Any cyclists here on a Keto and intermittent fasting diet?

BugsBunny

Re: Any cyclists here on a Keto and intermittent fasting diet?

Postby BugsBunny » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi all

Here's a quick update after a little over 6 weeks of IF/keto.

- Body weight.
The first two weeks I saw a very rapid drop in body weight. Starting at around 64.1kg.
By day 7 day I dropped to 62.6kg (with a 7 day average of that week of 63.3).
By day 14, I hit 62.4kg (with a 7 day average of 62.4).
By day 21, I was back up to 62.8 (but with a 7 day avg of 62.2). In this 3rd week I hit a low of 61.3kg.
By day 28, the rebound effect was noticeable. Day 28 I was 63.2 with a 7 day avg of 62.5.
By day 35 I'm 62.0kg with a 7 day avg of 62.3.
By day 42 I'm 61.9kg with a 7 day avg of 62.1.

*** My observation is that after the first 2 weeks of a sharp drop in weight (water?), the body hits a low trough and floats at around the 62 kg mark. I'm finding it hard to get below 62kg. Waist line is obviously improved from my wearing my work pants :-) Probably about one inch on the belt holes.

- Body fat.
My bio-impedance scales are not the most accurate in the world but I have quite a few data points.
I started on Day 0 at 64.1kg and 15.7% BF.
Week 1 avg 13.4%
Week 2 avg 12.9%.
Week 3 avg 12.7%.
Week 4 avg 12.9%.
Week 5 avg 12.8%.
Week 6 avg 13.2%

*** I had at least 5 data points for each 7 day week block, but not all measurements were done at the same time of day (hydration levels). I tried to maintain 2 liters of water daily. Not always hitting this target though.

- IF observations
I was very diligent for the first 2-3 weeks on a 16/8 split target. I rarely missed them. I have had a few days since where I did break the fast. Probably 6 days in total where I broke the 16/8 fast. However skipping breakfast now is a norm for me with complete ease.

- KETO
My keto menu took some time to experiment with. I did notice on a few days I got the munchies and broke the fast. I have been on a reduced carb diet but with family and friend gatherings I made quite a few days of exceptions. I simply had myself a nice meal with the carbs I felt like, and went back to IF the following day. This works well in real life. I did get the munchies a few nights where I snacked. Ironically on the evenings I snacked, the following morning where I should be fasting, I got the munchies. In other words, when I avoided the snacks (carbs) in the evening it was EASIER to stay fasted than if I had something to eat. Strange.

- Exercise
I've not been following any structured training plan. (I normally follow TrainerRoad medium intensity plans). During this period, I've been riding about 3-4 days a week of about 1 hour with "moderate" intensity, say zone 3-4 in power zones. Mainly just cruising around the block in the hour just before dinner. I would guesstimate burning around 500-600 calories per hour. If I get 3 days in a row of training I do get the munchies a little easier.

- Conclusion
Overall I think IF 16/8 and keto works for me. I have on days gone a much as 19+ hours of fasting but that shortens the eating window too much between the two meals. And I'm not yet ready to go to one meal a day. Perhaps I will try that later. Anecdotally I would sum it up as follows. Two meals a day feels great. I just don't need to have the body constantly in a state of digestion. Fasting 16 hours is now a cinch. I'm quite certain by constantly drinking water, you trick yourself into not feeling as hungry. Secondly, again anecdotally, I think the carb reduction is key here. There is no perceive lethargy or energy loss. And thirdly, you will note my body weight has reached a low trough, and I'm finding it hard to break through 62kg. Its still obvious that I have a small roll of body fat around my belly :-). I think the body does "fight back" mode. I'm not sure what to do about that. I'll just for now continue.

Bugs

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks for the update - good to see some scientific approach to see if it works.
BugsBunny wrote:And I'm not yet ready to go to one meal a day. Perhaps I will try that later.
As for the one meal a day, this is much harder than skipping brekky. Generally i think havign a small snack after work is better than trying to skip dinner - dinner is a much harder meal to skip if you are not having breakfast.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Bugs - doing well mate.

Did you confirm you are actually in ketosis?

What's your rough calorie in take per day?

Cheers
Steve
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:46 pm

steve-waters wrote:Bugs - doing well mate.

Did you confirm you are actually in ketosis?

What's your rough calorie in take per day?

Cheers
Steve
Hey Steve
No I haven't been able to confirm I'm in ketosis. I was going to buy one of those ketone monitors but haven't taken the plunge. The literature is wildly varying in terms of the hours/days required to get into ketosis. My gut theory is if you cut out all direct carbs, then by the 16 hours of fasting will get you into some form of ketosis as your glycogen stores should be mostly depleted. If you add to that moderate exercise for say, 60 min, and you do that during your extended fasting period... then you will have depleted all glycogen. I'm pretty confident you will then be in ketosis. My exercise time however, is usually within the shorter 8 hour feeding window so I'm not sure what happens there wrt to ketosis or not.

As for calories input per day. That's a tough one for me. I'm used to calorie and protein counting for the typical healthy ingredients but not for the high fat food types I'm now eating. My typical lunch/dinner will be like the following:

Lunch - "All day breakfast". Sausage, eggs, bacon, mushrooms, baked beans, small green salad, brown bread x 1 with full butter. Drink with zero added sugar. Eaten around 12:30pm

Dinner (home cooked) - One avocado, 2 rasher bacon, approx 150 grams salmon, hand full of nuts, 1 cheese stick, approx half cup veggies (e.g. spinach, celery), and sometimes raspberries/blueberries. Post dinner I have coffee with full cream. Eaten around 7pm. (PS. I've since added coconut oil - one tablespoon during dinner.)

My BMR as of today is 1454.
Day 0 - 1530.
Day 7 - 1521
Day 14 - 1448
Day 21 - 1514
Day 28 - 1476
Day 35 - 1501
Day 41 - 1435
Day 48 - 1454

According to my Fitbit Watch - here are my last few weeks calorie expenditure.
Week 5 - 18633
Week 4 - 17453
Week 3 - 17809
Week 2 - 19281
Week 1 - 17899

So about 2602 calories per day expended. So I guess meals are about 1148 calories.

Bugs.

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:22 pm

I started keto woe in January gradually shifted to a zerocarb diet then back to keto. Now I'm following zerocarb again.
Not purposely intermittent fasting but pretty much do by eating when hungry sometimes I go from 7pm at night till 1pm the next day cos i dont feel hungry.

Best of all I lost 10kg eating steaks and burgers. My cycling fitness has improved heaps all while my cycling frequency has dropped from around 100km a week to around 30km a week.