Operation Apollo: Victoria, not to be out done by operation Pedro

human909

Operation Apollo: Victoria, not to be out done by operation Pedro

Postby human909 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:01 pm

You can't make this stuff up.
Operation APOLLO which will run during the month of August 2018 targeting bicycle and scooter offences. The Operation is in response to public complaints and concerns about cyclists – who are vulnerable road users. In the last year there have been seven reported collisions involving cyclists being injured on our roads – however, it is recognised that collisions involving bicycles are under-reported.
Current police intelligence indicates bicycles and scooters are used as a transport means for offenders involved in public order offences and property offences including burglary, damage and thefts from vehicles
Mildura Police want our roads and footpaths to be a safe environment for all users and are urging the public to do the right thing – and that includes wearing correctly fitted helmets, adhering to council bi-laws, having affixed and working lights.
McDonald’s Restaurants have kindly donating vouchers to be handed out to riders who are observed riding in a safe and legally compliant way.
Another operation targeting vulnerable road users for being vulnerable.

I'm sure somebody along the line meant well by the McDonald's Vouchers, but do they realise how they are managing to stereotype and patronise cyclists with this approach?

EDIT:
Added link to original release:
https://www.facebook.com/eyewatchmildur ... nc&fref=nf

[UPDATE]
https://www.facebook.com/eyewatchmildur ... 0c&fref=nf
Last edited by human909 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scintilla

Re: Operation Apollo: Victoria, not to be out done by operation Pedro

Postby Scintilla » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:04 pm

6.5 of those collisions involving bicycle riders were the direct fault of the motor vehicle driver :roll: :x

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:57 pm

human909 wrote:You can't make this stuff up.
Operation APOLLO which will run during the month of August 2018 targeting bicycle and scooter offences. The Operation is in response to public complaints and concerns about cyclists – who are vulnerable road users. In the last year there have been seven reported collisions involving cyclists being injured on our roads – however, it is recognised that collisions involving bicycles are under-reported.
Current police intelligence indicates bicycles and scooters are used as a transport means for offenders involved in public order offences and property offences including burglary, damage and thefts from vehicles
Mildura Police want our roads and footpaths to be a safe environment for all users and are urging the public to do the right thing – and that includes wearing correctly fitted helmets, adhering to council bi-laws, having affixed and working lights.
McDonald’s Restaurants have kindly donating vouchers to be handed out to riders who are observed riding in a safe and legally compliant way.
Another operation targeting vulnerable road users for being vulnerable.

I'm sure somebody along the line meant well by the McDonald's Vouchers, but do they realise how they are managing to stereotype and patronise cyclists with this approach?
What a BS media release! Yeah, the guy on a bicycle is going to be stealing your flat screen TV or whatever else. And of course wearing correctly fitted helmets has a direct relation on reducing buglary, damage and thefts from vehicles, huh? So that next guy who is doing burglary should make sure he has a correctly fitted helmet... :roll:

Whoever wrote that is a... Well I won't say... Where I work, our media team would never put out anything like that.
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Egads that is sad, where to start . . .

7 collisions, wow, epidemic.

Burglaries by bicycle? Really? They must have massive panniers to carry the loot. Personally I think I'd go for something with larger luggage capacity if I was going to do a burg.

McDonalds vouchers - OMGosh. Umm, maybe the wrong crowd for free Maccas, I eat a bit of crap but Maccas, haven't been there since about 1980 (seriously, and yes I do have a child).

I presume this was put out by the police? Not only are they supposed to know the content of laws, they are supposed to know what laws they are talking about: it's by-laws not bi-laws (I wasn't aware there was a legal problem with bi cyclists, learn something new every day ;) ).

Train wreck.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:28 pm

DavidS wrote:I presume this was put out by the police?
Yes, sorry I've now added a link to the original source.
DavidS wrote:Egads that is sad, where to start . . .
I know right. The stupidity astounds me. Hey were are all used to victim blaming approach of targeting and fining cyclists in response to cyclists being hit by motor vehicles. But this goes above and beyond. Even if their claims of thieves on bicycles is true how surely the tactics to combat this are different to the approaches to protect cyclist from being hit?

"No we just issue fines for helmets, riding on footpaths etc. Job done that will keep cyclists safe and teach those thieves a lesson" :roll:

(I've recently had the fortune of working alongside some good hard working Victorian Cops who are professional and good at what they do. I'm sure many others like them exist in the force. It is a pity that others keep letting them down.)
g-boaf wrote: So that next guy who is doing burglary should make sure he has a correctly fitted helmet... :roll:
Well only if he wants a bite to eat from the local fast food store after a hard day of burglary... :wink:

Az0r_au

Postby Az0r_au » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 am

Kind of ironic given you can't take a bicycle thru Maccas drivethru.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:34 am

Sadly a woman in Mildura died in a hit and run last night in a hit and run collision. I'm guessing it wasn't one of those pesky cyclists involved.
Woman dies in hit and run
A woman has died after she was struck by a vehicle in Mildura last night.

Police believe the woman was struck at the intersection of San Mateo Avenue and Kalimna Drive, just before 11pm.

Paramedics and CFA treated the yet to be identified woman but she died at the scene.

Anyone with information is urged to contact crime stoppers on 1800 333 000,

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:30 am

Az0r_au wrote:Kind of ironic given you can't take a bicycle thru Maccas drivethru.
Exactly! I wouldn't be leaving my bike outside a maccas, so they're just encouraging people to get in their cars and drive to buy crappy fast food. Real healthy.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:01 am

I got a headache reading that.

Must be targeting a specific audience or ....

Dare someone to go through their wanted posts and write "last seen riding a pushbike."

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:59 am

If they are McCoffee vouchers then thats not so far out there.

Do have to love the stupidity of associating burglary with properly fitting helmets.

Operation Appalling, McAppaling.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 pm

Patt0 wrote: Dare someone to go through their wanted posts and write "last seen riding a pushbike."
There was this one which is probably what they base it on. Especially when the pictures show his helmet was gasp unclipped!
https://www.news.com.au/national/victor ... 39bbbdc6c4

The "Lycra clad" is actually a MMA fighting brand, nothing to do with cycling.

Even when made aware of what the brand was they still tried to declare it a cycling shirt.
"He fled the scene on a black mountain bike wearing a distinctive Meerkatsu Kingz MMA Lycra cycling top."

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:58 pm

[UPDATE]
https://www.facebook.com/eyewatchmildur ... 0c&fref=nf

It seems that the shalacking they took on their original post has partially hit home
Thanks for the feedback generated in relation to operation Apollo. Mildura Police would like the community to be aware bicycle offence enforcement forms a small part of the operation.
The primary focus is targeting offenders using bicycles/scooters to enable criminal acts in and around the Mildura CBD and inner residential areas.
3 offenders have been identified committing burglaries utilising bicycles as a mode of transport. Since the commencement of Op Apollo a 15 year old has been processed for 5 separate house burglaries.
In additions to house burglaries, offenders on bikes/scooters have been identified committing criminal damage to vehicles, private premises and businesses as well as committing general street and drug crime.
Ok, fair enough. Nobody has objections to police chasing criminals now matter what transport they are using.

But why did you mix it in with collisions involving cyclists and recognition that they are vulnerable road users?
Operation Apollo is a broad operation aimed at reducing crime and improving road safety outcomes including fatalities and serious injuries.
I'm no expert but one would think these two goals require vastly different approaches. They can't just be rolled into one operation.
Every year people are killed or seriously injured riding bikes (one is too many Road to Zero).
Members attending these incidents are acutely aware of the impact on those injured, families and extended community. Simple steps like improved visibility (lights/clothing) and wearing helmets can reduce the risk and extent of injuries.
Yep back to the normal victim blaming that we are used to.
The operation is not about “low hanging fruit” or “feeding egos”, it is about increased visible police presence, reducing crime and improving community safety
Acting Inspector Scott Anderson
Still missing the point mate.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:22 pm

For once, the Facebook comments are a good read. Pretty well every comment criticises the cops for focusing on cyclists instead of drivers.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:51 pm

Mildura Police wrote:adhering to council bi-laws
What the hell is a "bi-law"? A law that goes both ways?

(Yes, there are much bigger issues at hand with this kind of targeted activity - but that has been mostly addressed above, and this stood out enough to me that it rankled.)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:45 am

human909 wrote:
DavidS wrote:I presume this was put out by the police?
Yes, sorry I've now added a link to the original source.
DavidS wrote:Egads that is sad, where to start . . .
I know right. The stupidity astounds me. Hey were are all used to victim blaming approach of targeting and fining cyclists in response to cyclists being hit by motor vehicles. But this goes above and beyond. Even if their claims of thieves on bicycles is true how surely the tactics to combat this are different to the approaches to protect cyclist from being hit?

"No we just issue fines for helmets, riding on footpaths etc. Job done that will keep cyclists safe and teach those thieves a lesson" :roll:

(I've recently had the fortune of working alongside some good hard working Victorian Cops who are professional and good at what they do. I'm sure many others like them exist in the force. It is a pity that others keep letting them down.)
g-boaf wrote: So that next guy who is doing burglary should make sure he has a correctly fitted helmet... :roll:
Well only if he wants a bite to eat from the local fast food store after a hard day of burglary... :wink:
Maybe the idea is to recoup finances from organized crime. See someone riding a bicycle without a bell? Slap them with an eye-watering fine. Even if they aren't in possession of any stolen goods, its reasonable to assume they are just on their way bsck from visiting Cash Converters.
Go!Run!GAH!

PA

Postby PA » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:37 am

Operation Apollo, is the follow up operation going to be called Operation Malvern Star?
Mouse magnet

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:52 am

PA wrote:Operation Apollo, is the follow up operation going to be called Operation Malvern Star?
Rather than default to giving their operations divine, illustrious names, subsequent operations should be named after careful analysis of the effectiveness of the previous ones.
So after operation apollo, we could see operation shuttlecock, followed by operation tongue biting louse, and finally operation big swing, no ding.
Go!Run!GAH!

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:08 pm

If you think Operation Apollo is closed minded and prejudiced, you should try living here. Guilty before proven innocent is the norm and if a bike is anywhere out of a yard it's in the way. One of the many problems of being an isolated society.

I'm looking forward to dining out on all the Macca's vouchers.

Oh, hang on, I ride Big.

Never mind.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Cardy George wrote:If you think Operation Apollo is closed minded and prejudiced, you should try living here. Guilty before proven innocent is the norm and if a bike is anywhere out of a yard it's in the way. One of the many problems of being an isolated society.
Would you mind elaborating on that. I'm quite curious. In what ways is it worse than more major or more minor metropolitan areas in Vic (or elsewhere.)

Again I'm just curious. My limited observations have been that a notable number of Victoria's regional towns have embraced bicycles in one way or another. Be it the tourism of the alpine region, a renewed expansion of paths in Bendigo/Ballerat, or just a common sight to get around a very small town of Natimuk.
(Natimuk is clear an exception to the normal way of things https://iview.abc.net.au/show/back-road ... 727V003S00)

My presumptions, based on my limited experiences, have been that outer suburban metropolitan city drivers are about the worst. In general whether on my car or on my bike I've found rural driver's much more courteous and patient.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:08 pm

human909 wrote:
Cardy George wrote:If you think Operation Apollo is closed minded and prejudiced, you should try living here. Guilty before proven innocent is the norm and if a bike is anywhere out of a yard it's in the way. One of the many problems of being an isolated society.
Would you mind elaborating on that. I'm quite curious. In what ways is it worse than more major or more minor metropolitan areas in Vic (or elsewhere.)

Again I'm just curious. My limited observations have been that a notable number of Victoria's regional towns have embraced bicycles in one way or another. Be it the tourism of the alpine region, a renewed expansion of paths in Bendigo/Ballerat, or just a common sight to get around a very small town of Natimuk.
(Natimuk is clear an exception to the normal way of things https://iview.abc.net.au/show/back-road ... 727V003S00)

My presumptions, based on my limited experiences, have been that outer suburban metropolitan city drivers are about the worst. In general whether on my car or on my bike I've found rural driver's much more courteous and patient.
Mildura is a significant distance from any other centre, so it's relatively isolated from outside influences, other than city biased media reports. Add on that the area is flat as a tack and windy as hell, and therefore not a cycling destination, and you end up having bikes as an oddity, not a regularity. Also, despite being a country town, EVERYONE is in a massive rush to get any where, so slow moving vehicles in town are not highly tolerated.

Another layer to the cake is the perceived distance out to the satellite towns. I live about 17km away from where I work, yet everyone who doesn't ride thinks it's the other side of earth. They can not imagine riding that far, I must be soooooo fit :shock:

Funnily enough, riding along the car width shoulder of the 100km/h Calder highway, almost every vehicle is on or over the centre line to give me space. It's only in suburbia that I have an issue.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:05 pm

human909 wrote:

It is not very progressive shall we say.
Socially and politically it is very conservative.
I lived there for 6 years, though I do miss the weather.

I was in the cycling club when I did live there and funnily enough cycled with a couple of police members.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Yeah I suppose my stereotype of country towns is just a little more relaxed. Probably still true for the the one pub and a general store sort of small towns.
Cardy George wrote:Also, despite being a country town, EVERYONE is in a massive rush to get any where, so slow moving vehicles in town are not highly tolerated.
This bit did surprise me slightly. But I suppose that is the difference between regional hubs and the quiet hamlets. And also I was trying to be a little bit glass half full hopeful about things. It is just sad that the anti cyclist attitudes extend so far and wide in Australia. And I've never been to Mildura so I suppose I was just giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Some other regional towns Ararat, Bathurst, Lithgow I sense in a few minutes that they really don't seem like bike friendly towns. Just full of utes with big ariels, cars doing burnouts and obvious layers of unpleasantness. (Sorry if I'm offending any residents here. Just superficial observations. If offended please come hang out in much hood of Brunswick and make some superficial observations. :wink: It has the population of a regional hub town.)

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:26 pm

The satellite towns are much more relaxed (some more than others) and much more tolerant of the oddballs wandering thru town.

It's one of the many reasons we live outside of the town limits of Red Cliffs

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:22 pm

human909 wrote:
Some other regional towns Ararat, Bathurst, Lithgow I sense in a few minutes that they really don't seem like bike friendly towns. Just full of utes with big ariels, cars doing burnouts and obvious layers of unpleasantness. (Sorry if I'm offending any residents here. Just superficial observations. If offended please come hang out in much hood of Brunswick and make some superficial observations. :wink: It has the population of a regional hub town.)
Nah.....I lived/worked in Ararat 8 months once. You can’t say anything worse about it than I experienced. The sole saving grace is that it has a Maccas and therefore a reason to stop on your way to anywhere else. Anywhere.....

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:20 pm

fat and old wrote:Nah.....I lived/worked in Ararat 8 months once. You can’t say anything worse about it than I experienced. The sole saving grace is that it has a Maccas and therefore a reason to stop on your way to anywhere else. Anywhere.....
8 months sounds like a long time there.

I know the Maccas. I pass through and grab a quick meal full of fat, carbs and much needed protein after a tiring weekend out. It is easy (though maybe rude and hypocritical) to pass judgement on the waistlines of most of those there having a Sunday night family meal there. But I do think it is indicative, along with the highest percentage of utes with massive ariels that I've ever seen. Though I think they spend more time cruising the streets than in any place that needs 2 or 3 big ariels on the front of your bonnet....