Re: 2018 Magpie thread

Postby CKinnard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:36 pm

made from plastic ice cream containers
better than zip ties

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Pterodactyl proof as well! Mad Max would be proud,
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

K2

Postby K2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:13 am

Stopped to lift a blue tongue off Brisbane Corso about midday today. Must have had a bit of lizard scent still on me a few minutes later. Just going over the first bump up TJ Doyle Memorial Dr and got nailed by a 2 tone kamikaze coming straight in from the side. Pierced my temple just behind the glasses lens. He must have been happy with that as he didn't bother again.

Recently found a couple locally that are super persistent and throw their whole weight into the helmet with claws being felt on neck and shoulders, and I've had a couple in previous years draw blood from my earlobe and cheek, but they've always attacked from behind, even if they initially approached from the side. Never had one come in directly from the side before.

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:23 am

There is one on my regular route who was going for the top of my ears so I made some flaps to cover them. That worked for a couple of days ..... he hit the flaps and then realising this wasn't having the desired effect he just flew overhead and made a couple of halfhearted passes. After a couple of days of that he then figured out to come in lower and go under the flap and grab the earlobe ..... that got him the reaction he wanted ...... and on the next pass he went one better and hit just in front of the ear ..... end result was enough blood running down to drip off below my chin ..... a very large amount of extremely bad language and threats of terminal violence ..... a reluctant admission of defeat ..... and a change of route .... :) :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 pm

There's one at the Caboolture Showgrounds on the corner, he hits hard. Two going through Sandstone Point Hotel road and they work together. One along Avon Avenue Bribie just down from the Golf Club round about. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Ancientflatulence wrote:a very large amount of extremely bad language and threats of terminal violence ..... a reluctant admission of defeat ..... and a change of route .... :) :)
make sure you always wear safety glasses that cover the sides of the eyes.
I have a series of pics of guys I know who have had their eyes directly targeted from the sides and front.
One guy had several puncture wounds to his sclera.
The magpie got his beak in between the glasses and helmet.
Like humans some magpies are overloaded with more aggression, and as they age they learn to be more destructive.

JPB

Postby JPB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:37 am

I watched the Norwest magpie in action this morning while sitting in traffic.
Two ladies were walking on the path without issue and then a bike came off the overbridge and down the path. The magpie appeared from somewhere and flew into position behind the rider, landing for a second in one of the trees and then swooped down attacking the rider from behind, pretty much next to where the two ladies were who got front row viewing. Totally ignored the walkers but went to town on the riser.

geminimum

Postby geminimum » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:45 am

My first attack this morning by a magpie in Parra on Phillip St. What's it doing on a main road? I thought my helmet was falling apart until I saw the shadow of the darn bird. It got me a few times and I was tempted to go onto the footpath but lights turned green and it didn't follow me after I took off. Looks like I'll be cable tying my helmet tonight.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 am

Is that from this area,if so, it's back again. It had swooped over to me too 2 years ago. Damn it. I'm going to Parra for appointment later so I will use other street.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 pm

The Norwest magpie is the most aggressive I've come across, a few weeks ago it hit me so hard that my riding glasses were knocked off. On Sunday I rode that way and saw him ready to pounce the moment I came down the ramp of the bridge. There was a jogger on the path who watched what was happening-the magpie had no interest in him. I rode at less than walking pace and the magpie stalked me but didn't attack. At one point it sat in a tree only 2 metres from me and just out of reach. I waved my arms and told him to bugger off but he just stared and didn't budge. The moment I moved off he flew towards me so there was about 60 metres of cat and mouse with me riding as slow as I could constantly turning my head to look at him. I've found that making eye contact doesn't get rid of them but it stops the close attack. Once I was out of his territory he flew back to wait for the next rider. No amount of hedgehogs stuck to your helmet would deter him as he will just come in sideways which is probably more dangerous for your eyes.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

geminimum

Postby geminimum » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:29 pm

@BungedKnee - Not there, it was just before the lights at that intersection of Church St. I had just come out of the riverside where the car park was and near the Park Royal hotel.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:49 pm

@geminimum.
Ok,thanks. I know that spot and it is the new one.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:54 am

This thread is terrifying!

I've had a few attacks over recent years, but never anything that drew blood or knocked my glasses off! The most persistent was a local that would have 4 or 5 goes at you, making contact with the helmet but nothing else, and waving your arm at the right time (the sun was always in the right position to see his shadow coming at you) usually averted his attacks. He ended up getting euthanized by authorities last year because of complaints from resident pedestrians.

Last week I got swooped several times by another elsewhere. I thought I'd be safe under some low trees but they offered no protection. Thankfully again, not much contact except perhaps a wing on the helmet.

Don't think I'll chance anywhere near the Norwest magpie!!!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:38 pm

resident magpie on the backstreets I take to shops in Newington is active again, so took the main road through the suburb and there's a new magpie taken up there who hit me half a dozen times. Next day took to the shared path near the creek instead, a couple of block out of the way, and saw minor birds buzzing pedestrians. I guess that's a small improvement anyway

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:46 pm

In Deagon (north brisbane suburbs) yesterday, I was hit really hard 4 times over 60 meters by a butcherbird. The thing was just as aggressive and relentless as the worst magpies.
In all my years, I have never been bothered by butcherbirds. And it did this while I had cars passing in both directions. It really seems the birds are more aggressive this year.

DrShifty

Postby DrShifty » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:21 pm

I was hit in 3 swoops yesterday riding through Mayfield (Newcastle). I'd ridden down Margaret St, turned right into Mounter and immediately left into Clara. It was at that corner the maggie hit me up, following me down Clara St for a few houses.

I've not been swooped at all in that area, even with riding through there weekly for two years or more.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 am

I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Had a weird one this morning, Davidson Ave Concrod. Heard this strange squeaking sound looked around thinking it was a kid's toy when I realised I was being swooped by a magpie - not close & making the odd sound as he approached - it was effective though as he chased me off his patch :wink:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:19 pm

CKinnard wrote:In Deagon (north brisbane suburbs) yesterday, I was hit really hard 4 times over 60 meters by a butcherbird. The thing was just as aggressive and relentless as the worst magpies.
In all my years, I have never been bothered by butcherbirds. And it did this while I had cars passing in both directions. It really seems the birds are more aggressive this year.
Same here, my latest bird attack was a very persistent butcher bird. Hasn't had a go on my last few commutes but definitely made me nervous going my normal route for a while there.

2 young Perth kids each got stabbed in the eye recently :(
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/magpie-cull ... d-in-perth

My kids got their first swooping too recently in a nearby park, luckily maggie was happy to not get too close.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:24 pm

Apparently magpies are no match for eagles.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:58 am

piledhigher wrote:Apparently magpies are no match for eagles.
I felt a bit empty switching on the footy as I didn't have a dog in the fight (or a magpie or an eagle). However, as soon as the cameras panned on Ubiquitous Eddie barracking for Collingwood, I became an instant convert to West Coast. My new found support was severely dented when the camera moved to Julie Bishop (the former minister for throwing away taxpayers money), and I began to wonder whether wishing hard enough could somehow manufacture a loss for both teams.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Mububban wrote:
CKinnard wrote:In Deagon (north brisbane suburbs) yesterday, I was hit really hard 4 times over 60 meters by a butcherbird. The thing was just as aggressive and relentless as the worst magpies.
Same here, my latest bird attack was a very persistent butcher bird. Hasn't had a go on my last few commutes but definitely made me nervous going my normal route for a while there.

2 young Perth kids each got stabbed in the eye recently :(
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/magpie-cull ... d-in-perth

My kids got their first swooping too recently in a nearby park, luckily maggie was happy to not get too close.
I can remember when we'd all get mocked for complaining about magpies. He'd tell us how harmless these birds were.

I have a nuisance magpie on my commute as well, fortunately it is easy to avoid - just adds another few minutes. I make that up by riding a bit faster.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 pm

I've posted this here in the distant past, but will again just to remind riders what magpies are capable of.
- 2x penetrating wounds to the (L) eye's sclera several mm lateral of the iris.
- part of eyelid pecked off.
- a few periorbital pecking wounds
This was in one particularly aggressive attack.
The magpie got its beak in between the helmet and sunglasses.
When the rider eventually got his hand up to scare it off, it immediately went to the other eye and wounded that as well.
The Brisbane City Council destroyed the bird within a week.
This was around 2010.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm

What's a magpie swoop?? I'm zwifting :D
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

JPB

Postby JPB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Baalzamon wrote:What's a magpie swoop?? I'm zwifting :D
Just get someone to tap your head or flick your ear every now and then without warning.