2013 Black Cats Award

Ozkaban

Re: 2013 Black Cats Award

Postby Ozkaban » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:06 pm

twizzle wrote: Then when inflating from CO2, the flipping valve unscrewed itself (second time with the Vittoria tubes), dumped all the CO2 and scared the heck out of the people near us at the cafe. :oops:
I unscrewed an "empty" co2 cylinder from the inflator head in the loungeroom once. They're not empty, merely equalised with the tyre. Very effective for scaring people :shock:

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
twizzle wrote: Then when inflating from CO2, the flipping valve unscrewed itself (second time with the Vittoria tubes), dumped all the CO2 and scared the heck out of the people near us at the cafe. :oops:
I unscrewed an "empty" co2 cylinder from the inflator head in the loungeroom once. They're not empty, merely equalised with the tyre. Very effective for scaring people :shock:
Done it as well. Have the hole in the wall as well

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 am

Just thought I'd post an update now that my sacrifices to the puncture fairy have gone rewarded and someone else has taken leadership of the challenge (thanks Twizzle :roll: )

8 twizzle
6 Ozkaban, jcjordan
5 Warnesy
4 g-boaf
3 Big_Red
2 birdbrain, Shred931, JohnJoyner, dungee, jasonc
1 __PG__, breezer1, clydesmcdale, familyguy, gururug, lachlanfry, Lukeyboy, Timeonabike, wombatK, Dan
0 Cruiserman, lump_a_charcoal, Mulger Bill, pacra, rangersac, Mustang, martinjs, Sparx, cerb, vander, RonK

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 am

NNNNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not again!

:oops: :evil:

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:12 pm

twizzle wrote:NNNNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not again!

Shhhhhh, or the puncture fairy will hear your cries and visit again... :lol:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Big_Red wrote:
twizzle wrote:NNNNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not again!

Shhhhhh, or the puncture fairy will hear your cries and visit again... :lol:
Nope, the evil cow had a chat to the failed appliance fairy. Killed the microwave yesterday with a burnt out magnetron, bought a new microwave today... died on first use, cooling fan not running and probably killed the magnetron. Also yesterday, one of the PC's started making noise, tracked it to the PSU with a bulged capacitor so I fitted an old spare and today the computer died big-time - the new PSU dropped out and was power-cycling the drives - corrupted file system and one of the raid disks is now offline. And major IT problems at work today. Please, please, let that be the end of it!

Sent from my iThingy...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:16 pm

#*&#!!!! :evil:

That was what I could be heard yelling in absolute pure anger when I got another puncture. Almost brand new Bontrager R3 tyre too. :evil: I'd just covered a particular distance at quite a good speed and was feeling really good. Cut my ride short. I'd planned for 50km, only managed slightly less than half.

Running total: 6 Very, very cross. :roll:
twizzle wrote:Nope, the evil cow had a chat to the failed appliance fairy.
Cripes - that's pretty bad! :shock:
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 pm

I'm sitting at 1, went for a ride tonight took a bit of a break to sit down at the beach and enjoy the sunset as I was about to leave I noticed the tyre looked a little soft no puncture just needed a little air got my little pump off and as I was trying to pump up the tyre I managed to lose my balance, while trying to not fall over while also trying to not let my bike fall over I managed to tear the rubber at the base of the valve some how.

It was a rather long walk home... needless to say tomorrow ill go to my LBS get a saddle bag a replacement tyre and a spare :)

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 am

+2=8

Went mtbing with some friends. I was running late, then got a puncture on the rear 1km in just to make it worse. Got back and the rear was flat again with a puncture in a different spot. Woohoo. Go me. Happy happy :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:48 pm

+1 - got as far as 1km away from my home. I walked back. :evil: I don't need to explain what I want to do to the little buggers who smash this glass everywhere. If I ever catch them... Then I'll deal with the legal consequences of my actions. :evil:

Running total: 7 :roll:

Can we please lobby for a ban on glass bottles? The little angels wouldn't dare smash the household glassware, for fear of upsetting their mums.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Made it all the way till March without a flat now I've had 3

Running total = 3

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Add another one for me, familiar sounds of disappearing air from tyre. Running total now 6...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:57 pm

God almighty, this is ridiculous. Another cut tyre - by a tiny shard of glass. Fortunately I caught it before it went through and caused a puncture.

Now using an inner layer inside the tyre which might add a bit of extra puncture resistance (and a lovely new GP4000s front tyre). Didn't seem to cause any slowness on my run down to Prestons. I was in a bit of a hurry to get lunch. :lol:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Puncture Fairy has been playing havoc with me over Easter...

Firstly, a slow leak in garage on front tyre 12 March. Tyre was Maxxis Detonator, second
for the tyres which had about 2000km on it (other puncture on same bike was rear tyre).

Running total: 2

Averaging one puncture per 1000km for the pair of tyres. Not brilliant, but not yet time
to replace I figured.... wrongly :(

Saturday 30th, this explosive fail to the rear tyre (Maxxis Detonator), just west of the
Belmore Rd exit on the M5 shoulder (citybound).

Only sign of cause was a sliver of glass - but there was really very little debris in the
area where the puncture occurred. Wasn't prepared to try a boot on a sidewall cut that
long - easily the worst puncture I've had, so it was a call to GLW.

Running total: 3

Decided to bin the Maxxis Detonator's at this stage, and changed to brand new Conti GP4000s.
front and back. Had ridden just 34 km on them on Sunday, when the the front tyre exploded
as I was braking before a turn on a very clean back-road (John St, Bardwell Valley).

Only had a CO2 pump, and a visual inspection didn't show the inner tube had split for about
5mm along a seam; couldn't see any damage or evidence of penetration on the tyre, and
thought maybe it could have been a tiny pinch flat I couldnt see.

So I put the spare tube in, checked scrupulously that there were no pinch points, inflated,
checked all round for correct bedding, bounced it on the pavement etc. All looked good.

As I mounted the wheel back in the fork, the tube exploded. With the tyre deflated, I couldn't
see where the problem was and started suspecting a spoke issue. However, when I got
the tyre off the rim at home, the source was clear...
The tyre appears to have split just above the bead, maybe 1 or 2mm above rim edge. The inner tube
was ruptured outwards with an asterisk-like pattern.
I had checked brake pad alignment when first mounting the tyre, so it looks like a manufacturing fault to me
with the inner tube blowing out through the sidewall.

But if anyone's got another explanation, I'd love to hear it.

On the upside, got through a 35 km ride today with a new GP4000s and no drama; but carried another
spare tyre and a hand pump - just in case. Being April 1st, had to ring the GLW and tell her I
needed another lift. :D

Running total: 5

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Looks like I've got some front wheel damage somewhere with all of the punctures and general riding. Little bit of carbon at the face of the rim has appeared to split. But it is only on the surface, no deeper.

I'm putting alloy wheels back on. I didn't ride today because I was tired - the wheel damage was an unwanted surprise. I'm sure it is probably an easy fix but I can't be bothered to get it sorted at the moment.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:22 am

First puncture on my front tire in a while. Almost new set of Michelin Pro Optima. Probably about 200 km on them. Not too thrilled about it, although perhaps I should share some of the blame by not pumping up my tires before the ride.

Normally I ride at 100 psi but these are big tires (25c) on a 23 mm rim so I was trying to get the most out of them in terms of ride quality by trying slightly lower pressures. Will go back to inflating to 100 psi before every ride.

That's two for me.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:07 pm

+ 1, running total = 4

Rear blow out at 55kph in the twisties at Penrith lakes on the final lap, less than 1k from the finish. Managed to hold it together and not crash or take another rider out

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 pm

mikesbytes wrote: Managed to hold it together and not crash or take another rider out
Did good there, but you'll have to find more puncture fairies to
challenge twizzle. A quarter of the year gone, and you're nowhere near
the leaders. Luck or have you found something you should be sharing with
us ?

Cheers

WombatK

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:39 pm

+2

First one on the flatbar pannier bike riding home for the long weekend, fairy pube
Second on the commuter bike, office type tack through the rear

Off the mark for the year!

start total = 0 +2
3180 kms (4934kms since last flat)

1x hybrid (1/0 unbranded)
0x racer (0/0 conti gp4000s)
0x commuter (0/1 conti gp4000s)
0x fixie (0/0 conti gp4000s)

New total = 2 (AT) 1590kms per flat
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Well thats 7 for me. To add insult to injury managed to forget my pump.

Had to ride to work on a slowly defeating tire. 12km standing and leaning on the bars.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Strawburger wrote:flatbar
This is disappointing, I hope you weren't wearing club uniform :?: :shock: :cry:
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
This is disappointing, I hope you weren't wearing club uniform :?: :shock: :cry:
Hehehe Never wear club kit on this bike! It does look odd having lycra on when riding it though.

I've loaned out the drop bar that has the rack so until it comes back I'm stuck with it!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Strawburger wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
Hehehe Never wear club kit on this bike! It does look odd having lycra on when riding it though.

I've loaned out the drop bar that has the rack so until it comes back I'm stuck with it!
When I had a broken collarbone, I borrowed Lacy's flat bar (he never uses it) and rode it with one arm
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:04 pm

__PG__ wrote:First puncture on my front tire in a while. Almost new set of Michelin Pro Optima. Probably about 200 km on them. Not too thrilled about it, although perhaps I should share some of the blame by not pumping up my tires before the ride.

Normally I ride at 100 psi but these are big tires (25c) on a 23 mm rim so I was trying to get the most out of them in terms of ride quality by trying slightly lower pressures. Will go back to inflating to 100 psi before every ride.

That's two for me.
The cut in this tire gave me a very slow puncture which I didn't notice until the next morning after a long ride. I might try a tire boot on it and see if that helps before I bin it.

So thats three for me now.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 am

__PG__ wrote:[
The cut in this tire gave me a very slow puncture which I didn't notice until the next morning after a long ride. I might try a tire boot on it and see if that helps before I bin it.
Tire boot on front tyre :shock: Is it really worth the risk ? Maybe if it punctured a long way from home, it might
be worth a try - and riding at a slow limp-home speed. But once home safe, I'd bin it.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia