What did you do with your bike(s) today?

10speedsemiracer

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:00 pm

member054 wrote:
So what is this nostalgia bike ? Pics pls..
My nostalgia bike is reminiscent of daydreaming in my youth, lost days flipping through cycling magazines rather than paying attention in school (no internet!).

The goal is; classic style with modern components and destined for longer weekend or group rides. Going for well rated and good value components. For now it's just sticking stuff together as I go along and will do a proper build/tension once the bottom bracket and crankset are installed.

I'm hoping on the road sometime in December!

Quick question, those forks look....unique. Are they a retrofit, or were they with that frame oem?
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:05 pm

CKinnard wrote: BTW, unfortunately, I let fellow velo's talk me into buying Di2 for the roadie a few years ago.
Yeah it's good....but so is mechanical shifting system tuned competently.....I would not buy electronic again.
You're the first person I've heard say that. Normally people rave about electronic and say "once you try it you never go back."

I've never tried it so can't comment, but currently using 105, I sure could feel a difference testing Ultegra and Dura-Ace mechanical. Very nice.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

member054

Postby member054 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:10 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:Quick question, those forks look....unique. Are they a retrofit, or were they with that frame oem?
OEM, Colnago Precisa.

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:53 am

CaffeineAU wrote:
Discodan wrote:Have a trawl through this thread, you can get them in a few designs through the 3D print channels including that snap an Ayup on the bottom of a Go_Pro mount under your Garmin

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=77691
Yes, when I was considering whether to do my own mount, I read that thread. Unfortunately the options all required the gopro mount, rather than attaching directly to the garmin out front mount.

Revision 2 of my mount, with a more rounded front shape, has been printed and tried out. It works well, so now I'll be getting the tool paths generated and it will be in to the CNC mill :)
Gotcha. I got one of these combo garmin/gopro mounts below (the stem mount ones also looks interesting). It's rock solid and I mount the light on it and every so often even a go-pro. Pic with light mounted at this link https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlR9KEiul8ImtFHyFCf0Znu3vU7j

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle ... 89406.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle ... 00567.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32820268147.html
Last edited by Discodan on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 am

Mububban wrote:
CKinnard wrote: BTW, unfortunately, I let fellow velo's talk me into buying Di2 for the roadie a few years ago.
Yeah it's good....but so is mechanical shifting system tuned competently.....I would not buy electronic again.
You're the first person I've heard say that. Normally people rave about electronic and say "once you try it you never go back."

I've never tried it so can't comment, but currently using 105, I sure could feel a difference testing Ultegra and Dura-Ace mechanical. Very nice.
Those who say they'd never go back to mech ime don't know how to tune, fine tune, or trim derailleurs!

Shimano mech in the last 5 years is way smoother than before, and if you know how to trim gears, it's absolutely fine.
What I have found with Di2 is the levers/electronic switch gets progressively less responsive, so you have to push the levers just as hard as you would a mech lever to trigger the electronic switch to change gears.

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:56 am

My experience is that Di2 doesn't shift noticeably better than mech but it's a lot less maintenance. Yes you can tune a mech to work great as cables wear and when you replace them but I'd rather not, set and forget works for me. So yes I know how to tune, fine tune and trim derailleurs; I just don't want to.

Interestingly I'd never ridden on Shimano mechanical until recently when I put together a parts-bin special gravel bike. The FD is a XT unit actuated by a 105 lever and it is the best shifting FD including Di2 I've ever ridden, a thing of joy. Let's see how it stands up to a bit of wear and tear

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Changed the dashboard a bit with the new (to me) garmin1000.
Fits ok between the twin aldi headlights.
Should be better for my failing eyes. Distance vision is good but reading is getting harder

ImageGarmin 1000

ImageGarmin 1000
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Discodan wrote:My experience is that Di2 doesn't shift noticeably better than mech but it's a lot less maintenance. Yes you can tune a mech to work great as cables wear and when you replace them but I'd rather not, set and forget works for me. So yes I know how to tune, fine tune and trim derailleurs; I just don't want to.

Interestingly I'd never ridden on Shimano mechanical until recently when I put together a parts-bin special gravel bike. The FD is a XT unit actuated by a 105 lever and it is the best shifting FD including Di2 I've ever ridden, a thing of joy. Let's see how it stands up to a bit of wear and tear
I've had a CX for over 3 years (~7000km) with Shimano 105 (5800).
Last friday was the first time I've had to adjust the gears - after riding through wet bog that fouled the tires and brakes. I had to re-tension the front cable at the FD retaining bolt, and tweak the RD barrel. It changes just as sharp as my 2yo Di2 ultegra roadie. In fact I don't have to press the mech levers as hard before the ders move. Never had a bad shift or dropped chain. In fact I rarely see that these days with the 11 speed mech groupsets.

My Di2 I have to remember to check battery regularly, and recharge- once every 3-5 weeks.

- On balance, the mech takes up less time and headspace.
- Another advantage of mech is if the frame has cracked, esp around the BB or chain stays, you'll know about it because gear changes will continue to go out of tune.
- I don't know anyone with more than 1 or 2 Di2 bikes. It gets real expensive to have a fully electronic fleet, and keep track of battery charge for all.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:15 pm

CKinnard wrote: My Di2 I have to remember to check battery regularly, and recharge- once every 3-5 weeks.
How much riding do you do? How hilly maybe? I'll do 7500-11500 k's per annum and charge mine 3 times. What gives?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:34 pm

fat and old wrote:
CKinnard wrote: My Di2 I have to remember to check battery regularly, and recharge- once every 3-5 weeks.
How much riding do you do? How hilly maybe? I'll do 7500-11500 k's per annum and charge mine 3 times. What gives?
Hooley Dooley. I don't anyone who gets ~3000km per charge.

I used to do 250+ a week, but now it's more like 100-150k on the roadie, and more time on the cx.
So up to 600/m. I could probably comfortably get 2 mths between charges, but I don't like surprises.
Everyone I know with Di2 has had rides disrupted by low or no power.
Further, as batteries age, they don't perform as well - see depth of discharge, end of life capacity, temperature, charging rate.
I tend to spin, so change gears more than most to keep rpm >75.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Rode it. Had a serious crack at a segment that I have played with for years (but have not had a real go at for 12 months)...wind was right...legs felt good...smashed it up the very steep hill...was miles ahead of my previous PR...road home all excited to check out progress...only to find my Garmin failing to upload...."Invalid File". Sigh.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:31 pm

New chain and cassette. Tweaked indexing. Feels good!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Refurb'd a Giant Sedona MTB for a neighbour, new cabling, Chain, tyres/tubes, brake pads, shifting, new pedals and general tuning. Came up really well. Hardest bit was fitting the Schwalbe Marathons, but it rode nicely for an MTB.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 pm

And swapped new dual pivots onto my Shogun Cr-Mo Samurai (90s) with soft compound pads. Big improvement over the older Shimano calipers.
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:21 am

Stripped the bike down and installed:

- chain
- 12-30 cassette
- all cables
- stem
- chinese carbon 'aero' handle bars i got from fleabay
- installed a carbon stem mount for my light

Haven't given her a ride yet but hopefully these chinese carbon stem doesnt break on me :)
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:28 am

Doing my usual ride yesterday, but on the CX while the roadie gets serviced.
The CX would not have more than 1500km on it since new.
Half way through the ride the chain came off the small chainring towards the frame with a downchange.
It had never done that before, and I had only tweaked the gearing a few weeks earlier and all was running smooth.
I put the chain back on, and then with the first hill the chain was complaining.
Soon it appeared to have slipped off the chainring again.
On inspection, the chain was hanging out the back on the road, a link had totally failed, opening up and breaking the chain.
Never had that happen before.
I've never put the chain under unreasonable lateral stress, so presume the original joining pin may have been compromised. The chain didn't have a reusable link.
Anyway, was faced with ubering home, or walking 4km to the nearest bike shop.
Decided on the latter considering I had mtb shoes on (better for walking), and had 3 hours before work.
WIthin 10 minutes, another cyclist driving his work van pulled up and offered me a lift!
Got to the shop after a good chat, and they quickly put a reusable link on, and I was set to go. total cost $5.
I offered more, for labour, but they wouldn't take it.
Am going back today to buy some new shoes...and gave the guy in the van my phone number to catch up and I'd buy him breakfast.

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:09 pm

A little late, but gave my bike a wash, and degreased using the Australian Export Degreaser in the aerosol can from Super Cheap Auto.. That stuff is magic and seems to lift anything quickly and easily.

As part of the bike wash, I removed and cleaned the jockey wheels. The amount of hair, dust etc caught up in it was frightening... I'm amazed the wheels still turned. I guess that happens when your bike is always indoors as a Zwift workhorse.

Now I just need to make my white bar tape purty.. Until it dirties up again.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am

De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:17 pm

rangersac wrote:Killed it!
Oh no..

member054

Postby member054 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Finished my nostalgia build and have ridden it a few times, settling into road bike position and gettin' to know her! Very happy with the outcome...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Went for a ride this morning on my new MTB. Haven’t converted to tubeless yet, so was thankful when I hit something rather hard with the back wheel and the tyre stayed inflated. About 5km later while tearing down a hill at about 50km/h the tyre decided it was time to go flat. Pulled over, asked for a pump from my riding buddy, but it went up, the straight down again. He lent me a tube (gotta take my own spares) 29er for 27.5 wheel. When I pulled the tube out it has two snake bite cuts around 15mm long. I guess the tubeless ready tyre/rim combo kept it inflated for the 5km, because I definitely didn’t hit anything on the fast descent.

Fitting tubeless this arvo.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:37 pm

member054 wrote:Finished my nostalgia build and have ridden it a few times, settling into road bike position and gettin' to know her! Very happy with the outcome...

That is one sexy cycle

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Built up an 89 Peugeot restomod, Mangalloy frame, Shimano 105 2x9 on BioPace rings, Shimano r600 brakes, Mavic Aksiums and 28mm Maxxis Re-Fuse.
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Gave the old girl new shoes, bar tape and saddle

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:36 am

Put Conti Gators on a carbon Bianchi Intenso for someone today. Weird feeling handling someone's carbon bike...I broke out new gloves for it. Was happy when I finished, rubber held air, and nothing got scratched or dropped. Parked it up, sent him a pic, not touching it until he comes to pick up. First pair of Gators I've fitted in a while, and my god they go on so much easier than most Schwalbes. Look surprisingly good on the HED rims and stealthy matt black frame as well.
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.