My first impression of Melbourne

brumby33

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby brumby33 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:49 pm

F&O,

Fawkner, Cambellfield and Craigieburn, being near the airport, are these suburbs under the flight path?

I know in Sydney, one of the City's most popular Italian suburbs Leichardt is right under the flightpath and they comedown pretty low, but when it gets to Sydenham...lets put it this way, you wouldn't be ordering a high tv antenna coz it won't be up for too long...less than a day maybe :lol:
They look to be in a convenient location.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:56 pm

brumby33 wrote:Fawkner, Cambellfield and Craigieburn, being near the airport, are these suburbs under the flight path?
I think you missed the smiley faces.. And missed the hint that was being made.

If crime is your big concern then go look at the maps. I'm afraid this isn't the interactive one:

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:15 am

So by that graph you need to buy a boat and anchor it in Port Phillip Bay ☺ No incidents there.:-) Or that other tiny spec up the top....
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Alright, now we know how Melbourne CBD's Incident Public Address system works... :(

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:50 pm

It used to be a lot better place than Sydney, maybe almost every way except climate, but the gap may have narrowed, I fear..although that probably says more about Melbourne than it does Sydney.

One thing...you, once more, have a "police force".

We, meanwhile, have a 'police service".

When you have been here a little longer and watched some more news, you get what is going on with that.

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Tamiya wrote:Alright, now we know how Melbourne CBD's Incident Public Address system works... :(

Yup...we all ducked and covered, Friday.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Sadly have since learnt our tragic loss on Friday was none other than Chief Barista of Pelegrinis... a Melbourne institution frequented by many a cyclist, Vespa scooterer & hoards of CBD cubicle dwellers.

Vale, Sisto :(

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:01 pm

Tamiya wrote:Sadly have since learnt our tragic loss on Friday was none other than Chief Barista of Pelegrinis... a Melbourne institution frequented by many a cyclist, Vespa scooterer & hoards of CBD cubicle dwellers.

Vale, Sisto :(
Yeah I was saddened by this as Pellegrini's is and always has been my favourite cafe, although I don't get in there as much as I did previously...

Very sad.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:14 pm

Jeez has it been over 3 years since I began this thread...hehehehe....well I still haven't made the move yet, so many things like hip replacements and this little virus that was sent to the world and almost crippled many societies...but we're back on the move again, and Melbourne is back on the agenda.

I've still doing some research about possible employers (in fact I found out from today, Kinetic has taken over from Transdev as Melbourne's major route bus operator...they lost the contract apparently.)

So this week we're going on a road trip down to Melbourne and surrounds, this will be our research trip on whether we'll make the move down there but I'm so hanging to go riding on your numerous bike paths and trails.

No doubt the Mrs will have me trekking through the vast number of shopping centres too (Groan) :roll: but our friend wants to take us to a few places that are her favourite.

We also bought a new crash cam to protect us from those crazy Victorian (Mexican) drivers :mrgreen:

Really looking forward to it.....we haven't been able to get away for a holiday since we came down in mid 2019.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:58 pm

Pretty good time to come down - weather is good this week and thanks to that little virus, getting around by car isn't quite as torturous as it usually is.

I assume you're bringing your bike down?

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:52 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:58 pm
Pretty good time to come down - weather is good this week and thanks to that little virus, getting around by car isn't quite as torturous as it usually is.

I assume you're bringing your bike down?
I wish PIN20....I've got no way to bring it down in the car (Toyota Corolla) with all the other stuff SWMBO will need to pack....I'll just have to wait till the removalist brings it down. I'd be too busy riding those trails down there than doing the due diligence that I'll need to do...and then I'd really be in the bad books which seems to be a lot lately :lol: (maybe I'll leave her up here...nah who am I kidding) :roll:

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:28 am

I think you'll like it down here.

Eastern Suburbs are very nice, and in keeping with that theme, Ventura Bus Lines are hiring and have depots in a few different eastern locations (Croydon, Lilydale and Knoxfield), all nice areas to live in and around. Being based in, say Croydon or Lilydale, gives you close access to the Dandenongs and the Yarra Valley with great riding, the Wineries etc etc.

My regular riding loop is around Croydon Hills and Wonga Park then back around to Chirnside Park. It's beautiful out there.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:32 am

My first and continuing impression when I was transferred to Victoria Barracks in 1985 was 'I can't wait to get out of the place...' I have been back for short work assignments over the years since - but would never move there permanently... :shock: 8) :)
OI onya bike!!!

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:44 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:28 am
I think you'll like it down here.

Eastern Suburbs are very nice, and in keeping with that theme, Ventura Bus Lines are hiring and have depots in a few different eastern locations (Croydon, Lilydale and Knoxfield), all nice areas to live in and around.
CDC is also hiring at their Oakleigh depot in the eastern burbs. In the current driver drought you will have no trouble finding work

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:43 am

Dysons Group is also always hiring. Northern suburbs based, with regional depots in Bairnsdale, Deniliquin, Kyneton, Moama, Sale, Shepparton, Wangaratta and Wodonga. Usually V-Line replacement work.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:07 am

Thanks for letting me know about the work down there guys, I've seen constant adverts for bus drivers by all companies, it's an industry with a high turn-over rate but if you get with the right company who doesn't treat you like a HMS inmate, the job itself isn't too bad really, you're not sitting in an office with boss looking over your shoulder and the scenery changes with every trip. Yes traffic can get you down a bit as is with some of the people who use the services but up here in Sydney, you're well aware which Companies not to go drive for and that is learnt by being in the industry for a while.
Many of the Companies bring in drivers who haven't driven anything bigger than a Hyundai and you put them in a bus seat and they freak out. In many cases if you had 5 new trainees start on Monday morning, within 2 weeks there'll be either 1 or 2 remaining.
It's good to know that my skills would be very high in demand but unfortunately not to the point where I can name my own price :wink:

Anyway right now, it's only been 3 weeks since I had finished driving, so I'm not in a desperate hurry just yet....need a nice break before I can tackle it again then I'll have to learn a completely new area. Ventura and CDC seem to look good and it's somewhere I could position myself not to be too far away from home/work. I know I'll need to go back behind the wheel eventually though, too young for pension :roll: and only 3 weeks of idleness has seen me and Mrs feuding like the Hatfields and McKoys :lol:

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:12 am

I grew up in Melbourne but haven't lived there since '91.
Priced out now anyway.

Been in NT, Mildura and now Bendigo for the last 10 years.
I have to say Bendigo is much better.
Better weather, far less congestion, less crowding, less noise, less pollution, less time stuck in traffic and house prices are halved.
Melbourne is 2 hrs away, to visit if you must, by train or car.
Family is there so we have to sometimes.

https://christiansbus.com.au/contact/

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/S ... 228401508/
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:18 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:12 am
I grew up in Melbourne but haven't lived there since '91.
Priced out now anyway.

Been in NT, Mildura and now Bendigo for the last 10 years.
I have to say Bendigo is much better.
Better weather, far less congestion, less crowding, less noise, less pollution, less time stuck in traffic and house prices are halved.
Melbourne is 2 hrs away, to visit if you must, by train or car.
Family is there so we have to sometimes.

https://christiansbus.com.au/contact/

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/S ... 228401508/
You are right about getting out of town - when we did live there we would go out every 2nd weekend and explore the regions - out to Warrnambool in the west and Marlo in the east. An RAAF mates mum and dad lived at Marlo and we would go and spend weekends with them when my mate Greg was in town. Most of the towns in the north along the border. My pet hate with Melbourne was going to work in the dark (8:30 start) and going home in the dark (4:30 finish) by train in the winter, and then trying to kids to sleep in the summer at a reasonable hour because the sun was still after bed time for them.
OI onya bike!!!

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:58 pm

Thanks fellas for including the bus Company and locations, have noted them and kept them on hand for when I get that itch to get back into it....

Might even get my forklift license, I used to drive them many years ago from the age of 15, used in cold rooms, I used in plastics factory, I used loading up my own truck, stacking pallets etc. Used High lift, counter balanced but haven't used them in a warehouse situation. These days they want you to be scanner qualified too.

I'm even going to apply for the Trams....that'll be fun..can't get lost on those as they're on rails :lol:

Anyway, got plenty of time to consider my next job move.....getting settled into a new locale will be the most challenging.

I may well need to move out a bit when buying, could only afford apt, Town house or Villa.

Many considerations.

Cheers

Dave
brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:16 pm

If you've got a heavy vehicle license, I've heard truckies are in demand too.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:46 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:16 pm
If you've got a heavy vehicle license, I've heard truckies are in demand too.
Yes I do have HC as I was doing container truck work in Syd & Bris about 15 yrs ago.
Too old for interstate....

Cheers

Brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:23 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:18 am

You are right about getting out of town - when we did live there we would go out every 2nd weekend and explore the regions - out to Warrnambool in the west and Marlo in the east. An RAAF mates mum and dad lived at Marlo and we would go and spend weekends with them when my mate Greg was in town. Most of the towns in the north along the border. My pet hate with Melbourne was going to work in the dark (8:30 start) and going home in the dark (4:30 finish) by train in the winter, and then trying to kids to sleep in the summer at a reasonable hour because the sun was still after bed time for them.
Yes, leaving home in the dark and getting home in the dark does suck.
Still have that in the depths of winter where I am.
Love the long summer days though.

My chief dislike of the city is the congestion and crowding.
Why on earth one would pay a premium, in terms of housing costs, to endure that beats me. :?

Once you have gotten away, it fairly quickly becomes evident there aren't many negatives to leaving and alot of positives.
Everyone has differences, but I won't ever live in a large city again.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:55 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:23 pm
Why on earth one would pay a premium, in terms of housing costs, to endure that beats me. :?
Depends upon your circumstances and priorities, doesn't it?
warthog1 wrote:
It's good that you could do it. Some can't. I like being able to stroll half a kay down the road to bring the kids to school and then stop for a good coffee on the way home.

Personally, I couldn't live in the middle of nowhere... but some can eh? :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:37 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:55 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Depends upon your circumstances and priorities, doesn't it?
warthog1 wrote:
It's good that you could do it. Some can't. I like being able to stroll half a kay down the road to bring the kids to school and then stop for a good coffee on the way home.

Personally, I couldn't live in the middle of nowhere... but some can eh? :lol:
Sure, you can do that here, cheaper cost, less noise, less congestion.

I like being able to ride for 5min and be out of surburbia and away from traffic with a big choice of quieter roads.

It just takes a while to adjust, and for many, when you do, there is no going back.

150 k from the centre of Melb, be there in under 2 hrs.
Less than from some parts of Melb possibly.

Many won't see the possibility, my 3 sisters are 3 examples.
Just giving an alternative that may not be otherwise considered.

Still I should just shutup.
Don't want the place getting too much bigger. 100k is crowded enough.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:30 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:37 pm

Sure, you can do that here, cheaper cost, less noise, less congestion.

I like being able to ride for 5min and be out of surburbia and away from traffic with a big choice of quieter roads.

It just takes a while to adjust, and for many, when you do, there is no going back.

150 k from the centre of Melb, be there in under 2 hrs.
Less than from some parts of Melb possibly.

Many won't see the possibility, my 3 sisters are 3 examples.
Just giving an alternative that may not be otherwise considered.

Still I should just shutup.
Don't want the place getting too much bigger. 100k is crowded enough.
Trying to convince my wife that we should be looking regional for retirement and locking something in over the next couple of years at today's prices. We just spent two weeks in Bright for a holiday, and I love it in that region. Bright is getting fairly pricey when compared to other towns in the region, but still a massive discount to Sydney where we live now. You can get a 1000sqm block 300m from the middle of town for half the price of a block half the size in Sydney, and you have Mt Buffalo, Mt Hotham, Tawonga Gap and Falls Creek all within riding distance, plus rail trails and gravel roads everywhere.

My wife likes the big city, I don't. I like peace and quiet and fresh air and craft beer :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi