SOP Safety Alert Thread

ab012

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby ab012 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:20 pm

actually - where exactly is it? coming from station - is it turn left (towards Newington) or right (towards homebush)?

I have been avoiding Aust Ave during daytime. Had to turn right from station this morning and nothing happened thankfully.

(i have also given up on challenging the concord west tunnel bird. During daytime I either go via North Strathfield (with the thinking that somehow cars are better then that damn bird), or I walk the bit outside the tunnel :oops: )

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:30 pm

pretty much near the ferris wheel stands. If you'd come out of the station and turned left it would have been just there.

Oddly I keep hearing about the butcher at concord west station, but I've yet to encounter that one.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Pretty ugly with all the debris from the storm today but all the downed trees have been removed from the road and cycle lanes

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:19 am

The build phase has kicked in for the V8 supercars, where roads are closed and chaos ensues for 6-8 weeks to allow for cars to drive in circles for 2 days.
http://www.sopa.nsw.gov.au/__data/asset ... _and_3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:58 pm

The bike lanes at SOP have gone to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! for 6 weeks.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:08 pm

For those heading to SOP from the west on the M4 path. Where it runs behind Bunnings at Lidcombe yesterday's heat has lifted a section of concrete to make a sharp and steep ramp so get ready to hit the brakes.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

caneye

Postby caneye » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:17 am

Is there any water fountain or bubbler in SOP?

Warin

Postby Warin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:35 pm

There are a number of fountains. I'd not drink from them though. Cannot remember any blubbers and I cannot see any in the OSM map. There are toilets and playgrounds .. they can be sources of drinking water.

Edit --------------
Found drinking water .. under OsmAnd POI search they are under 'sustenance' and they are mapped .. but not where I was looking in the center of the OP .. maybe there just not mapped in the center. I've now store it as a 'custom search' - I've also combined it with bicycle shops, playgrounds, toilets, etc.
Last edited by Warin on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:16 pm

caneye wrote:Is there any water fountain or bubbler in SOP?
Yes plenty.
Most of the longer walking/bike paths have them. There's a water bottle fill station at the armoury. There's a bubbler outside the train station, one outside the toilet block near Silverwater bridge, one under the big power lines footpath heading inland from the river, one near John Ian Wing Parade heading out of SOP toward Newington.... there's heaps.
There's no shortage.

T.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:11 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:The bike lanes at SOP have gone to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! for 6 weeks.
Just noticed this post. Just the other side of australia ave from this photo the bike lane was blocked until christmas with half a dozen signs for no left turn as aus ave was still closed. Up until last week the lane was basically still unridable with pine debris.
Sopa really are useless at traffic management.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:10 pm

Benelong parkway about 50 metres back towards homebush bay drive from the new intersection being built the cycle lane is blocked off with concrete barriers. It looks like this is for repairs to the footpath.

plenty of fluoro signs but no lighting in the area or on the barrier.
Anyone know if sopa or auburn council has authority on this area?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:20 am

tubby74 wrote:Benelong parkway about 50 metres back towards homebush bay drive from the new intersection being built the cycle lane is blocked off with concrete barriers. It looks like this is for repairs to the footpath.

plenty of fluoro signs but no lighting in the area or on the barrier.
Anyone know if sopa or auburn council has authority on this area?
Not one skerrick of actual work has been undertaken in the two weeks this has been blocking the cycle lane. Ridiculous.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ab012

Postby ab012 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:24 am

yup have not noticed any work either (I go past this most days, at various hours..) :evil:

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:13 am

wombatK wrote: Not one skerrick of actual work has been undertaken in the two weeks this has been blocking the cycle lane. Ridiculous.
that isn't true - the cycle lane closed sign has now been changed to one that says cyclists dismount here.
early on when they were doing the intersection up a bit they had it as a 40 zone, and as an average sort of road rider that seems to be the speed I do through that area. Alas that's long gone, it only lasted a couple of weeks on a project that ran over 6 months

Also noticed last night that further round behind the brick pit is again getting buried under pine needles and small branches. wonder if the ranger who followed me as I rode outside the lane to avoid the debris thought I was just being difficult.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:30 pm

I think it might be due to this

http://www.sopa.nsw.gov.au/for_business ... et_project" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which looks like its going to be going for a while...

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Thats the road about 100m west of where the barrier is now. Used to be exactly the same issue there though.

I have a traffic.meeting with council next week and have already put this one on the agenda but have little hope for the engineer. Last issue I reported to him he replied "bikes shouldnt be on the road".

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:04 am

Back section alongside the brick pit car parks had wood mulch dumped for the tree beds but it was tipped into the cycle lane, in some cases completely covering it.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:05 am

Further along the construction bit:
http://www.sopa.nsw.gov.au/resource_cen ... ose_avenue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take extra care as cars and bikes might be a bit confused by this. (I think i will take the lane there from now on even without the construction.. potentially dangerous with cars (and bikes..) coming down the hill from Murray Rose and also potentially cars wishing to turn left over the bike lane up to Murray Rose.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:14 pm

For those who continue on to Rhodes, the Rhodes foreshore path is now closed due to construction of the Homebush Bay bridge which is about halfway along the path. The Strava segment 'Earplug Plodders' will be unbeatable for a while. :D

ab012

Postby ab012 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Hergest wrote:For those who continue on to Rhodes, the Rhodes foreshore path is now closed due to construction of the Homebush Bay bridge which is about halfway along the path. The Strava segment 'Earplug Plodders' will be unbeatable for a while. :D
Did they provide a quoted reopening date? :|

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:19 pm

Completely blocked off or blocked off at certain times?

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:52 pm

tez001 wrote:Completely blocked off or blocked off at certain times?

Completely blocked off. The signs say to use other path but the parallel path is also blocked off so it's easier to go down the back street just one block from the water which is Shoreline Drive. Lots of full carspaces on both sides of that road so at certain times of the day exercising caution would be important.

The Strava map from the ride I did this morning shows how I had to take the road and where the path is closed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/286824750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure how long it will be closed off there, a while I would say. There's a website. http://www.homebushbaybridge.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:08 pm

Hergest wrote:
tez001 wrote:Completely blocked off or blocked off at certain times?

Completely blocked off. The signs say to use other path but the parallel path is also blocked off so it's easier to go down the back street just one block from the water which is Shoreline Drive. Lots of full carspaces on both sides of that road so at certain times of the day exercising caution would be important.

The Strava map from the ride I did this morning shows how I had to take the road and where the path is closed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/286824750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure how long it will be closed off there, a while I would say. There's a website. http://www.homebushbaybridge.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Given that the bridge will be great once it's built it is for the greater good. In the olden days I used to ride Walker St past Rhodes (I don't think Shoreline Drive existed 4-5 yrs ago?). Take the lane and all will be well ;).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:23 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Given that the bridge will be great once it's built it is for the greater good. In the olden days I used to ride Walker St past Rhodes (I don't think Shoreline Drive existed 4-5 yrs ago?). Take the lane and all will be well ;).
I agree.

I had to do a job at the old paint factory at Rhodes about 12 years ago fencing off a hole cut in the floor of the derelict factory so they could get a tower crane in. Nearly all of Rhodes was a toxic dump then with a few housing commission houses and one or two roads. It's amazing to ride along the foreshore and see what a decent job has been made of it all.

As long as the bridge remains public transport and peds/cyclists only it will be a real boon and hopefully with better public transport around there will take some traffic off the loop roads of Olympic Park.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:40 pm

had a meeting with council and sopa a couple of weeks ago. I raised just how dangerous the barriers along Bennelong parkway were, another person there (not a cyclist) said she'd had a near miss with cars doing dangerous overtakes and forcing oncoming cars onto the cycle lane on the other side. Sop'as response, "well it must have been in the traffic management plan." Sadly I've had this before, safety is not a concern at all with SOPA, just ass covering. Soon there will be a second intersection there, one will be left turn only and one will be traffic lights. hopefully there will at least be street lights at the worst spots, but I have seriously little faith in SOPA's ability to do anything safely, too many dismissive and just plain incorrect responses to safety and traffic issues.