New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Caelum

Re: New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Postby Caelum » Tue May 08, 2018 10:07 am

I'm running a Samsung Evo 128GB card in my Fly6CE - only because that was the only spare card i had laying around.

I did have to format it in exfat, or fat32 (can't remember) because it was originally in NTFS, but apart from that no issues at all.

I spoke with Cycliq support regarding the Edge 510 and lack of light control, to which their response was: "I double checked with our software team and unfortunately this feature isn't possible at this stage."

Which is a bit disappointing. Hopefully they'll add that feature into the phone settings app at least, but no word on that happening yet.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 am

Lights control on headset doesn't seem that good anyway, very fiddly to use.

A dedicated remote would be better. Can be positioned where it is usable, which is important since the ability to trigger a bright warning strobe or dip lights is important. Eg conserve battery by keeping low flash, but when on a hazardous section with traffic or you hear a car coming you can trigger a high brightness burst to ensure visibility.
Combine it with an electronic bell too.
And add a "flag segment" button like dashcams have so an event of interest gets stored and not overwritten and easy to locate.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue May 08, 2018 12:00 pm

All good suggestions, i think.

In theory, it shouldn't be that hard to create a simple ANT+ or Bluetooth device that does exactly that.

My primary headlight on my bike is a Fenix BC30: https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-bc30-led-bike-light/

Which has this feature:

Great for use at night with oncoming traffic looking like they're about to ignore your flashing lights because a cyclist is slow, so they'll be able to sneak through infront of you.

Suddenly a 200 lumen flashing mode becomes a 1800 lumen high beam.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Tue May 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for the replies regarding using larger capacity cards. I'll go and get a 64Gb card which should be enough for an average ride. I'll use the 32Gb card in the Fly6 I just bought for my wife.
I'm using a Fenix BC21 light as my main light as the Exposure Diablo has gone back to the UK for repairs. I just saw the Fenix BC30R is on special. Think I'll get one as the battery life looks good

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue May 08, 2018 10:08 pm

So something odd just happened - AFTER my ride home.

I turned on my Edge510 just to check some settings, and then without actually doing anything apart from turning it on, it turned on the Fly6CE for me.

Turning OFF the Edge510, turned off the light, but kept the camera recording. I had to go into the Cycliq Android app to turn off recording manually, as there is no way within the Edge510 to turn off the lights.

I'm sort of okay with that behaviour, as it means i can turn it on with the Edge510, but then have to manually turn off the Fly6CE after the ride.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed May 09, 2018 7:20 am

It's been reported with a few Garmin products which lack lights control interface.

Consider what could happen at cafes and in bunches when a rougue GPS is randomly pairing with other people's FlyCE's.

Plus the lack of any pairing security means anyone can intentionally control with the phone app.
That includes triggering a format after an incident!
Very big security flaw in a crashcam which needs to be addressed.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed May 09, 2018 10:29 am

Jmuzz wrote:Consider what could happen at cafes and in bunches when a rougue GPS is randomly pairing with other people's FlyCE's.

Plus the lack of any pairing security means anyone can intentionally control with the phone app.
That includes triggering a format after an incident!
Very big security flaw in a crashcam which needs to be addressed.
That is a startlingly terrible software design!!! Hopefully they patch it soon.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Wed May 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Cycliq have now stated that the next firmware updates will include video quality enhancements.

Hopefully the Fly6CE won't be useless for licence plates after the update.

I'd much prefer larger file sizes if it means we can finally use the device as intended (capture licence plates easily and reliably).

Once this issue is fixed, I'll be wanting to get a 128GB card for both my units. Do we have a list of cards that users have reported as working fine without any issues?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 09, 2018 4:11 pm

A tip when reviewing and scrubbing footage - specifically with the intention of identifying number plates - ensure that your video play is displaying the video in full size (100%). My default application on the mac is quicktime and by default it will open the application window at the screen size which can be smaller than the full sized video.
Cycling is in my BNA

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:28 am

I just purchased a fly12 - gen 1 at a guess but purchased new from c r c. Takes forever to fully charge. was on charge all day yesterday, used going home and coming to work and on charge all morning and still at 75%. I dont think I have managed to get it fully charged yet and in the same period charged front and rear light and garmin
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Thu May 10, 2018 10:29 am

Are you charging from a wall charger or a PC?

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu May 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Caelum wrote:So something odd just happened - AFTER my ride home.

I turned on my Edge510 just to check some settings, and then without actually doing anything apart from turning it on, it turned on the Fly6CE for me.

Turning OFF the Edge510, turned off the light, but kept the camera recording. I had to go into the Cycliq Android app to turn off recording manually, as there is no way within the Edge510 to turn off the lights.

I'm sort of okay with that behaviour, as it means i can turn it on with the Edge510, but then have to manually turn off the Fly6CE after the ride.
As an update to this, not only does the edge510 turning on also trigger the Fly6CE to turn on, but if i turn OFF the fly6CE before the Edge510 is TOTALLY turned off (not even just shutting down) the Fly6CE turns back on automatically.

I'm going to have to unpair the ANT+ system for this one.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Thu May 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Yeh, the ant+ stuff is useless on this device.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 am

Drizt wrote:Are you charging from a wall charger or a PC?
From a PC
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri May 11, 2018 9:01 am

Not enough current. Charge from a wall charger.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri May 11, 2018 9:21 am

Having read about all the Fly camera problems on this thread, I'm surprised Cycliq is still in business.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri May 11, 2018 10:46 am

Nobody else is in the market.
There are 100 $30 dashcams with same and better quality image but nothing else in a waterproof (semi) package with bike mounts and long battery life.

They are ok value unless you want to DIY something.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 11, 2018 11:54 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:Having read about all the Fly camera problems on this thread, I'm surprised Cycliq is still in business.
I have a review soon - but essentially it is a business where everything has changed. The founders are no longer involved in daily business, it went on the stock market and all the processes have changed. For example, they didn't do the same beta testing prior to launch and my view was that it was unexpectedly fast.

Though I anticipated that it was time for new products and asked, I only heard about the launch from the DC Rainmaker test and a promotion email - and the products went to market in the same month.

A number of things have been done well and there are improvements. Some things should have been done but wern't. And then there are some problems - some is bad luck such as assembly issues and not planned while others appear to have suffered from the fast launch where a bit more time would have helped. With Christmas looming and a big time for sales, this would describe why the launch was strictly a month before - but except for the water issue with the Fly6CE - most other issues should be able to be fixed with software.

--

For this thread, keep it in context that a lot of 'first movers' purchased and I think there is time for the software and reliability to mature. Cycliq are doing the right thing with customer support for their new product so that is a plus. But the history of this forum as that this Australian community has always been fairly well involved and active in discussion of the Fly products and cycliq, including with answers / input from the brand co-founder in the past. It is a logical progression that there is intensive discussion and even the smallest issues are soon spotted. The advantage is that the feedback helps others resolve.
Cycling is in my BNA

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Mon May 14, 2018 12:57 pm

To be honest, some of the software bugs (and the lens assembly issue) aside, it's actually a very good product.

I'm definitely happy with my purchase of the Fly6CE (i'm considering the 12), and while the software side of the product is currently lacking, i am hoping that they'll continue to develop it.

I've done some poking around within the firmware of the device itself, and have discovered some interesting things, including the chipset used and it's capabilities. I can see why they're using it, as it adds some future-proofing to their software. ie, they can use the same chip for the next 2+ generations easily, and can add some nice features such as wifi, GPS, and some other fancy things.

So i'm seeing the Fly6CE (and 12CE) as the first of a new generation of cameras from them, all of which should be based on the same software. That'll make development of new features and better stability much easier.

If they decide to move away from their current chipset used for the Fly6CE and 12CE, i'd be very disappointed, as it loses the development work that has been done to bring that product to market and starts from scratch all over again (just as they did from the move away from the Novatek chip used in the previous generation).

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon May 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Sunplus iCatch SPCA6350 chip?

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon May 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Caelum wrote:So something odd just happened - AFTER my ride home.

I'd suggest disabling the sensor in the Edge. I too accidentally managed to pair my pair of CE cameras to my Garmin VivoAcitve HR watch. Not only will it spuriously switch the camera on, it will also play with the active light functions (i.e. what ever light settings are enabled it will switch them on and off), as well as switch off the camera all randomly.

The next fw for the Fly6CE (the one with the better imaging) will also suffer this same interference from the unsupported Garmin device.

What I don't get, is why when the Garmin device does not support lights, why it pairs with and reports the CE's as lights? And further to that, if the Garmin device doesn't support light functions, why does it make the CE's do some pretty funky stuff when the sensors are enabled in the Garmin config?

BTW, with my Fly6 I only picked this up when doing a random check of the footage quality of a night ride (evaluating the next fw revision). I normally don't use the Fly6ce's light as my primary tail light and I noted that the red hue was casting a different shadow than normal... I had also been chasing a random shutdown issue. Took a few days of playing before I discovered it was my watch...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon May 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Drizt wrote:Cycliq have now stated that the next firmware updates will include video quality enhancements.

Hopefully the Fly6CE won't be useless for licence plates after the update.

I'd much prefer larger file sizes if it means we can finally use the device as intended (capture licence plates easily and reliably).

Once this issue is fixed, I'll be wanting to get a 128GB card for both my units. Do we have a list of cards that users have reported as working fine without any issues?
The fw that I've been running for the last 6 weeks or so is much clearer, the negative besides the larger file size is a reduction in battery run time. Cycliq is working on this currently and I'm hoping to receive another version which will hopefully better balance out between clarity and current draw. At the moment I'm getting 5 hours at 1080p/60FPS no EiS, no tail light, on two separate cameras. OK for commute, not so great for Audax rides...
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon May 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Can you share some video? I'd love to see how much better the quality is. If it isn't substantially better, I'll be asking for a refund and start looking for an alternative camera.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue May 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Drizt wrote:Can you share some video? I'd love to see how much better the quality is. If it isn't substantially better, I'll be asking for a refund and start looking for an alternative camera.
Not at this stage as they're playing with the possibilities to attempt to strike a compromise between quality and runtime. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to publish footage which may not reflect what they decide to offer. What I have is better, whether or not what ultimately is released is 'substantially' better will need to be verified by you.

Given I put my Fly6v on the bike a couple of weekends ago for an Audax ride suggests (for me at least) that run time can overrule image quality. But I don't work for Cycliq and certainly don't call the shots.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue May 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Sunplus iCatch SPCA6350 chip?
From memory, yes.