New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

queequeg

Re: New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Drizt wrote:Gopro with the extended battery pack was acceptable from a run time perspective and Excellent video quality. But it also didn't have video looping. Video looping is simply file management, I can't see there possibly being any restrictions on implementation there.
For commuting, I just got to work and threw both my cameras on the USB charger. Then I had a full battery for the ride home. Unless i had a horrid slow ride home, I never ran out of battery, and one 32Gb memory card fitted the inbound and outbound commute nicely.

I just got two new batteries for them before buying the Fly cameras, so I am set should I decide to revert my setup to the VIRBs
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Drizt wrote:Yeh, that doesn't really cut the mustard as real looping.
Agreed, which is why I never used it, and just recorded my entire commute and then clear off the card every day at home. I'd keep 7 days of archived footage for both cameras, and only keep the raw footage of any actual incidents.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Jmuzz wrote:...that's the real trick, getting acceptable quality out of a sensor and efficient compression with low power.
Yes it is. The beta fw I'm currently evaluating (thrashing) for the Fly6ce provides a much better video quality, but file size and power consumption is up. Happy to report that it's quite happy with the 128GB SD Card still, even with file sizes just under 4GB. However due to licensing issues large SD Cards would of course be totally unsupported...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:15 am

No firmware update yet... except for the replacement which is due because of the water / fogging, most users will go out of the box unless there are problems. Unfortunately I had the comparison fly6 (gen 3) already off.

This was the first turn-off occurance and though my rides hav’t been more than 2 hours, the battery wasn’t a concern. When I noticed, I was able to turn it on and it started.

But will do a but more testing. Apart from the crash protection, is there also an idle function (where it turns off if movement not detected)?

Also planning questions for Cycliq so if you have one, you can let me know. I have most issues from the thread though wont necessary cover each one.

There are some good things, I am fairly happy with the mount and the fly12 compact design is nice.
Cycling is in my BNA

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:40 am

You will get lck file shutdowns without the 1.1.25.636 firmware, previous had a serious malfunction. Unless you disable crash mode. There was an RF clash with some sensors too.
https://support.cycliq.com/support/solu ... t-firmware

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 am

PiratePete wrote:The beta fw I'm currently evaluating (thrashing) for the Fly6ce provides a much better video quality, but file size and power consumption is up.
I'm very much looking forward to this. I'm finding that strangely despite the overall footage being clearer than the old Fly6, number plates are totally unreadable in anything less than broad daylight. I've been testing with and without EIS and no difference. The old Fly6 used to still pick up readable number plates even in the dark when the light flashed.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:09 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Apart from the crash protection, is there also an idle function (where it turns off if movement not detected)?
Both units have a default 15 minute idle timer and will then turn off. Which I found out after stopping for lunch on a sportive, not knowing there was an idle timer, and resuming my ride for an hour or so before noticing neither unit was running!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:48 pm

New Android app released.
Seems to be working properly.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 am

Update on the Fly6 and with the cycliq app was pleased to see that idle protection can be turned off - this will also allow for a bit of testing.

I notice than when connecting the Fly6CE via the USB cable to the - it is automatically recognised by the CycliqMac application whereas the Fly12CE is connected and needs to be turned on before it is recognised.

Fly6 - 1.1.25.636
This require a 2 step process

Fly12 - V1.0.36.000.
This is a 1 step process

An update - the default is 60fps and this is obviously affecting the file size so am testing with 30fps.

The Cycliq Share app oesn't like the .avi's from the old Fly6 and crashes - though appears to like the newer format more.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Of interest, a replacement fly6CE came and it has the older 1.1.23.000 firmware version so needs an update.
Cycling is in my BNA

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:36 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Of interest, a replacement fly6CE came and it has the older 1.1.23.000 firmware version so needs an update.
Yes, my replacement last week came with the old firmware as well. At least I was able to update it this time without bricking it!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:05 pm

Interesting experience - on the Fly12CE after a full charge, I got 2h 51m total recording time after which it stopped recording, gave me a series of beeps every few minutes but the flashing light continued to work.

After it happened, I also stopped for a while (coffee) then started the Fly12CE again. The flashing lights were working but when I checked later, video also wasn't being captured and I was getting the beeping.

The beeping sequence was 3 high beeps, (small pause) then a low and a medium beep.

I have the latest firmware but the total runtime is a bit concerning and I will check the specs.
Cycling is in my BNA

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:06 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Interesting experience - on the Fly12CE after a full charge, I got 2h 51m total recording time after which it stopped recording, gave me a series of beeps every few minutes but the flashing light continued to work.

After it happened, I also stopped for a while (coffee) then started the Fly12CE again. The flashing lights were working but when I checked later, video also wasn't being captured and I was getting the beeping.

The beeping sequence was 3 high beeps, (small pause) then a low and a medium beep.

I have the latest firmware but the total runtime is a bit concerning and I will check the specs.
Is that the "get home safely" mode? So, light keeps working when the battery drops below a certain level, and it stops recording to save battery?

I am getting around 2.5 hours battery with camera running at 1080p@60fps and the light on medium solid brightness both ways, which is just enough to get me to work and back, even with a dodgy leg. The Fly6CE seems to be more efficient, as I am getting home with the same recording settings, again with medium brightness (flashing), and I only use 20% of the battery.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:55 am

I checked - it is 1080p (AT) 30 fps and light on medium flashing.
On this I had two Fly6CE's running and they both lasted, as I was expecting. Compilation of my data:

Operating time 3h 30 min (3 stops - all devices turned off, then turned on for riding).

All cameras with idle and incident and stabilisation modes off
All cameras 1080p (AT) 30fps and 5 min files
All cameras used following a full charge

Fly6CE [1st] 8GB card - average 760Mb per 5min file
No light (except spinning LEDs)
53 mins saved footage (ca. 7.9 GB)

Fly6CE [2nd] 16GB card - average 760Mb per 5min file
No light (except spinning LEDs)
1h 39mins saved footage (ca 15.2 GB)

Fly12CE 16GB card - average 1.03 GB per 5 min file
Light: Medium Flashing
1h 13 min save footage (ca 15.1 GB)

NEXT TESTS

I will aim for some direct comparisons for the two rear cameras with frame rate, resolution and stabilisation.

At this stage I am not seeing a remarkable difference to having the 60fps rate although a quick test against some other footage showed the 30 fps was 760 MB and the 60 fps was 840 MB so the file size difference was not as massive as I had guessed.

For number place recognition, I am generally happy.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:08 am

I was riding on pavé today and testing the stabilisation.

The stabilisation on the Fly12CE was impressive - it was so bumpy and the bike (road bike 100psi) was really bouncing but the stabilisation smoothed it out. There is a sacrifice in sharpness and very dark footage is a concern - I think the light sensor is affected by cloud cover and this is recorded as bright so the entire video is darkened to compensate but then is too dark.

Interesting, the Fly6CE stabilisation (I had two unit running) provided nowhere near the same level - very shakey footage on pavé and also reduced quality. If I compare with the camera without stabilisation, yes it shakes but the footage is clear and I can get better stills.

I can share and cut the footage for comparison - though need some time.
Cycling is in my BNA

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue May 01, 2018 9:09 am

AUbicycles wrote: It was fully charged before and it was at (about) the 80 minute mark. A replacement is on the way because this one had the dodgy waterproof seal and the lens fogged but cleared again after drying and was otherwise ok.
how long did it take for the water to dry?

had my first ride, on Sunday, using the CE in wet conditions. it was an unexpected morning shower in the middle of a 4-hour ride. at the end of the ride, i switched it off (didn't think much of it as it was still working fine) but when i looked closer, there was significant water ingress all around the lens (and just the lens not the rest of the device).

I've been using cycliq products for over 2 years now and this is the first time i've had issue with water ingress. with the Fly6, you don't have to worry about wet weather at all.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue May 01, 2018 1:05 pm

I've seen in other forums, that if your fly6 CE has water vapour/fogging in the lens, they'll replace it for you no questions asked.

Apparently there was a manufacturing fault where one of their workers wasn't properly sealing the lens assembly.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 01, 2018 6:03 pm

I used a rubber band to hold back the seal and let it sit for days before trying. Has been ok since but I am due to send it back and any water is not good.

My concern with the water is that the top seal should be preventing all water from entering... but if it is the seal for just the lens, if water can still seep in, the problem is not yet solved

Havn’t been able to put the new unit to the test in wet conditions, maybe today.

For the Fly12CE I want to test the HDR setting to see if it fixes contrasts. Currently I am having issues knowing whether it is recording or not. At times the recording runtime is not as expected or I press record and get the bike lights but it is not recording as I expect. I have to take better notice if the tiny recording lights which are on the side and not in the field of view while riding. Running a number if tests on this.
Cycling is in my BNA

li2099

Postby li2099 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Tried twice to update from V1.1.25.6 to V1.1.25.636 but after what looks like a trouble free update, it doesn't get updated.
Stuck on V1.1.25.6 or what the app tells me it is.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed May 02, 2018 1:48 pm

The app chops off the last digits. It's something they know about.

Just open config.txt on computer connection, versions are at the bottom of that.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Thu May 03, 2018 1:00 am

Caelum wrote:I've seen in other forums, that if your fly6 CE has water vapour/fogging in the lens, they'll replace it for you no questions asked.

Apparently there was a manufacturing fault where one of their workers wasn't properly sealing the lens assembly.
Good to know as I have been hit with this in my first ride in the rain. I was very confident I had closed the seal properly (it's a bit finicky and as solmanic said earlier, you need to push down at the front of the device and slide back to ensure it's down.).

Here's the state of mine, still the same days later. I launched a support ticket today.

https://twitter.com/DaveQB14/status/990253699527196672
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu May 03, 2018 3:48 pm

that looks identical to my CE after first ride in wet conditions!

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Mon May 07, 2018 2:03 pm

SO i dug out my Garmin Edge 510 last night, as i'm commuting regularly now.

As we know, the Cycliq devices have ANT+ so figured i'd connect it up at the same time. Turns out (unless anyone can advise otherwise) that the only information transfer between the Cycliq and the Edge 510 is whether or not it's connected to ANT+ and what the battery level is.

Sure, battery level is useful, but i generally get a full week of commutes out of the Fly6 anyway, so just charge it on the weekend.

Being able to turn on/off the lights would have been really useful, particularly as i was also considering the Fly12 too.

Still considering it of course, but light control would have been a deal maker.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Tue May 08, 2018 7:47 am

I'm onto my second Fly12ce as the first had numerous issues with recoding at odd times or not recording at all.
The replacement is recording when it's supposed to but with a 32Gb card it will only record for 150mins which is about half of what i would like. I saw a mention of a 128Gb card being used with no problems. Is anyone else doing this and having success?
The run time is now ok so long as I don't use the light which sort of defeats the design of the Fly12ce.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue May 08, 2018 8:58 am

geoffs wrote:I'm onto my second Fly12ce as the first had numerous issues with recoding at odd times or not recording at all.
The replacement is recording when it's supposed to but with a 32Gb card it will only record for 150mins which is about half of what i would like. I saw a mention of a 128Gb card being used with no problems. Is anyone else doing this and having success?
The run time is now ok so long as I don't use the light which sort of defeats the design of the Fly12ce.
I am running a 64gb card in both my Fly12ce and Fly6ce without any apparent issues.
I found the 64gb card was the sweet spot for pricing. I paid $49 each for the cards, and I think the 128gb cards were $150 each.