Bike lights/Garmin ok in carry-on luggage (flying to NZ)

Ross

Bike lights/Garmin ok in carry-on luggage (flying to NZ)

Postby Ross » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:38 pm

So I'm going to NZ soon, hiring a bike over there but bringing my own lights (USB rechargables) and also my own Garmin. Thinking about bringing my own seatpost and saddle as well - like the bike to be set up as close as possible to my own bike as I'm riding ~160km or so. I have a zero setback seatpost on my bike, 99.9% of other bikes now have setback ones.

Also bringing a pump and helmet. Will this stuff be ok in carry-on luggage as I wasn't planning to bring any checked luggage? I'm thinking there could be issues with the seatpost and maybe the pump, could be classed as a weapons?

g-boaf

Re: Bike lights/Garmin ok in carry-on luggsge (flying to NZ)

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Ross wrote:So I'm going to NZ soon, hiring a bike over there but bringing my own lights (USB rechargables) and also my own Garmin. Thinking about bringing my own seatpost and saddle as well - like the bike to be set up as close as possible to my own bike as I'm riding ~160km or so. I have a zero setback seatpost on my bike, 99.9% of other bikes now have setback ones.

Also bringing a pump and helmet. Will this stuff be ok in carry-on luggage as I wasn't planning to bring any checked luggage? I'm thinking there could be issues with the seatpost and maybe the pump, could be classed as a weapons?
Yes, lights and garmin are fine in carry-on luggage. SRAM E-Tap batteries I also had in my cabin baggage.

Saddle should be fine too, but seat post I have no idea about. Pump I'm not so sure about, helmet should definitely come on board in your cabin baggage, as also should be your bike shoes. I'd also recommend having your best/favourite cycling shorts in the cabin baggage too.

If your checked in luggage goes missing and it has your helmet and shoes in it, where do you find replacements for them right away? And will they fit the same or be comfortable?

Duck!
Expert

Re: Bike lights/Garmin ok in carry-on luggage (flying to NZ)

Postby Duck! » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:44 pm

I'd leave the seatpost at home. There is a vast array of seatpost diameters used in the bike industry, so there's a big chance your post won't fit the bike you get over there.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:59 am

160km, sounds like a lap of Lake Taupo.

Agree on the seatpost, leave it at home. But if you love your saddle and it isn't too much hassle, bring it. Just measure the distances (tip to bars) and angle to help you get the position dialed in quickly.

I see no issues with your devices... but don't bring in honey based energy gels. I did once... and declared (of course) but couldn't bring them in. Put the pump / multi-tool in your checked-in luggage. If in any doubt, just declare... better to show them what you have and get through with openness but I don't see any issues and New Zealand is a cycling mecca - especially for MTB so customs will be fairly familiar with bike gear.

Have a brilliant time, New Zealand is fantastic for riding. If you get a chance, hire a bike for some off-road cycling. They have put a lot of money in their trails and they are well worth it if it fits with your itinerary.
Cycling is in my BNA

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 am

Duck! wrote:I'd leave the seatpost at home. There is a vast array of seatpost diameters used in the bike industry, so there's a big chance your post won't fit the bike you get over there.
Current bike is a Tarmac, hire bike is a Tarmac so should be compatible. Much easier to looosen one allen bolt and slide old seat post with seat out and slide new one in and tighten bolt back up rather than stuff around working out seat angles and measurements. And as I mentioned, my seat post is zero setback whereas I'm pretty sure the one on the hire bike will have setback, meaning I could be riding in uncomfortable position for 160km.
Last edited by Ross on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:30 am

AUbicycles wrote:160km, sounds like a lap of Lake Taupo.

Agree on the seatpost, leave it at home. But if you love your saddle and it isn't too much hassle, bring it. Just measure the distances (tip to bars) and angle to help you get the position dialed in quickly.

I see no issues with your devices... but don't bring in honey based energy gels. I did once... and declared (of course) but couldn't bring them in. Put the pump / multi-tool in your checked-in luggage. If in any doubt, just declare... better to show them what you have and get through with openness but I don't see any issues and New Zealand is a cycling mecca - especially for MTB so customs will be fairly familiar with bike gear.

Have a brilliant time, New Zealand is fantastic for riding. If you get a chance, hire a bike for some off-road cycling. They have put a lot of money in their trails and they are well worth it if it fits with your itinerary.
Yes, doing Lake Taupo Challenge.

I don't eat gels so don't have to worry about that.

As I mentioned in my original post I'm not planning to have any checked luggage, just carry-on (only going for a week) . Not bringing or planning on using a multi tool, never had a use for one in 20 years of riding. Bike I'm hiring is a new Tarmac, theoretically checked over and serviced by the hire shop/LBS so shouldn't have any issues.I can hire/buy lights, pumps etc in NZ but very costly and unknown quality so would prefer to use stuff I know is good and I already own. I would of loved to bring my own bike but having travelled o/s a few times before with my bike I find it a major PITA, especially as I only plan to use the bike for one day and then go off and do regular non-bike touristy things.

MTBing - maybe. I'm not really into MTBs, though I do own one but don't ride it that often. It is already costing me NZ$432 just for the road bike hire and I would like to do other non-bike activities as well which have costs associated with them.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:52 am

Take your pedals too.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:04 pm

I took my Favero Assioma's in my carry on luggage domestically.
Had to show them at xray as they had no idea what they were despite me saying "they are pedals with batteries in them" :)

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:55 pm

RonK wrote:Take your pedals too.
Hiring Shimano road pedals for $5. Have to limit the bike stuff I'm taking or I may as well take my bike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Check the specifications on Batteries for both departing AU and departing NZ and keep a copy of the info in case you get an over eager customs inspection. Specs for the electronics that states the battery construction and size could come in handy too.

Don't carry anything in your hand luggage that could be considered a potential weapon, even the multitool could have a sharp that is not permitted.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:57 am

With the Lake Taupo cycling event, there is also support on the course so agree, this shouldn't be a concern, plus fellow riders will also be supportive.

The MTBing is actually fairly good - you can do bike hire and head to Craters of the Moon... like a massive pump-track... lot's of fun.

The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is in the volcanic area at the south end of the lake, in good weather it is a 4-5 hour hike but weather can change rapidly and the track can be closed... but has a beauty that I really want to experience.

And back to the ride, near the airport their is the last hill which seems deceptively flat but catches a lot of riders off-guard. This is not the longer hill on the eastern shore, but closer to when you feel like you should be fairly close to the finish.

I made a video 'fast-forward mode' a number of years ago which gives you a look at the course.

Have a brilliant time.
Cycling is in my BNA

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Some advice from someone who used to do at least two domestic flights a week and seven or eight international flights annually for about 15 years and still fly quite a bit.
You are going for a week so will have all your civilian gear plus bike gear and accessories, laptop, camera and book. You might want to consider that a lot of airlines are getting a bit tough on cabin bag weight, especially when you turn up at check-in with no checked baggage.
The general weight limit is 7kg and most will let you creep up towards 8kg but once you slip over that, it goes in the hold whether you like it or not and you pay extra for the privilege.
Also note that travellers without checked luggage are marked as 'targets' at check-in for extra Customs and Border Force attention as you enter and exit two countries and the NZ guys can be a lot meaner than their Aussie counterparts.
Personally, I'd have checked luggage because the perceived time saving you think you'll have by not having to wait for a suitcase at the carousel is not all that great.
As for the batteries, Lithium-ion and the like have to be in carry-on luggage anyway because, if they ignite, a cabin fire is easier to put out than a hold fire. You can check the amount of volts/watts/etc online but I wouldn't worry about it because a bike light battery will go nowhere near meeting the limit.
When I travel I carry two 20,000ma/h batteries to recharge the laptops and a 5,000ma/h battery to recharge the phones, not to mention the two laptops and two phones that already have their own batteries in them, alive and kicking.
Just my two bobs' worth.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:40 am

I carry my Garmin in carry on luggage ever since a bag went AWOL, fly between NZ and Oz a far bit with no issues. Bring your wet weather and winter gear, weather is currently crap and snow is forecasted in Tongariro today, had hail in Auckland yesterday. I have a 20km running race next weekend between the 2 ski fields on Tongariro the following weekend, I don't want this weather.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:35 am

cancan64 wrote:I carry my Garmin in carry on luggage ever since a bag went AWOL, fly between NZ and Oz a far bit with no issues. Bring your wet weather and winter gear, weather is currently crap and snow is forecasted in Tongariro today, had hail in Auckland yesterday. I have a 20km running race next weekend between the 2 ski fields on Tongariro the following weekend, I don't want this weather.
Got a course profile for the running race?

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:38 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote: Also note that travellers without checked luggage are marked as 'targets' at check-in for extra Customs and Border Force attention as you enter and exit two countries and the NZ guys can be a lot meaner than their Aussie counterparts.
Don’t agree with that at all. Spent last 10 years doing at least 10 international flights per year. Only ever took checked baggage 4 times. Never once had my bags checked by customs. Even entering or returning from Africa.

And agree with the comment about weather in NZ currently. It is terrible. Cold and wet. Went for a ride this morning and spent most of it drafting a grader and hogging the warm air from his radiator. Looks like drying up for next few days though. FWIW I brought all my electronic stuff in carry on bag. No one was fussed.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:04 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Got a course profile for the running race?

https://thegoat.co.nz/event-information/ Hoping to start training this weekend
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:53 pm

cancan64 wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Got a course profile for the running race?

https://thegoat.co.nz/event-information/ Hoping to start training this weekend
Ah I see;
  • The big kid - Ohakune to Turoa
  • The goat - Whakapapa traverse to Turoa
Enjoy

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:31 am

Ross wrote:So I'm going to NZ soon, hiring a bike over there but bringing my own lights (USB rechargables) and also my own Garmin. Thinking about bringing my own seatpost and saddle as well - like the bike to be set up as close as possible to my own bike as I'm riding ~160km or so. I have a zero setback seatpost on my bike, 99.9% of other bikes now have setback ones.

So how did you go? Both the carry on luggage and the ride. I was in Rotorua and it hosed down from about 7am. Went to the hot baths instead of a ride and probably stayed drier. :mrgreen:

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Luggage was ok, ended up taking a day pack as carry-on and a duffel bag for checked luggage.

Packed 2 cycling kits inc knee & arm warmers, gillett, spray jacket, LS winter thermal jersey, road & MTB shoes, 3pr cycling socks and a light autumn/spring jacket. I tend to over pack but I had heaps of room and well within the weight limits (day pack 5kg and duffel bag was about 11kg).

Didn't end up taking lights or saddle /seat post, just my Garmin and a stem mount. Took my pump and a saddle bag with tube and tyre lever but hire bike came supplied with these so I didn't end up using them.

Had 2 small 50ml aerosol cans of deodorant in my carry-on as well as a regular size (175g) toothpast that I thought for sure would be confiscated but didn't. The aerosol cans showed up on the x-ray machine and they opened the bag to check them out then closed it up and put it through again without any further questions. I had another toothpaste and a regular deodorant aerosol can (250ml) in my checked luggage as backup.

The bike 'race' was great, except the weather which rained lightly for the first 30km and then the last 40km. Temp at the start line was about 8 deg and just reached the mid teens by the finish, so pretty ideal.

When I signed up I had no idea which group/wave of riders to nominate myself to start with and picked #6 (of 9) but somehow ended up as #7. Looking at the other riders and bikes in this group it looked a bit slow so I promoted myself to #4.

I ended up dong the full around the lake course in 5hr 1min and 54sec. If I hadn't stopped at the 3/4 mark for something to eat I probably would of cracked the 5 hour mark.

Got to the top of a hill about midway through the ride to see the ambo guys giving CPR to one unfortunate cyclist. I learnt later he passed away. Someone else nearby in a seperate incident was hit by a car and taken to hospital in a serious condition. Overall the riding standards I saw were quite high and the courae marshalls/volunteers were very friendly and helpful and course was well marked where to turn etc and also the traffic was well behaved (no idea what happened in the riser vs car incident )

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:53 pm

Well done... 5hr is the time most seem to want to get under so for a first run and taking a break that is a good time. Weekend ended up being nice in Auckland