2018 - Black Cat Award (Punctures) - Prizes from Pedalit

g-boaf

Re: 2018 - Black Cat Award (Punctures) - Prizes from Pedalit

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 pm

First puncture of the year, tiny bit of wire caused a miniscule slow puncture of the rear tyre. Also took the opportunity to bin the GP4000S also, it was worn out.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 pm

First for me too. Rear tyre slash from a stick on a descent. Rolled on the carcass for a while and then walked the walk of shame back to to the car. Had only completed one out of five planned Montville repeats.

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:58 am

Feb 6th, I had a bloody nightmare.

On my commute home I punctured my rear just a couple of kms from the office.
Took the tyer off and replaced the tube with my spare, inflated it and then saw that the tyre had a big split in it. It's a brand new Conti GP4000 with 46km on, which I had just replaced a GP4000 that was split by my hitting some cracked concrete on a commute. I was gutted.
The replacement tube was leaking, so I deflated it and put a $5 not between the tube and tyre and inflated again.

It was still leaking so I limped to Good Cycles in Docklands and purchased another tube and co2 cannister.
Swapped tubes and re-inflated....leaking again...bugger!
I then put 4 patches on the inside of my tyre and the $5 note, then the cycle shop generously donated me another tube. This time I inflated using their pump and no leak!
I bought a replacement rear tyre off the shop just in case. The commute home cost me $76.

To top it off, as I was crossing Footcray Rd, a cyclist on the other side of the lights clipstacked just as I was passing and fell on top of me. I couldn't believe my rotten luck. A four letter word may have been uttered before I cycled off in a bad mood.

I did get PR's on the hills on my way home though....so silver lining and all that.

Flats for 2018 - 2.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am

Got sprayed on Saturday with tubeless goo but tyre stayed up so still on none
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Does a loose spoke count? I must have upset the gods somehow - as I had a very loose spoke on the rear wheel. I noticed it when pumping up the tyres. Swapped to the other bike which hasn't seen action since probably October last year. Then spent the first 10km shifting the front derailleur by mistake as it is Dura Ace 9000 instead of SRAM E-Tap on my other bike. :oops:

Funny, the Xentis wheel wasn't out of true at all, it was pretty much near perfectly straight.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:02 am

I am now off the mark... rear puncture... found the hole in the tube but nothing in the tyre. Bike is still in bikepacking mode so fun changing the tube with bags on... and first time I have changed the wheel with thru-axle. hopefully something I dont need to do again. Tyre gets changed on Sunday to a new tubeless for the Tour Aotearoa ... will use commuting wheels next week
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am

I am now also off the mark.
Left home later than normal & was thinking on the ride in that today wouldn't be a good time for a puncture, as it would definitely make me late for work.
Loads of construction going on in the Mascot/Redfern/Green Square area in Sydney & I guess it is inevitable that some debris will be ridden over.
So lo & behold I got a rear puncture, nowhere near a train station to get the train in. Close to a bike shop, but it wasn't open yet. So I had to suck it up & change it myself... 8)
Will have to try & steer clear of all the work sites, not easy & Sydney is a construction zone... Hopefully that's it for a while.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:05 pm

No puncture yet, but have to replace the rear on one bike due to sidewall failure.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:27 am

Punctured the front commuter wheel yesterday... managed to get to my driveway before it was to flat to ride... pulled the glass out and replaced the tube which was a dud so replaced again.

2 for the year now

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:16 pm

Playing catchup. I do lots of commuting on the M4, very seriously considering tubeless...

#1: 11/1, M4 special on the way to work. Wire retread
#2: 1/2, Another M4 special heading to work.
#3: 5/2, Coming home on the M4
#4: 6/2, Same again
#5: 10/2, at 60km/h on the Great Western Highway at Linden. I tempted fate by consciously wondering when the last time I'd had a flat on my weekend bike.
#6: 12/2: Coming home on the M4
#7: 13/2: Woke up to a flat tyre...
#8: 14/2: On a roll, flatted on the M4 in 40+ degree weather...

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:23 pm

march83 wrote:Playing catchup. I do lots of commuting on the M4, very seriously considering tubeless...

#1: 11/1, M4 special on the way to work. Wire retread
#2: 1/2, Another M4 special heading to work.
#3: 5/2, Coming home on the M4
#4: 6/2, Same again
#5: 10/2, at 60km/h on the Great Western Highway at Linden. I tempted fate by consciously wondering when the last time I'd had a flat on my weekend bike.
#6: 12/2: Coming home on the M4
#7: 13/2: Woke up to a flat tyre...
#8: 14/2: On a roll, flatted on the M4 in 40+ degree weather...
what tyres are you using?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:16 pm

First one for 2018. Copped a double G in the sidewall of my front tyre on my Saturday group ride. It was kind of like having a pit crew, as soon as I took the wheel off the others were pulling out tubes and tyre levers etc from my saddle bag :) Not quite Formula 1 but it did help get back on the road quickly.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:48 pm

caneye wrote: what tyres are you using?
All but one of the flats in my bad streak from 5/2 -> 14/2 was on a very, very worn Michelin Pro4 SC 25mm rear. When they have depth they're a lovely tyre, supple, fast, light and surprisingly resilient but once they've squared off it's over.

Last year I was running Vittoria Rubino G+ which were ok, but too many flats.

I ride about 300km a week on that bike which is too many kays to put up with crappy rubber. I figure that running relatively nice rubber has cost me ~80minutes so far this year, but that's a small price to pay for not having to suffer using bad tyres.

I run Veloflex Masters on my nice bike. They give about 1500km on the rear before they're trouble.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:02 pm

march83 wrote:
caneye wrote: what tyres are you using?
All but one of the flats in my bad streak from 5/2 -> 14/2 was on a very, very worn Michelin Pro4 SC 25mm rear. When they have depth they're a lovely tyre, supple, fast, light and surprisingly resilient but once they've squared off it's over.
ah, worn tyre. that would explain it.

have you considered something more puncture-resistant?
[based on my commuting experience on the M2 which has equal amount of filth]

- schwalbe marathon plus <-- ultimate commuting tyre, outstanding puncture-resistance, good wear rate (>7000kms before squaring, based on my weight of 67kg) but heavy as (try 900g for a single 32mm tyre) .. also PITA to remove from wheel
- conti 4 Seasons <-- good puncture-resistance, less than half the weight of SMP, decent wear rate but expensive
- schwalbe durano double defence <-- pretty good puncture resistance, lighter than the 4Seasons, cheapest of the lot but will not last the distance of the 2 tyres above

just my $0.02 ..

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Yeah, na. Been there, done that and learnt that life's too short to ride crappy rubber. I don't begrudge spending 10 minutes changing a flat when I get to spend the rest of the week rolling on nice rubber.

LG

Postby LG » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 pm

I'm at 2 for the year:
#1 gatorskin rear tyre on commute to work, a small piece of wire belting. Thankfully the tyre started deflating about 1km from work and was able to ease my way to within 200m of the driveway before walking the rest
#2 had a failure of a valve on the mtb, unfortunately about 5km from home involving a long walk
LG = Low Gear

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 am

march83 wrote:Yeah, na. Been there, done that and learnt that life's too short to ride crappy rubber. I don't begrudge spending 10 minutes changing a flat when I get to spend the rest of the week rolling on nice rubber.
Well, if you are going to run nice soft supple tyres, and use them until they are very, very worn, and then ride on the M4, we may as well declare this competition closed for the year, because you are a shoo in to win it :lol:

march83

Postby march83 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Something of a pyrrhic victory....

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:47 pm

Rear puncture from a bit of wire but I managed to split both new tubes I had as spares when I mounted them, had to walk home. I don't know if I've bought a bad batch of Conti innertubes or it was just bad luck on a wet Sunday but I've changed a thousand tubes on the go before over the last half a century and never had 2 split on me.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Hergest wrote:Rear puncture from a bit of wire but I managed to split both new tubes I had as spares when I mounted them, had to walk home. I don't know if I've bought a bad batch of Conti innertubes or it was just bad luck on a wet Sunday but I've changed a thousand tubes on the go before over the last half a century and never had 2 split on me.
I've got to say I'm none too fond of those Conti tubes, I don't find them particularly brilliant, never had much luck with them. The Specialized ones are my favourites now.

I got home before the rain today - but it was a fairly unpleasant ride in stinking humidity with a splitting headache. :oops: Pretty quick too, but not near yesterday's 35km/h average speed.

Hoping not to get any further punctures soon.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:57 am

g-boaf wrote: I've got to say I'm none too fond of those Conti tubes, I
I've never had them, but I have seen enough negative feedback that I will never buy one.

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:55 pm

#9: 26/2, M4 westbound
#10: 28/2, M4 westbound at Blacktown. Lots of traffic, some weird redneck guy with a big old ute pulled over and asked me if I wanted a lift. Not sure if he was genuinely a good samaritan, he wanted to try and steal my bike or he was a serial killer. None of those options would have surprised me.
#11: 1/2, fairy pube eastbound M4. Trimmed my nails this morning so I really struggled to get the bugger out.

On a pretty bad streak at the moment - I swear the M4 crews have just stopped sweeping the shoulder since they started the "smart motorway" roadworks.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 pm

Can I have a clarification on rule #4 please? Can they be counted if the flats belong to your offspring's bikes who are too young to repair it themselves?

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 pm

I was hoping to not enter this competition, but I'm (feebly?) hoping by doing so it will stop this crappy run of flats I'm struggling thru.

I've had at least one flat, sometimes three, every week since before Christmas, in fact so many I've lost count.

So if it's allowed I'm starting my tally at eight.

And here's last nights addition.
https://imgur.com/gallery/G5WXX

YTD: 9
Quarter 2: 1

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:39 pm

I picked up 12 punctures in January (6 foreign body penetrations and 6 pinch flats), and enjoyed a clean sheet in February. I was tempted to write in about this amazing turnaround but I was nervous about possibly jinxing myself. No longer a problem - puncture #13 this morning! It was a very slow leak caused by a fairy pube. I have little doubt the damage was done on the M5 shoulder (my old nemesis if such a word can properly be applied to a section of road), but I had left the motorway by the time I discovered it.