Winter Gloves

Neddysmith

Winter Gloves

Postby Neddysmith » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:52 am

Hey Guys,

As the daylight hours are getting shorter it means that slowly but surely the colder winter months are approaching and this year unlike last year i want to be a little more prepared.....

So with this in mind, me and my fingers would appreciate everyone's advice on what gloves you are using for those cold morning or night rides..........

Cheers

vaypaz

Re: Winter Gloves

Postby vaypaz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm

I use the dhb Long Finger Windproof Cycling Gloves which I find to be a nice tight fit. Do the job for 2+ degrees, but below that, and particularly on a descent, my fingers start to feel the pain. I'll be looking to purchase some warmer gloves this winter for those sub 0 degree mornings.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:05 pm

I've had a pair of Limar 'Touch' full fingered gloves going for the past few years which have been awesome. Mind you I ride in Melbourne so sub zero temperatures aren't really an issue.

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Really depends on what you are calling cold?

Sydney Northern Beaches; defeet duragloves work for me. But it only ever gets into negative temps on a small section of Maccarrs Creek road early in the morning when its probably 4-5c everywhere else in winter.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Neddysmith wrote:Hey Guys,

As the daylight hours are getting shorter it means that slowly but surely the colder winter months are approaching ....
Well, I dunno what you mean by approaching, in Adelaide, it's still 39 degrees ...... :P

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:44 pm

^ Neddy must live in Liawenee.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 pm

I have three winter gloves and two which I can recommend.

For lighter gloves, I have some beautiful prendas track cycling gloves. The problem is that I don't see them on their site any more. However can still recommend this brand as their gloves are really well made (I also have two fingerless) and it is worth a look. The track gloves had no padding - very lightweight, comfortable and elegant. I can use them for longer trips, probably down to 10 degrees but below that, they are two lightweight and I prefer padding. They are brilliant as my short distance commuter gloves.

Prendas Gloves

The second glove is also from the UK, a brand I review on BNA, Phew.
Review – Phew Cycling Gloves stop the Winter Chill

I can ride with this at zero degrees (and right now it is damn cold in Europe) and not have frozen hands at the end of the ride. But they also feel relatively light and comfortable. It is a finer type of glove as opposed to gloves with heavy duty straps or leather or padding which may be robust, but can be uncomfortable and inconvenient.

Cycling is in my BNA

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:10 pm

not so long since lived in the north of England and used to think 10 degrees pleasant and mild, in winter a few degrees below all day not unusual - my weapon of choice for those conditions neoprene gloves with silk gloves underneath - here in Melbourne seen 2 frosts in 5 years - for colder mornings I'll wear silk liners when can find them or thin running type gloves under my fingerless mitts and take them off when it warms up oh yes and think it is rule 5

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Aldi ski gloves.
Not fashionable.
Not chic.
Not expensive.
Not cold :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm in Brisbane, so it's not that cold.

I have some Aldi winter cycling gloves. Fairly lightweight, and with pads on three fingers so that you can operate a smartphone.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 pm

RobertL wrote:I'm in Brisbane, so it's not that cold.

I have some Aldi winter cycling gloves. Fairly lightweight, and with pads on three fingers so that you can operate a smartphone.
I have some of them too. Useless below about 5c for my hands.
The ski gloves are good for -3 or so.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 am

warthog1 wrote:I have some of them too. Useless below about 5c for my hands.
I would see 5c maybe once or twice a year, on a pre-dawn start to my coldest winter rides. Those rides probably end at about 15 - 20c, so I don't even see the cold temps for very long.

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 am

RobertL wrote:
I would see 5c maybe once or twice a year, on a pre-dawn start to my coldest winter rides. Those rides probably end at about 15 - 20c, so I don't even see the cold temps for very long.
Lucky you, here in Melb in the outer suburbs, i know some rides have ended and it may have just got to 5c.......hence why im looking for some winter gloves..

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 am

Neddysmith wrote:
RobertL wrote:
Lucky you, here in Melb in the outer suburbs, i know some rides have ended and it may have just got to 5c.......hence why im looking for some winter gloves..
Yep - Brisbane is where all those traditional "summer" sports - cycling, golf, tennis, cricket etc - are actually better in winter. It's cooler, less humid and with less rain.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Neddysmith wrote:Hey Guys,

As the daylight hours are getting shorter it means that slowly but surely the colder winter months are approaching and this year unlike last year i want to be a little more prepared.....

So with this in mind, me and my fingers would appreciate everyone's advice on what gloves you are using for those cold morning or night rides..........

Cheers
It's not cold yet - but Specialized do very good winter gloves, so do Cuore. The Cuore ones are a little less bulky, but still warm enough. They were fine in 0 degrees C and hours of pouring rain last year.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Neddysmith wrote:
RobertL wrote:
Melbourne’s not too bad.. only see below zero a dozen or so times a year :-)

K

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:41 am

I too am trying to track down some gloves to keep my fingers warm. They are like ice currently. Being in Brisbane I really don't want to spend much because I figure its not cold for very long here.

Anyone got any cheap (under $20) suggestions for some gloves to keep my fingers warm.

I tried to get some of those Aldi Touchscreen gloves in the snow sale, but missed out unfortunately.

I'm also looking of something on a budget to stop my ears freezing as well - so any cheap ear warmer suggestions also welcome!

westab

Postby westab » Mon May 21, 2018 9:58 am

warthog1 wrote:Aldi ski gloves.
Not fashionable.
Not chic.
Not expensive.
Not cold :)
+1

work well as do the ski gloves from Costco (same deal)
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

westab

Postby westab » Mon May 21, 2018 10:09 am

fergy1987 wrote:I too am trying to track down some gloves to keep my fingers warm. They are like ice currently. Being in Brisbane I really don't want to spend much because I figure its not cold for very long here.

Anyone got any cheap (under $20) suggestions for some gloves to keep my fingers warm.

I tried to get some of those Aldi Touchscreen gloves in the snow sale, but missed out unfortunately.

I'm also looking of something on a budget to stop my ears freezing as well - so any cheap ear warmer suggestions also welcome!
I use a think kmart beanie under the helmet for the really cold days - the not so cold ones I use a bandanna purchased from Canteen (keeps me warm enough in Sydney's western suburbs and helps kids with cancer - purchase from here please https://www.canteen.org.au/shop/)
There is a bit of a trick to securing around your ears but if I can do it I'm sure that your can as well.
At $5 each I think they are great value - with more than 30 to pick you will find one to suit.

(please note I have no affiliation with Canteen other than buying their Bandannas)
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon May 21, 2018 11:01 am

fergy1987 wrote:I too am trying to track down some gloves to keep my fingers warm. They are like ice currently. Being in Brisbane I really don't want to spend much because I figure its not cold for very long here.

I have some Aldi winter cycling gloves. Full fingers, warm enough for Brisbane, and they have a plastic coating on the fingertips so that you can use a smartphone. They cost either $15 or $20 (I don't remember exactly.)

However, being Aldi, they only sell them once a year, so keep an eye out - or subscribe to their emails, Facebook page etc.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon May 21, 2018 11:38 am

Aldi snow gloves are there now.
They were the weekends Special Buy, still heaps.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon May 21, 2018 11:57 am

Cycling buff <-- I use it to wrap around my ears when it's very cold. On the same ride, once the weather warms up, you can continue to use it as a headband/bandanna, etc

btw . .Aldi ski/snow sale just started 2 days ago :D

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon May 21, 2018 12:21 pm

100% gloves bought cheap off c r c

For my ears I have a rectangle of polar fleece with the short edges sewn together to form a tube that fits snug over my head.

It keeps the cold air off the front but let's the hot air out that back so you don't overheat. Works all the way down to the minus 1 mornings we have around here.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:16 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Aldi snow gloves are there now.
They were the weekends Special Buy, still heaps.
Yeah I went into my local yesterday and they have a whole bunch of the giant Ski gloves, which are way too bulky, but nothing else unfortunately

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 21, 2018 2:19 pm

I am a big fan of sealskinz all weather gloves