2018 - Black Cat Award (Punctures) - Prizes from Pedalit

jasonc

Re: 2018 - Black Cat Award (Punctures) - Prizes from Pedalit

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:33 am

wet roads and drizzle, sadly my clean sheet for the year is over
old total: 0
2080306 - rear tyre, michelin power endurance. no idea what got it. didn't find anything. can't find any obvious holes
new total: 1

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:22 am

Went to head home yesterday from work and back tyre was flat... found a rusty old nail well and truly embedded in the tyre.. it must have been waiting on the road for me for years

Also on my failed Tour Aotearoa attempt I had a made dash to make a ferry, 1 km out I could feel the rear tyre getting a bit wobbly... head down I just made the ferry as the tyre went flat. found the metal part of the tubeless valve had separated from the rubber bit so in with a tube until I could replace the valve the next day. not really a puncture so not counting it

That will be 3 for the year
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:22 am

cancan64 wrote:Went to head home yesterday from work and back tyre was flat... found a rusty old nail well and truly embedded in the tyre.. it must have been waiting on the road for me for years

Also on my failed Tour Aotearoa attempt I had a mad dash to make a ferry, 1 km out I could feel the rear tyre getting a bit wobbly... head down I just made the ferry as the tyre went flat. found the metal part of the tubeless valve had separated from the rubber bit so in with a tube until I could replace the valve the next day. not really a puncture so not counting it

That will be 3 for the year
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:42 am

I was trundling along the Prospect Canal Cycleway yesterday on my MTB when I noticed my rear tyre was slowly deflating - puncture #14 for the year! My external examination failed to locate any foreign body in the tyre, and so I removed it from the rim in order to facilitate my inspection of the inside, result - nothing!

It was one of those bucolic sections of the cycleway that make it hard to believe you are only 20 km or so from Sydney CBD. The sun was peeping through the clouds and the birds were in full voiceI There are certainly worse places to have to stop to change a tube (M5 shoulder anyone?). I blew up the tube so that I might identify the source of the leak and fix it to the position on the tyre, but any sound of the air escaping was drowned out by the bird song (even the damn birds are conspiring against me).

Bottom line - I changed out the tube and made it home without further incident, and I still do not know what caused the puncture. The hole turned out to be plumb in the middle of the tread. I must have ridden over something sharp, that penetrated the tube without embedding itself in the tyre.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:27 pm

First puncture of 2018.
2 week old Conti GP4000s, got a small nail/tack in the front tyre at Church Point.
Yes there is construction there, but it seemed a bit small for a construction nail/tack.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

caneye

Postby caneye » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:51 am

#1 - Schwalbe Ultremo ZX. Rear tyre. It was a slow leak. I only realised the rear tyre was flat as I was pulling into my driveway after an 80km ride. phew ..
No visible puncture on tyre. Leak was coming from a seam on the tube. I'm attributing it to the tube itself (Conti Race 28 Light tube).

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:31 pm

Puncture #15 on Thursday on my MTB. Slow leak on front that turned out to be a fairy pube. My first few kms had been on the M5 and my later ones were on back streets that rarely see a truck, and so it seems fairly clear where I got it.

Puncture #16 on Friday on my road bike was a pinch flat caused by riding over a piece of debris on the M5 (where else?). On a positive note I managed to repair the tube successfully, which is by no means certain when I try to fix the twin holes of a pinch flat.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:06 am

20180306 - rear tyre, michelin power endurance. no idea what got it. didn't find anything. can't find any obvious holes
Old total: 1
20180322 - front tyre. I hit a stick about 1km from home last night. It obviously punctured the tube as it was flat when i went to the garage this morning. I put a new tyre on while i was at it. Michelin power competition
New total: 2

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 am

Philistine wrote: Puncture #16 on Friday on my road bike was a .
I would throw a tantrum.
You need tubeless, they are magical.

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:02 am

Catching up. March has been decent. Due new rubber this weekend though. 1 set every ~6 weeks :roll: Tubeless sounds like a nice idea but spending $130 for a pair of tubeless tyres every 6 weeks does not. Neither does rotating tyres every 3 weeks. Currently running $35 tyres so swapping them out every 6 weeks is easier to stomach...

#12: 7/3 Standard retread on the M4 westbound about 100m short of my off ramp :roll:
#13: 15/3 A slow leaker from the day before. There was enough air in the front tyre that i didn't notice when I rolled out, but it quickly dropped air. A few hairy moments as i raced to make my train on a soft, but not flat tyre and I repaired it in the carriage.
#14: 24/3 Rode from home to Surry Hills (~70km) for breakfast along the GWH with no issues. At breakfast, rolled a few KMs from Surry to uni and managed to pick up a staple and rode a softie into the carpark.

Also, just passed 5000km for the year so I'm averaging a flat every ~350km which is ok I guess all things considered

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, make sure you are up-to-date as the Q1 2018 prize draw closes in a few days at the end of this month.

Of course last minute entries with dozens of punctures will be ignored.. but if you didn't signup in time... signup now for the next draws in Q2 of 2018.

As a side note... march83.... you must be picking a rotten line and aiming for the glass shards, what is going on?
Cycling is in my BNA

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:33 pm

I ride on the M4 EVERY SINGLE DAY and it never gets swept. With all the construction going on along there there seems to be more debris than normal and I'm pretty sure they've cut right back on routine maintenance. Also, I average like 450km a week so it's inevitable.

On that note:

#15: 27/3 The old in and out somewhere near Cumberland Hwy on the M4.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:36 pm

@march83 - have you tried using tyre liners? might help.

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Na, I used to use them, but these days I'd rather change a flat a week than ride something that feels crappy and slow. If it takes me longer than 8-10 minutes to change a flat these days including stopping, finding the wire or whatever caused it, swapping out the tube, inflating it and rolling up to speed again then something must have gone wrong. Putting up with a crappy ride the rest of the time isn't worth it to me.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:31 pm

March- do you carry a spare tyre?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:07 pm

Woo Hoo - I get to enter!
#1 Caltrop/DoubleGee in Innaloo 2018-03-19
(Murphy says I'll now get six more in the next week)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:15 pm

Well, it has been a crazy three months for me and flats.

I have now had this year (as of this morning) 9 flats. I have had chunks of glass shred my Vittoria Corsa tyres, I have now gone through 2 pairs (4 tyres) and one Conti GP4000s II. All 28s.

There goes my great average. Pretty much almost no flats for the previous two years.

I am in disbelief. I have a huge pile of tubes. Sigh.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:04 pm

jasonc wrote:March- do you carry a spare tyre?
For commuting: 3 tubes, 3 co2 cannisters and a hand pump. Once in the past 10 years I've been stranded and needed the team car to get me home on a work day.

On the weekends I just take a tube and co2 because I almost never flat when I'm not on the m4 (surprise, surprise)

Daus

Postby Daus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:23 pm

The puncture gods finally caught up with me- rarely do I take the MTB to my local gym but it was raining here on the soggy coast. When exiting the gym noticed the rear tyre was as flat, no worries out with the spare tube, checked the tyre carefully before fitting went to inflate the tyre and it didn't go up. I initially assumed I missed something but on checking the tube found a big perished crack on the year old new tube. Luckily the local bike shop is in the same complex so replaced the tube again and after carefully examining the tyre replaced the tube- all was good on inflation and you all know what's coming right- just a couple of kms from home flat again. Walked home removed the tyre and washed the mud and dirt from the treads and found a glass dagger 7mm long 2mm wide with a point at the end that only protruded inside with weight on it. I really have to avoid Kawana Way the bogans seem to get something out of smashing bottles against the bridge.

Daus

Postby Daus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm back again, wet roads and glass, this time on a club ride on my road bike. The front tyre punctured quickly, luckily I found the offender nicely lodged in the centre of the tread- pulled it out, spare tube in and it was good to go. I hope to have appeased the puncture gods in the last few days with my offerings 2 CO2 cartridges and 3 tubes :D

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:45 pm

First one in some years today, a piece of wire that penetrated both sides of the tube.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:47 am

Hmmmm, seems my earlier post has only reduced the frequency.

Bike hasn't moved since Thursday night, and the front was fine when I left it. Walked out this morning to find the rim on the ground :?

Total = 2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:55 pm

Argh - got a puncture this afternoon, patch of smashed glass and couldn't avoid it due to a car shoving its way past. :evil:

Replaced the tube, put the tyre back on with all the swearing and cursing in the world and much effort, crawled back home. So much for a nics short afternoon 40km ride.

Total = don't care, don't want to know.

Don't want to be even on this particular tally. :oops:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Congratulations forum member Philistine who has tallied the most punctures.

The next round hasnow kicked off. To help, when posting, track your totals and put dates next to each one. If there is a tue-breaker, the member with the most details / photos wins.
Cycling is in my BNA

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:30 am

AUbicycles wrote:Congratulations forum member Philistine who has tallied the most punctures.
I am thrilled to receive the Black cat Award for Q1 2018. I am slightly less thrilled about the multiple events that have contributed to my getting it. I believe I have learned a few things about punctures that I didn't know when the competition round started, and I shall fire up the keyboard in due course to share my new-found knowledge with my fellow posters (I almost typed "wisdom" instead of "knowledge" but that would have been a stretch).