Moron Motorists #3

Jmuzz

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Jmuzz » Tue May 29, 2018 1:04 pm

b4igo wrote:Thanks mate. Appreciate the extra detail! Your videos look pretty good, but unfortunately that won’t be enough battery life for me.
Consider using an external powerbank cable connected.
Just be careful to select camera which supports recording while on charge.

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Tue May 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Jmuzz wrote:
b4igo wrote:Thanks mate. Appreciate the extra detail! Your videos look pretty good, but unfortunately that won’t be enough battery life for me.

Thanks, that is a possible option. I’ve been considering the Cycliq camera/lights for a while. Unfortunately I should have considered quicker - I was knocked off my bike this morning by a car entering the roundabout I was 3/4 of the way through. Bike goes in tomorrow for a check over. It all happened at fairly low speed, so at this stage it appears no major damage to me, thankfully.

pj

Postby pj » Tue May 29, 2018 2:59 pm

b4igo wrote:
Jmuzz wrote:

Thanks, that is a possible option. I’ve been considering the Cycliq camera/lights for a while. Unfortunately I should have considered quicker - I was knocked off my bike this morning by a car entering the roundabout I was 3/4 of the way through. Bike goes in tomorrow for a check over. It all happened at fairly low speed, so at this stage it appears no major damage to me, thankfully.

Sorry to hear that, hope you are OK. Just need to make sure you can connect the power supply while keeping the camera waterproof. With mine it's not possible to do that as you need to open the case to access the power port.

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Tue May 29, 2018 3:04 pm

pj wrote:
b4igo wrote:
Jmuzz wrote:

Sorry to hear that, hope you are OK. Just need to make sure you can connect the power supply while keeping the camera waterproof. With mine it's not possible to do that as you need to open the case to access the power port.

Thanks pj. I think it will be more of an inconvenience than anything while the bike is assessed, insurance claim processed, etc.

Will have to sort out those cameras now :(

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue May 29, 2018 3:09 pm

Most won't support waterproof cable.
But you can do stuff with glue etc.

It gets messy and that's where Cycliq currently have no competition despite their flaws.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue May 29, 2018 3:10 pm

b4igo wrote:Thanks, that is a possible option. I’ve been considering the Cycliq camera/lights for a while. Unfortunately I should have considered quicker - I was knocked off my bike this morning by a car entering the roundabout I was 3/4 of the way through. Bike goes in tomorrow for a check over. It all happened at fairly low speed, so at this stage it appears no major damage to me, thankfully.
The camera doesn't prevent you getting knocked off though. One of my colleagues borrowed a Fly 12 from the cycling co-ordinator at work last Tuesday because he was considering picking one up for an upcoming cycling tour and wanted to see what it was like and he was then knocked off his bike on the Thursday morning (just scrapes and bruises to him and a bent shifter on the bike).

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Tue May 29, 2018 3:17 pm

Scott_C wrote:The camera doesn't prevent you getting knocked off though. One of my colleagues borrowed a Fly 12 from the cycling co-ordinator at work last Tuesday because he was considering picking one up for an upcoming cycling tour and wanted to see what it was like and he was then knocked off his bike on the Thursday morning (just scrapes and bruises to him and a bent shifter on the bike).
Obviously :D But it could be considered good insurance in case there are conflicting stories later.

murbul

Postby murbul » Tue May 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Jmuzz wrote:It gets messy and that's where Cycliq currently have no competition despite their flaws.
Drift Ghost 4K with its removable/extendable batteries is another option

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue May 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Scott_C wrote: The camera doesn't prevent you getting knocked off though.
No dashcam does, but they do make a huge difference in insurance/fault claims.
Dashcam sites are full of examples where the camera evidence proves the other party was telling blatent lies which they would have got away with. Plus situations where people pull scams until the camera gets pointed out.

A friend got hit with a first gen Cycliq and the video was the only evidence (not even memory of the car).
Resulted in full compo (significant time off work and physio costs) and bike replacement.

pj

Postby pj » Thu May 31, 2018 1:25 am

Riding in a 40 km/hr zone, this clown crosses over double white lines, on a blind bend, while speeding, then after passing slams on the brakes at a speed hump.....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 31, 2018 8:44 am

pj wrote:Riding in a 40 km/hr zone, this clown crosses over double white lines, on a blind bend, while speeding, then after passing slams on the brakes at a speed hump.....

And directly ahead of him is the most profitable speed camera in Australia. I hope he contributed to the NSW budget
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 31, 2018 11:55 am

Today was a 2 moron morning - coming downhill to a T junction - give way signs on left & right. Moron #1 in an SUV on my right looks & decides f it & pulls straight in front of me, emergency braking & swerving right sees me clear him only to nearly be taken out by moron #2 on the left who obviously decided if moron #1 can go, so can I.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu May 31, 2018 12:49 pm

Not my video. We think he was watching us, not the oncoming traffic. Still not sure if he ever saw the truck.

"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu May 31, 2018 3:17 pm

Valet driver at Sydney's Hyatt Regency Hotel somehow managed to wedge the Porsche they were driving underneath an empty car.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-3 ... ar/9819152
Go!Run!GAH!

pj

Postby pj » Thu May 31, 2018 3:21 pm

mikesbytes wrote: And directly ahead of him is the most profitable speed camera in Australia. I hope he contributed to the NSW budget
Yes hopefully!
find_bruce wrote:Today was a 2 moron morning - coming downhill to a T junction - give way signs on left & right. Moron #1 in an SUV on my right looks & decides f it & pulls straight in front of me, emergency braking & swerving right sees me clear him only to nearly be taken out by moron #2 on the left who obviously decided if moron #1 can go, so can I.
That's a horrible junction, I'm surprised more cars don't end up in the water.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu May 31, 2018 5:09 pm

pj wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Today was a 2 moron morning - coming downhill to a T junction - give way signs on left & right. Moron #1 in an SUV on my right looks & decides f it & pulls straight in front of me, emergency braking & swerving right sees me clear him only to nearly be taken out by moron #2 on the left who obviously decided if moron #1 can go, so can I.
Slightly off topic, but what's the rationale behind that give way system? (Both directions of continuing road give way to terminating road). I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
pj wrote:
Slightly off topic, but what's the rationale behind that give way system? (Both directions of continuing road give way to terminating road). I don't think I've ever seen that before.
The arrangement gives right of way to traffic coming down the terminating road and turning in either direction.

This intersection near me achieves the same result with a much more civilised and intuitive layout (ignoring the driveway entrance on the far side of the intersection).

In my example they have deprioritised the continuing road as the left hand side is a dead end. I can't tell why they have applied this arrangement in the original example other than assuming that the left hand side of the continuing road is for some reason considerably less desirable than the terminating road.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu May 31, 2018 5:41 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:Image

Valet driver at Sydney's Hyatt Regency Hotel somehow managed to wedge the Porsche they were driving underneath an empty car.

As the story makes clear, this was the fault of the car, if any fault can be laid at all. The valet "lived to tell the tale after the soft-top sports car he was parking this morning ended up underneath another car"... "the fire brigade and the police (were) on the scene as soon as we could and the vehicle was on the bottom on the other one"... "the car ran into the orange car and then wedged itself under it"...

So probably just one of those funny old things that cars do. Oh cars, you do make us laugh!

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu May 31, 2018 5:52 pm

Howzat wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote:Image

As the story makes clear, this was the fault of the car, if any fault can be laid at all. The valet "lived to tell the tale after the soft-top sports car he was parking this morning ended up underneath another car"... "the fire brigade and the police (were) on the scene as soon as we could and the vehicle was on the bottom on the other one"... "the car ran into the orange car and then wedged itself under it"...

So probably just one of those funny old things that cars do. Oh cars, you do make us laugh!
I imagine HR at the hotel are at least smart enough to know the valet's days are over.
Go!Run!GAH!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:47 pm

pj wrote:That's a horrible junction, I'm surprised more cars don't end up in the water.
I have lived in the area for 20 years & am not aware of even a single car ending up in the water - the risk is obvious & people go slower & turn harder than they need to. Notice how the give way sign on the right is set back from the intersection - it has regularly been taken out by incompetent fools cutting the corner. A treatment like Scott_C linked to would look nicer but come at the risk of higher speeds
AdelaidePeter wrote:Slightly off topic, but what's the rationale behind that give way system? (Both directions of continuing road give way to terminating road). I don't think I've ever seen that before.
Pretty much as Scott_C says. It is all about traffic flow, in some places it is to prioritise traffic from a particular direction, eg 1 or to discourage traffic from a particular direction, eg 2

It is much better than installing a roundabout where the morons on the "continuing road" think everyone must give way to them and they have a right to enter the roundabout at or above the speed limit

Some places they make it look like the "continuing road" is actually the side street eg 3

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:
pj wrote:That's a horrible junction, I'm surprised more cars don't end up in the water.
I have lived in the area for 20 years & am not aware of even a single car ending up in the water <snip>
Me too and that goes for the entire bay. But somehow the bend at the point with the boat club sticks in my head. Anyway at that T junction don't think anything has gone for an unexpected swim

pj

Postby pj » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:40 pm

Can we complain about moron passengers here also?

Rolls down window, drops out gum and wrapper, closes window. I really wanted to pick it up and stick it on their windscreen but I wasn't wearing gloves :P

Another $250 for the state budget.....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Police officers are allowed to hold their phone while driving but why can't they put it in a holder and switch voice activation on?

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... ba9fe1adc3

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:35 pm

pj wrote:Can we complain about moron passengers here also?

Rolls down window, drops out gum and wrapper, closes window. I really wanted to pick it up and stick it on their windscreen but I wasn't wearing gloves :P

Another $250 for the state budget.....

Can’t see the plates, but in Nsw at least there is a very easy online litterer reporting system on the epa website. I’ve used it a couple of times for lazy sods that flick their cig buts out the window.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:48 am

mikesbytes wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
I have lived in the area for 20 years & am not aware of even a single car ending up in the water <snip>
Me too and that goes for the entire bay. But somehow the bend at the point with the boat club sticks in my head. Anyway at that T junction don't think anything has gone for an unexpected swim
Lots of crashes at Rodd Point, mostly cars running wide or cutting the corner, at least prior to installing concrete barriers. Still don't recall any ending up in the bay however.