oncoming traffic and at a reduced speed and observing the min passing distance.

The point here is that passing should be done safely. It frustrates me when the police don't care about safety either.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:08 pm

kenwstr wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Ken
That's fine, thanks for clearing it up.

Here http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety- ... idges.html says "When you come to a bridge which is wide enough for only two vehicles, slow down and drive carefully. Sometimes you are not allowed to overtake a vehicle going in the same direction or to pass a vehicle coming towards you." Well, they don't slow down, rather they consistently speed up and display no care or caution at all.

The main point though was the lack of action from the police who obviously witnessed the minibus breaking the minimum passing distance rule and lane sharing. I don't mind if the police don't lay charges but I do expect them to at least pull the driver up and inform them of the law. This needs to be done because a lot of drivers simply don't care or don't know that it's 1.5 m when the limit is above 60 kmph, and all of them think it's OK to lane share. Personally I don't mind lane sharing so long as it's done with care, not in a pinch point or into oncoming traffic and at a reduced speed and observing the min passing distance.

The point here is that passing should be done safely. It frustrates me when the police don't care about safety either.

pj

Postby pj » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:19 am

Tonight's moron, must get in front, luckily they didn't follow through on the left hook.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:59 am

borderline on reporting this one

uart

Postby uart » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:36 am

pj wrote:Tonight's moron, must get in front, luckily they didn't follow through on the left hook.
Yeah it's surprising just how often that happens. Where a car comes right up beside you indicating to turn left across your path, without even any attempt to actually pass you, and then just sit there in the middle of the road until you pass the intersection. Even if they don't try to hook you it's still like - why not just stay behind if you are going to have to wait anyway.

BTW pj, I also get a lot of the type of close passes etc the you get (as I'm sure do many others here). Unfortunately higher bike speed seems to exacerbate some of these incidents due to poor judgement of the cyclists speed by many motorists. I can't quite tell from your videos, but are you running power assist (aka an ebike).
Last edited by uart on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:48 am

jasonc wrote:borderline on reporting this one
Notice how the motorist seems loath to put a tyre on the double lines, and would much rather endanger your life instead!

I notice this same thing very often as well. Unfortunately the law change allowing the motorist to do this (when safe) - which came in with the min passing dist laws - is still very little known by the majority of motorists.

Not that it would would necessarily make that much difference anyway. Because I also notice the exact same behavior even on roads without the double unbroken lines. That is, even where the motorist can legally cross the lines outside of the min passing laws. Even in these cases, if there is a marked centre line of any description, so many motorists will choose to close pass you rather than put a tyre on (or over) that line! :x

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 am

uart wrote:
jasonc wrote:borderline on reporting this one
Notice how the motorist seems loath to put a tyre on the double lines, and would much rather endanger your life instead!

I notice this same thing very often as well. Unfortunately the law change allowing the motorist to do this (when safe) - which came in with the min passing dist laws - is still very little known by the majority of motorists.

Not that it would would necessarily make that much difference anyway. Because I also notice the exact same behavior even on roads without the double unbroken lines. That is, even where the motorist can legally cross the lines outside of the min passing laws. Even in these cases, if there is a marked centre line of any description, so many motorists will choose to close pass you rather than put a tyre on (or over) that line! :x
They seem generally unable to cope with more than one rule at a time. For example, Jasonic was on the left of a broken line, so that's a different lane right, so it's not really and overtake, just travelling through in a different lane, so overtaking laws don't apply..... Knuckleheads. Many overtakes appear to be done on the principal of, which overtaking rule can I choose to apply here, like it's optional, as long as you follow one of them, the others don't matter.... Knuckleheads. :roll:

Yea, the concession to go over the double line (when safe) only sanctions lane sharing which in effect ensures it will be a close pass every time. Well done!

Yes I know I'm developing an exceeding poor attitude towards drivers.

pj

Postby pj » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:24 am

uart wrote:
pj wrote:Tonight's moron, must get in front, luckily they didn't follow through on the left hook.
Yeah it's surprising just how often that happens. Where a car comes right up beside you indicating to turn left across your path, without even any attempt to actually pass you, and then just sit there in the middle of the road until you pass the intersection. Even if they don't try to hook you it's still like - why not just stay behind if you are going to have to wait anyway.

BTW pj, I also get a lot of the type of close passes etc the you get (as I'm sure do many others here). Unfortunately higher bike speed seems to exacerbate some of these incidents due to poor judgement of the cyclists speed by many motorist. I can't quite tell from your videos, but are you running power assist (aka an ebike).
Yes it's very frustrating because you then have to make a decision to undertake not knowing if they have seen you are not. Usually in this situation I would come to a complete stop but in this case I was going down hill with lots of extra weight, no chance of stopping.

No power assist, just wheetbix :D but agree about the speed, it definitely catches out some motorists who expect cyclists to be meandering along at 10km/hr.

pj

Postby pj » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:25 am

jasonc wrote:

borderline on reporting this one
Have the police in your area ever taken any action?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:24 pm

pj wrote:Have the police in your area ever taken any action?
Indooroopilly police officer in charge isn't a fan of cyclists. I've had a couple get tickets but most get no action. I've even had one driver close pass me twice (4 months apart) get no action

note in my video I didn't go into the unmarked bike lane because it's not marked. the vehicle overtook me wholly within the lane.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:23 pm

pj wrote:
uart wrote:

BTW pj, I also get a lot of the type of close passes etc the you get (as I'm sure do many others here). Unfortunately higher bike speed seems to exacerbate some of these incidents due to poor judgement of the cyclists speed by many motorist. I can't quite tell from your videos, but are you running power assist (aka an ebike).
Yes it's very frustrating because you then have to make a decision to undertake not knowing if they have seen you are not. Usually in this situation I would come to a complete stop but in this case I was going down hill with lots of extra weight, no chance of stopping.

No power assist, just wheetbix :D but agree about the speed, it definitely catches out some motorists who expect cyclists to be meandering along at 10km/hr.
I find frustration from this even from the most curteoua and considerate of drivers.

There needs to be better education. Left turns should be made from as far left as practicable, that would normally mean driving in the bike lane. If drivers did this more then it would make life easier and happier for all involved.

pj

Postby pj » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:18 pm

jasonc wrote:
pj wrote:Have the police in your area ever taken any action?
I've had a couple get tickets
Better than nothing, hopefully they learnt something from the experience.

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Good old truck and dog drivers...

2010 BMC SLC01

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:52 pm

hannos wrote:Good old truck and dog drivers...
Gotta love the Bourke Rd cycleway aka truck parking & loading zone

pj

Postby pj » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Everyday there is someone parked in it!

Personally I hate the bus stops with the blind chicanes where the footpath merges into the cycle lane... Let your concentration lapse at these points and you are either taking out a pedestrian or having a head on with an oncoming rider.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:51 pm

pj wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
Everyday there is someone parked in it!

Personally I hate the bus stops with the blind chicanes where the footpath merges into the cycle lane... Let your concentration lapse at these points and you are either taking out a pedestrian or having a head on with an oncoming rider.
Is there a fast way of reporting it? I know that COS is keen to clamp down on that when it can
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?