2018 Tdf SBS commentary

sir_camel

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby sir_camel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:03 am

Hot tip - if you have an Apple TV or Chromecast you can stream the footage from the SBS Tour Tracker app to your TV with no ads, no Gate, no Tomo and Macka...
Bikes Bikes Bikes

road_warrior

Postby road_warrior » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:16 am

Uhh what is wrong with Gabriel Gate. It is my wife's favourite segment, and is what got her into watching the tour with me. Now she know the riders better than myself. A lot of the race is about the culture and visuals of France, a little time on those doesn't hurt.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:15 pm

road_warrior wrote:Uhh what is wrong with Gabriel Gate. It is my wife's favourite segment, and is what got her into watching the tour with me. Now she know the riders better than myself. A lot of the race is about the culture and visuals of France, a little time on those doesn't hurt.
Not unless you just want to watch the race ....

If I wanted to watch the cooking, I'd watch Masterchef or Food Safari.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:24 am

I watched today's stage on ITV4 and even though it sounds a bit dull it is intelligent, accurate and inciteful. Ex pro David Millar has a complete understanding of tactics and even predicts what could happen and explains why.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Is it just me, or do there appear to be far more ad breaks this year on SBS? It's ridiculous and it's the same bloody ads every time. Surely, advertisers and SBS must realise that the audience don't want to see the action interrupted every 5 minutes to promote some garbage about bathroom renovations, or car ads (couldn't actually tell you what the ads are for such is the banality of them and the frequency has numbed my brain to the point that the message is wasted on me).

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Sharkey wrote:I watched today's stage on ITV4 and even though it sounds a bit dull it is intelligent, accurate and inciteful. Ex pro David Millar has a complete understanding of tactics and even predicts what could happen and explains why.
Oh yeah, he's got experience.
David Millar: ‘I took powerful, dangerous drug thanks to TUE loophole’
Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... PUmuVgT.99
On that, my confession: I watch Armstrong's podcast post almost every stage. Same thing, and whilst he may be the most famous asshat on the face of the earth he and Hincapie make a great, totally relaxed pair of avid ex cyclists who have done it all before. Its surprising the amount of name dropping they do, which I check on to see if he's yanking my chain. Maybe not as unpopular as most would have him be.

Edit: I've also watched Floyd's. Along with Dave Zabriskie, some old bloke who looks a bit like Brailsford and another weirdo in a top hat he spends his time recounting passages from Hincapie's book etc. I don't think that being stoned out of your mind would help this one. Truly incoherent and a great argument against the legalisation of mind altering drugs :lol:

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Sharkey wrote:I watched today's stage on ITV4 and even though it sounds a bit dull it is intelligent, accurate and inciteful. Ex pro David Millar has a complete understanding of tactics and even predicts what could happen and explains why.
The original co-owner and head of Team Sky (Fran Millar) is David Millar's sister.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:09 pm

djw47 wrote:Is it just me, or do there appear to be far more ad breaks this year on SBS?
I hadn't noticed, but it can't be more painful than watching their on-demand service, where most of the ads are for other SBS programs.

Blame the government for not funding them properly.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:31 pm

fat and old wrote:
He isn't one of those ebullient commentators, but he is no BS. He's accurate and precise. I've watched some races where he was doing the commentary and it was great.

For much of the same reason I like the commentary of Magnus Bäckstedt.
djw47 wrote:Is it just me, or do there appear to be far more ad breaks this year on SBS?
On what little I've managed to watch, I did notice this too. And on the note of SBS, Lee Lin Chin is retiring too.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:
fat and old wrote:
He isn't one of those ebullient commentators, but he is no BS. He's accurate and precise. I've watched some races where he was doing the commentary and it was great.

Yeah, I’m not disagreeing. Just having a little dig at the sports hypocrisy. Ebullience is overrated anyway. This is why I like Sean Kelly. :lol:

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:16 pm

I dont care what you think about GG, this weekend I am cooking that dish he did tonight, looked great.
A few years ago I did a fancy stew that I saw in his segment and it is now a family favourite.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:20 am

I haven't watched a single live stage this year (it doesn't help that we have a shut down at work and I'm working 12-13 hr days). I have instead been watching recordings of the extended highlights package on SBS Viceland HD. Perfect. No endless hours of listening to prattle about not much and there is no chance that I might nod off during the race and miss some excitement or the end of the stage.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:12 pm

fat and old wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
fat and old wrote:

Yeah, I’m not disagreeing. Just having a little dig at the sports hypocrisy. Ebullience is overrated anyway. This is why I like Sean Kelly. :lol:
David Millar is no hypocrite, read his autobiography if you ever get a chance. He made a monumental mistake in his career, was rightly punished, and came back stronger and determined to help rid the sport of the thing that, if not ruined, then certainly damaged his career and legacy. He makes some very valid points about how back then, you simply could not hope for a career as a pro cyclist unless you doped such was the performance differential between those who did and those who didn't.