What did you do with your bike(s) today?

caneye

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby caneye » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 am

converted my commuter cx bike to 1x.
ChainReaction refunded my order of short chainring bolts because apparently they were out of stock (despite listing them as available on their website?).
luckily i had some after-market bolts to play with otherwise i would be stuck.
swopped cassette to an SLX 11-36T.
replaced the chain.

[then found out i had a flat tyre. ack ...]

anyway, rode in this morning and after 16kms, no dramas. wonder why i didn't do this earlier ..

oh .. left my front derailleur on .. just in case i change my mind!?

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am

After struggling to get my chain to run smoothly on the cassette on my alloy Aldi bike (converted to 10 speed), lashed out and bought a RD alignment tool.
Was way out, a bit of bending and now the chain runs very nicely.

Then did my Carbon Cannondale as well, though it may have been knocked around in my crash. Just slightly out.

simlin

Postby simlin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:54 pm

The noisy creaking coming from my bike finally drove me mad enough that I had to action my noise eradication protocol. Step one...remove and regrease seat post...and presto running as silent as a mouse again...it is amazing how many creaks, no matter where my ears think they are coming from can be fixed by simply regreasing the seat post.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:04 am

Took off the 11-32 cassette and SRAM Red Wi-Fli RD and replaced them with a normal SRAM Red E-Tap RD and SRAM XG-1190 11-25 cassette.

I'll put the other cassette and RD back on again if I'm going overseas. This is the first time I've used one of those SRAM cassettes. It seems to be working well.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:13 am

Do any of you find yourself finishing cleaning of your bike on the weekend, and then wish it was Monday so you could ride it on the commute? I get like that sometimes.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:43 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:Do any of you find yourself finishing cleaning of your bike on the weekend, and then wish it was Monday so you could ride it on the commute? I get like that sometimes.
No, I ride the bike all days of the week.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:Do any of you find yourself finishing cleaning of your bike on the weekend, and then wish it was Monday so you could ride it on the commute? I get like that sometimes.
I agree - I usually end up cleaning and servicing my bikes when I’ve had a few days away from riding. It’s usually late arvo when I finish and my first thought is always “I wanna go for a ride !” :lol:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:37 pm

Yesterday I turned my son's bike from a road bike, into a track bike and then finally a single speed.

The bike is a Track/SS bike with a flip/flop rear hub. I've detailed the track/road conversion in another thread but basically the rear wheel has a fixed cog on one side and a 6spd cluster on the other, the brakes and derailleurs all have full cable housings so once they are attached the cables are held in place with cable ties. The chain has two joining links to remove the necessary amount of chain to suit single gear mode. The bike now has three sets of bars. Road bars and flat bars both with brakes attached and track bars. It is only the work of a few minutes to convert from one mode to another, but to and from road mode is the hardest. In SS mode the bike has two choices of gear a 40-14 which is the same as his race gear, or a 33-22 to get up the hills on the way to the track.

I also replaced a broken spoke nipple and re-trued the wheel on my commuter bike.

Cheers,

Cameron

KristianJ

Postby KristianJ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Unfortunately the chain on my Merida did not see out my 300km target for this year's Great Cycle Challenge. I'd noted a troublesome link in the ride where it broke, and fortunately it gave way as I ended, and not somewhere in the middle.

New HG53, as well as new HG400 cassette and some other little odds and ends that were attended to, and I had the time to get the target ticked off.

I also did some GoPro filming...nothing too dramatic - just a few mins of footage on and around the Nepean River walk/cycleway and the new pedestrian bridge that opened last weekend.
On the sealed stuff: Orbea Vento
On the loose stuff: Merida MATTS TFS-300D

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:34 am

Took my newly acquired beater bike for a gentle spin around the neighbourhood with my young son to play some Pokemon Go. It's the first ride I've done since being hit by a car 6-7 weeks ago. The leg felt okay, but the lingering chest cold combined with no exercise for that length of time gave me a reality check on my breathing!

Still, a lovely morning to go for a gentle ride.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Mububban wrote:Took my newly acquired beater bike for a gentle spin around the neighbourhood with my young son to play some Pokemon Go. It's the first ride I've done since being hit by a car 6-7 weeks ago. The leg felt okay, but the lingering chest cold combined with no exercise for that length of time gave me a reality check on my breathing!

Still, a lovely morning to go for a gentle ride.
Glad to hear you're on the road to recovering Mubz.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:04 am

Broke my crank. Too much power. :D

Installed a spare Centaur crank I had lying around that I bought for the rings. Also had a spare Campy 42T ring. Stoked.

Finishing up I managed to jam my finger between the chain and chainring. Ouch, that hurt.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Picked her up from her first ever super-intergalactic-supreme-platinum service. It was just like the day we met, I came over a bit lightheaded
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:39 pm

P!N20 wrote:Broke my crank. Too much power. :D

Finishing up I managed to jam my finger between the chain and chainring. Ouch, that hurt.
Bet that scared the bejesus out of you, if riding at the time.

Can sympathise with the finger as i cut the end 1cm clean of my pointer finger as a young fella. I was getting my track bike ready for a race with the pedals off spinning the crank with my finger then next thing blood spitting everywhere. Mum turned to the hospital some time after we arrived holding up the 1cm end she found in a sherry glass :lol:.....it was mince meat unfortunatly.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:54 pm

NASHIE wrote:Bet that scared the bejesus out of you, if riding at the time.
You’re not wrong. Took off from the lights then decided to overtake some other cyclists - then BANG! Nothing under my right foot.

The break suggests there has been a crack developing for some time, just reached a critical mass on that day. I have broken a crank before, but I could feel that one twisting before it broke.

I have read about losing fingers on fixed gear drivetrains, but this was the first time I’ve gone close - mistakes always happen when it’s late and I’m tired.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:26 am

Lizzy wrote:Picked her up from her first ever super-intergalactic-supreme-platinum service. It was just like the day we met, I came over a bit lightheaded
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:15 pm

NASHIE wrote:

Bet that scared the bejesus out of you, if riding at the time.

Can sympathise with the finger as i cut the end 1cm clean of my pointer finger as a young fella. I was getting my track bike ready for a race with the pedals off spinning the crank with my finger then next thing blood spitting everywhere. Mum turned to the hospital some time after we arrived holding up the 1cm end she found in a sherry glass :lol:.....it was mince meat unfortunatly.
I did it with my thumb cleaning the chain. On my m/c, two weeks before HSC exams. Writing hand :lol: it hurt a lot

Mavic_schnitzel

Postby Mavic_schnitzel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:19 am

Installed a spare Centaur crank I had lying around that I bought for the rings. Also had a spare Campy 42T ring. Stoked.

Got a similar case of too much power here too :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:35 am

Yesterday I backtracked on upgrading my sons bike because I needed the donor bike running. Reinstalled rear derailleur and chain, then repaired a puncture and prepped 5 bikes for an MTB ride with visiting relatives. Total of 4 adults and 6 kids between 6 and 13 hit the trails of Ourimbah MTB park and had a absolute ball. Can’t wait to do it again. The smallest of the Goryo were most inspiring getting stuck in and not giving up despite working hard up the hills and dealing with unfamiliar bikes.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Swapped my saddle off the old bike to the new one. Gave the one on the new bike 300kms, that was more than enough to let me know my arse is too fat for this one.
Also: worked out how to level my saddle on one of those 2-bolt seatposts.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Rorschach wrote:Also: worked out how to level my saddle on one of those 2-bolt seatposts.
Did it involve the use of ink blots? :D

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:10 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Also: worked out how to level my saddle on one of those 2-bolt seatposts.
Did it involve the use of ink blots? :D
The mount of loctite on the seatpost would indicate yes

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Put some new Dura Ace pedals on the bike (old ones have buggered bearings) and some Easton E100 bars. I still have a heavy saddle and heavy wheels on the bike, but it is comfortably under 6.9kg. The bars feel a lot nicer over bumpy roads.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:28 pm

What did I do with my bike (yesterday):

1. Fixed a creak, easily and with the first thing that I looked at - by tightening the bolts holding the NDS crank on.

2. Fitted new rubber hoods to my shifters. Now that's a fun job!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Replaced a faulty Magura RT8 brake lever - extremely fun job (not). Had to pull apart the whole bike to achieve that, undoing the rear brake in order to have enough cable slack to pull the dead lever out of the base bar and attach the new one.

Then put it all back together again, and finally bleed the brakes. Time consuming! I have to redo the bar tape as well, also complicated because I've got some special shift buttons to work around.