Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

gorilla monsoon

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 am

g-boaf wrote: Perhaps McLaren now needs to do what some other manufacturers do and have all the journos follow one of the official cars around, all cars have radios in them and journos must keep up with the official car, not allowed to go too fast, nor too slowly. This prevents any journos from doing anything too naughty. If anyone slows down too much the leader gives them a telling off over the radio.
That doesn't happen. Ever.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue May 22, 2018 4:29 pm

I read elsewhere that he is slowly recovering but is still in ICU
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri May 25, 2018 8:40 pm

I have just sent an email to http://www.sydney.mclaren.com/ regarding this.
Akuna Bay is where most mothers with young school children go , to ride their bikes. They go there to keep safe and be able to come home for their kids after school
Many men who have days off go there to get off the road so that they can come home to the family alive.
I am so angry about this that I think the National parks should stop these killing machines from speeding there. It will happen again if not worse. James was trying to keep safe, thats why he was in Akuna.
The more cyclists that send an email to the Mclaren web page and to the National Parks the better. They don't even see us as people.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 28, 2018 9:19 am

Apple wrote:I have just sent an email to http://www.sydney.mclaren.com/ regarding this.
Akuna Bay is where most mothers with young school children go , to ride their bikes. They go there to keep safe and be able to come home for their kids after school
Many men who have days off go there to get off the road so that they can come home to the family alive.
I am so angry about this that I think the National parks should stop these killing machines from speeding there. It will happen again if not worse. James was trying to keep safe, thats why he was in Akuna.
The more cyclists that send an email to the Mclaren web page and to the National Parks the better. They don't even see us as people.
Did you get a response?

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon May 28, 2018 10:14 am

g-boaf wrote:
Nate wrote:Has anyone tweeted or posted to the McLaren HQ page in home base?

FYI - posted on the Syd McLaren FB page
https://www.facebook.com/mclarensydney/

doubt it'll be approved to go public.
It did go live on there.
It's since disappeared. In fact they've deleted all posts bar one later than March 4. I'm sure that when I checked this the other week, there were a number of posts from May.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Mon May 28, 2018 1:36 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Nate wrote:Has anyone tweeted or posted to the McLaren HQ page in home base?

FYI - posted on the Syd McLaren FB page
https://www.facebook.com/mclarensydney/

doubt it'll be approved to go public.
It did go live on there.
It's since disappeared. In fact they've deleted all posts bar one later than March 4. I'm sure that when I checked this the other week, there were a number of posts from May.
No, its still there - you need to look at "Visitor Posts" (no response though)

Desmo

Postby Desmo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:47 am

I've been speaking with a ex-motoring journo friend of mine who says it wouldn't have been a journo but most likely a 'blogger' or Instagram 'influencer'. The non-jouno's drive was organised by a PR company called DEC PR and they are staying quiet. At last there's been a reference in the press. Cycle a.k.a the Australian Cycling Alliance are interested in looking into this too.

Desmo

Postby Desmo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:51 am

Newcastle Dave wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
It did go live on there.
No, its still there - you need to look at "Visitor Posts" (no response though)
Post is gone as far as i can tell. I looked in 'community' ?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:51 am

Desmo wrote: Cycle a.k.a the Australian Cycling Alliance are interested in looking into this too.
Who the heck are they? Their FAQ page is still boiler plate.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:03 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Desmo wrote: Cycle a.k.a the Australian Cycling Alliance are interested in looking into this too.
Who the heck are they? Their FAQ page is still boiler plate.
A fairly active grass roots organisation. From where I sit they are one of the few cycling bodies that haven't lost my respect. They engage with cyclists, councils and other cycling organisations.

http://www.cycle.org.au

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:24 pm

human909 wrote:A fairly active grass roots organisation. From where I sit they are one of the few cycling bodies that haven't lost my respect.
Thanks! Will look more closely

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:59 pm

You haven’t come across cycle.org?? :shock: Old mate Ed Hore seems genuine enough, but lost a heap of credibility when he jumped onto the Boulie cause and punted the ridiculously inflated cleaning costs around in my eyes at least. I think he and Safe Cycling had a sccxc fight here too.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Thoglette wrote:Thanks! Will look more closely
They are small but have managed to get a fair bit of media presence given their size. And have successfully advocated for key changes in some areas.

The most prominent success was their grass roots campaign following Alberto Paulon's death. At that stage Cycle was just starting out and they were overwhelmed at the turn out for the protest ride, organised in less than a week. (They were expected a hundred or so at first, it turned out to be several thousand people.)
fat and old wrote:Ed Hore seems genuine enough.
Totally genuine and normally quite non confrontational.
fat and old wrote:I think he and Safe Cycling had a sccxc fight here too.
Safe Cycling has managed to have a fight with almost everyone. Kudos to some of the work they've done but Dave has put plenty of noses out of joint.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:12 pm

human909 wrote: Safe Cycling has managed to have a fight with almost everyone. Kudos to some of the work they've done but Dave has put plenty of noses out of joint.
I used to follow the SCA Page, but Dave's "my way or the highway" confrontational approach was getting too much, and for my own sanity I had to leave. There were numerous fights with Cycle on issues where there shouldn't be disagreement. I got the feeling that SCA is not really in it for the good of cyclists, but only for big noting themselves. I don't have time for that.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Does anyone know the details of the collision?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:51 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Does anyone know the details of the collision?
See this earlier post

Desmo

Postby Desmo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 pm

human909 wrote:
Thoglette wrote:Thanks! Will look more closely
They are small but have managed to get a fair bit of media presence given their size. And have successfully advocated for key changes in some areas.

The most prominent success was their grass roots campaign following Alberto Paulon's death. At that stage Cycle was just starting out and they were overwhelmed at the turn out for the protest ride, organised in less than a week. (They were expected a hundred or so at first, it turned out to be several thousand people.)
fat and old wrote:Ed Hore seems genuine enough.
Totally genuine and normally quite non confrontational.
fat and old wrote:I think he and Safe Cycling had a sccxc fight here too.
Safe Cycling has managed to have a fight with almost everyone. Kudos to some of the work they've done but Dave has put plenty of noses out of joint.
Totally agree with this. I count Ed as a mate although we live in different cities and IMO he does great work. I'm not across what happened with the Boulie Tacker thingo.
Australian Cycling Alliance is a loose 'federation' of some advocacy groups, of which Cycle is the the most prominent, but there's one in most states.
I ignore SCA as Dave is not a nice person, from what I can gather doesn't actually ride a bicycle and is hyper aggressive and often does more harm than good in many instances. He also ahtes on people and attacks other advocacy groups on a regular basis.
Disclaimer: I'm a financial supporter of Cycle.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Absolutely a vacuum on Google.

I'm not surprised at the many posts on this thread stereotyping the driver much as motorists stereotype cyclists and assuming so much on it.

But I am more surprised at the lack of information after all this time. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but...
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Desmo

Postby Desmo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Desmo wrote:
human909 wrote: Safe Cycling has managed to have a fight with almost everyone. Kudos to some of the work they've done but Dave has put plenty of noses out of joint.
Totally agree with this. I count Ed as a mate although we live in different cities and IMO he does great work. I'm not across what happened with the Boulie Tacker thingo.
Australian Cycling Alliance is a loose 'federation' of some advocacy groups, of which Cycle is the the most prominent, but there's one in most states.
I ignore SCA as Dave is not a nice person, from what I can gather doesn't actually ride a bicycle and is hyper aggressive and often does more harm than good in many instances. He also ahtes on people and attacks other advocacy groups on a regular basis.
Disclaimer: I'm a financial supporter of Cycle.
Recent work by Cycle.org FB page, in cahoots with 'Drivers for registration of cyclists EXPOSED' has succeeded in exposing a large number of bike-hate pages and getting the evidence to discredit their lies.

Cycle wrote:The once was a page that was junk
Affecting many riders their funk
But eventually it died stupid
And many pages with it
And now theres a page that debunked...

OK, it is a bad poem, but no one thinks we are poets at Cycle.

But this is what we are talking about, the old hate pages seem to be almost done, and this is why we think they are dying...

We love bikes, and to love something takes no energy, you just love it.
But to hate, to truly hate, that takes a lot of energy, and so you need the hatred to spawn hatred, so when the main hate page to ever hit Facebook went dark and disappeared just when a reporter was calling on them for an interview, we were almost saddened that we never found out how an ex-cyclist can become the hater of something so easy to love. We can only hope he ran out of energy like all those copycat pages that were out there.

Drivers for registration of cyclists Exposed have done an amazing job exposing that page, and many others spawned from it. We support their activities by lending them our voice and helping them with research at times.

This one was a nasty one, an example of photoshop skills, profile theft and identity theft. All to protect someone that works in data security. Even we believed this was true, for a while.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:34 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Absolutely a vacuum on Google.

I'm not surprised at the many posts on this thread stereotyping the driver much as motorists stereotype cyclists and assuming so much on it.

But I am more surprised at the lack of information after all this time. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but...
I think DEC PR is the PR agency for a number of automobile brands here, so I'm not surprised at the silence. This would impact them pretty badly.

There are however journalists out there who do the right thing. If the scrutiny starts to bite the newspapers and traditional motoring journos, they'll surely find out who this person is and throw more light on the whole thing.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Desmo wrote:From the Cycle Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Cycle.Org.Au/p ... =3&theater
Any clues in there?
Last edited by biker jk on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:39 pm

g-boaf wrote:...
If the scrutiny starts to bite the newspapers and traditional motoring journos, they'll surely find out who this person is and throw more light on the whole thing.
I suspect you are right, and as they should. Serious incidents should not be hidden from view.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:02 pm

McLaren cars are not exactly run-of-the-mill stuff. A manufacturer (or local representative) of that ilk should know exactly who is driving any test car at any given moment. I can see the point of protecting the identities of those involved for legal purposes, but it should not take the best part of three months to come to a conclusion in a case like this.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Desmo wrote: I ignore SCA as Dave is not a nice person, from what I can gather doesn't actually ride a bicycle
Your kidding? Doesn’t ride a bike? Why so rabid then?

The Boulie costs is just something I personally have an issue with, bull shxxxxing to further your cause doesn’t wash with me. I believe Cycle just parroted the figures supplied which were changed to a more realistic $$$$ amount once Vic Roads actually said something.