A sense of entitlement?

10speedsemiracer

Re: A sense of entitlement?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:21 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I find it amazing, but not at all surprising, that a simple post about a small group of arrogant cyclists morphed so quickly into a tribal thread of drivers vs riders (who are usually one and the same btw). No wonder trolls find it so easy to get a bite. :roll:

And of course, many are claiming not to be as unfair in their treatment of motorists as are motorists are of them when, by the content of their posts, they very much appear to be so. Or, to put it another way, "I'm not racist but..."

Maybe it's time this thread was put to bed.
+1 for this. Not serving any purpose.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:18 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Not serving any purpose.
Yip. Never did!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:58 am

silentC wrote: The point being made is that it is ridiculous to use the actions of some cyclists as a reason to want to ban us all from certain roads (or all roads depending on the level of fascism). The same argument could be used to suggest banning all cars.

I didn't think banning cyclists from anywhere was the point being made? My understanding of Colin's gripe was all cyclists (well, actually him ) would be judged based on the actions of the twats he saw on the PSP?

We are just asking for a modicum of respect
Isn't that what everyone wants?
and that such drivers adhere fully to the letter and intent of the laws that they have been granted a licence to follow while driving.
Isn't that what everyone expects of the "other" party?

We all humans. :D

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:43 pm

fat and old wrote: I didn't think banning cyclists from anywhere was the point being made? My understanding of Colin's gripe was all cyclists (well, actually him ) would be judged based on the actions of the twats he saw on the PSP?
Yes I went off on a tangent. I do that sometimes.

I was talking about an incident that happened in my neighbourhood and which has added fuel to the fire with regards to cyclists using a particular road here (despite the fact the location was only incidentally connected to what happened). 'They' want us banned from it, and by extension, from all roads with speeds above 50kph.

As a result of this incident, a few local cyclists have expressed the desire for all of us to 'be on our best behaviour' so as to avoid any further criticism. This includes things like suggesting not travelling in large groups, not riding two abreast, keeping as far left as possible to avoid annoying motorists by our mere presence.

This relates to the point being made in the OP that ANY bad cyclist behaviour reflects on ALL cyclists, which as I said annoys me. Not that the point was made, and I accept that it is to an extent true, but that we have the situation in the first place.

The whole business about cyclists stereotyping drivers has absolutely nothing to do with it in my opinion. The subject is only raised as an analogy to illustrate how ridiculous the idea is. If people think it is sensible to rail against cyclists because they once saw one running a red light (or riding through a 'road closed' sign) then I just don't know what else to say to them.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:46 pm

silentC wrote:
fat and old wrote: I didn't think banning cyclists from anywhere was the point being made? My understanding of Colin's gripe was all cyclists (well, actually him ) would be judged based on the actions of the twats he saw on the PSP?
Yes I went off on a tangent. I do that sometimes.

I was talking about an incident that happened in my neighbourhood and which has added fuel to the fire with regards to cyclists using a particular road here (despite the fact the location was only incidentally connected to what happened). 'They' want us banned from it, and by extension, from all roads with speeds above 50kph.

As a result of this incident, a few local cyclists have expressed the desire for all of us to 'be on our best behaviour' so as to avoid any further criticism. This includes things like suggesting not travelling in large groups, not riding two abreast, keeping as far left as possible to avoid annoying motorists by our mere presence.

This relates to the point being made in the OP that ANY bad cyclist behaviour reflects on ALL cyclists, which as I said annoys me. Not that the point was made, and I accept that it is to an extent true, but that we have the situation in the first place.
Yeah, I can understand, and agree with your sentiments. I remain convinced that there's little difference between car divers stereotyping cyclists and vice versa....once it gets beyond that into deliberate actions of intimidation or violence on the roads not so much for obvious reasons. But yes, I agree that the idea that all of any group should be judged by a few is ridiculous.

And yeah, tradies can suck it up :lol: