Super Mod

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:02 pm

duncanm wrote:
Thoglette wrote:
duncanm wrote:Hoon-level illegal driving on public roads = bad
Law abiding cycling on public roads = good
Fixed it for you.
That I agree with 100% - but as I said, its all speculation.
It's not speculation that the cyclist was hit and the driver has been formally charged.

From the information that is available it appears that the driver was exceeding the speed where the vehicle could safely be stopped within the visibility and capabilities of the vehicle while on a test drive. We will have to wait for the conclusion of the court case to know exactly what happened
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:09 pm

duncanm wrote:The hypocrisy is amusing:

Recreational driving on public roads = bad
Recreational cycling on public roads = good
Umm....

You do not see the subtleties of the distinction between these two activities? In public road safety terms?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:02 am

Thoglette, your modified version is spot-on.

There is a big differences in becoming a threat to other people.
Cycling is in my BNA

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:26 pm

Anyone know what happened to this one?

Haven't been able to find any recent news/updates.

Thanks

Snowie1

Postby Snowie1 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:28 pm

https://onlineregistry.lawlink.nsw.gov. ... Hungerford

R v AMELIA HUNGERFORD
Date 07 May
Time 9:30 am
Case number 2018/00276185
List number 8
Location Sydney Downing Centre
Room Downing Centre Crt 5.2 Downing Ctr

Couldn't find anything further, but I am not experienced with these court lists etc.

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Thu May 16, 2019 5:59 pm

Any updates on this one?

could only find links to a few articles on the incident
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... court.html

this one's behind a paywall
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subsc ... de=premium

https://latteluxurynews.com/2019/03/18/ ... ve-editor/
Supporting these experts is Staff Sub-editor and Assistant Editor of Signature Luxury Travel & Style, Amelia Hungerford. Having completed her internship with Signature Media five years ago, she has become a full-time member of the team, working alongside and learning from the industry’s finest editors. With a background in English and linguistics, she is respected for her fastidious approach to grammar, her distinctive storytelling, her passion for travel and her ability to recall exactly which issue featured what story. Amelia works across all Signature Media titles, both print and online.
I note that "latte luxury news" has a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/latteluxurynews/

It is also possible to offer them feedback.

https://latteluxurynews.com/

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsr ... ive-smash/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:39 pm

The rider who was hit is known to/associated with the Waratah Masters Cycling Club, perhaps they could provide some insight?

Amelia Hungerford appears to still be writing for Signature Luxury Lifestyle Magazine.
Last edited by AUbicycles on Fri May 17, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 17, 2019 1:03 am

The rider who was hit has been named by some publications, though there were also consideration by much of the media not to name the rider so for this reason, (as the admin) I amended the previous post.

The Waratah Masters would not be able to provide info out of respect / friendship - if they get an ok, I expect they may publish news / newsletter info.

--

Regarding the media outlet, they are not really an organisation that can be naturally be accountable - though it would been good practice to acknowledge it even with a generic announcement that they are cooperating with authorities. I don't blame them for avoiding all public comment / response entirely.

However the entities who need to show accountability are the publicity company who organised the event and McLaren. In past McLaren reviews in different publications - drivers/reviewers have 'suggested' that they were able to test the capabilities of the performance sports car in areas including West Head. While it may formally not be permitted, there has been a trend and it has been tolerated.

In addition McLaren themselves have a responsibility particularly when there is a tradition of testing these cars and breaking the law on public roads. This should be a statement that the event was conducted against the policies and requirements that were set and that there would be an internal review or consequences for the agency or journalists. For example... all performance tests at the race track and any tests on public roads conducted under observation.

If McLaren don't publicly reprimand or apologise, then it akin to accepting this activity...
Cycling is in my BNA

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri May 17, 2019 9:13 am

AUbicycles wrote:Regarding the media outlet, they are not really an organisation that can be naturally be accountable - though it would been good practice to acknowledge it even with a generic announcement that they are cooperating with authorities. I don't blame them for avoiding all public comment / response entirely.
To a point, I disagree. If you were aware (note: they may not be if said writer has changed organisations since the incident?) that your employee had been charged with this yet didn't own up to it, they could very well become a liability to your business if they then lost their license for a period of time. Not to mention credibility, in an industry where cred seems to be king. To acknowledge that one of your employees was involved (even with weasel words like 'we are aware' and 'before the courts') would be, to me, the most basic of PR.
AUbicycles wrote:However the entities who need to show accountability are the publicity company who organised the event and McLaren. In past McLaren reviews in different publications - drivers/reviewers have 'suggested' that they were able to test the capabilities of the performance sports car in areas including West Head. While it may formally not be permitted, there has been a trend and it has been tolerated.

In addition McLaren themselves have a responsibility particularly when there is a tradition of testing these cars and breaking the law on public roads. This should be a statement that the event was conducted against the policies and requirements that were set and that there would be an internal review or consequences for the agency or journalists. For example... all performance tests at the race track and any tests on public roads conducted under observation.

If McLaren don't publicly reprimand or apologise, then it akin to accepting this activity...
I notice McLaren Sydney (who I understand were the organisers) appear to have removed all 'visitor posts' from their FB page now. I can't find that option anywhere. So the few queries submitted after the event are lost in the sands of digital time. They also appear to have significantly stripped back their page, with all speed-related items now being track day photos.

Jim

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 am

familyguy wrote: I notice McLaren Sydney (who I understand were the organisers) appear to have removed all 'visitor posts' from their FB page now.
The Ministry of Truth effect is a real problem: businesses are entirely free to both delete their own stuff and demand take-downs of "their intellectual property".

While papers are not supposed to do this, webpage reorganisations can make, ah, uncomfortable, news very difficult to find.

You need to archive stuff while it exists.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 17, 2019 1:48 pm

AUbicycles wrote:If McLaren don't publicly reprimand or apologise, then it akin to accepting this activity...
Somehow I doubt that they will do that as it could be seen as admitting that they were happy to allow journalists to break the law
familyguy wrote:I notice McLaren Sydney (who I understand were the organisers) appear to have removed all 'visitor posts' from their FB page now. I can't find that option anywhere. So the few queries submitted after the event are lost in the sands of digital time. They also appear to have significantly stripped back their page, with all speed-related items now being track day photos
I'm guessing that by blocking FB comments they are trying to both distance themselves from what happened and suppress related information

Hopefully the one good thing to come out of this is that they have learnt that it is unacceptable to promote a product outside of the boundaries of the law hence performance being limited to motorsport venues
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri May 17, 2019 6:58 pm

To be fair to McLaren, what a third party does with their product is out of their control.
Do gun manufacturers issue an apology every time someone commits an armed robbery of shoots someone using one of their guns?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Ross wrote:To be fair to McLaren, what a third party does with their product is out of their control.
Do gun manufacturers issue an apology every time someone commits an armed robbery of shoots someone using one of their guns?
McLaren were fully aware their cars were being tested in a National Park used by many cyclists.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Ross wrote:Do gun manufacturers issue an apology every time someone commits an armed robbery of shoots someone using one of their guns?
Just because they don’t doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be.

We need ~700hp cars like we need assault rifles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 17, 2019 9:21 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Ross wrote:Do gun manufacturers issue an apology every time someone commits an armed robbery of shoots someone using one of their guns?

We don’t even need 100hp cars, yet most people have cars that can top 200km/h? Why is that necessary - I don’t see a lot of riders questioning the fact their car can do that.

A 1000hp Mclaren can drive just as safely and slowly as a little Kia Picanto or Suzuki Ignis. The car (with some rare exceptions) isn’t dangerous, the person controlling it is.

Getting rid of 700hp cars will stop accidents involving 700hp cars. But there will still be accidents until you just remove all cars completely.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri May 17, 2019 11:11 pm

P!N20 wrote:

.. or $15000 bicycles.

what's your point?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri May 17, 2019 11:12 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Hopefully the one good thing to come out of this is that they have learnt that it is unacceptable to promote a product outside of the boundaries of the law hence performance being limited to motorsport venues
agreed -- they should be promoting 'sporty driving' of their vehicles on the track, and safe, legal driving on the roads.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri May 17, 2019 11:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:A 1000hp Mclaren can drive just as safely and slowly as a little Kia Picanto or Suzuki Ignis. The car (with some rare exceptions) isn’t dangerous, the person controlling it is.
Maaaate... no one ever builds, buys, or drives a high performance car so they can modestly practise the sensible economies to be had by driving 15 km/h under the limit on the way to pick up some doilies from the tea-cozy shop. That’s like saying whisky can be helpful to hydrate when you’re thirsty, its just that some people don’t stop after the first thimbleful.

These things have a purpose. They are built that way for a reason. And that reason is not to be an economy car that costs a half-million dollars.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 18, 2019 6:50 am

Howzat wrote:
g-boaf wrote:A 1000hp Mclaren can drive just as safely and slowly as a little Kia Picanto or Suzuki Ignis. The car (with some rare exceptions) isn’t dangerous, the person controlling it is.
Maaaate... no one ever builds, buys, or drives a high performance car so they can modestly practise the sensible economies to be had by driving 15 km/h under the limit on the way to pick up some doilies from the tea-cozy shop. That’s like saying whisky can be helpful to hydrate when you’re thirsty, its just that some people don’t stop after the first thimbleful.

These things have a purpose. They are built that way for a reason. And that reason is not to be an economy car that costs a half-million dollars.
A cheap Hatchback can do equally as much damage as an expensive powerful car. The driver is the factor.

A hatchback or other small car that can go 200km/h (as just about any of them will) is equally as dangerous in the hands of an aggressive, careless driver.

A Nissan X-Trail with a driver using his phone while driving is dangerous to cyclists as well. Yet nobody is complaining about those cars.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat May 18, 2019 8:09 am

Howzat wrote:Maaaate... no one ever builds, buys, or drives a high performance car so they can modestly practise the sensible economies to be had by driving 15 km/h under the limit on the way to pick up some doilies from the tea-cozy shop.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My old mum used to make tea-cozies. She wouldn't dream of buying the doilies. DIY all the way. :D
Your argument is flawed. :D

Work in progress;
Last edited by Tim on Sat May 18, 2019 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

skull

Postby skull » Sat May 18, 2019 8:53 am

duncanm wrote: .. or $15000 bicycles.

what's your point?
wowowow

just watch it with that type of language.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sat May 18, 2019 10:30 am

Ross wrote:To be fair to McLaren, what a third party does with their product is out of their control.
nope, but they will issue an apology and even compensation if they give their product for a test, and then that tester decides to test shooting a target in a busy area full of people, injuring a nperson in the process

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sat May 18, 2019 10:43 am

g-boaf wrote: A cheap Hatchback can do equally as much damage as an expensive powerful car. The driver is the factor.

A hatchback or other small car that can go 200km/h (as just about any of them will) is equally as dangerous in the hands of an aggressive, careless driver.
Right. It's the same as how you can be badly hurt at a sausage-sizzle, yet will the council let me drive my Sherman tank down around the park? Nooooo! It's the busy-body, red-tape-loving nanny-state fun-police, I tell you.

BTW You ought to leave the dinky hatchback in the driveway and try driving a sports car one day. You can rent them. Big difference, a lot of fun, and it's funny how they really do like to go fast, vroom vroom. It sometimes seems almost like they were built that way... and like they might even change how you drive. Crazy talk, right?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:32 am

duncanm wrote:what's your point?
That McLaren should be taking some of the responsibility for putting a high performance vehicle in the hands of an amateur driver on a public road who seriously injured somebody.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat May 18, 2019 5:03 pm

g-boaf wrote: A hatchback or other small car that can go 200km/h (as just about any of them will) is equally as dangerous in the hands of an aggressive, careless driver.
As a regular user of a Getz and a lapsed CAMS licence holder, whose quickest drive wasn't in the same universe as the McLaren I say: Rofl!

Now, the Getz is certainly a whole lot quicker than my old Morry Major but one has to try extremely hard to get it moving quickly enough to make one have to think ahead. And even harder to keep it there.

The old F1 did 0-100 in 3.2 seconds - presuming typical office dweller car skills, poor old luxury-lifestyle journo would only have needed to breathe on the throttle to get it going faster than her head could spin. As for having the faintest clue as what to do next..... :shock:
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ