What did you do with your bike(s) today?

foo on patrol

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Haven't done it today but over the weekend, I intend taking a dremel to a set of 105 compact cranks to make the outer Rotor Q chainring fit. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 am

I fixed a noise.

I had developed a gentle "ticking" sound. It was sort of metallic, but very tinny. It was clearly audible to a guy I was riding with last week. We eventually worked out that it happened both while I was pedaling and coasting, and the noise was once per wheel rotation.

I was worried because I have brand new wheels, and I hoped that there was no problem with them. My riding buddy thought that it may have been a bearing, but I thought that it was a bit too tinny for that.

It didn't happen when I stopped and spun the wheels by hand - only while there was some weight on them.

Anyway, I had a good look over it and it turned out to be the brake blocks. The rear brake blocks were sitting a bit too high on the rim, and one was just catching the tyre in one spot as the wheel rotated. I think that the brake blocks were a bit too high because of the swapping over to the new wheels, and the rim/brake block/tyre being slightly differently placed.

I'm still not sure why the sound would be thin and metallic when this happened. I can only guess that it was because the noise was coming from the caliper itself as things flexed slightly.

IamGroot

Postby IamGroot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:26 am

I rode one of my 3 to take the Mr Leo Bull Terrier to the Vet.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:20 am

Built this and rode over it with my old MTB :mrgreen:

Also removed the rack and put the knobblies back on my MTB after filming the above, then disassembled an old steel folding bike my wife scrounged up and is hoping to make rideable. Cleaned a beach full of sand out of the chain and wiped years of muck off the chain and crank too.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:21 am

made sure the brakes work..... :mrgreen:

Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:55 am

Indicators are an optional thing to use, didn't ya know that! :roll: :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:09 am

Damn that could have been bad if it was just a second or two different. Obviously the driver did basically everything wrong but I can imagine him missing you in a rear mirror check where he would see most vehicles. Must have needed a change of undies after that.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:36 pm

recumbenteer wrote:made sure the brakes work..... :mrgreen:

I know where that is too. Of course the authorities would suggest that you should have a bell and a helmet. (end sarcasm mode)

That was very, very close. I'd be sending that off to the Police. Even worse that you have to use that diversion still because of the obstacles they've added at the railway crossing.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:59 pm

andrewjcw wrote:Damn that could have been bad if it was just a second or two different. Obviously the driver did basically everything wrong but I can imagine him missing you in a rear mirror check where he would see most vehicles. Must have needed a change of undies after that.
The driver didn't look left before making the right turn otherwise how could they not know there was another vehicle behind them?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:10 pm

Found the source of annoying creaking sound - it was the pedal bearings.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:13 pm

andrewjcw wrote:Damn that could have been bad if it was just a second or two different. Obviously the driver did basically everything wrong but I can imagine him missing you in a rear mirror check where he would see most vehicles. Must have needed a change of undies after that.

Yeh, I'm aware I'm on the "down low".... I try to position myself where I can see the driver's face in THEIR mirrors.... therefore they "should" be able to SEE me...

and with 35yrs motorcycling experience, my "Spidey-senses" are always at 10/10.

I was fully expecting a "right cross" ... I was watching the front tyres of the car, & went "full defensive mode" as soon as they started to move to the right....

and yep, I hope a change of undies were required..... they WILL look next time
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:28 pm

recumbenteer wrote: and yep, I hope a change of undies were required..... they WILL look next time
I think it was your undies andrew was referring to!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:18 am

Swapped wheels over, chain rings, etc.

The realised I need a SRAM medium cage rear derailleur- at nearly $800. Grrr.

I will be selling the existing derailleur.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:26 pm

redsonic wrote:
recumbenteer wrote: and yep, I hope a change of undies were required..... they WILL look next time
I think it was your undies andrew was referring to!!
Mine were fine.... LOL
after all those "years on motorcycles" (read "motorcycle accidents") I always ride "on the edge"...
Time slows down in "exciting" situations...
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:07 pm

I assembled a spin bike for some hurtin in front of the TV. :mrgreen: I have an interval program to run on it, so lets see what happens. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:57 pm

biker jk wrote:
The driver didn't look left before making the right turn otherwise how could they not know there was another vehicle behind them?
It wouldn't have made any difference, they are in a car so slower vehicles (bicycles) behind are clearly irrelevant... :roll:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:20 pm

recumbenteer wrote:made sure the brakes work..... :mrgreen:
Ah the Sydney drivers favourite, turn left to go right, no need to indicate

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Took it to a bike shop that was full of bikes even older than mine (1996 Shogun). Great way to spend my lunch break. Then looked up the manufacturing date of my front derailleur (April '96).

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Had a look over the cheap e-folder-bike I picked up recently. Battery has issues, but it otherwise tested ok. It’s a mid drive unit and I thought I’d take the e-stuff off to put on something better. Discovered, a little surprisingly, that the crank has a freewheel built in. Must be to disengage the pedals in throttle mode. Upped the degree of difficulty because I’ll now need to swap out the cranks too - not that cranks are that hard to swap.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

uart

Postby uart » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:41 am

bychosis wrote:Discovered, a little surprisingly, that the crank has a freewheel built in. Must be to disengage the pedals in throttle mode. Upped the degree of difficulty because I’ll now need to swap out the cranks too - not that cranks are that hard to swap.
Yeah they (mid drive) all have that, otherwise your pedals would be coupled to the motor which could be dangerous.

Remember that even with only pedal assist (no throttle), the controller and motor response is not completely instantaneous. So if you suddenly stopped pedaling, and for example tried to back pedal, the motor would (without that extra freewheel mechanism) force the pedals for a second or two just like on a fixie. You'd end up with people getting bucked over their handlebars by their pedals.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Took the wheels off, took the rear derailleur off, put padding around the frame and packed the whole thing away in a bike bag. More packing to go - then it's off to France - riding in the mountains there.

There are some enormous climbs each day, usually at least two of them at 20km or more and averaging above 6%. Galibier and Bonette will be the highest passes I've ever done on a bike.

Looking at the profiles, it looks flatter than where I've been in the Dolomites, but the climbs are much longer.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:10 am

Last night I prepared a birthday bike for my son. I though I was putting on a new gear cable, installing brakes (binned the Avids that were on it as they had no fluid and missing parts), grips and giving it a tidy. Not so, had some pretty dodgy work done to it, and was obviously neglected.
This greeted me at the front derailleur:
The rear derailleur wont run properly, it keeps skipping off the lower jockey wheel when on the bigger cogs, prob a bent cage. The front derailleur wouldn't play nicely enough to be a middle ring chain guide for a 1x conversion. The rear brakes seem to need new pads as the wont grip. The forks are in terrible condition, with scratched stau..legs and the headset cap/seal thingy has been crushed down onto the frame.

Sigh. Some people shouldn't be allowed to 'maintain' their gear. Still, with the spares I have on hand I think it will still be reasonable value.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:03 pm

After ph-faffing about with different saddles on a new bike for about 8 months I gave up and swapped the old favourite saddle from my trusty old 2011 CAADX (which after nearly 50000kms is now just a spare bike) onto it.

Aaaaahhhh.... !!! :roll: :D
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:06 am

cyclotaur wrote:After ph-faffing about with different saddles on a new bike for about 8 months I gave up and swapped the old favourite saddle from my trusty old 2011 CAADX (which after nearly 50000kms is now just a spare bike) onto it.

Aaaaahhhh.... !!! :roll: :D
Yes, once you've found the right saddle. I swear by Bontrager Montrose. It isn't a very fancy light weight saddle- but it is comfortable.

I ended up taking the fork out of my bike, removing the brake cables to the back, then installed some thin plastic tubing through the front of the bike where the rear derailleur cable would normally go.

Routed this through to the top tube, fed the brake cable back through the tubing and connected it back to the rear brake.

Then reinstalled the fork. This arrangement has nothing that can now rub against the sides of the frame. It is much neater looking too.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:51 am

Decided to put a new chain and cassette on the bike after probably putting it off for more than a year :lol:
I wont say how many kms they have done as I am sure I will get flamed