Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race

2sharp

Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby 2sharp » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:59 pm

Anyone not "dot-watching" the IndiPac should be. Day one and its addictive and epic already. The big hitters are still going ~400km in.

Follow here:
Live Tracker: Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Smithstreet

Re: Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby Smithstreet » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:19 pm

There is already another thread over in 'Touring Australia', but should probably be here, for more exposure.

And yes, I'm also dot watching, and also addicted.

Get on it folks.
#IPWR

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:26 am

Can't believe how addictive dot watching is. Some great photos and vlogs on FB too. Nearly as exciting as last nights Milan - San Remo.
kudos to all involved.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:26 pm

An acquaintance of mine through HPV racing, Sam O'Dea, is racing this, and at 22 is the youngest competitor. :-)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:26 pm

The one day recap thing mentioned an 18 year old rider. Maybe he's not doing the full course or something though.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks for heads up. I was curious about it, especially durianrider :roll:
I hope he gets trolled like he did to the American a few years ago who did US coast to coast.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Looks like DR is out according to Facebook. Says he's injured.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:05 pm

I'll have to get out and watch when they come through town.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:06 pm

The organizer Jesse Carlson has retired at Norseman with an exacerbated 'abdominal' injury.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRzyvmNlaue/

And current leader Allegaert has made a 12km break on Mike Hall.

2sharp

Postby 2sharp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:19 pm

CKinnard wrote:The organizer Jesse Carlson has retired at Norseman with an exacerbated 'abdominal' injury.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRzyvmNlaue/

And current leader Allegaert has made a 12km break on Mike Hall.
Oh no! He was riding quite strongly too

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Allegaert is 18km ahead now. I think these early days can be telling about rider form.
It'll be interesting tracking these two. Allegaert has come straight from a Belgium winter with no acclimatization afaik. Theoretically, his blood and interstitial fluid volumes will not be what they could have been; which leaves him more susceptible to electrolyte disturbances, compromised renal clearance of metabolites, working with a higher heart rate, and having more muscle and joint microtrauma and inflammation.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:09 pm

My own conclusions after doing a couple 12 hour races. This is insane. :lol:

On a more serious note, staying in the bunch is key. You can't afford to ride solo for that distance if drafting is legal, when your opponents can draft. Every bit of research says that the aero and power benefits of drafting are huge and I can happily state that lost power is lost opportunity for something like this. Rolling solo is going to lose 500kms compared to the bunch. Not to mention your sanity :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Durianrider has failed. He talks too much bs to attract much sympathy. He knows the task and he didn't adequately prepare. Injuries are a great excuse when you just aren't up to it. Your training prevents those injuries.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Xplora wrote:My own conclusions after doing a couple 12 hour races. This is insane. :lol:

On a more serious note, staying in the bunch is key. You can't afford to ride solo for that distance if drafting is legal, when your opponents can draft. Every bit of research says that the aero and power benefits of drafting are huge and I can happily state that lost power is lost opportunity for something like this. Rolling solo is going to lose 500kms compared to the bunch. Not to mention your sanity :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Durianrider has failed. He talks too much bs to attract much sympathy. He knows the task and he didn't adequately prepare. Injuries are a great excuse when you just aren't up to it. Your training prevents those injuries.
Yes drafting is indeed illegal in this event. Most of the serious contenders have aero bars and mid-depth aero rims.

Note that Durianrider had a bike crash a few weeks ago and injured his ribs (at least that's what I've heard). Jesse Carlsson who is a very strong rider and was in the top 3-4 also dropped out due to injury (abdominal injury he's been battling for 18-months). I'm no fan of Durianrider but he does appear to have a legitimate excuse.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:34 pm

There's really only 4-5 guys that have any chance of being at the pointy end, and they know each other and respect what they're doing so it's very unlikely they're going to be cheating. There's very little to gain and everything to lose.

If the guys further back want to bend the rules a bit I don't think anyway cares too much. They're really just doing it for the personal challenge so they're only cheating (or not cheating) themselves.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:27 am

Saw them heading through the Perth hills just after their start on Saturday, truly insane and impressive in equal measures.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:43 am

Agree, this is the most riveting dot-watching ive ever encountered. Looking forward to what recap vid Rapha produce. Shame about Jesse though, just goes to show this is on some stratosphere level of riding most of us will never encounter

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:03 am

OVERNIGHT
Weather at Norseman in last 18 hours
wind swung through the night to SW7 from SE20 yesterday arvo
max temp yesterday 17C, currently 6C.

The leaders added ~200km overnight (the last 10 hours)
Based on the drop in average speed, lighter wind with a bit of tail, gentle descent, it's fair to presume the leaders rested for 1-3 hours.

It looks like most of the field had at least 4-5 hours sleep closer to Norseman.
3rd is Donncha Cuttriss 110km behind Hall
4th is Seb Dunne 6km back
These two possibly had 2-3 hours of additional rest to 1st and 2nd based on the increased gap.

The backmarker is a 35yo Aussie female Christie Hamilton who has covered 433km.
Last night 6 out of 70 appeared to have retired. This morning there's 11 trackers greyed out, but I think that happens when they turn them off when resting, in addition to having retired.

TODAY
Allegaert is 42km ahead now, with 1172km behind him over 49 hours (start time Fremantle 6am Saturday March 18)

The leader's bearing today will be mainly ENE.
The wind will shift to E to SE 20kph.
Allegaert's pace this morning is strong - 32kph in the last few hours, though there's a gentle decline.

330km to the WA/SA border.

Personally I think it makes a lot of sense to ride through most the night and early morning when the wind is lighter and has no tail, and temps are colder. Prevailing winds will be E to SE during the day and around 20kph average.
Day time temps have been comfortable so far.
I don't know the rules in detail on support, but might presume riders were allowed to send food parcels to forward locations.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:38 am

CKinnard wrote: I don't know the rules in detail on support, but might presume riders were allowed to send food parcels to forward locations.
No, that is against the rules.

See Rule 4
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

lard

Postby lard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am

Xplora wrote:My own conclusions after doing a couple 12 hour races. This is insane. :lol:

DR was hit by a car, fractured ribs and a lot of bone bruising by the sound of it. He barely trained as he was trying to recover from that. He may be a dick at times but get some facts right before bagging the guy.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 am

lard wrote:
Xplora wrote:

DR was hit by a car, fractured ribs and a lot of bone bruising by the sound of it. He barely trained as he was trying to recover from that. He may be a dick at times but get some facts right before bagging the guy.
The issue with Durianrider is he trolls so much, so hard, so often you never can tell if he’s serious of BS’ing. I know he was recently injured but I wouldn’t be surprised either if he just threw the GPS in bush and out of nowhere rocks up in Sydney in 2 weeks. You just can’t take anything he says seriously and understand why people have little sympathy for the guy.

roller

Postby roller » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:48 am

i'm on board, lots of dot watching going on by me.
inflammatory statement or idea

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Re Durianrider, he is obviously a good endurance rider, but he is also his own worst enemy and has poor judgement on how to influence others.

I respect him for turning a lot of lost young edgier people off drugs and alcohol, and onto eating more fruits and vege.

I disrespect him for his BS, and especially heavily trolling a guy he was competing with during a Strava January longest distance challenge a few years ago. The other guy was riding coast to coast in the US, unsupported, on a fixie! And Durianrider was sledging him throughout it. Whatever way you cut it, it was weak character and poor judgement.

I also think he confused the hell out of a lot of people re vegan diet, with one flea brained attention seeking media whoring attempt after another - 811, 30 bananas a day, raw til 4, smoothies with a couple of hundred grams of sugar added.....these things are unbalanced gimmicks which the doctors he idolizes wanted nothing to do with.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Hmmmmmm. This intrigues me. Might have to enter it sometime :)

I too would be trying to bash out most of the kms during the night but gotta be careful of those cold desert nights.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I've seen some footage of these competitors, and they are all carrying the minimal amount of "luggage" with them - just small frame bags. Real lightweight bikepacking setups.

So what do they do for sleeping? Are they carrying any sort of sleeping mat or blanket? Do they have a change of clothe? What's the logistics of it all for the guys at the pointy end?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Hmmmmmm. This intrigues me. Might have to enter it sometime :)

I too would be trying to bash out most of the kms during the night but gotta be careful of those cold desert nights.
Yep riding consistently under 7C or so is going to pull more energy reserves....but so is a headwind during the day!
suppose you have to consider that longer rides have slower speeds and lower windchill effect.
different strokes for different folks (especially re bodyfat% and stretchy guys like you!)

re sleeping, motels to bivvy sacks to sleeping during the day in any warm spot or even hotel room for 2 hours.

I presume they've been watching the weather forecasts very very closely and doing some hefty probability calculus on carrying what is critical between population centers.
They are able to buy anything on the journey. And obviously when gear is not required further, they could throw it away or mail back to an address.

Re kit, I think most would carry two pairs and buy more along the way if needed. They aren't that heavy.
They also need to carry jackets, arm, leg, and head warmers, gloves, boot covers, and water protection.

BTW, I have never done anything like this, but toured a lot when younger, and have done a few overnight credit card rides, and have talked at length with a few ultra guys about the subject.