QLD - Murder Charge following a fatal bicycle collision

madmacca

Re: QLD - Murder Charge following a fatal bicycle collision

Postby madmacca » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:35 pm

find_bruce wrote:
fat and old wrote:Say What is up with Qld?
f. Mr Phillip Thow (informant and homosexual partner of Ms
McCauley’s son, Mr Peter Jay Arrowsmith);
Aye? Homosexual? This needs to be defined? Is there any legal reason the bloke's not referred to as "partner"?

The level of douche don't stop with the witnesses.
All a bit odd, as was "Ms McCauley’s most recent former spouse and ‘drug acquaintance’. Also a former spouse of Ms McCauley’s daughter" - not sure how it is relevant apart from the whole Woody Allen eeeewwww factor
Well, given the number of "former spouses" in the witness list, you have to differentiate between them somehow. It's worth noting that Ms McCauley's daughter is on the witness list herself.

It's like "Trainspotting" meets "Deliverance".

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 pm

She will will probably get off with a suspended sentence due to her drug addiction and the soft justice system

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Ross wrote:She will will probably get off with a suspended sentence due to her drug addiction and the soft justice system
You would hope not, but it seems if you want to kill someone impulsively, a vehicle is the weapon of choice to minimise consequences for the perpetrator.
Keep your expectations low and there will be less disappointment at the result. :|
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:46 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Ross wrote:She will will probably get off with a suspended sentence due to her drug addiction and the soft justice system
You would hope not, but it seems if you want to kill someone impulsively, a vehicle is the weapon of choice to minimise consequences for the perpetrator.
And if you want to kill someone intentionally, and get away with it, the police and law are broadcasting to do it when the target is riding a bicycle.

It just blows my mind that our legal and police sectors think their insights and attitude are somehow intellectually and ethically superior to that of any Western European nation, where cycling is that much more safe.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:57 pm

CKinnard wrote: And if you want to kill someone intentionally, and get away with it, the police and law are broadcasting to do it when the target is riding a bicycle.

It just blows my mind that our legal and police sectors think their insights and attitude are somehow intellectually and ethically superior to that of any Western European nation, where cycling is that much more safe.
Agreed :(
Psychotic individuals like this are still a very low incidence however. It does behove me to think twice before flipping the bird as they are out there.
A greater concern for me personally is the increasing prevalence of drivers distracted by mobile devices. That is a disturbingly high incidence.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:59 pm

human909 wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote:It would be good to know what the actual premise is for pressing the murder charge given the high numbers getting off on the hook on the pretext that they thought they hit a wheelibin or didnt hear anything or in the case of overwhelming evidence, plead the SMIDSY.
No law expert. But I believe a big part of it would be the fact that the rider died AFTER the collision and was entirely the result of a clear decision of the accused. The decision to flee the scene.

EDIT: Or more likely the evidence:

From the evidence obtained during the coronial investigation and inquest,
I have determined that Ms McCauley has admitted to the following 14
witnesses that she purposely hit Mr Chan with her vehicle
:

a. Mr Peter Jay Arrowsmith (Ms McCauley’s son);
b. Mr Tyran Checkley (Ms McCauley’s son);
c. Ms Skye Maas (Ms McCauley’s daughter);
d. Ms Angelina Johnston (Ms McCauley’s sister);
e. Ms Rachel McCauley (Ms McCauley’s sister);
f. Mr Phillip Thow (informant and homosexual partner of Ms
McCauley’s son, Mr Peter Jay Arrowsmith);
g. Mr Robert (‘Billy’) Allen (Ms McCauley’s former spouse (her spouse
at the time of the incident) and ‘drug acquaintance’);
h. Mr James Dyer (MS McCauley’s most recent former spouse and
‘drug acquaintance’. Also a former spouse of Ms McCauley’s
daughter, Ms Skye Maas);
i. Ms Trudy Hay (Ms McCauley’s former spouse’s, Mr Leslie Escuder’s
mother);
j. Mr John Urquhart (Ms McCauley’s former landlord, lover, and ‘drug
acquaintance’);
k. Mr Peter John Arrowsmith (Ms McCauley’s ex-husband and father
of Mr Peter Jay Arrowsmith);
l. Mr Jessie Carloss (Ms McCauley’s former friend and ‘drug
acquaintance’);Findings of inquest into the death of Shui Ki Chan 15
m. Ms Sarah Ann-Margaret Lees (Mr Jessie Carloss’ spouse, and
former friend and ‘drug acquaintance’ of Ms McCauley); and
n. Mr Graham Johansen (Ms McCauley’s former friend and ‘drug
acquaintance’).

72. The version of events given by McCauley to the 14 witnesses varied
slightly, but the common theme was that she:
a. Was on drugs (or ‘the white stuff’ as she referred to it) at the time;
b. Was initially trying to get around the cyclist;
c. Blared her horn at him;
d. Observed Mr Chan do the finger to her (and he may have called her
names);
e. Didn’t like Asians (or “tomato thieves” as she referred to them);
f. Turned her vehicle around after she had passed Mr Chan on his
bicycle and then purposely hit him with her vehicle; and
g. Then reversed over him again to make sure he was dead.
Quite the most appallingly evil and detestable bit of pond-slime who does not deserve to see the light of day this side of 2100AD.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Scintilla wrote: Quite the most appallingly evil and detestable bit of pond-slime who does not deserve to see the light of day this side of 2100AD.
The non human bit is that she reversed over him to make sure she killed him.

When the self restraining components of the human brain are inhibited, and rage and depravity are disinhibited, humans can be more deranged and sinister than any other animal.
This is why some need to be removed permanently from civilization, and why civilizations need to take the sanctity of mental health more seriously.
If a human cannot exercise restraint over their lower nature, then civilization must.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 pm

CKinnard wrote:The non human bit is that she reversed over him to make sure she killed him.
On the balance of likelihoods that is probably on of the claims that is highly unlikely. I would not take that as fact and I would suggest that the circumstances and physical evidence would make it quite unlikely to be fact.

That sounds alot more like embellishing a story than the truth.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 pm

If the claim of reversing over the victim is embellishment rather than truth, that only makes the alleged perp's character even more callous , if that's at all possible.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:50 pm

Inept police investigation in the QPS does not surprise me in the least.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 am

CKinnard wrote:No drug gives a survival or success advantage when the full life span is considered.
So you are saying that, as well as cesing my daily aspirin, I should tear up my prescriptions for statins, ace inhibitors and beta blockers? :lol:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:20 am

human909 wrote:
CKinnard wrote:The non human bit is that she reversed over him to make sure she killed him.
On the balance of likelihoods that is probably on of the claims that is highly unlikely. I would not take that as fact and I would suggest that the circumstances and physical evidence would make it quite unlikely to be fact.

I can understand your thinking Human, it's part of the human condition to act as you have described and we see plenty of it here as we do elsewhere.

However, in this case the reversing back over is common to the evidence of many of the fourteen witnesses to the driver's subsequent admissions (#77f and #77g) and was apparently accepted as "likely" by the coroner in reaching his conclusion of deliberate action. (#85).
Coroners report

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:However, in this case the reversing back over is common to the evidence of many of the fourteen witnesses to the driver's subsequent admissions (#77f and #77g) and was apparently accepted as "likely" by the coroner in reaching his conclusion of deliberate action. (#85).
Coroners report
Well that isn't correct. And it is plainly misinterpreting the coroners report. "Likely" refers to the fact that she hit the cyclist and that she did it on purpose.

Neither of us are in a position to know for sure. I am placing my doubt on two main factors:
1. The physical evidence of somebody reversing and running over a person is likely to be significantly noticeable compared to normal collision.
2. "Reversing over to make sure he was dead" is a standard cry of the haters.

Sure the man caught a fish. But was is really that big?

My doubt might be misplaced. But it is better to hold doubt than to make incorrect statements claiming that they are established facts.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:47 pm

human909 wrote:Neither of us are in a position to know for sure. I am placing my doubt on two main factors:
1. The physical evidence of somebody reversing and running over a person is likely to be significantly noticeable compared to normal collision.
I also had doubts about this - since it seems the victim was thrown off the road and out of sight I thought this assertion was likely to be bragging.
25. Mr Chan was about 1km (half way) into his return journey to the caravan park, travelling east bound on the Warrego Highway, when it appears that a vehicle struck him. His body came to rest in a ditch on the side of the highway.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 pm

human909 wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:However, in this case the reversing back over is common to the evidence of many of the fourteen witnesses to the driver's subsequent admissions (#77f and #77g) and was apparently accepted as "likely" by the coroner in reaching his conclusion of deliberate action. (#85).
Coroners report
Well that isn't correct. And it is plainly misinterpreting the coroners report. "Likely" refers to the fact that she hit the cyclist and that she did it on purpose.

Neither of us are in a position to know for sure. I am placing my doubt on two main factors:

My doubt might be misplaced. But it is better to hold doubt than to make incorrect statements claiming that they are established facts.
Which is why I said "apparently". Not definitely as you may have thought I meant and which I did not.

On the other hand, my initial response to your post was based on thinking that you were directing your comment at CKinnard. I'm guessing now that your comment was about embellishment by the witnesses, not CK. And of their witness you could very well be right.

As an aside I noted at the time that witnesses were stating to the cops in the Venus WIlliams crash that she had run the red light. I would guess that they would be adamant in those statements but, as it came to be known later, they were just deciding or assuming that was the case and so were testifying to something that they did not actually see. Even "eye witnesses" have to be taken with a grain of salt.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:46 pm

human909 wrote:

The position of the body does make it seem unlikely, but I note the summarisation of the pathologists report as:

The appearance of the clothing at post mortem was
unremarkable. Dr Guard’s final conclusion was that the injuries were
consistent with, but not diagnostic of, the body having been run over by
the wheels of a vehicle transversely across the pelvic region.