Bike fit out procedure in Brisbane

Boxitup

Bike fit out procedure in Brisbane

Postby Boxitup » Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Hey guys,

Newbie here. I've been looking at as many threads as possible on here and have found some fantastic advice - so thanks for that in advance.

A few months ago I bought a cheap mountain bike to see if I liked getting back into cycling and to see if my dodgy knee would put up with it. I'm pretty happy with how I'm enjoying the cycling and my knee is holding up well. I've done quite a few 50 - 60km rides along the Kedron bikeway and I'm ready to step it up a bit for the next stage.

I'm about to buy my first road bike, however, I've been offered the advice to get a quick fit out of my own body measurements first and then go and buy a bike and then bring it back for a proper fit out. Does this sound like good advice? I guess a quick body measure would ensure that I buy the correct frame size and then return for some bike adjustments.

I'm sure there are many good fit out places in Brisbane, but can any of you guys personally recommend anyone in Brisbane? Obviously like all businesses, some are better than others.

Thanks in advance

Boxitup

Re: Bike fit out procedure in Brisbane

Postby Boxitup » Fri May 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Anyone?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:09 pm

Boxitup wrote:I'm about to buy my first road bike, however, I've been offered the advice to get a quick fit out of my own body measurements first and then go and buy a bike and then bring it back for a proper fit out. Does this sound like good advice? I guess a quick body measure would ensure that I buy the correct frame size and then return for some bike adjustments.
Are you planning to buy from a bricks and mortar shop or online? If from a physical shop you should be able to get it set up pretty much right from the get go - with maybe some minor adjustments as you get some k's on it. If you can use a hex key you should be able to make these adjustments yourself.

If from online then it might be worth paying a shop to put it together for you so, like above, you can get it set up correctly from the start. However, if you're handy with tools and you know where everything is meant to go, there's no reason you can't do this yourself.

There's some good info here if you scroll through a bit about determining what size you need: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 23&t=97548

As it's your first road bike I would recommend test riding as many different models as possible to see what you like.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri May 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi Boxitup,

I think there is a minor issue here with the term "fit out".

To me that suggests taking a bare frame and fitting the components to it.

Reading your post it suggests that you mean getting someone to determine where the seat, bars and pedals should be to put you in the most appropriate position for you on the bike or even to choose the appropriate size bike to start with. I would refer to this process as getting a bike fit.

If that is the case there are lots of professional bike fitters out there, I'm sure that someone in Brisbane may have a recommendation for you.
You may need to edit the subject of the first post to "Bike Fit in Brisbane" or similar.

Cheers,

Cameron