2018 - Black Cat Award (Punctures) - Prizes from Pedalit

steve-waters

Re: 2018 - Black Cat Award (Punctures) - Prizes from Pedalit

Postby steve-waters » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:15 pm

Two in a day and a torn sidewall...

So I went out Saturday morning for cheeky 35km loop before I had to get my kids to their early start Krav Maga grading - will be simple get up a bit earlier ride shorter but still have plenty of time to make it.

So about 35 minutes into the hour and bit ride I somehow miss that there are two big metal brackets for joining timber on the road till the last second - I miss the first but hit the second and then hear the deflating hiss coming from the rear. Jump off walk back swear at them then chuck the brackets in the bush. Change my flat using my one spare tube, send a joke text to the misses about first flat in gosh knows how long but all good still heaps of time.

So I continue the loop then after rolling down Olivers Hill the back feels a bit squishy so I pull over and I hear that bloody sound again only to find a slash in the side wall - now this slash was not there from the first flat as I checked but I assume it weakened the wall and down the tube went.

No worries I will call the wife to come and get me only 10km from home - ahh nope she has her phone on silent in the kitchen so I proceed to clock up 10 missed calls, 12 SMS, a few Facebook messages & an assortment Slack messages to the kids with nothing as the clock ticks towards the time we need to leave for grading.

My youngest finally clocks on to her iPad misses my help me messages (and various selfies) and asks how I am going anyway finally get onto my wife who grabs me and gets me home 5 minutes after I was meant to leave for the grading so my quick cheeky ride turned into a little Saturday adventure :)
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:14 pm

20180306 - rear tyre, michelin power endurance. no idea what got it. didn't find anything. can't find any obvious holes
20180322 - front tyre. I hit a stick about 1km from home last night. It obviously punctured the tube as it was flat when i went to the garage this morning. I put a new tyre on while i was at it. Michelin power competition
20180620 - go out to the garage. rear is flat. find the glass. replace tube (after finding the valve that disappeared across the garage with the valve cap) and i was on my way. michelin power endurance
Old total: 3
20180628 rear tyre on the way home. Found a cut and picked some glass out. I gas the tyre. Removing the flexihose, the valve comes with it. I couldn't get the valve out of my co2. A mate pulled up by then so I used his co2 dispenser. I had a spare cylinder
New total: 4

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:59 am

For Q2 the competition is now complete though first in two weeks will it be tallied and confirmed.
Cycling is in my BNA

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm off the mark for Q3 - a puncture on the M5. I had , and still have, no idea where it came from. I did not ride over any obvious debris, and, before I put my spare tube on, I removed the tyre completely and had a good careful look for a fairy pube, without finding one. When I arrived home I checked and found a decent sized hole on the outside of the tube, where the rubber meets the road (might be a good title for a song). I can only assume that I rode over something sharp that did not lodge in the tyre. Maybe the rubber is becoming a bit thin.

If I can get my soap box out for a minute - there are flashing lights on the M5 at the moment; one declares "240 tonnes of rubbish collected in 2017", and another "cover your load, don't litter and don't risk a fine". I'm curious as to how many littering fines were issued in 2017 (or any other time). Is it too cynical to suppose that the next infringement notice issued will be the first?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Two punctures today. A slow one, then the replacement tube went as well. :(

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm not in the comp, but two punctures in two days :cry:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:30 am

Two more as well, one of them this morning. :cry: Made me leave late and then had to ride absolutely flat out to make up time. Ended up with my fastest average speed for the commute. Felt absolutely wrecked afterwards though until I got something to eat.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:26 pm

jasonc wrote:
Caelum wrote:Figure as i'm getting back into cycling, and plan to be commuting each day i should start this again. .
Chris - if you're reading this, the award this quarter should go to this guy

Apologies for the radio silence, holiday and a healthy workload directed my focus elsewhere.
Thank you @jasonc, I will place my confidence in your assessment have Caelum as leader for #Q2 and will follow up now.

Don't forget to reset your tallies and keep on documenting... any more than a few a month and there is something wrong, seek help!

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:40 pm

I've been having a horror run with punctures - so ended up using some sealant in the tubes, just a small amount.

Hoping for no more. Today's misfortune was a small plastic bag blowing across the road and miraculously getting caught up in the chain and rear derailleur. :evil: When I say caught, I mean totally and utterly jammed in it. It jammed the whole entire Dura Ace 9000 rear derailleur. Took ages to pull all of it out and ended up with filthy hands.

And then on the way back, a pigeon decides to fly into my front wheel while I'm going 29km/h. I stopped to see if I had a severely injured bird to deal with, but it flew off after a bit with no injuries obvious and no mess over the bike (bike #1).

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:I've been having a horror run with punctures - so ended up using some sealant in the tubes, just a small amount.

Hoping for no more. Today's misfortune was a small plastic bag blowing across the road and miraculously getting caught up in the chain and rear derailleur. :evil: When I say caught, I mean totally and utterly jammed in it. It jammed the whole entire Dura Ace 9000 rear derailleur. Took ages to pull all of it out and ended up with filthy hands.

And then on the way back, a pigeon decides to fly into my front wheel while I'm going 29km/h. I stopped to see if I had a severely injured bird to deal with, but it flew off after a bit with no injuries obvious and no mess over the bike (bike #1).
Thankfully it didn't happen to the bike you're taking to France. Lucky escape with the pigeon. It would have been nasty if the bird was jammed in the spokes.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 am

Has anyone any thoughts on how far you can ride with a fairy pube in your tyre and not have it go down? The reason I ask is because I had a mystery puncture in the rear tyre of my MTB about a month ago. I have only ridden it once since then - about 28 km - and yesterday I went to take it out for a spin and the rear tyre was flat again. This time I found a staple embedded in my tyre, and I wonder if it could have been there since the previous puncture. It was so prominent, and I checked so carefully before, that the possibility seems remote. Yet still I wonder.....

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:46 pm

my own experience .. it will only last a couple of Ks before it's flat again. i'm not heavy, ~67kg.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:59 am

Emirates have smashed the bars in my bike. Absolutely fuming. I'll probably have a Mavic Canyon tomorrow- but I'm not pleased at having the bike I love damaged. :evil:

It is insured of course - but it throws my plans out of whack.

With my flight chaos as well (getting mild food poisoning) and then the delay (broken down plane), I was here too late to get the bars replaced. :(

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:18 am

g-boaf wrote:Emirates have smashed the bars in my bike. Absolutely fuming. I'll probably have a Mavic Canyon tomorrow- but I'm not pleased at having the bike I love damaged. :evil:

It is insured of course - but it throws my plans out of whack.

With my flight chaos as well (getting mild food poisoning) and then the delay (broken down plane), I was here too late to get the bars replaced. :(
:?: :?: :?:
No mentions of puncture.
Might be in wrong thread.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:37 pm

20180306 - rear tyre, michelin power endurance. no idea what got it. didn't find anything. can't find any obvious holes
20180322 - front tyre. I hit a stick about 1km from home last night. It obviously punctured the tube as it was flat when i went to the garage this morning. I put a new tyre on while i was at it. Michelin power competition
20180620 - go out to the garage. rear is flat. find the glass. replace tube (after finding the valve that disappeared across the garage with the valve cap) and i was on my way. michelin power endurance
20180628 rear tyre on the way home. Found a cut and picked some glass out. I gas the tyre. Removing the flexihose, the valve comes with it. I couldn't get the valve out of my co2. A mate pulled up by then so I used his co2 dispenser. I had a spare cylinder
Old total: 4
20180904 - front tyre. No idea what got it but I only found out when going down a short sharp descent. Then had the co2 unscrew the valve again
New Total: 5

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:00 pm

jasonc wrote:20180306 - rear tyre, michelin power endurance. no idea what got it. didn't find anything. can't find any obvious holes
Old total: 4
20180904 - front tyre. No idea what got it but I only found out when going down a short sharp descent. Then had the co2 unscrew the valve again
New Total: 5
Stop buying inner tubes with removable cores.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:06 pm

biker jk wrote:
Stop buying inner tubes with removable cores.
That would work too

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:18 pm

tyre was flat this morning. bike was last used for yesterday evening's commute.
unable to identify the cause of leak (which is a concern to me). it was a thin/light Continental "RACE" tube. far from ideal for daily commuting (lesson learnt there).
tyre = Schwalbe Durano Double Defense 25mm. Less than 1000km new.

note to self .. stop buying conti tubes with their annoying valve cores that come undone (as above).

#4th for the year, 1st in 3 months.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Pouring rain and a bit of glass in the front tyre... was on the fixie...lucky it wasnt the back..just realised I need a spanner to get the wheel off

9th for the year but only one this 1/4
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:15 am

Another puncture on the fixie but this time a bit of wire in the rear tyre... and i still didnt have a spanner to take the wheel off... lucky I was still in the CBD and there is a bike shop around the corner
10 for the year and 2 this 1/4
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:18 am

Old Total: 5
201801005 - rear tyre. Glass sliver. Valve came out, again. Mate helped.
Over the weekend, I used locktite on all my valves
20181009 - rear tyre. Nothing found. Valve didn't come out! Win
New Total: 7
(3 for Q3 this year)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:31 pm

I've given up on CO2 inflators for this very reason. I'm using my trusty old Zefal HPX pump again after blowing of all the cobwebs on it. The thing is super fast to inflate a tyre and needn't worry about the stupid cores

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm

#5 of the year (second one this quarter). tyre suddenly started to lose pressure just 400m from my work place during the morning commute.
found a COUPLE of radial wires and a piece of glass embedded on my Marathon Plus, no thanks to the wet weather we've been having. hopefully 1 of them is the culprit.
32mm SMP.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:08 am

201801005 - rear tyre. Glass sliver. Valve came out, again. Mate helped.
Over the weekend, I used locktite on all my valves
20181009 - rear tyre. Nothing found. Valve didn't come out! Win
Old Total: 7
(3 for Q3 this year)
20181016 - rear tyre - bit of glass in the wet
New total: 8

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:37 am

picked up another piece of glass on the rear tyre.
culprit = small little ceramic/porcelain piece. the thin & narrow but sharp debris could've pierced the rubber from any direction but it ended up doing maximum damage by entering perpendicular to the surface.

2 punctures on the same tyre within a week. bummer.
It's a Marathon Plus, so doubly disappointing. maybe showing signs of wear after 6000kms ..

#6 for the year .