Moron Motorists #3

jasonc

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:50 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:
jasonc wrote:moped rider
Probably the same one I came across at that same spot a couple months ago.
Next time I'll get the rego

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Me this morning. Could have sworn the van approaching me from behind was indicating and turning left behind me, but the video suggests neither was the case, although he had slowed a fair bit to pass a rider behind me. So I pulled out to turn right when I should have waited, and he had to brake slightly. Sorry...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:00 pm

Had some chap perform a Uturn quite close before overtaking with some space however not much space for the car coming the other way.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:55 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Had some chap perform a Uturn quite close before overtaking with some space however not much space for the car coming the other way.

Silly move but you made him do it, right?...

So Luke have you got spokey dokes on your bike or something? :)

Thoglette

From the "you'd be safe if only you'd stay off our roads" file

Postby Thoglette » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm

NYT Tweeted
A driver trying to park a minivan in Manhattan's Chinatown careened over a curb and onto a sidewalk Monday night, killing a 56-year-old man and injuring 6 others, the authorities said. Image
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

opik_bidin

Re: From the "you'd be safe if only you'd stay off our roads" file

Postby opik_bidin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Thoglette wrote:NYT Tweeted
A driver trying to park a minivan in Manhattan's Chinatown careened over a curb and onto a sidewalk Monday night, killing a 56-year-old man and injuring 6 others, the authorities said. Image
I used these jumping kerb incidents whenver I'm shouted by pro helmets " You would die/seriously injured if you didn't wear a helmet". If they really believe that, they should wear helmets while walking on the sidewalks too, as jumping kerbs and crash from driveways are not that unusual.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:18 pm

opik_bidin wrote:
Thoglette wrote:NYT Tweeted
I used these jumping kerb incidents whenver I'm shouted by pro helmets " You would die/seriously injured if you didn't wear a helmet". If they really believe that, they should wear helmets while walking on the sidewalks too, as jumping kerbs and crash from driveways are not that unusual.
Even if you don't consider kerb jumping incidents, ~10 times as many people in Australia die from tripping over or stumbling than die in cycling accidents.

Similarly, for every fatal cycling accident there are ~1.5 deaths due to people falling on steps (which is a well defined activity where helmets can be provided at the top and bottom of every set of steps so that people can step "safely", I mean, how reckless would you have to be to walk up or down steps without a helmet when it is 1.5 times more likely to kill you than a "dangerous" activity like cycling).

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:02 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Silly move but you made him do it, right?...
Must be the super stylish BNA kit that you can see me wearing in the video. But I wasn't wearing the BNA kit tonight when this happened though...

InTheWoods wrote:So Luke have you got spokey dokes on your bike or something? :)
Nah, the cameras weren't on my bike. I'm the one looking at numnuts overtaking with a car coming the other way.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Must be the super stylish BNA kit that you can see me wearing in the video. But I wasn't wearing the BNA kit tonight when this happened though...

InTheWoods wrote:So Luke have you got spokey dokes on your bike or something? :)
Nah, the cameras weren't on my bike. I'm the one looking at numnuts overtaking with a car coming the other way.
Please report that and copy in BQ. That has to be one of the worst close passes I've seen.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:

Please report that and copy in BQ. That has to be one of the worst close passes I've seen.
This isn't the first one here... Council/TMR are playing games with the cycling infrastructure in this area. Might take someone actually getting sideswiped before someone actually acts.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:24 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:This isn't the first one here... Council/TMR are playing games with the cycling infrastructure in this area. Might take someone actually getting sideswiped before someone actually acts.
It's egregious. And it's a slam dunk evidence-wise. You're in the bike lane. So is the ute. Cannot possibly be a metre passing distance.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 pm

trailgumby wrote:It's egregious. And it's a slam dunk evidence-wise. You're in the bike lane. So is the ute. Cannot possibly be a metre passing distance.
As far as I know both videos were cautions.
https://vimeo.com/159046018
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:

Woah. You are reporting that aren't you? That was super close, what on earth was the driver thinking? Pass the QP number to BQ and they will follow up with QPS if the repsonse is inadequate.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:14 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Woah. You are reporting that aren't you? That was super close, what on earth was the driver thinking? Pass the QP number to BQ and they will follow up with QPS if the repsonse is inadequate.
Already reported it to the QPS via the online process.

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:26 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Woah. You are reporting that aren't you? That was super close, what on earth was the driver thinking? Pass the QP number to BQ and they will follow up with QPS if the repsonse is inadequate.
Already reported it to the QPS via the online process.
What I find the most astounding about that video is that the driver is obviously unfit to be in charge of a motor vehicle either due to negligence or dangerous intent yet the bike with the camera goes all out to keep up with it, riding beside and just in front of it. Surely the safest place to be with an idiot driver like that is behind ...... well behind.

Instinct for self preservation not great.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:22 am

FYI I didn’t go all out. If I did I would have over took it and the next 2 cars and beat them to the hill but instead I just tempo'd behind at my own pace following for the next 1.5km. Was freewheeling some parts :P That type of move happens a lot on that corner. People rather creep into the bike lane or drift into the oncoming lane and hit someone rather than lift off the throttle and apply the breaks.

Note the cateye under the car in the first photo and the road centre marking in the second with the oncoming car.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:22 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:That type of move happens a lot on that corner.
I find it happens a lot on all such (badly) designed bike lanes.

There's some absolute shockers near my place that take no consideration of how people actually drive around corners.

The other classic is the bike lane with an obstruction (island or parking) that curves away from the gutter towards the center of a curve in the road after the apex.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:22 pm

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 pm

duncanm wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:That type of move happens a lot on that corner.
I find it happens a lot on all such (badly) designed bike lanes.

There's some absolute shockers near my place that take no consideration of how people actually drive around corners.

The other classic is the bike lane with an obstruction (island or parking) that curves away from the gutter towards the center of a curve in the road after the apex.
Agree, painted lines to define a lane on corners are constantly crossed

BTW Luke, I cringed when you rode within the door zone, which is where the bike path is. Bike paths within door zones are a death waiting to happen
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:37 pm

Which is why I normally slotted in my usual position behind the car at my usual speed and yet some people think thats risky. Can't win em all :P

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:42 pm

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:33 pm

P!N20 wrote:Dear god, what chance do we have? https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 45881fa79d
Yep, the other day my daughter and I were driving along Parkes way in Canberra and the guy just in front was weaving all over the place. My daughter could see his huge phone set in a holder in the dash and he was watching a youtube channel. There are plenty of people out there who just don't care about anybody :roll:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 pm

jindydiver wrote:
P!N20 wrote:Dear god, what chance do we have? https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 45881fa79d
Yep, the other day my daughter and I were driving along Parkes way in Canberra and the guy just in front was weaving all over the place. My daughter could see his huge phone set in a holder in the dash and he was watching a youtube channel. There are plenty of people out there who just don't care about anybody :roll:
I’ve seen I seem it too. Little miss ‘I’m better than you’ p plater in her flashy sports car with personalised plates with video playing on her phone.

Today I was headed down the motorway and the overhead message bird says keep left, accident ahead. Before we get to the flashing lights cars start moving right. 4 car pile up on the left 200m before the accident site from the message. Only just happened as people were getting out of cars. Biggest moron part was that they all stopped in the left two lanes instead of trying to move out of the way. At least 3 would have been drivable. Up ahead there was a tow truck dragging a hatchback out of the bushes in the median.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:42 pm

Scott_C wrote: Even if you don't consider kerb jumping incidents, ~10 times as many people in Australia die from tripping over or stumbling than die in cycling accidents.

Similarly, for every fatal cycling accident there are ~1.5 deaths due to people falling on steps (which is a well defined activity where helmets can be provided at the top and bottom of every set of steps so that people can step "safely", I mean, how reckless would you have to be to walk up or down steps without a helmet when it is 1.5 times more likely to kill you than a "dangerous" activity like cycling).
But how many more cyclists would die if we didn’t have MHLs, the numbers would be much closer. /naysayer
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:47 pm

bychosis wrote:But how many more cyclists would die if we didn’t have MHLs, the numbers would be much closer. /naysayer
There is no evidence that MHLs have reduced the likelihood of cyclist dying on our roads. In fact there is a good chance it has made things worse. But of course you know this already.