Any solution for frequent flat?

Howzat

Re: Any solution for frequent flat?

Postby Howzat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Jmuzz wrote:80psi seems very high for 32c tyres?
Yeah I agree - might explain why the tyre came off the rim in the first instance.

But +1 for new, puncture-resistant tyres.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:52 pm

Read the sidewall, maker prints their recommended pressure range.

Different tyre models &/or brands often all have different pressure recommended even for the same 1 size.

Listy

Postby Listy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:50 am

After reading through this thread yesterday morning, I almost immediately regretted doing so. As I unlocked my bike to go home yesterday evening I realised I had a flat, my first in many months!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Tamiya wrote:Read the sidewall, maker prints their recommended pressure range.
Sometimes just the do-not-exceed pressure. (E.g. Panaracer)
Tamiya wrote:Different tyre models &/or brands often all have different pressure recommended even for the same 1 size.
Which gives you some idea of how much attention you should pay to what's written on the side wall.
Howzat wrote:
Jmuzz wrote:80psi seems very high for 32c tyres?
Yeah I agree - might explain why the tyre came off the rim in the first instance.
80psi is for loads in excess of 90kg per end by most charts
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

uart

Postby uart » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Thoglette wrote:80psi is for loads in excess of 90kg per end by most charts
Yep, I've even got cheap (sub $20) 32c tyres here that are rated to 100 psi maximum (on hooked bead rims of course).

I weight around 105 kg, and often run them around 75 to 80 PSI without any issues.
Last edited by uart on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:37 am

From Sheldon Browns pages.
Sorry, the table won't display correctly but you can visit the page here:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

Pressure Recommendations
Most tires have a "maximum" pressure, or a recommended pressure range marked on the side of the tire. These pressure ratings are established by the tire manufacturers after consultation with the legal and marketing departments.

The lawyers want the number kept conservatively low, in case the tire gets mounted on a defective or otherwise loose-fitting rim. They commonly shoot for half of the real blow-off pressure.

The marketing department wants the number high, because many tire purchasers make the (unreliable) assumption that the higher the pressure rating, the better the quality of the tire.

Newbies often take these arbitrary ratings as if they had some scientific basis. While you'll rarely get in trouble with this rote approach, you will usually not be getting the best possible performance.

Savvy cyclists experiment with different pressures, and often even vary the pressure for different surface conditions.

Optimal pressure for any given tire will depend on the load it is being asked to support. Thus, a heavier rider needs a higher pressure than a lighter rider, for identical tires.

Since most bicycles have substantially more weight on the rear wheel than on the front, the rear tire should almost always be inflated to a higher pressure than the front, typically by about 10%.

Rough surfaces generally call for a reduction in pressure to improve ride comfort and traction, but there is a risk of pinch flats if you go too far. Even at the lower appropriate pressure, wider tires, because they also are deeper, are more immune to pinch flats.

Rider skill also enters into this: more experienced cyclists learn to "get light" for a fraction of a second while going over rough patches; newbies tend to sit harder on the saddle, increasing the risk of pinch flats.

The table below is based on my experience and a certain amount of guesswork, and should only be used as a very rough guide to a starting point. Interpolate/extrapolate for your own weight/tire sizes.

Tire widths are in millimeters, pressure recommendations in pounds per square inch. (Divide by 15 if your gauge reads in bars/atmospheres.)

Tire width in mm
Wheel load 50 mm 37 mm 32 mm 28 mm 25 mm 23 mm 20 mm
100 lbs/50 kg 45 60 75 100 110 120 130
70 lbs/35 kg 35 50 65 80 90 100 110

Note that these recommendations are based on the actual tire width. Many tires are marked wider than they actually are. See: "Dishonesty in Sizing."

Bicycle Quarterly Magazine has published an article recommending optimum pressures.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/03/ ... take-home/

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:29 am

Very simple fix.

1. Good quality rim tape
2. Good quality tubes
3. Maxxis Refuse tyres

I've been on Refuse tyres (in 23/25/28mm) for 4 or 5 years and haven't had a single puncture, even when riding over broken glass I couldn't avoid. They're very reasonably priced as well.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

chill_8_7

Postby chill_8_7 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:14 pm

I got the pressure recommendation from the place I got the bike and also where I fixed the flats. The value on tyre says 95psi, and they were like maintain between 80-85 psi.. I weigh somewhere around 80kg, so should I stick to like 75 like given in that link or continue with what those guys said?

Maybe will replace the stock tyres after 6 months of buying or if and when I get a flat again (hopefully not in near future).