M7 Safety Alert Thread

wombata

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby wombata » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:18 pm

I reported the flooding at Prestons to the M7 office the other day just after it had finished raining. They called me afterwards saying they had erected barricades and had set up a meeting with the land owners next to that part of the pathway to discuss how to free up the drainage that is in place there but has gradually become blocked by the vegetation growth nearby.

Re the photo where riders go onto the wrong side of the path (above, Rockford), the riders coming off the ramp need to deal with the exit speed down the ramp, the sharpness of the turn if the bollard is taken on the left and also the partial blocking of the view up the path by the electricity box. However, the decision to go left or right of the bollard needs to be made prior to obtaining full visibility along the path - not good. Agree with the warning for riders approaching this area to be careful, both directions.

leximack

Postby leximack » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:15 pm

Rockford wrote:Don't suppose there are any plans to add another bubbler in addition to the only one at the m7 offices for the whole 40km length of the cycle way.
and maybe a frozen coke machine around the bubbler area also :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:08 pm

The fact that the vegetation around the area that floods is reeds and bog plants makes me think that flooding will always be an issue there despite what drainage is cleared or improved on. It's probably a 100,000 year old marsh which is why for donkey's years it was only ever the ignored far corner of the Liverpool showground.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 am

leximack wrote:
Rockford wrote:Don't suppose there are any plans to add another bubbler in addition to the only one at the m7 offices for the whole 40km length of the cycle way.
and maybe a frozen coke machine around the bubbler area also :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
After this mornings wet ride maybe a Hot Chicken Soup machine next to it...but seriously the white concrete pathway on the hills around the Elizabeth Dr area North and South is very slippery in the rain. I was finding the whole bike moving across like on ice. The black stuff is fine.

wombata

Postby wombata » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Seem to be making a habit of this...

Just on the south side of the Westlink offices, on the eastern side of the Old Wallgrove Rd overpass, there is a long corner on the footpath covered in debris (as usual, but this time with plenty of glass). I went into the offices and asked whether they might be able to clean the corner - the section might be 50m long. They said they would get onto it today. Anyone?

Wonder if they will be as effective as the man I met riding the path today with a little hand broom and a rubbish bag on his bike so he can sweep and clean the path as he comes across rubbish etc. Thumbs up to you. It was my pleasure meeting and riding with you.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:49 pm

You'll probably find more debris on it at this time due to the school holidays!

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 pm

I reckon they might find MH370 if they mowed the grass along it.

Sinny

Postby Sinny » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:41 pm

wombata wrote:Seem to be making a habit of this...

Just on the south side of the Westlink offices, on the eastern side of the Old Wallgrove Rd overpass, there is a long corner on the footpath covered in debris (as usual, but this time with plenty of glass). I went into the offices and asked whether they might be able to clean the corner - the section might be 50m long. They said they would get onto it today. Anyone?

Wonder if they will be as effective as the man I met riding the path today with a little hand broom and a rubbish bag on his bike so he can sweep and clean the path as he comes across rubbish etc. Thumbs up to you. It was my pleasure meeting and riding with you.
The glass was being cleared up that afternoon as I went through at about 1.30pm.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Grass appears to have been chopped down a lot along many sections of the M7.

And near Elizabeth Hills housing estate, it looks like they are going to complete an access point onto the M7 cycleway from the estate. If it is a paved/hotmix one and not just a dirt track, this will be very, very nice. 8)

Anne-Marie@M7

Postby Anne-Marie@M7 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi Shared Path Users

Just wanted to provide another reminder for the Ride for Refugees charity cycling event on Saturday 10th May 2014 between 7am and 3pm. Riders will set off in a staggered start from the Equestrian Centre at Horsley Park heading north onto the M7 shared path between 7am and 9.30am. The route takes them to Rooty Hill, where they turn around and head back to the Equestrian Centre with all participants finishing by 3pm. The event is not operated by Westlink M7, but we are assisting the organisers by informing users of the shared path. Around 200 participants are expected to attend and it is an all ages, non-competitive event. There will be volunteers assisting with logistics along the route.

Please be aware of the increase in users, and take care if you are using the shared path on this day. For more information about the event, visit http://www.rideforrefugees.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Thanks
Anne-Marie@M7

Dave_C

Postby Dave_C » Thu May 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Wrote to M7 this morniong re the grass length along the path and how it is becoming a safety issue as it is narrowing teh path and blocking vision on corners .
Got an email about 2 hrs later sayong it was forwarded to tne releavant department and within15 minutes I had a call from Anne-Marie at teh M7 ( See above poster) saying they are arware and it is planned within the next couple of weeks.
Dave

Ballmead

Postby Ballmead » Sat May 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Most of the grass has been mowed on the Southern end of the M7 already. I suspect the rest is being mowed over the next few weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 5

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 10, 2014 5:47 pm

The grass is less like a jungle now - that's nice. :)

The notice to take care regarding the ride for refugees was certainly worth it.

peg_legdh

Postby peg_legdh » Thu May 15, 2014 3:02 pm

noticed someone had placed some large trees across the path around Dean Park last night. two teenagers sitting there watching not entirely sure if they had placed them but looked a bit suss. Take care through there.

Dazz

Postby Dazz » Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Trees across the track again with two trolleys either side. 2 teenagers sitting about 10m away at the underpass at the end of sims road just down from Richmond rd bridge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Some hi-res photos of these cretins are needed. I'd do it, but I'm wary of being in an altercation.

trevg

Postby trevg » Thu May 15, 2014 10:01 pm

peg_legdh wrote:noticed someone had placed some large trees across the path around Dean Park last night. two teenagers sitting there watching not entirely sure if they had placed them but looked a bit suss. Take care through there.
I rode past and another rider on his own was having a few words to these teenagers while clearing the path. So my friend and i stopped to make sure the teenagers didn't try anything. We were going to 'convince' them to clear the path but the rider had already cleared the way. Another friend of ours also had some issues with them.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Might be Duncan Gay's children.

coops

Postby coops » Thu May 15, 2014 10:26 pm

trevg wrote: I rode past and another rider on his own was having a few words to these teenagers while clearing the path. So my friend and i stopped to make sure the teenagers didn't try anything. We were going to 'convince' them to clear the path but the rider had already cleared the way. Another friend of ours also had some issues with them.
Thanks trevg and friend, that was me yesterday (and the second time that evening I'd cleared the crap off the path). I rang Quakers Hill police station when I got home. They said it had already been reported and they were sending someone down to have a look. I guess that didn't work if they're still out tonight.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Anne-Marie@M7

Postby Anne-Marie@M7 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:13 pm

RE: Underpass near Richmond Road

Hi All

Thanks for the comments regarding the anti-social behaviour near the underpass near Dean Park. I was notified by a shared path user on Thursday morning and our Shared Path crew attended the area on Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately, similar activity occurred in the same area on Thursday night. Our Shared Path crew attended again today to clean up the area.

I note that it was mentioned that one user contacted the police. I would also encourage you to contact Westlink M7 to report any similar incidents on (02) 9834 9200 (this number will be answered both day and night) so that we can attend to any matters as soon as possible.

I will be providing an update and photos to the coordinator of our Police shared path patrol so that he is fully aware of the incidents.

Please do not hesitate to also email me on amitchell@westlinkm7.com.au if you have any questions or concerns.

Have a good weekend!
Anne-Marie@M7

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat May 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Anne-Marie@M7 wrote:RE: Underpass near Richmond Road

Hi All

Thanks for the comments regarding the anti-social behaviour near the underpass near Dean Park. I was notified by a shared path user on Thursday morning and our Shared Path crew attended the area on Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately, similar activity occurred in the same area on Thursday night. Our Shared Path crew attended again today to clean up the area.

I note that it was mentioned that one user contacted the police. I would also encourage you to contact Westlink M7 to report any similar incidents on (02) 9834 9200 (this number will be answered both day and night) so that we can attend to any matters as soon as possible.

I will be providing an update and photos to the coordinator of our Police shared path patrol so that he is fully aware of the incidents.

Please do not hesitate to also email me on amitchell@westlinkm7.com.au if you have any questions or concerns.

Have a good weekend!
Anne-Marie@M7
thankyou Anne-Marie for the update. we will keep a lookout and report any issues.
Just to remind everyone to take care at night if you stop to remove something blocking the path, could be placed there so they can ambush you when you stop. Ride with a buddy if you can!!

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Is it really that dodgy riding along it at night?

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat May 17, 2014 11:24 pm

tez001 wrote:Is it really that dodgy riding along it at night?
personally after about 7pm i dont ride the cycleway by myself. If im going Solo i plan to be back by 7pm ish. Still lots of people about to feel a sense of safety at that time. I only ride at night (ie 7-10pm type rides) with atleast 1 other person. I have seen some pretty dodgy looking characters along the cycleway, have personally witnessed traps along the path and the injury it can cause, if your by yourself in a situation like that it may not end well. Have seen people chasing other people along there, dogs chasing other people and me also, hitting rabbits and other wildlife, and numerous other things. Basically its good to have a buddy along incase something does happen, it might only be 1 in 1000 rides that something might happen but the more times you ride with someone else/group the better it is IMO.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 18, 2014 3:20 pm

tez001 wrote:Is it really that dodgy riding along it at night?
I agree with Don. I've ridden on there at night during the summer fairly late with no real dramas, apart from the super coach who is fairly okay. But with this lot of blockades/traps, that's deterred me from getting along the northern end of the M7 at night on my own. Too risky. Apart from that, I don't get home early enough to start a full length M7 ride earlier than 6pm - meaning around 8:30pm finish if I go flat out.

I also tend to have a "stadium lighting" setup on the front of my bike (Ayups + another light on top of the bars), excessive I know but it can be useful to spot these traps in enough time.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sun May 18, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Fair enough thanks for the advice. Reading some of the traps, might be best to stick to daylight riding or riding with a couple of others. Shame as it would be nice to be able to cruise along at night