What did you do with your bike(s) today?

10speedsemiracer

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Rebuilt headset on Raleigh (pita) and spent time on a Shogun Samurai (Headset, calipers, frame) before it gets it's refurbished drivetrain, crankset, BB, cables and bar tape.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:14 pm

I picked up my new Defy Advanced 1 frame yesterday, as a warranty replacement for my cracked Defy Advanced 2 frame. Loving it so far (only managed a short 22km ride at lunchtime today, but on the 47 strava segments on this ride, I set PRs on 34 of them, and the majority of the rest were 2nd fastest!)

Fortunately Giant supplied the 2017 Advanced 1 frame, which is a nice matt black with orange accents, rather than the 2018 Advanced 2 frame, which is a very bright fluoro green!

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Not today - but last night.

Fitted etap wifli... OMGosh - its luvely!

But - wifey hasn't figured it out yet ;-)

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Last night, did a mtb race. Was great till it rained on the way home. But mt 26in v-braked Tiframe did a great job, set some PR's.
Today pulled a bunch of suspension pivots apart and gave them a wipe down, little bit of grease on the shock bolts... all (well most) of the creaks have gone away...yay.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm

BugsBunny wrote:Not today - but last night.

Me too. :) Now I have to go finding those rubber caps to close up all of the holes where the manual gear cables used to go. It has only brake cables.

At the moment they are taped over, not that you'd notice.

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:39 pm

g-boaf wrote:

Me too. :) Now I have to go finding those rubber caps to close up all of the holes where the manual gear cables used to go. It has only brake cables.

Congrats mate! I had not tried etap or DI2 before so this is another world for me.... the feeling is smooth /sublime and seemingly quieter shifting. I'm loving it!.... I had a couple of dropped chains on upon shifting from small to big chain rings so I'm still in the fine tuning stages but I'm sure not a problem in the longer run. Seems you need a big of tension/loading and continuous pedalling when shifting else without some gentle loading it comes off. at least this seems to be anecdotally what happened today.... will give it some more trys before I do any major adjustments....

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:46 pm

BugsBunny wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Congrats mate! I had not tried etap or DI2 before so this is another world for me.... the feeling is smooth /sublime and seemingly quieter shifting. I'm loving it!.... I had a couple of dropped chains on upon shifting from small to big chain rings so I'm still in the fine tuning stages but I'm sure not a problem in the longer run. Seems you need a big of tension/loading and continuous pedalling when shifting else without some gentle loading it comes off. at least this seems to be anecdotally what happened today.... will give it some more trys before I do any major adjustments....

Sounds like more fine tuning needed, especially with front derailleur. Mine is pretty perfect on the front derailleur, but the RD isn't quite 100%. I've used Di2 before and have 11 speed Ultegra Di2 on another bike, that one is super easy to tune. Shifting isn't quite so unusual though - it sort of mirrors the customised Di2 I have on my Cervelo where it has shift buttons on the base bar for the rear derailleur. Left button to move RD left, right side button to move RD right.

In any case, that Giant I have E-Tap on is now pretty aero for a TCR frame, it's got hardly any cables hanging around the front of it and I think I can put the rear brake cable in to one of the openings where the gear cable used to go, then it'll be very clean looking. :) The bars are also the Giant Contact SLR aero bars with internal cable channels. Also very nice.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Starting to rebuild a Trek Madone 4.5 with Dura Ace 9000. I've got virtually everything I need except the cranks.

I got some 38cm Bontrager bars and the cables go through those, but that's as far as internal cables go, everything else is external - it's a fairly old bike, but is in perfect condition.

And fitted SRAM Red brakes to a Giant TCR SL1, getting rid of the fairly mediocre (but light) Planet X Ultralight calipers it did have.

member054

Postby member054 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Attached derailleurs and shifters on my nostalgia bike. Just need the crankset and stick it all together. Crankset should be available mid-November.

So it's a bit longer of sitting on the bike in the garage at night saying "Wheeeee" to myself. At least it keeps the possums entertained :roll:

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:49 am

My road bike has a garmin out front mount, knog oi bell and cheap aldi light attached to the bars. I recently did a night ride where needing to see was the aim rather than just being seen, so I went to mount my ayup lights to the bars too, only to find it's getting pretty crowded.

Crowded bars by CaffeineAU, on Flickr

So with the assistance of some friends with design skills and a 3D printer, we made a mount that attaches to the bottom of the garmin out front mount, and replicates the ayup light mount.

Ayup Light Mount by CaffeineAU, on Flickr

With the lights mounted, it is much neater and saves plenty of room on the bars!

Ayups mounted on Garmin out front mount by CaffeineAU, on Flickr

I have made some tweaks to the design, to improve how it fits and secures to the garmin mount, and to round off the square corners at the front for more aero :lol:

The new design will be printed overnight, and if it works well, then we'll machine out out of delrin or something similar with the CNC mill next week :D

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:27 pm

Nice work! 3D printers are pretty amazing for custom projects and one offs :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Almost got clobbered on four non-consecutive occasions;

1. Pedestrian on Spring Street near Parliament Station, speedy jaywalk right across me, (avoided him),
2. Taxi in Lonsdale Street, stopped without indicating in a bus zone and immediately opened his door, (avoided him),
3. Bus played chicken with my rear tyre on the downhill section of Lonsdale, (avoided being squished, haven't accelerated that hard since 1982)
4. Tiny courier van doing his bike impersonation, and drove in the bike lane along William Street from Lonsdale to Flagstaff, trying to squeeze past other cars, dabbing his brakes every 8-10 metres, with me right behind him (missed him too).

So I found that the brakes work nicely, the tyres are grippier than I thought, the brifters work well with the SRAM cassette, and some people are muppets.

Aside from that, was a good day.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:16 pm

CaffeineAU wrote:My road bike has a garmin out front mount, knog oi bell and cheap aldi light attached to the bars. I recently did a night ride where needing to see was the aim rather than just being seen, so I went to mount my ayup lights to the bars too, only to find it's getting pretty crowded..........

I have made some tweaks to the design, to improve how it fits and secures to the garmin mount, and to round off the square corners at the front for more aero :lol:

The new design will be printed overnight, and if it works well, then we'll machine out out of delrin or something similar with the CNC mill next week :D
This is friggin' brilliant. Just wondering why no-one has done this before? I would think that if you did a small run of these, interested parties here would probably snap them up. Just sayin'

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:53 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:This is friggin' brilliant. Just wondering why no-one has done this before? I would think that if you did a small run of these, interested parties here would probably snap them up. Just sayin'
It would be pretty easy to replicate the mount in small quantities using the 3D printer, however the CNC machined one would be less viable economically I think.

member054

Postby member054 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 pm

Cabled up the brakes on the nostalgia bike. Got to walk it up some hills around home and coast around (no crankset yet...), so it was an opportunity to get a feel for drop bars for the first time in about 25-years.

Back to back, the steel nostalgia bike with 23mm tyres, firmer saddle and no handlebar tape was smoother than my aluminium commuter with 40mm tyres. Coasting without pedal contact point was awkward so really looking forward to the next stage! The possums are still entertained by my late night antics.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 am

Took my road bike for a first ride up in the hills. Managed 52km with 886m of climbing. It may have been slow and painful but I got a real sense of accomplishment riding some of the old roads I rode on as a teenager on my MTB. It's definitely a lot easier on a road bike!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:49 am

member054 wrote:Cabled up the brakes on the nostalgia bike. Got to walk it up some hills around home and coast around (no crankset yet...), so it was an opportunity to get a feel for drop bars for the first time in about 25-years.

Back to back, the steel nostalgia bike with 23mm tyres, firmer saddle and no handlebar tape was smoother than my aluminium commuter with 40mm tyres. Coasting without pedal contact point was awkward so really looking forward to the next stage! The possums are still entertained by my late night antics.
So what is this nostalgia bike ? Pics pls..

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:02 am

Pulled the next project out of the shed. 1989 Peugeot PE10 which will cop a restomod...
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:09 am

And mucked around yesterday with a Shogun Samurai (1990). Brakes, cables, crankset, BB, wheels, 8sp, bar tape, 25mm Vittoria Zaffiros.

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:25 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote: This is friggin' brilliant. Just wondering why no-one has done this before? I would think that if you did a small run of these, interested parties here would probably snap them up. Just sayin'
Have a trawl through this thread, you can get them in a few designs through the 3D print channels including that snap an Ayup on the bottom of a Go_Pro mount under your Garmin

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=77691

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Mububban wrote:Took my road bike for a first ride up in the hills. Managed 52km with 886m of climbing. It may have been slow and painful but I got a real sense of accomplishment riding some of the old roads I rode on as a teenager on my MTB. It's definitely a lot easier on a road bike!
Great to hear.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Been riding my 8.3kg CX a lot recently for utility stuff, and when it's wet.
When I get back on my 6kg roadie, yeah baby yeah!!!
BTW, unfortunately, I let fellow velo's talk me into buying Di2 for the roadie a few years ago.
Yeah it's good....but so is mechanical shifting system tuned competently.....I would not buy electronic again.

member054

Postby member054 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:47 pm

My nostalgia bike is reminiscent of daydreaming in my youth, lost days flipping through cycling magazines rather than paying attention in school (no internet!).

The goal is; classic style with modern components and destined for longer weekend or group rides. Going for well rated and good value components. For now it's just sticking stuff together as I go along and will do a proper build/tension once the bottom bracket and crankset are installed.

I'm hoping on the road sometime in December!

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Discodan wrote:Have a trawl through this thread, you can get them in a few designs through the 3D print channels including that snap an Ayup on the bottom of a Go_Pro mount under your Garmin

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=77691
Yes, when I was considering whether to do my own mount, I read that thread. Unfortunately the options all required the gopro mount, rather than attaching directly to the garmin out front mount.

Revision 2 of my mount, with a more rounded front shape, has been printed and tried out. It works well, so now I'll be getting the tool paths generated and it will be in to the CNC mill :)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:59 pm

member054 wrote:
My nostalgia bike is reminiscent of daydreaming in my youth, lost days flipping through cycling magazines rather than paying attention in school (no internet!).

The goal is; classic style with modern components and destined for longer weekend or group rides. Going for well rated and good value components. For now it's just sticking stuff together as I go along and will do a proper build/tension once the bottom bracket and crankset are installed.

I'm hoping on the road sometime in December!
That is a nice bike. I love the whole restomod thing, have just finished a Hollowtech/Ultegra 10sp refit of a 1990s Kennedy, and doing the same to an 80s Peugeot next.