Under desk cycling

birdwatcher

Under desk cycling

Postby birdwatcher » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Would this item be of any benefit at all for building muscles for real cycling when the requirement to sit at a desk all day cuts into real cycling time? I feel like it would exercise all the wrong muscles (if any) as well as confirming my identity as the weirdo colleague, but it’s cheap - worth a go or no?

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/mini-e ... ike/911877

Scintilla

Re: Under desk cycling

Postby Scintilla » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:23 pm

Going by some comments on the recent ABC program on fitness, squats would be far cheaper and just as good.

Harder to do at the desk I guess :lol:

birdwatcher

Postby birdwatcher » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Yeah, as I mentioned, already the weird one at work so squats are probably not subtle enough...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Scintilla wrote:Going by some comments on the recent ABC program on fitness, squats would be far cheaper and just as good.

Harder to do at the desk I guess :lol:
I think in both cases, the OH&S people will have a fit. I tend to agree, save money and don't bother with this item.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:41 pm

That program

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/truth-about-getting-fit

37"..... "do something that you enjoy doing, and that is far better than guilt or will-power"

I really hate the mind-numbing boredom and exertion of biking on a wind-trainer or mag-trainer. This device is going to be the same, while trying to do a day's work. Lose-lose.

Fausto Coppi, when asked what is the best way to get as fit as he was to win the Giro. Answer? "Ride a bike, ride a bike, ride a bike"
Last edited by Scintilla on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Just do leg lunges on your way to make coffee......drop stuff on the floor so squats to pick up ....nobody will think your weird :wink:

Also google isometrics. I used to do them a lot years ago. Not muscle building but good muscle exercise if dormant at a desk.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 am

birdwatcher wrote:Yeah, as I mentioned, already the weird one at work so squats are probably not subtle enough...
Do them while getting copy paper. Even better, lunges. Or demand a stand up desk/station and leave a few weights on the floor. :lol: