Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

twowheels

Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby twowheels » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:21 am

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsr ... 4/26/7134/
NSW Police Force’s Operation Pedro has drifted from its focus of cyclist and pedestrian safety to become a targeted bike rider sting.

The latest operation held this week on Monday 23 April saw 258 fines handed to bike riders. This is an increase of more than 61% when compared to the 160 fines from the previous Pedro in December 2017.

Particularly concerning were the number of fines handed out to bike riders using footpaths. 69 fines were handed out, a more than 100% increase.

New South Wales is one of only two Australian states that outlaws footpath bike riding for people over 12 years old. It spends only 0.6 per cent of its transport budget on bikes, and as an article in today’s Sydney Morning Herald highlighted, serious injuries for bike riders are increasing.

To avoid dangerous and uncomfortable areas, bike riders use the footpath, but now this refuge is being targeted by police.

Bicycle Network Chief Executive Officer Craig Richards said that New South Wales needs to pull its head out of the sand.

“People deserve the freedom to be able to go out and ride a bike, feel safe and not worry that the police will be ready and waiting to sting them,” said Mr Richards.

“New South Wales needs to wake up to the idea that bikes are part of modern, liveable cities. Bike riders need to be encouraged, not fined.”

The anti-bike-rider tone of Operation Pedro was made clear in the Facebook post by the police’s Traffic and Highway Patrol Command that revealed the results.

Read more: Furious cyclists demand police focus on dangerous drivers, not helmets - Sydney Morning Herald
The post noted that police fined a number of riders using share bikes that didn’t supply helmets and included the below quote without attribution to an officer.

“If you wish to hire a rental bike, then only hire a bike with a helmet or wear a $330 fine” No helmet, No hire.

The 258 bike rider fines will put more than $65,000 into the NSW Police Force’s coffers, but due to minimal information it is hard get a similar understanding of fines to other road users.

143 fines were handed out for ‘other traffic offences’, a catch-all term that can only be assumed is used to categorise motor vehicle offences.

It does not give any information on how many fines may have been handed out for drivers not observing minimum passing distance laws.

“It is ironic to think that virtually the only thing NSW has done to make bike riding more comfortable was not enforced on the day that is supposed to focus on bike rider safety,” added Mr Richards.

“We are calling on NSW Police to enforce minimum passing distance an dangerous driving laws, not just during special operations but on all occasions.”

Operation Pedro results
23 April 2018
Cyclists disobey traffic control lights – 43
Cyclists ride on footpath – 69
Cyclists not wear safety helmets – 103
Cyclists other offences – 43
Pedestrian offences – 65
Cautions issued – 65
Other traffic offences – 143
Charges laid - 2 (Warrant & Breach of Bail)

Total bike rider fines: 258

5 December 2017
Cyclists disobey traffic control lights – 59
Cyclists ride on footpath – 34
Cyclists not wear helmet – 56
Cyclists other offences – 11
Pedestrian offences – 70
Other traffic offences – 208

Total bike rider fines: 160
Last edited by twowheels on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

find_bruce

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby find_bruce » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:53 am

It is always more interesting if you include a quote from the source & perhaps a comment as to why you are posting the link.

Personally I find this quote interesting
Bicycle Victoria wrote:NSW Police Force’s Operation Pedro has drifted from its focus of cyclist and pedestrian safety to become a targeted bike rider sting.
I am not aware of any evidence that operation Pedro was anything other than a targeted bike rider sting.

The linked Traffic & Highway Command post notable for its change of language - cyclists are no longer booked for not wearing a helmet - it is now a "safety helmet"

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:59 am

This won't be helping the tourism industry much, either. The message is: come to Australia, and be forced to wear helmets while riding rental bikes, or face a ridiculously high fine. Word will get around, and potential tourists not already put off by the long distance to travel will be put off by this.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:09 pm

Additional statistic, in the 2017 operation it was 2.3 charges per cyclist charged. For 2018 this dropped to 1.8. Would have left a large hole in the wallet if you were one of the ones charged.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Arrrh. Look at this criminal! :shock:
Cyclophiliac wrote:This won't be helping the tourism industry much, either.
IDK, surely they will be much more likely to come now they know that dangerous criminals like the guy pictured above are off the street. ;) :(

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:05 pm

find_bruce wrote:It is always more interesting if you include a quote from the source & perhaps a comment as to why you are posting the link.

Personally I find this quote interesting
Bicycle Victoria wrote:NSW Police Force’s Operation Pedro has drifted from its focus of cyclist and pedestrian safety to become a targeted bike rider sting.
I am not aware of any evidence that operation Pedro was anything other than a targeted bike rider sting.

The linked Traffic & Highway Command post notable for its change of language - cyclists are no longer booked for not wearing a helmet - it is now a "safety helmet"
Not always. Sometimes I believe it better if people read the source material and form their own opinion.

I came across this story via another online forum. A member posted that despite wearing a helmet he was stopped & his helmet inspected for an Australian compliance sticker.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:14 pm

When putting links, please include a description, at least describing what the link is about or add quotes or context... at minimum saying why it is relevant and worthwhile reading.

Everyone will find their own opinion.
Cycling is in my BNA

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:49 pm

AUbicycles wrote:When putting links, please include a description, at least describing what the link is about or add quotes or context... at minimum saying why it is relevant and worthwhile reading.

Everyone will find their own opinion.
Edited

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Targeting people for riding on the footpath especially when they are doing it to avoid riding on a dangerous road is one of the lowest of all low acts.

Absolutely despicable and dishonourable.

That must stop immediately.

The sooner we get rid of this current government the better for our safety on the roads.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:19 am

Thanks for updatinv twowheels.(saved me a click).

Important that the outrage is visible because the objective should be safety... but these misdemeanors, the size of the fines and targeting don’t really have the connection to the right objective which is safety and reducing injury and deaths.

What is happening with all of those illegal passes, if there was the same effort in enforcing the 1m passing distance then it would be easier to accept... but there isn’t.
Cycling is in my BNA

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:51 pm

https://www.facebook.com/SafeCyclingAus ... 387717591/

Nice threatening behaviour by NSW cops towards a cyclist.....

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:14 pm

human909 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/SafeCyclingAus ... 387717591/

That's why we all must use video cameras at all times, preferably multiple ones.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:40 pm

If Operational Pedro is targeting safety then it would of included policing the 1mtr/1.5mtr rule. I highly doubt that any of those pinged under that law were due to Police imitative, only some of the video's submitted.

And in regards to the hire bikes, how many arrests have the Police made in regards to the safety helmets been stolen? After all this is more then theft, its theft and safety.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

BJL

Postby BJL » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:26 pm

It's nothing more than cyclists being an easy and popular target for police. Whenever police target motorists, it's a 'witch hunt' and 'revenue raising' but when it's cyclists the torches and pitchforks come out in support of police. Maybe it makes the police feel good for a day. A 'mental health' day for police? Make them feel like they're actually doing some good in society by fining all those devil worshiping, children sacrificing pagan cyclists. :twisted:

And the actual number of fines dished out is completely meaningless. I noticed they handed out less fines to pedestrians this year than they did last year but if the police were just targeting cyclists while turning a blind eye to 1000 pedestrians crossing the road illegally, then there's no meaning to the actual numbers.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Yes. It is really bizarre that the police are announcing and using fines as a measure of effectiveness.

Lets get back to the simple basics:
-What is your goal? (Apparently cyclist safety)
-How are you going about achieving this goal? (Apparently it is by fining cyclists.)
-How are you measuring whether you are achieving your goal. (By counting the number of fines.)

Wait. HUH!? I'm sorry but it seems that we have lunatics in charge of the NSW police.

How about measuring the effectiveness of your approach by measures of cyclists safety. Deaths, injuries and talking to actual cyclists.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:52 pm

103 fines would not have applied if

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:08 pm

human909 wrote:Yes. It is really bizarre that the police are announcing and using fines as a measure of effectiveness.

Lets get back to the simple basics:
-What is your goal? (Apparently cyclist safety)
-How are you going about achieving this goal? (Apparently it is by fining cyclists.)
-How are you measuring whether you are achieving your goal. (By counting the number of fines.)

Wait. HUH!? I'm sorry but it seems that we have lunatics in charge of the NSW police.

How about measuring the effectiveness of your approach by measures of cyclists safety. Deaths, injuries and talking to actual cyclists.
The more riders you fine, the more aggressive you are towards them, the less there will be and then they don't have to address the elephant in the room, which is bad driver behaviour towards riders.

That last bit is never going to be done because the average motorist has far too much power politically, as do the motoring organisations. Governments taking tough action against them will be likely under heavy pressure, or lose power.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:36 am

I wonder how independent or connected the NSW police are with the NSW Government when deciding to target bike riders.

If the Government is pulling the strings, we need to criticise them instead. I don’t know myself however with the increase in fibe for bike riders we have seen an increase in specific operations against bike riders. We have also seen no specific operations towards motorists for the 1m / 1.5m safe overtaking but plenty of feedback that it is difficult to get any action when riders report, even with clear evidence.

Reducing cycling will reduce accidents but is also a crying shame with continues to take transport in the wrong direction, neither properly serving the community nor planning and building for the future if transport.
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:50 am

AUbicycles wrote:I wonder how independent or connected the NSW police are with the NSW Government when deciding to target bike riders.

If the Government is pulling the strings, we need to criticise them instead. I don’t know myself however with the increase in fibe for bike riders we have seen an increase in specific operations against bike riders. We have also seen no specific operations towards motorists for the 1m / 1.5m safe overtaking but plenty of feedback that it is difficult to get any action when riders report, even with clear evidence.

Reducing cycling will reduce accidents but is also a crying shame with continues to take transport in the wrong direction, neither properly serving the community nor planning and building for the future if transport.
You have to get the media making a big stink about it. If something is a media issue then of course the MO will force the relevant Departments to take action. MOs hate negative media.

So if you have sympathetic media elements or can drum up a big story...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:35 am

human909 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/SafeCyclingAus ... 387717591/

I don't get it. What did the cyclist do wrong?

Edit Never mind, found it. No helmet. Old mate got unlucky there :lol:

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:44 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:This won't be helping the tourism industry much, either. The message is: come to Australia, and be forced to wear helmets while riding rental bikes, or face a ridiculously high fine. Word will get around, and potential tourists not already put off by the long distance to travel will be put off by this.
I don't think there would be many tourists travelling to Sydney who would change their mind because of the rules associated with the bike rental scheme. I would imagine that in the list of things to do in NSW: Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Blue Mountains, Bondi Beach, Kangaroos and Koalas etc etc etc, riding a hire bike around Sydney CBD is probably fairly low on the the list.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:04 pm

djw47 wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:This won't be helping the tourism industry much, either. The message is: come to Australia, and be forced to wear helmets while riding rental bikes, or face a ridiculously high fine. Word will get around, and potential tourists not already put off by the long distance to travel will be put off by this.
I don't think there would be many tourists travelling to Sydney who would change their mind because of the rules associated with the bike rental scheme. I would imagine that in the list of things to do in NSW: Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Blue Mountains, Bondi Beach, Kangaroos and Koalas etc etc etc, riding a hire bike around Sydney CBD is probably fairly low on the the list.
I never quantified the impact, I just said that in my opinion there would be an impact.

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:33 pm

I reported a close pass to the cops...

Took details, called back an hour later & said they couldnt do anything. "unsure of who the driver was, been a while since it happened" (well within 6months)
(proof was rock solid, clear line markings, car & bike tyres visible on crossing markings for measuring - all perfect)

I said sure no worries, just need the incident number.
calls back & then have to make a statement.

All filed away :)

syu

Postby syu » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:47 pm

twowheels wrote:Furious cyclists demand.....
Careful, you wouldn't want to be fined for riding furiously.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:02 pm

djw47 wrote: I don't think there would be many tourists travelling to Sydney who would change their mind because of the rules associated with the bike rental scheme.
Word of mouth, someone gets a $350 fine for using a bikeshare, that's going to hurt their review of Australia as a destination.
They don't even have to mention the fine, just puts a bad taste in their mouth which damages their overall opinion of the country.
It's already such an expensive trip, doesn't take much to cost us visitors.

Fining foreigners achieves nothing. They have travel insurance, big bucks for private hospitals when they crash.