Moron Motorists #3

human909

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:08 am

familyguy wrote:Because a LOT of people have no freaking clue where the drivers side of the car is, let alone the FAR side of their car when they're in it!
Huh? :?: It is easier to judge where the drivers side of the car is. If you are arguing that drivers can't tell where either side of their car is then that is an argument against ANY form of on road infrastructure.
familyguy wrote: This, coupled with the fact that a vast number of people appear to feel the need to swing right before they turn left means it's only a matter of time for the pictured example above to end badly...
I'm confused. You just seem to be arguing that some drivers drive badly. Yes that is true. But the alternative choice of having the bicycle lane on the left of a left turn lane is far worse for all the reasons you have already mentioned.
antigee wrote:cycle lanes that position cyclists to avoid left hooks make plenty of sense to me - the problem is n't the cycling facility its the design element that allows and encourages relatively high speed driving through junctions added to speed limits that are too high and driven to as a -0/+5 target
Quite true. Lower speed limits on any road with on road cycling infrastructure is the ideal scenario and in line with good practice overseas.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:13 am

human909 wrote:
familyguy wrote:Because a LOT of people have no freaking clue where the drivers side of the car is, let alone the FAR side of their car when they're in it!
Huh? :?: It is easier to judge where the drivers side of the car is. If you are arguing that drivers can't tell where either side of their car is then that is an argument against ANY form of on road infrastructure.
I know, you should be able to tell, right? It amazes me how many people seemingly cannot do this. There are a lot of idiots out there, separated is the way to go. This paint between vehicles is a disaster in waiting.
human909 wrote:
familyguy wrote: This, coupled with the fact that a vast number of people appear to feel the need to swing right before they turn left means it's only a matter of time for the pictured example above to end badly...
I'm confused. You just seem to be arguing that some drivers drive badly. Yes that is true. But the alternative choice of having the bicycle lane on the left of a left turn lane is far worse for all the reasons you have already mentioned.
The ideal choice is simple: don't f***ing squeeze a bike lane between two narrowed vehicular lanes. Do it right or forcefully educate everyone that they're gonna have to deal with bikes on the roads!

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:26 am

familyguy wrote:The ideal choice is simple: don't f***ing squeeze a bike lane between two narrowed vehicular lanes.
Sorry which two narrowed vehicle lanes? In the picture being discussed the cycle lane and both lanes either side seem to be of more than adequate width.
familyguy wrote:Do it right or forcefully educate everyone that they're gonna have to deal with bikes on the roads!
I would argue that having a bicycle lane to the right of a left turn only lane IS doing it right.

It seems to me you are arguing that bikes should only be on the left side of the road. Quite a bizarre stance in my opinion.
Last edited by human909 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 am

antigee wrote:that's a typical Aus' left turn - swing right first
You swing right first in order to take the corner without hitting the brakes. Your arc will take you through the apogee of the bike lane, and you accelerate on leaving the curve. Advanced drivers throw a can out of the window at that point.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:28 am

Left turn lane is narrower than straight through lane. It is sh*t infra.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:30 am

familyguy wrote:Left turn lane is narrower than straight through lane. It is sh*t infra.
Are we looking at the same picture?

I haven't go my calibrated micrometer out but the left lane doesn't seem narrower. It is more than adequate it seems a decent 3m.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:31 am

human909 wrote:
familyguy wrote:The ideal choice is simple: don't f***ing squeeze a bike lane between two narrowed vehicular lanes.
Sorry which two narrowed vehicle lanes? In the picture being discussed the cycle lane and both lanes either side seem to be of more than adequate width.
familyguy wrote:Do it right or forcefully educate everyone that they're gonna have to deal with bikes on the roads!
I would argue that having a bicycle lane to the right of a left turn only lane IS doing it right.

It seems to me you are arguing that bikes should only be on the left side of the road. Quite a bizarre stance in my opinion.
I'll spell it out like this: that situation does not need a 'bike lane', rider should be using the vehicular lane adjacent, and the fact (and right to do so) that they are should be rammed home and enforced.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 am

familyguy wrote:I'll spell it out like this: that situation does not need a 'bike lane', rider should be using the vehicular lane adjacent,
A large proportion of riders are not at all comfortable with this. They would much rather a bike lane than to be riding in primary position in a lane. Most people don't even know what that means!

Having bike lane continuity is something that is recognised to be quite important to making people comfortable to ride bicycles on the road. Especially on higher speed roads like the one pictured (presumably). Yet here you are advocating removing that continuity.

Are we building cycling infrastructure for the 1% or the 99%? I'd argue that if we want safer roads we want to be building infrastructure suitable for the 99%. I am confident that most if not all of my female cycling friends ('indicator species') would be far more comfortable on the infrastructure as shown that a disappearing bike lane forcing cyclist to take the lane.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:56 am

Clearly there are differences of opinion on what constitutes appropriate, safe and suitable cycling infrastructure. I don't think me arguing things further is going to get us anywhere.

Two last points:
-Terrible and dangerous cycling infrastructure is worse than no infrastructure at all. I think most of us can agree with that.
-It is important to remember that as cycling enthusiasts are skills and confidence are greater than most. So what we find as unsuitable infrastructure isn't always unsuitable to others.

If you want more laughs:
http://wcc.crankfoot.xyz/facility-of-th ... ly2018.htm

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Fundamentally, not disagreeing.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Ross wrote:Video: Motorists force their way onto roads closed for RideLondon

https://road.cc/content/news/246151-vid ... ridelondon
Last weekend’s RideLondon route went past Kristian Sturt’s house. At about 6.15pm on the day of the ride, he heard swearing, shouting and beeping outside. Despite the road being closed, motorists decided they’d had enough of waiting and went through the barricade, arguing with the young marshal who tried to stop them.
Well next year I guess that they will close the road with more than just cones. Park a couple of trucks across the road, or police cars. That won't stop the motorists from whinging but it might help prevent the volunteer marshalls from being yelled at.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Put these on each side of the bike lane and the cyclist can feel safe in the middle

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:26 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Put these on each side of the bike lane and the cyclist can feel safe in the middle

+1000000000000
Green paint protects nobody

Az0r_au

Postby Az0r_au » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:51 pm

human909 wrote: If you want more laughs:
These are fantastic

PA

Postby PA » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:45 am

Az0r_au wrote:
human909 wrote: If you want more laughs:
These are fantastic
What a stupid idea. Imagine you are riding in the lane when all of a sudden an iPod Zombie turns right to walk across the crossing. Now you task, if you choose to accept is to brake whilst crossing a diagonal painted line without dumping yourself on the road to be run over by the Double Decker bus following you.
Mouse magnet

Az0r_au

Postby Az0r_au » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:21 am

This one from NSW was my favourite I found

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:04 am

Meanwhile, back in the Rocket.....

Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:05 pm

Az0r_au wrote:Image

I think this photo was taken by someone on this forum
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Thoglette

Sydney cyclist appeals for information after alleged hit-and-run

Postby Thoglette » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:06 pm

White van idiot backs into group
ABC news wrote:A Sydney cyclist is appealing for information after he was struck by a van in an alleged hit-and-run on Friday morning.

Eddie Vining was training with a group of triathletes in Centennial Parklands around 7:00am, when a white van reversed out of a parking space and into a small number of cyclists.

The van hit Mr Vining, leaving with him a broken collarbone, ruptured ligaments and a deep cut on his forehead, before driving off.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

biker jk

Re: Sydney cyclist appeals for information after alleged hit-and-run

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:41 pm

Thoglette wrote:White van idiot backs into group
ABC news wrote:A Sydney cyclist is appealing for information after he was struck by a van in an alleged hit-and-run on Friday morning.

Eddie Vining was training with a group of triathletes in Centennial Parklands around 7:00am, when a white van reversed out of a parking space and into a small number of cyclists.

The van hit Mr Vining, leaving with him a broken collarbone, ruptured ligaments and a deep cut on his forehead, before driving off.
I saw an ambulance entering CP around 7.10am on Friday and suspected there was a cyclist down but it appears the rider had been picked up before I saw them. So any video from my rear camera won't capture anything, unfortunately.

Laidlaym

Postby Laidlaym » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Howzat wrote:
antigee wrote:that's a typical Aus' left turn - swing right first
You swing right first in order to take the corner without hitting the brakes. Your arc will take you through the apogee of the bike lane, and you accelerate on leaving the curve. Advanced drivers throw a can out of the window at that point.
The technique was called a "Scandinavian Flick" in rallying, abbreviated to "scando". But that was more about unbalancing the car to get the rear wheels to lose traction which made it easier to get the back of the car around a tight corner, probably with the assistance of a hydraulic handbrake on the rear wheels.

Mark in Research

Cyclophiliac

Re: Sydney cyclist appeals for information after alleged hit-and-run

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Thoglette wrote:White van idiot backs into group

The white van has yet to be identified
So it appears it was the car at fault again, and not its driver. :roll:

PA

Postby PA » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:16 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Az0r_au wrote:Image

I think this photo was taken by someone on this forum
I may have edited it a little.
Mouse magnet

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 am

There was a similar setup in my area for a while, Benowa SEQ. I was very tempted to do the second photo movement.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:39 am

recumbenteer wrote:Meanwhile, back in the Rocket.....
Jesus, I am impressed you didn't respond with a volley of choice epithets.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket