Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

frailer5

Re: Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

Postby frailer5 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Ah, that's a sneaky back-route. I like it. Is the lane Cove Valley Walk paved/ Cyclists allowed? (shared?).
Problem is, regarding somewhere quieter, up this way at least, decent routes are at a premium. North from Hornsby is certainly less fraught than Bobbin Hd rd. Another option is.. something like this. Those from over that way could leave from Eastwood, or Epping. I could meet the pack at bottom Kissing Point Rd. (why did they name 2 such roads in Sydney?). Then back up Kissing Pt rd; I can rat-run you through the back of Warrawee tp bring us out near Hornsby. Thence to Cowan. Pie in the Sky could be a bit crowded, but eats/drinks available there. Depending on how hot/arduous, back to either Hornsby, or down through Bobbin Head (left at mt Colah), then climb out to Turramurra Stn.
At this stage I would probably be OK for 1st or 8th Nov.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:32 pm

frailer5 wrote:Ah, that's a sneaky back-route. I like it. Is the lane Cove Valley Walk paved/ Cyclists allowed? (shared?).
Shared path. Steep going in, steep coming out.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:03 pm

I do Bobbin Head once a month on average as part of the 3 Gorges ride, now and then with a mate but more often on my own. I ride it on saturdays or sundays depending on what i'm doing and yes, there are a lot of other riders but i reckon that's a bonus.

I usually drive up and park at the start of Bobbin Head Road by the school and do the loop but i would love to ride up from Meadowbank as from home to there and then up and down to Bobbo would make for a great ride.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:07 pm

frailer5 wrote:At this stage I would probably be OK for 1st or 8th Nov.
I'd be up for the 8th of November as I'm doing the Sydney to the Gong on the 2nd (work roped me into it).
My partner probably won't be too sympathetic if both Saturday 1st AND Sunday 2nd are taken up with rides...
So, here goes:

Sat 1st Nov: Frailer

Sat 8th Nov: Frailer, Isabella24
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Darn, I am doing the Highland Fling on 9 Nov so

Sat 1st Nov: Frailer, find_bruce

Sat 8th Nov: Frailer, Isabella24
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Sun 2nd Nov Gong Ride: Isabella24, Rheicel, BFV

Sat 8th Nov: Frailer, Isabella24, BFV

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:29 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Sat 1st Nov: Frailer, find_bruce

Good thinking BFV!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:34 pm

Sat 8th Nov: Frailer, Isabella24, BFV, Hergest

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:49 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
frailer5 wrote:Ah, that's a sneaky back-route. I like it. Is the lane Cove Valley Walk paved/ Cyclists allowed? (shared?).
Shared path. Steep going in, steep coming out.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Rotovelo?? :oops: :oops:
might ride on my own :cry:

:mrgreen:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Sat 1st Nov: Frailer, find_bruce

Sun 2nd Nov Gong Ride: Isabella24, Rheicel, BFV, Green Rocket

Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

vikramranna

Postby vikramranna » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:37 pm

I don't think I will be joining you guys in the 8th as I am doing a ride with another group but the same route you are planning.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 pm

Dang! Syd-NC 8th-9th.

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 am

Sun 2nd Nov Gong Ride: Isabella24, Rheicel, BFV, Green Rocket, Zebee

Seeing as the Rocket is there, someone can keep me company up the hills. Which of the several routes and starts do we agree on?

isabella24

Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

Postby isabella24 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:15 am

Just to avoid any confusion, the proposed Bobbin Head ride dates are:

The Sydney to the Gong ride is:

Sun 2nd Nov Gong Ride: Isabella24, Rheicel, BFV, Green Rocket, Zebee
zebee wrote: Seeing as the Rocket is there, someone can keep me company up the hills. Which of the several routes and starts do we agree on?
The route for the Sydney to the gong ride that you put your name down for is set by the event organizers.

The bobbin head ride route, I'm leaving up to the people who know!! :D

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:19 am

Yes, I think I confused people. Sorry. I was putting up the Gong ride info so that you can see who else is riding there and keep an eye out for them. I'm riding with Rheicel as a Mobile Support rider. We'll be slow as hell due to having to stop and fix bikes along the way. People are welcome to ride along with us, but we'll be stopping all of the time.
If anyone is riding by themselves, they may pick up a riding partner from our little cohort. Remember, assigned starting times are suggestions only. Go when you want.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 am

You can check this route fellas : http://www.strava.com/routes/1085849

It will be Meadowbank, Eastwood, Lane Cove Walk, Kissing Point, Pacific H-Way, Pie in the Sky.
Back via Bobbin Head, Lane Cove National Park, Shrimpton Creek then all the way to Meadowbank. Most of you will be able to complete a good Gran Fondo Ride.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am

rheicel wrote:You can check this route fellas : http://www.strava.com/routes/1085849

It will be Meadowbank, Eastwood, Lane Cove Walk, Kissing Point, Pacific H-Way, Pie in the Sky.
Back via Bobbin Head, Lane Cove National Park, Shrimpton Creek then all the way to Meadowbank. Most of you will be able to complete a good Gran Fondo Ride.
Sounds like a good idea, but way too much Pacific Hwy (Turramurra/Wahroonga to Chatswood) for my liking. Is it quiet enough on a Saturday?

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:32 am

You can replace the Pacific H-way with back roads but I have not tried it before.
North Bound is usually quiet Saturday morning. Beyond Hornsby, Pacific Hway is a great quiet road most of the time.
South Bound, Turra to Chatswood, hhhmmmm. Based on experience, if you are riding around midday, this stretch should not be a problem too. If you do not want this Pstretch of Pacific Hway, then you can also return via Kissing point and enjoy the long down hill. Be careful on this stretch as you can easily speed up to 60/70kph without even noticing it :D

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:36 am

Completely forgot about the 'gong ride.

bfv, my take on the Pacific Hwy south of Hornsby is... no. I know guys do it, but when I'm driving on it I just shake my head and ask... why? Could be I'm too old to do S lanes with impatient drivers. Saturdays there are worse than a week day. You've got Central Coast traffic funnelling in.. a nightmare, at the risk of sounding dramatic.
North of Hornsby.. no real worries. Would think that crossing over the Pac Hwy at top of Kissing Pt Rd and rat running through Warrawee would be fine, (Eastern Rd, Bangalla, other back streets.. then Alexandra Pde to Hornsby, the latter my work commute start). Same can be done to get through to Bobbin Hd Rd., if Bobbin Head is the destination. The old Pac Hwy ride Hornsby to Cowan is pretty civilised, as an alternative to Bobbin Head.

I think rhiecel and I have a slightly different view on the Pacific on Saturday due to speed and age difference. :lol:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:42 pm

I think Kissing Pt Road, rat run to Old Pac Hwy, back to Bobbo, then rat run to Kissing Pt again might be the best option. Let's put it to a vote. If you've got a route map frailer5 (Mark? Paul? I've forgotten, sorry), I'd love to see it.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Definitely Kissing Point for me. The chap i ride with now and then lives in Lane Cove and if we do 3 Gorges or Akuna Bay we go back via the Pacific Highway but to be honest i dislike it a lot. Traffic is very heavy by midday on both saturday and sunday and through some of the suburbs with shops on the side of the highway where the parking lane is full you have to claim the lane and ride as quick as you can, when you've got 90 kms of climbing in your legs it is a bit painful.

Kissing Point Road is fine though and it means only a bit of Pacific Highway.

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:12 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Yes, I think I confused people. Sorry. I was putting up the Gong ride info so that you can see who else is riding there and keep an eye out for them. I'm riding with Rheicel as a Mobile Support rider. We'll be slow as hell due to having to stop and fix bikes along the way. People are welcome to ride along with us, but we'll be stopping all of the time.
If anyone is riding by themselves, they may pick up a riding partner from our little cohort. Remember, assigned starting times are suggestions only. Go when you want.
AH, well I am not doing the Gong. I have been motorcycle marshal a few times, but not this year.

Looks like Sun 2nd has been booked for me anyway

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:15 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I think Kissing Pt Road, rat run to Old Pac Hwy, back to Bobbo, then rat run to Kissing Pt again might be the best option. Let's put it to a vote. If you've got a route map frailer5 (Mark? Paul? I've forgotten, sorry), I'd love to see it.
... it's Paul. No probs, I'm dodgy on names myself. (Quang would confirm, as I've asked him about peoples' names on occasion in hushed tones).
bfv, I'll work up a mapmyride tomorrow, and link.
And the other Paul's experience would ring true. I haven't tried it for some years. :)

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Here's a rough guide.

Kissing Pt Rd~Cowan_Bobbo

Please flag if it's not public view; couldn't see any settings to indicate otherwise. From top of Kissing Pt Rd I'll be rat-run guide to get us to Hornsby/Pac Hwy in reasonable quiet. I'll see how many work rides I get in up to then. I may meet you guys further down or wimp out and go from Turramurra/Pac Hwy. Plan there is to walk bikes across pedestrian crossing. Then to back of Coles>short pedestrian path to Cherry St; wind up through Warrawee. Then on to Alexandra Pde. After that it's Pac Hwy to Cowan.
Don't forget the 3D flyover option, radio button, top/right map window.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:28 pm

I can only see that the page is yours Paul and have no options to view anything. It doesn't bother me as i'll just follow whoever knows where we're going.

Are there really 31,426,128 other Pauls who are also members on Map My Ride so you had to use that moniker? I had better not join then :D