Why can't any company ship a Norco?

MitraJ

Why can't any company ship a Norco?

Postby MitraJ » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:26 pm

I'm trying to purchase the 2019 Norco Fluid 4 HT and after signing up for two websites and checking out they switch from shipping it to only paying in store. I live 8 hours away from the nearest store so thats not really a possibility. I'm willing to pay extra but one website says "Due to supplier restrictions, most bike brands cannot be shipped". The used bikes in my area are pretty terrible so is it illegal to ship bikes or something?

PS the two websites were:

https://www.99bikes.com.au/norco-fluid- ... ete-2019-1
https://www.bicycle-centre.com.au/products/NOBI19F109

MichaelB

Re: Why can't any company ship a Norco?

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:42 am

Other brands do this as well, such as Giant and Cannondale

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:55 am

Bit weird that Norco can't be shipped, but maybe them the rules.
Just buy - https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... ntain-bike this instead and get a better bike (for a little bit more) and good service. Colour - get it dirty and will look better. whops - looks like it will be cheaper when shipping taken into account.
Shipping of Bikes
Shipping of bikes and other bulky goods is free to 85% of residences in Australia. However, some postcodes incur a surcharge starting from $29.
Once shipped you will be issued a consignment number which can be used to track your parcel. We use Direct Freight Express for deliveries and you can track your delivery by calling 1300 347 397 or online at www.directfreight.com.au.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:04 pm

got a marin from bicycle on line today. have to say it was packed brilliantly - velro ties and foam pads in all the right places. if I was after a hardtail the san Quentin 3 would be well on the list

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Last year when I was buying my Cannondale I spoke to a shop in Melbourne who explained the "no shipping" policy. Dealers have exclusive territories so for example, if a shop in Melbourne sells to a buyer in Brisbane, the Brisbane dealers of the same brand get understandably pissed off. They were still happy to sell me the bike I just had to get someone to physically come into the store. They had to then walk the bike out the front door then walk it back in. After that they could happily ship it to me as it was a "secondhand" bike.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Specialized are the same

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:54 pm

solmanic wrote:Last year when I was buying my Cannondale I spoke to a shop in Melbourne who explained the "no shipping" policy. Dealers have exclusive territories so for example, if a shop in Melbourne sells to a buyer in Brisbane, the Brisbane dealers of the same brand get understandably pissed off. They were still happy to sell me the bike I just had to get someone to physically come into the store. They had to then walk the bike out the front door then walk it back in. After that they could happily ship it to me as it was a "secondhand" bike.
It's not so much territorial, more it's a dealer condition from the manufacturers/importers for warranty purposes that the bike must leave the shop fully assembled.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:51 am

Good point Duck! - there is technically a liability issue when selling bikes that they are assembled properly although in reality it is a known risk but I have never heard a single case of repercussions where a shop/mechanic in Australia was 'done' for negligence.

The warranty requirement is a technicality that could be easily dealt with in court where a brand (or importer) is still liable for a manufacturing defect regardless of how / where it was sold.

Yes - I see that territorial 'happiness' is a consideration. But more important is controlling the retail market and bike shops are not permitted to retail online. The exception is to complete the financial transaction but with a shop pickup.

Part of this is if the brand then decides to sell online, they control the market and would typically refer sales so the closest bike shop is the pickup location.

An advantage that bike shops however have is that they don't get competition on price for those bikes... because a customer has to pickup. So it is in the interest of the bike shops to play along.
Cycling is in my BNA

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:42 am

Duck! wrote:
solmanic wrote:Last year when I was buying my Cannondale I spoke to a shop in Melbourne who explained the "no shipping" policy. Dealers have exclusive territories so for example, if a shop in Melbourne sells to a buyer in Brisbane, the Brisbane dealers of the same brand get understandably pissed off. They were still happy to sell me the bike I just had to get someone to physically come into the store. They had to then walk the bike out the front door then walk it back in. After that they could happily ship it to me as it was a "secondhand" bike.
It's not so much territorial, more it's a dealer condition from the manufacturers/importers for warranty purposes that the bike must leave the shop fully assembled.
So how does that work if you are only purchasing a frame and not a complete bike and the bike shop will only permit pick up?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:58 am

Dealer restrictions. That is all. It’s to manage the brand. BH is one brand that was killed off in australia by having it sold online. And all it took was 1 shop to do it.

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Duck! wrote:It's not so much territorial, more it's a dealer condition from the manufacturers/importers for warranty purposes that the bike must leave the shop fully assembled.
That's a fair reason but not the one I was given. The bike was still to be assembled in the shop but the bits that were to then be removed for shipping (handlebars, seat, wheels and maybe rear derailleur) are the same bits anybody removes themselves when transporting a bike without affecting the warranty.