Stages Gen 2 dropouts - possible solution?

Arlberg

Stages Gen 2 dropouts - possible solution?

Postby Arlberg » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Is the strength/range of an ANT+ signal generally stronger or weaker than a Bluetooth signal?

The reason I ask is that frequent data dropouts with the Stages Gen 2 units are well known (apparently they have a weak transmitter)and so I'm wondering if anyone has had any success pairing their Stages to their head unit using Bluetooth instead of ANT+? (Obviously you need a head unit with Bluetooth capability).

I have a Garmin Edge 520 plus, has anyone tried pairing one to a Stages via the Bluetooth? Did it work?

Lukeyboy

Re: Stages Gen 2 dropouts - possible solution?

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Save your wages. Don't buy a stages.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 pm

I've just learned that the Garmin 520 Plus, even though it is Bluetooth enabled and pairs with an iPhone, the Bluetooth cannot be used to pair to a fitness device such as a power meter. Apparently other higher end Garmin head units can, so my question now is has anyone with a Stages Gen 2 and a Bluetooth enabled head unit had a reduction in dropouts by pairing via Bluetooth rather than the ANT+?

Also has anyone experienced the dropouts when using Stages own head unit, the Stages Dash, when paired via Bluetooth?

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:10 am

I think the range will be identical with Bluetooth and ANT+. They use the same frequencies, so the transmitter and antenna in the device will be shared and as a result the range will be the same.

Most Edge units don't connect to Bluetooth sensors, just ANT+. They only support Bluetooth for pairing with a phone.