jasonc

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:54 pm

My opinion. That's to say. I would have stopped to give way

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:07 pm

jasonc wrote:My opinion. That's to say. I would have stopped to give way
I agree. That's not defensive riding. As a vulnerable road user you need to ride defensively. No point being right and injured/killed.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:19 pm

biker jk wrote:
I agree. That's not defensive riding. As a vulnerable road user you need to ride defensively. No point being right and injured/killed.
Regardless of what one should or shouldn't of done, there's no justification for ramming. I'd report it to the police
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:37 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
biker jk wrote:
Regardless of what one should or shouldn't of done, there's no justification for ramming. I'd report it to the police
Of course there's no justification for the motorist's actions but the ramming may never have occurred if the cyclist had stopped to give way. It's not smart riding, period.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:34 pm

mikesbytes wrote: Regardless of what one should or shouldn't of done, there's no justification for ramming. I'd report it to the police
Agreed

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm

jasonc wrote:Cyclist failed to give way. Driver an ass
Cyclist made a very dumb mistake. Driver embarked on 'assault-with-motor-vehicle'.

Absolutely NO excuse for the driver's continued assault actions!! Please tell me that this damn c*^t of a driver has been reported to police :x

*BTW the driver pulled out of the service road as the rider was commencing the turn. He no doubt expected the driver was proceeding straight and skipped through ahead, but the driver turned left (no indicator), got all incensed, and then proceeded with his bike-assault actions.
uart wrote:Remember that a vehicle entering a roadway from private property has to give way to ALL road users already on the road they are entering.
Yes. Not just from private property, but also from a service lane.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:25 pm

To everyone who is saying it was clearly the cyclist's fault. Take a look at the streetview where it happened. In all honesty there couldn't have been more than a second in it as to which party had clear priority there.

At the point on the road shown below, the cyclist had just commenced his turn (crosses slightly too early just past the right turn arrow) at the exact time that the motorist has just fully entered the road.

The motorist has to give way to *everyone* that is already on the road when exiting from that car park service road.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-37.847 ... 312!8i6656

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:33 pm

There was no collision in the normal course of events. Nor even a near collision. So discussion of who was at 'fault' isn't really relevant.

I'd agree that in both the turn and stopping in the middle of the road the rider did not behave in the most defensive manner. But hey, I've done similar before so I'm not about to judge.

Deliberate ramming of any vehicle should be treated as a serious crime. Deliberate ramming of vulnerable road user even more so. Nobody who behaves in this manner deserves to keep their license.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Oh and bonus points for the Subaru driver for picking a road rage fight with a legal professional. :D :wink: :lol:

skull

Postby skull » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:02 pm

seconded. Drive / ride defensively

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:53 pm

I can understand the cyclists frustration and anger and why he stopped...probably sick of all the idiots who don't understand the road rules and treat cyclists with no regard.

Hopefully this will take one of them off the road for a while.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:34 pm

HenryCharlie wrote:I can understand the cyclists frustration and anger and why he stopped...probably sick of all the idiots who don't understand the road rules and treat cyclists with no regard.
Pretty much this.

Sometimes there is a blurry line between riding defensively and riding deferentially/submissively. The later can make you immediately safer but generally it makes cyclists LESS safe on the roads.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:48 pm

uart wrote:To everyone who is saying it was clearly the cyclist's fault. Take a look at the streetview where it happened. In all honesty there couldn't have been more than a second in it as to which party had clear priority there.
Cyclist realised his casual turn was to be interrupted, had a MGIF moment, sped up, illegally crossed a solid white line in order to assert his presence in the lane before the car and paid the price. Life sucks. Cyclist should have chucked his bike through the windscreen, completed the trifecta. Car deserved it

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:56 pm

my MM today, very close punishment pass, seemed like 2 inches. Quiet suburban street, cycling in the parking lane, except for parked cars. in the last block before my left turn, i stand to power up the hill (27 kmph), check rear, car maybe100 m back, so I come out to pass a some parked cars. I hear the following car revving and he almost shaves me with his wing mirror, stops at the intersection and waits fo me to catch up, then starts yelling get off the road, get off the road.... I call him a dip !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, take a left and continue on my way. wish I had a camera so I could have the frustration of making reports that get ignored. I did buy one online but it doesn't work. A replacement is supposedly on the way but it's been weeks so not really expecting a result there. Another ride, another moron testosterone fueled jerk, perhaps enforced nutering is the answer. :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:17 pm

fat and old wrote:
uart wrote:To everyone who is saying it was clearly the cyclist's fault. Take a look at the streetview where it happened. In all honesty there couldn't have been more than a second in it as to which party had clear priority there.
Cyclist realised his casual turn was to be interrupted, had a MGIF moment, sped up, illegally crossed a solid white line in order to assert his presence in the lane before the car and paid the price. Life sucks. Cyclist should have chucked his bike through the windscreen, completed the trifecta. Car deserved it
A cyclist had a MGIF - oh dear. Lucky motorists never do that :)

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:45 pm

mikesbytes wrote:A cyclist had a MGIF - oh dear. Lucky motorists never do that :)
Yeah, but ramming them with your bike is usually ineffective.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:40 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
fat and old wrote:
A cyclist had a MGIF - oh dear. Lucky motorists never do that :)
So it’s ok to bomb trains too? Two wrongs etc etc....

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:01 pm

fat and old wrote:So it’s ok to bomb trains too? Two wrongs etc etc....
:shock: :!: :?: Say What? A bit of a jump there.

Whether the cyclist did any wrong is quite debatable, I have yet to see anyone articulate what law was broken. He wasn't required to give way to cars not on the roadway. Nor was it illegal to cross the solid white line. Meanwhile the motorist was required to give way to the cyclist on the roadway.
fat and old wrote:Cyclist .... illegally crossed a solid white line
My reading of the law still makes it clear that you can do so when making or approaching a turn. I welcome you to provide evidence otherwise.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Cyclist clearly did an illegal turn. Here is a screen grab of the moment he crosses the white line. The line is still solid, and after this point he rides 5 or so metres on the wrong side of the road:

Then he does a second thing wrong: stopping in the middle of the road to have an argument.

But none of that excuses the car driver, who in my opinion could be charged for deliberate damage to property, and possibly assault. It would probably be a good thing if they both were charged.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:17 pm

human909 wrote: Whether the cyclist did any wrong is quite debatable, I have yet to see anyone articulate what law was broken.
31—Starting a right turn from a road (except a multi-lane road)
(2) If the road has a dividing line or median strip, the driver must approach and enter the intersection from the left of, parallel to, and as near as practicable to, the dividing line or median strip.

(EDIT) on 2nd thoughts (31) is debatable, as he could argue he was "entering the intersection" at the point of the screenshot above. But I don't see any way around:

132—Keeping to the left of the centre of a road or the dividing line
(2) A driver on a road with a dividing line must drive to the left of the dividing line, except as permitted under rule 134 or 139(2)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:36 pm

uart wrote:Has anyone seen this latest video from Sean.H. (I think he's posted other video's here before.) This one is an absolute shocker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwzgLHUs1J0
I can't see an indicator exiting onto the road or turning left. It does make me wonder if the motorist was actually going to go straight but turned left so to pick a fight

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:53 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:(EDIT) on 2nd thoughts (31) is debatable, as he could argue he was "entering the intersection" at the point of the screenshot above.
Exactly.
AdelaidePeter wrote: 132—Keeping to the left of the centre of a road or the dividing line
(2) A driver on a road with a dividing line must drive to the left of the dividing line, except as permitted under rule 134 or 139(2)
"the driver may drive to the right of the dividing line— (a) to enter or leave the road"

You really have to be a stickler to start pointing fingers at the cyclist on this one.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:06 pm

human909 wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:(EDIT) on 2nd thoughts (31) is debatable, as he could argue he was "entering the intersection" at the point of the screenshot above.
Exactly.
AdelaidePeter wrote: 132—Keeping to the left of the centre of a road or the dividing line
"the driver may drive to the right of the dividing line— (a) to enter or leave the road"

You really have to be a stickler to start pointing fingers at the cyclist on this one.
But he's doesn't cross the line to leave the road, at least not initially. He crosses it to ride on the wrong side for about 5 metres, and only after that does he leave the road.

(EDIT) Also:
33—Making a right turn
(3) If there is no turn line indicating how the turn is required to be made, the driver must
make the turn so the driver—
(a) passes as near as practicable to the right of the centre of the intersection;

And I would say that by crossing the solid line, he was cutting for corner and did not pass "as near as practicable to the right of the centre of the intersection".

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:51 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:And I would say that by crossing the solid line, he was cutting for corner and did not pass "as near as practicable to the right of the centre of the intersection".
I can't really disagree with that. But like I said you really have to be a stickler. While you are at it you might as well get the cyclist for not having a bell.

None of that changes the fact that the motorist was required to give way. In a regular course of events nobody would bat an eyelid for the turn the cyclist did.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:10 pm