Moron Motorists #3

pj

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby pj » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:01 pm

About 30 seconds before the previous incident I encountered this impatient taxi driver...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:44 pm

mikesbytes wrote:"Strike Force Puma officers"

Haven't come upon this before, read the following article, it sounds like who to submit videos to

https://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/ ... iral/?cs=7
So they can book someone from a user submitted video... if they want to. :roll:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:15 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
kenwstr wrote:
trailgumby wrote: Not much choice if you want to get off a two-lane roundabout and you're in the right hand lane on entry.
While England has some horror roundabouts, they do have a system there that really impressed me as the easiest and safest I've seen. I think we should adopt it here too. The roundabout lanes all spiral out from the centre and the left most lane is the off ramp to the 1st exit road so the 2nd left lane is now the most left most lane and is the off ramp to the next exit road and so on.
This means that on entering, the left lane will take you to the 1st exit, 2nd from left will take you to the 2nd exit, 3rd from left will take you to the 3rd exit and so on. If there are 3 lanes entering and you want the 4th exit, you simply enter the 3rd lane and when the 4th opens from the centre, you simply drive into this new empty 4th lane to the 4th exit from where you entered, too easy. Each lane simply all takes you where you want to go and never any need to change lanes. Of course, this can be modified with multi lane exits to cater for different traffic volumes on the different exits with appropriate signage to get you into the correct entering lane.

It sure as heck beats those stupid Canberra roundabouts that also have traffic lights. The whole point of a roundabout is you don't need lights. Whatamess!

Ken
That's really interesting Ken, is there a diagram you can post?
I have searched for images a few times and not found any that exactly match my memory. Most results seem to be the horror ones in the cities, but the type I have in mind were only on the freeways away from urban areas. I was only there for a month so it's entirely possible that the reality may differ from my impression of them. I do recall it was essential to get in the correct lane well before the roundabouts and the signage wasn't alway adequate and the GPS saved us many times.

Ken

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Had a way too close pass into oncoming traffic from a L platers yesterday. Another generation of bogan driver being trained by bogan Dad!

Ken

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:25 pm

kenwstr wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
kenwstr wrote:
While England has some horror roundabouts, they do have a system there that really impressed me as the easiest and safest I've seen. I think we should adopt it here too. The roundabout lanes all spiral out from the centre and the left most lane is the off ramp to the 1st exit road so the 2nd left lane is now the most left most lane and is the off ramp to the next exit road and so on.
This means that on entering, the left lane will take you to the 1st exit, 2nd from left will take you to the 2nd exit, 3rd from left will take you to the 3rd exit and so on. If there are 3 lanes entering and you want the 4th exit, you simply enter the 3rd lane and when the 4th opens from the centre, you simply drive into this new empty 4th lane to the 4th exit from where you entered, too easy. Each lane simply all takes you where you want to go and never any need to change lanes. Of course, this can be modified with multi lane exits to cater for different traffic volumes on the different exits with appropriate signage to get you into the correct entering lane.

It sure as heck beats those stupid Canberra roundabouts that also have traffic lights. The whole point of a roundabout is you don't need lights. Whatamess!

Ken
That's really interesting Ken, is there a diagram you can post?
I have searched for images a few times and not found any that exactly match my memory. Most results seem to be the horror ones in the cities, but the type I have in mind were only on the freeways away from urban areas. I was only there for a month so it's entirely possible that the reality may differ from my impression of them. I do recall it was essential to get in the correct lane well before the roundabouts and the signage wasn't alway adequate and the GPS saved us many times.

Ken
What about the location, perhaps we can get from google images or whatever
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:03 am

silentC wrote:We had a rider down on Saturday. Not much is known except that he was trailing the bunch by some distance as they rode past a car that was pulled over to the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Then a few minutes later the bunch was pulled over by another car letting them know a rider had come off. When they went back he was unconscious. Ambulance was called. The driver of the car that was pulled over has passed the bunch some distance back and has apparently stopped to have a discussion with the group about the dangers of cycling. Other than that we don't know what transpired but the rider ended up with a brain injury, several broken ribs and fractured pelvis. As far as we know, the motorist was uninjured.
Sadly this rider has since passed away. I understand there is an ongoing police investigation into the circumstances.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 am

silentC wrote:
silentC wrote:We had a rider down on Saturday. Not much is known except that he was trailing the bunch by some distance as they rode past a car that was pulled over to the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Then a few minutes later the bunch was pulled over by another car letting them know a rider had come off. When they went back he was unconscious. Ambulance was called. The driver of the car that was pulled over has passed the bunch some distance back and has apparently stopped to have a discussion with the group about the dangers of cycling. Other than that we don't know what transpired but the rider ended up with a brain injury, several broken ribs and fractured pelvis. As far as we know, the motorist was uninjured.
Sadly this rider has since passed away. I understand there is an ongoing police investigation into the circumstances.
:( :( Not good at all Silent.
We are safer in a group
Dogs are the best people :wink:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:14 am

Was this reported in ANY news media at all? I can't find anything on it. Sounds like someone might be up for some serious charges.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:22 am

It was reported in the local media as 'cyclist crashes his bicycle and is airlifted to hospital'. No mention of the motorist.

https://www.merimbulanewsweekly.com.au/ ... y/?cs=5773

Only two people know what really happened and one of them is no longer with us. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:19 pm

have they identified the car or driver?

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Yeah the driver was still at the scene.
- Me

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:43 pm

No doubt stifling assisting police with their enquiries...

uart

Postby uart » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 pm

silentC wrote:Yeah the driver was still at the scene.
Which car was that silentC. Was it the one that was pulled over on the side of the road, or the one that alerted you to the rider down?

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:51 pm

The one that was pulled over. I wasn't there by the way, but the group are people I ride with regularly. Obviously I have heard stories but being careful now because of the way it has turned out.

Probably shouldn't have posted I guess because at the time it was a 'look at what this stupid motorist has caused by getting out of their card to have a go' and now it's waaay more serious and upsetting...
- Me

uart

Postby uart » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:25 pm

silentC wrote:The one that was pulled over. I wasn't there by the way, but the group are people I ride with regularly. Obviously I have heard stories but being careful now because of the way it has turned out.

Probably shouldn't have posted I guess because at the time it was a 'look at what this stupid motorist has caused by getting out of their card to have a go' and now it's waaay more serious and upsetting...
Ok I understand. Yes it sounded a bit suspect so I was wondering about his possible involvement.

With no witnesses then I'll bet that he gets away with it. :( Remember the case of poor Richard Pollett in Brisbane, where inexplicably the defense successfully argued that he just fell off his bike and right under the rear wheels of the cement truck. You know, just a really unlucky time for him to fall off and nothing at all to do with the cement truck that was just coincidentally sideswiping him at the time. :?

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:53 pm

kenwstr wrote:

Ken
There's only the one roundabout in Canberra with traffic lights AFAIK and it actually works surprisingly well. The problem with the roundabout before the traffic lights went in was trucks would enter the roundabout too fast and roll over. Has happened several times over the years.

Also, in peak hour without the lights there were often delays at getting through the roundabout as there was a constant stream of traffic flowing through meaning traffic from other directions couldn't get through until a gap formed - some people misjudged the gap/their ability to drive and had collisions.

It is also safer now to cycle through.

stevebni

Postby stevebni » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:55 pm

You want English roundabouts? I'll give you English roundabouts...

That is real, it's the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon. It's five mini-roundabouts that wrap around one big one. For any given route there are multiple ways around it. It is actually really easy to get around and works really well. I haven't used it for thirty odd years, so things might have changed in recent times.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:34 pm

stevebni wrote:You want English roundabouts? I'll give you English roundabouts...

WTH, I could spend a whole afternoon lost in that one. It looks like it could have been modeled after a pinball machine or something!

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:47 pm

silentC wrote: The driver of the car that was pulled over has passed the bunch some distance back and has apparently stopped to have a discussion with the group about the dangers of cycling.
silentC wrote:The one that was pulled over. I wasn't there by the way, but the group are people I ride with regularly. Obviously I have heard stories but being careful now because of the way it has turned out.

You should encourage your friends - the ones who were there when the driver was arguing with them - to go to the police and make a statement about their encounter with the driver. And they should each do it individually.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 pm

uart wrote:
stevebni wrote:You want English roundabouts? I'll give you English roundabouts...

WTH, I could spend a whole afternoon lost in that one. It looks like it could have been modeled after a pinball machine or something!
Now I look a bit closer the big section is going the 'wrong' way, anticlockwise, while all the little ones are going clockwise. Can't see ANY Aussie drivers coping with that (yes, I include myself)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:10 pm

bychosis wrote:
uart wrote:
Now I look a bit closer the big section is going the 'wrong' way, anticlockwise, while all the little ones are going clockwise. Can't see ANY Aussie drivers coping with that (yes, I include myself)
So I would interpret that as 5 small roundabouts, with a length of median strip in between each one. And I would say that thing in the middle isn't a a roundabout at all, it's just a traffic island.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:45 pm

[quote="stevebni"]That is real, it's the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon. It's five mini-roundabouts that wrap around one big one. /quote]

There used to be is one on the south side of Heathrow airport (at Hatton Cross). Challenging when you've not seen one before! :shock: :shock: :shock: (Wikipedia lists about six in all)

Back on topic, I got "the squeeze" this morning from Mr-Salesman-running-late entering a conventional roundabout. He completely ballsed it up, misjudging both distance and speed (and yes, he was speeding on the way in). Then I got a pass-and-pull-into-the-driveway from Dr-Also-Running-Late a few minutes later. :evil:

That's what I get for riding to the office just before nine am, I guess. :shock:
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

stevebni

Postby stevebni » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:38 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
bychosis wrote:
uart wrote:
So I would interpret that as 5 small roundabouts, with a length of median strip in between each one. And I would say that thing in the middle isn't a a roundabout at all, it's just a traffic island.
Yes, I would say that's a better description.

Uart, it's reallt quite easy, I did it on my driving test in the 80's. You just keep giving way to the right and move around the big one (anti-clockwork as said above) and bingo, you're thru it.

As for driving in Aus, I found it super easy in the Melbourne surbs, nice big roads, good signage and no pot holes. Down around the Mornington Peninsula (which I love BTW) was much the same... But, the drivers are nuts to bikes. We have it bad, you have it worse. I had a guy cut right across me, forcing me to stop, he then got out and started shouting at me to use the cycle lane and was heading towards me squaring up. He was oblivious to me it was full of parked cars! Thankfully I'm a big guy (six foot four and 240lbs) so once he realised that he was on his way sharpish. Which is good, cus although I'm big, I'm a total whimp ;-)

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:17 pm

That is real, it's the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon. It's five mini-roundabouts that wrap around one big one. For any given route there are multiple ways around it. It is actually really easy to get around and works really well. I haven't used it for thirty odd years, so things might have changed in recent times.
Please go back, read and understand the context.

Ken

stevebni

Postby stevebni » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:43 am

kenwstr wrote:

Please go back, read and understand the context.

Ken
??