Moron Motorists #3

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:50 pm

Anyone using this site? http://dobadriver.com/
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Biffidus wrote:As a(n ex-)motorcyclist, a loud engine is a useful reminder of your presence to unobservant motorists. It's saved me a few times.
Shame there seems no data to support that anecdote*. "Loud pipe saves lives" appears to be an excuse for owners of certain American bikes to ignore a road rule. And yes, I was involved in those (endless) debates decades ago.

* or rather there wasn't when I stopped looking more than a decade or so ago. Or at least not when the rider behaviour didn't warrant sirens and lights. If you've found some contrary research I'd love to see it. Particularly as all my recent reading on pedestrian and cyclist visibility suggests the contrary.
I can add to that anecdote. In another life, as a M/C courier I had an LC350. I ripped the baffles out of it in a misguided attempt at extra speed. I can tell you that cars in the cbd heard me coming, and I could watch them part like the Red Sea along Kingsway overpass when I was approaching up the centre :lol: Maybe no data, but it worked for me.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:42 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Anyone using this site? http://dobadriver.com/
Do you have to wear nappies to use it? (I haven’t, but will have a look)

How many numbskulls are out there that can’t indicate properly at roundabouts. ITS NOT THAT HARD! In my book it’s a crime worse than not indicating.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Not dangerous, just inconsiderate morons today, sigh.

I did a few laps of a local course today, part of which is on a shared path. Near the start, I came across a line of cars parked along the shared path so it difficult for me to access the path next to a very short dead end road that degrades into gravel. So I just ride past slowly grumbling at the car owners milling around. The next time around, there are even more cars parked on the path and I'm more annoyed now as I generally turn onto the path at around 30 k but have to slow for the illegally parked cars on the path. This time, I just manage to squeeze past the last 4x4 which is occupied so gave it a solid slap on the rear fender just to make the point. I guess it's bad to touch someone's car but no damage and they can't follow me. The next time around the 4x4 has been moved to park correctly on the opposite side of the road. I guess one at least got the point and took it onboard.

Ken

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:32 pm

bychosis wrote:

How many numbskulls are out there that can’t indicate properly at roundabouts. ITS NOT THAT HARD! In my book it’s a crime worse than not indicating.
Yeh, a couple of days ago I was descending toward roundabout, slowing from 40 to 30 to do a right turn. It has been a while since I last did this rout, tried to indicate and found the road just too rough to control the bike one handed, so ended up just looking at my exit to indicate where I was headed. Well you gota assume all the drivers are blind so you gota be cautious as all heck anyway. Call me a numbskull if you like but control is more important than indicating. Also, seems to a lot of drivers think a right turn signal means you want them to overtake.......

Ken

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:24 am

kenwstr wrote: I guess it's bad to touch someone's car but no damage and they can't follow me.
my preference if they're not present is to lift their wipers. it's not aggressive but gets the point through. doesn't work if they're in the car of course :lol:

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:48 am

kenwstr wrote:
bychosis wrote:

Yeh, a couple of days ago I was descending toward roundabout, slowing from 40 to 30 to do a right turn. It has been a while since I last did this rout, tried to indicate and found the road just too rough to control the bike one handed, so ended up just looking at my exit to indicate where I was headed. Well you gota assume all the drivers are blind so you gota be cautious as all heck anyway. Call me a numbskull if you like but control is more important than indicating. Also, seems to a lot of drivers think a right turn signal means you want them to overtake.......

Ken
For what it is worth there is no requirement in the template Australian Road Rules (pdf) for vehicles without indicator lights (like bicycles) to indicate when on a roundabout, you are only meant to indicate on approach to the roundabout and only if you are going right. I haven't checked which states vary from the template rules on this point (I know WA does) but for states that do follow the template rules there is no expectation that a bicycle on a roundabout makes any indication while on or exiting the roundabout.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:54 am

jules21 wrote:
kenwstr wrote: I guess it's bad to touch someone's car but no damage and they can't follow me.
my preference if they're not present is to lift their wipers. it's not aggressive but gets the point through. doesn't work if they're in the car of course :lol:
My local council takes parking complaints on-line, including the ability to upload photos, and they seem to be fairly effective in following them up. So I photograph and submit. Ironically the last vehicle I did this for was for a council earthworks truck that they kept parking over the top of the nearest fire hydrant plug.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:36 pm

kenwstr wrote:

Ken
I had a similar problem at a local roundabout except there was a trough dug across the road which had been filled with bitumen but still caused a pit/reverse speed bump. There was no way to control the bike on entry and indicate at the same time. I reported it to my council as a hazard (explaining the issue on a bike) and it was repaired within a few days. Might be worth reporting to your council?

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Scott_C wrote:For what it is worth there is no requirement in the template Australian Road Rules (pdf) for vehicles without indicator lights (like bicycles) to indicate when on a roundabout, you are only meant to indicate on approach to the roundabout and only if you are going right. I haven't checked which states vary from the template rules on this point (I know WA does) but for states that do follow the template rules there is no expectation that a bicycle on a roundabout makes any indication while on or exiting the roundabout.
In Qld there is no requirement for a cyclist to indicate left when entering, changing lanes in or leaving a roundabout. There is a requirement to indicate right when taking other than the first exit, or when changing lanes in a roundabout.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:52 pm

jules21 wrote:
Well, this one time... In my defense it was dark, and after lifting the wipers of the car entirely blocking the shared path I realised there was someone sitting in the car! Wouldn't have done it if I'd realised...

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:20 pm

bychosis wrote:How many numbskulls are out there that can’t indicate properly at roundabouts. ITS NOT THAT HARD! In my book it’s a crime worse than not indicating.
Define properly?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:01 pm

hamishm wrote:
bychosis wrote:How many numbskulls are out there that can’t indicate properly at roundabouts. ITS NOT THAT HARD! In my book it’s a crime worse than not indicating.
Define properly?
When motorists indicate left or right, then continue through or turn contrary to their indicators. Have seen it a few times of late. Had the last example indicated properly I would have been able to continue through instead of stopping (saving fuel etc) because they were indicating right but driving straight through.

Its not hard. Indicate which way you want to turn before you get to the roundabout as if it is a cross road. Once on the roundabout indicate left to exit just after you pass the preceding exit.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:59 pm

Riding home today along St Georges Rd in Melb at the South end before the path starts.

The lights went green as I approached so instead of proceeding up onto the (shared) footpath, I decided to indicate right and merge out into the two lanes. No issues so far.

Taxi on my right goes past OK and there is a decent gap back to the next car so I indicate right, go through the next set of lights and indicate right again, as I will turn off shortly to join the bike path. The driver behind me seems to take issue with this, giving a short honk, followed by another. I look back, can't see an issue so keep going. Approaching the intersection I indicate right again and hear a long, loud honk. I decide that if the driver is warning me that frequently, I should slow right down an make especially certain that the tram tracks are clear before I join them and take my time to ensure it is clear before I cross.

For some reason, the driver didn't seem to appreciate my care and caution?

Oh well, I made it onto the bike path, keeping track of the car while I ride up the hill. I ended up making it to and through the intersection at the top of the hill before the car did at any rate.

Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/n2wwutem1ho
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

shouldnobetter

Postby shouldnobetter » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:14 pm

I took to the (empty) footpath for a little while on the way home today, for my safety and to aid traffic flow on a busy uphill stretch where I was going quite slow. A couple of minutes later a tradie yells at me: "Get off the footpath you idiot". No big deal but what got me is that the last time a tradie offered me advice, it was to get off the road. I wish they'd make up their mind.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:23 pm

I got beeped twice today for claiming the lane, didn't change my position on the road, don't know why they bother.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

pj

Postby pj » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:09 am

Somebody is not very good at reading the lights!

pj

Postby pj » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:16 am

Idiot overtaking a double parked car, directly into my path....

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:03 am

We had a rider down on Saturday. Not much is known except that he was trailing the bunch by some distance as they rode past a car that was pulled over to the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Then a few minutes later the bunch was pulled over by another car letting them know a rider had come off. When they went back he was unconscious. Ambulance was called. The driver of the car that was pulled over has passed the bunch some distance back and has apparently stopped to have a discussion with the group about the dangers of cycling. Other than that we don't know what transpired but the rider ended up with a brain injury, several broken ribs and fractured pelvis. As far as we know, the motorist was uninjured.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

PA

Postby PA » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:06 pm

silentC wrote:As far as we know, the motorist was uninjured but we are sending some boys around to remedy that situation.
Fixed :D
Mouse magnet

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:29 pm

shouldnobetter wrote:I took to the (empty) footpath for a little while on the way home today, for my safety and to aid traffic flow on a busy uphill stretch where I was going quite slow. A couple of minutes later a tradie yells at me: "Get off the footpath you idiot". No big deal but what got me is that the last time a tradie offered me advice, it was to get off the road. I wish they'd make up their mind.
They have collectively made up their minds. Their decision is simple: harass cyclists, and no excuses needed.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:00 pm

bychosis wrote:
hamishm wrote:
Define properly?
When motorists indicate left or right, then continue through or turn contrary to their indicators. Have seen it a few times of late. Had the last example indicated properly I would have been able to continue through instead of stopping (saving fuel etc) because they were indicating right but driving straight through.

Its not hard. Indicate which way you want to turn before you get to the roundabout as if it is a cross road. Once on the roundabout indicate left to exit just after you pass the preceding exit.
Hmm, Everybody makes mistakes. It's never a good idea to rely on signals so you can't go until you see their wheels turn anyway. There's just basic defence strategies that help avoid being an accident victim. Like anytime there is a change in conditions, an intersection, roundabout, lane merge etc, just match speed and alignment with a gap in the adjoining lane. Don't assume a green light means it's safe to go, look at what the traffic is doing. Don't assume your ROW will be respected, cooperate instead. You know, just basically stayin alive stuff......
Ken

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:03 pm

bychosis wrote:
hamishm wrote:
Define properly?

The law in this area of the road rules is an ass. Almost nobody observes it correctly, and it is very confusing. Single lane and multi-lane requirements differ. Most people don't indicate if driving straight through, and do if turning left or right or changing lanes. This is how it should be. But it's not what the law specifies.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:12 am

trailgumby wrote:
bychosis wrote:
hamishm wrote: Define properly?

The law in this area of the road rules is an ass. Almost nobody observes it correctly, and it is very confusing. Single lane and multi-lane requirements differ. Most people don't indicate if driving straight through, and do if turning left or right or changing lanes. This is how it should be. But it's not what the law specifies.
Actually, you could have just said "Most people don't indicate" and that would have been sufficient.

I'm not surprised most people don't correctly follow the roundabout related road rules: they don't make enough sense.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:27 am

I don’t as why it’s so hard. They’ve been around for decades. Indicate as if it were a crossroads when you approach, indicate left to exit. Approach in a lane that is marked for your direction. Give way to those already on the roundabout. Just goes to show the driver training we have in this country is woeful.